My irk with Enchanting

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Why is enchanting the only profession that is literally forced to benefit others with no reward?

Every dungeon group or raid people take advantage of my profession without investing any of the time or money I did into it. I receive no reward for it, and neither skinners nor miners are forced to share there profession when they get access to skins/mines that the "group" allowed.

This completely undermines a legitimate stream of revenue for enchanters and deflates the value of my services.

I would propose either A) not forcing us to share our profession or B) giving us 10% of what the item disenchanted to. Granted this may end up being 1 dust or perhaps 1 lesser essence... but something at least.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Yeah, imo, that's unfair for enchanters. Decreases their direct service profits and then floods the market with enchanting mats to even further decrease profit. It should be the group enchanter's choice to disenchant the drops or not because it directly affects him especially if the whole group is on same server.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Why is enchanting the only profession that has it's "gathering" skill baked in?

Split enchanting into enchanting and disenchanting. And make disenchanting a skill like herbalism, mining, or skinning.

Because you're right, it is unfair.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
We can even call it "Essence gathering".

Add nodes around the world you have to hunt down to use your skill on. Then remove disenchanting items altogether!

Welcome to every other profession guys, enjoy your stay!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
And then, you won't be shackled to groups to get the materials for your profession. You can go get them alone!

Man, this is a win for everyone around!

Well, except those who want to sit in groups and need on everything to DE or claim they'll "hand out the shards after the run" then leave the group and basically ninja things. Basically the dishonest, greedy, selfish ones.

You're not one of those are you?

Are you?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
WTF this horse is dead..dead and decomposed.

I have a maxed enchanter.
nobody gets enchanting benefit from us. they get a secondary benefit that enchanters are lucky to have.

I have a Blacksmith, potion master and inscriptionest. NONE of them have a secondary benefit that helps the main profession.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Enchanters do not have a gathering profession "baked" into enchanting.

Scribes use Ink, which you cant gather. You have to mill herbs.
Jewelcrafters use gems, which you cant gather, you have to prosect ore.
Enchanters use essence/dust, which you cant gather, you have to DE random drops.

All 3 of those professions get their raw materials by farming either nodes or mobs. I see no problem other then prople getting free enchanting mats.

Why dont i get free skins from mobs i help kill in dungeons, or free ore/herbs from nodes in dungeons im in?
Reply Quote
Trallara is pretty much the only person to write anything sensible on this subject. I would be fine with a secondary gathering profession to pick up enchanting material.

My issue stems from the fact that the only way for me to level my enchanting without sinking vast amounts of gold into the AH to buy materials that are grossly overpriced (trust me people know which mats are used for levelling) is to run in dungeons. Where I am lucky to even get one green for myself. Sure I get an overabundance of shards which I am sure you can note are incredibly cheap since that is the only material an enchanter is going to get on a regular basis.

Is anyone even going to argue that enchanting in it of itself is one of the most aggravating professions to level?

And to Chigurh. Ah yes the complimentary search button post.

Why don't you use the search button before replying to my post? I am sure your reply has been sent before. Or better yet... don't read my post if it burns your eyes so badly. I don't seem to recall it being mandatory to read my post?

Constructive feedback is always appreciated. Random blubbery not so much.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
My issue stems from the fact that the only way for me to level my enchanting without sinking vast amounts of gold into the AH to buy materials that are grossly overpriced (trust me people know which mats are used for levelling) is to run in dungeons. Where I am lucky to even get one green for myself

those mats never would have been yours anyway. They would have been greens that the other people won and probably vendored, maybe sent to an alt to DE. so those mats you have to "sink massive amounts of gold into the AH" would just cost more and be harder to find because less mats would exist.
03/24/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Skaern
Is anyone even going to argue that enchanting in it of itself is one of the most aggravating professions to level?

