PvP in vanilla WoW vs. PvP we have today

60 Human Warrior
So last time I actually got into PvP was pre-bc and at the beginning of BC, I just recently decided to give Blizz another chance and tried taking up PvP again. Now this is just my opinion but it was nothing like it used to be 5-6 years ago. Just wanted other opinions on which PvP era they preferred and why they liked that PvP time better.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Vanila days pvp was awesome I loved it. I did not like or attempt the grind for rank 13-14.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Pre-battleground of any sort, when the level cap was 50, almost every server had a constant war between Southshore and Tarren Mill, or between Astranaar, Splintertree, and Crossroads. I can remember a couple of dishonorable kills that showed on my tab for the longest time. Of course, it took forty of us to clear lower Blackrock then, too.

I liked pvp in the beginning, I like the way pvp has evolved, and I certainly enjoy pvp the way it is now.
Reply Quote
60 Human Warrior
PvP now does have its moments, I do enjoy IoC occasionally, would like to see AV back the way it was though, farming up for Ivus and saving up armor pieces.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
03/25/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Felene
I like the way pvp has evolved, and I certainly enjoy pvp the way it is now

LIES! Let this be stricken from the records!
Reply Quote
Say what you will about the current state of pvp, there is one fact that holds absolutely true. You can play any class/spec in unrated content. Every spec in the game can be played, rather well, in BG's.

So, if you want to look at apples to apples. PvP is clearly better now than vanilla where only certain classes and specs had any viability. Also, say what you will about pvp gear, it does allow people to participate in the game without getting trounced by people wearing gear you have no access to.

Arenas suffer from clear imbalance, always have (always will?), but they weren't around in vanilla so that means whatever shape they are in, they are only extra options for players.

Here is how it stacks up: vanilla = poor choices (both different types of games and classes) and poor gameplay (clear issues with letting people pvp without pve).
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Classic: Actual "stunlocks," frequent one-shotting, insane imbalance between classes. Only redeeming factor was a sense of community and lightheartedness in the PvP.

Cataclysm: Extreme variation in class strength, strong encouragement to communicate to cycle CCs to score kills. Offset by certain classes having extreme burst, PvE items becoming widely used because of how large of an advantage they offer, and the average PvPer being a complete !@#$%^.

I'm not fond of either. I think they had it the closest to being right in Seasons 7 and 8. PvE gear had an iron grip on both of those seasons as it had on all the past and future seasons, though.
Reply Quote
87 Human Rogue
This game has never been and will never be balanced around pvp.

As a launch player having played from day one on and off, when most people refer to "vanilla" pvp they have no idea what they are talking about. Sure the "epicness" of southshore and TM fights were fun and city raids were more common but when you really break down pvp it was awful. Certain classes were pigeonholed into only certain specs, and pve gear completely ran the game. Granted it still does to a certain extent...but not like before. I used to run around with full tier 3 + servo arms as hemo spec and literally kill people inside a cheapshot...

While this game is and will always be flawed it's in better shape than it was in vanilla.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Definitely found that one has to create their own fun these days. the intersection of quests in southshore area obvs isnt there anymore. Having said that, inserting shameless plug:

our guild works hard at wpvp, pvp (as well as pve), we create activities and fun. Storming Stormwind, Wrath, as well as guild goals to hold alliance buildings / territory happen often on our realm, Ysondre.

There is also an assassination list on our realm (not run by me/Vixens).

All of this combines to form a fun environment, so if you're looking for this type of activity contact me in game. You won't be disappointed running Horde with Vixens. Vixens is themed as female toon only (IRL does not matter).

All the best,

Diesirae
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
03/27/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Trhavok
I used to run around with full tier 3 + servo arms as hemo spec and literally kill people inside a cheapshot...

Been on the receiving end of those !@#$ing arms more than once... :|
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I miss my Melee hunter :(
Reply Quote
Ya, the final Survival Talent Lacerate was amazing for hunters....
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I had the 38 pvp bow and a 38 blue sword on my hunter. He hit harder in melee.
Edited by Vylvias on 3/27/2012 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
PvP in Vanilla WoW was awful and I think it was awful in BC as well. Anyone who says PvP didn't suck in Vanilla either:
A. Was a rogue, or a hunter, a decked warrior, a shaman before windfury nerf, or a shadow priest.
B. WoW was new in Vanilla, that's why it seems like it was better back then than it is now. However if everyone right now played Vanilla WoW, they'd quickly realize how much better the game has gotten over the years.

The problem with PvP in BC was that resilience was a new stat, so it was tweaked and changed all the time. My main issue with resilience in BC was that it was way too overpowered. There wasn't much burst in BC PvP besides classes like Ele shamans.

I think PvP in WOTLK was the best and I think PvP now is still pretty good, but I liked it more in WOTLK.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Ah yes those crits someone could get that would completely change the outcome of the fight even if the other player had the upper hand.

No, pvp is looking pretty good right now.
Reply Quote
03/25/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Sagaric
So last time I actually got into PvP was pre-bc and at the beginning of BC, I just recently decided to give Blizz another chance and tried taking up PvP again. Now this is just my opinion but it was nothing like it used to be 5-6 years ago. Just wanted other opinions on which PvP era they preferred and why they liked that PvP time better.

while the game still has its myriad issues, i think youre absolutely nuts if you think the game was better 5-6 years ago.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I personally liked the worthwhile grind of the days of yore, that is, the grind meant something not only to you, but other players.

These days, the grind is owned by so many players because it takes like 5 weeks to do all there is to be done.

But thats just a sentimental thing.

I thought PvP shined in early WOTLK. And I thoroughly enjoyed PvP in BC until 2.3. (But, at 2.3, I was heavy into the raiding scene, what with how balance druids chained starfire at a quick cast with consistent crits and massive damage. Ah, pulling the bosses off of well established aggro tanks.)

I also thought Vanilla and BC were the only times WoW's raid scene got progressively -better-. The introduction of The Argent Tournament and Hour of Twilight patches have both, in all senses of the word, !@#$ed over raiding scenes.

Oh, look at me, arguing the entire game in a PvP thread.

tl;dr, PvP now is not the best, but definitely not the worst.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
dunno why everyone always says vanilla pvp was the best, it was far harder to obtain competitive gear and as a result, most people didn't have decent gear for a long time and got smashed by anything with decent gear, whether it was a hardcore pve'er or pvp'er. did anyone here really enjoy sitting in a 45 second sap? or a poly of the same duration? or being fear spammed, literally? pre-DR? and even then, legendary's were OP - pve gear was even more used in pvp because there was no resilience, there was no real negative consequence from using pve gear, infact, getting decked in pve gear was the fastest way to get to rank 14 with the grind.

every expac had ridiculous aspects in pvp, @ all the people claiming "Vanilla pvp was the golden pvp" blah blah, get off the bandwagon and realise that vanilla pvp didn't have the sun shining out of its a$$.

even better when you get the people who admit to never playing vanilla, but they still jump on the 'vanilla was the best' bandwagon. there's vanilla private servers that are completely 'blizz-like' (with the exception of some bugs, but vanilla had its fair share of stupid bugs) and when you go back and play them to 'relive the glory days' it really isn't as great as everyone remembers.
Edited by Thünder on 3/27/2012 9:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]