i would say most professions are rougly equal to level with 2 exceptions, leatherworking being the worst by far and tailoring being somewhat(not a ton) more difficult than average. With your argument in regards to this, dungeon DE makes it easier anyway.
Reply Quote
03/24/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Zachknight
My issue stems from the fact that the only way for me to level my enchanting without sinking vast amounts of gold into the AH to buy materials that are grossly overpriced (trust me people know which mats are used for levelling) is to run in dungeons. Where I am lucky to even get one green for myself

those mats never would have been yours anyway. They would have been greens that the other people won and probably vendored, maybe sent to an alt to DE. so those mats you have to "sink massive amounts of gold into the AH" would just cost more and be harder to find because less mats would exist.
03/24/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Skaern

i would say most professions are rougly equal to level with 2 exceptions, leatherworking being the worst by far and tailoring being somewhat(not a ton) more difficult than average. With your argument in regards to this, dungeon DE makes it easier anyway.

There was a time when if you had enchanting in a group people would give the greens to you to disenchant so they could sell the mats if it was a trash item. It was not uncommon to let the enchanter keep one piece of the raw material it was turned into as a nod for such services.

Sure I could go and outlevel all the the dungeons and disenchant everything to my hearts content, but it irks me that something that was once a "service" is now forced out to everyone I am around. If I don't get the item why am I forced to disenchant it for someone else for nothing?

As I stated previously enchanting materials that are used regularly for levelling the profession have greatly increased in value. Some even surpassing the price for mats used in high end enchants. Why? Because people know we need it and since they get it for free from running with us they in turn around and rake us.

It is masochism to an extent.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
There was a time when if you had enchanting in a group people would give the greens to you to disenchant so they could sell the mats if it was a trash item. It was not uncommon to let the enchanter keep one piece of the raw material it was turned into as a nod for such services.

i think you are remember it how you want to. Im not saying that never happened but ive been an enchanter since vanilla i would say that was rare at best.

what was common was enchanters greed rolling and DEing loot and rolling for shards at the end of an instance.
Edited by Zachknight on 3/24/2012 2:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
03/24/2012 06:35 AMPosted by Trallara

Tailoring.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
03/24/2012 02:48 PMPosted by Keeblik

Tailoring.

i dont really totaly feel like tailoring fits in there, but even if you consider that it does that would uphold dungeon DE since everyone can loot cloth.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
03/24/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Zachknight
i would say most professions are rougly equal to level with 2 exceptions, leatherworking being the worst by far

Damn it, man! Are you telling me that I need to drop LW? /cry

In all seriousness, I dread having to level LW at the beginning of every expansion, and I may finally drop it before MoP.

03/24/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Skaern
As I stated previously enchanting materials that are used regularly for levelling the profession have greatly increased in value. Some even surpassing the price for mats used in high end enchants.

You're doing it wrong if you depend on instance drops for mats.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Its done and its not going to change people just need to let this one go, yeah its a little unfair but who cares, the bulk of the community is happy with it.

Having said that im not happy i'd much rather the option to leave my chanting rod in the bank so i at least have a choice.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
03/24/2012 02:54 PMPosted by Zachknight
i dont really totaly feel like tailoring fits in there, but even if you consider that it does that would uphold dungeon DE since everyone can loot cloth.

I'm talking about frostweave and embersilk scavenging. Anyone can loot the cloth that would be there anyway if the tailor weren't in the group, but only the tailor has access to the extra cloth.
Edited by Keeblik on 3/24/2012 8:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
03/24/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Skaern
Why is enchanting the only profession that is literally forced to benefit others with no reward?
There is much drama in your life. You should see your guidance counsellor.

Why is tanking the only role that is literally forced to benefit every member of the group with the same rewards as everybody else?
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
fair enough
Reply Quote
03/24/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Skaern
This completely undermines a legitimate stream of revenue for enchanters and deflates the value of my services.

Both statements are false. If no group DE was allowed, then you'd get exactly the same amount of materials. In addition, the extra mats other players from different realms obtain are not going to shape your local AH at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]