After CTC Cap, Stam Stacker or Hit Happy?

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Recently my raiding group has dived into some Heroic mode Dragon Soul fights, starting with Mor-Loot, Ultraxion, Yor'sahj, and Hagara. I currently co-tank with a nice Bear Druid, but tanking with him and his massive HP pool makes me realize: how badly will I get messed up in Yor'sahj and Hagara with 0 stamina gems? My healers reassure me that I don't take much damage in magical fights, but is it truly worth passing up extra stamina for hit and expertise rating? If stamina is king, should I replace ALL my gems with hybrid Mastery/Stam gems, or should I keep a few hit/expertise gems?

Thanks for viewing this lowly paladin's thread!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
If your group needs extra DPS and you're in no danger of dying, go ahead and put on hit/exp. Otherwise, stamina is safer.

The overall idea behind stamina stacking is that you get as much CTC from gear as possible and then getting as much stamina from gems/trinkets as you can, making sure that you achieve CTC cap.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Generally you don't put in hit/expertise gems, you use stam/mastery gems and reforge for a little hit and expertise. :X

At least in my experience.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I stack sta on my paladin, but I'm thinking of swapping in some hit/exp. I don't raid a whole lot with him and constantly missing in heroics gets annoying. Especially when it's a hammer of the righteous that misses the big aoe pack as it's on the way to stomp the healer.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
You can't reforge into stamina, so you have to gem for it. You should reforge into hit and expertise, though red sockets are perfect for expertise/stam gems. With enough gear you can do both!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormreaver/mnemoniq/advanced
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
Basically what Mnemonic said. Except he's a dirty Paladin and gets 10 free expertise, so I hate him.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for the advice everyone! I do appreciate the responses and their lack of "LOL, L2P." This is why I love the tanking forums. :D

I shall certainly be swapping out gems and reforging to fit the advice everyone has given me, thanks once more!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You can't reforge into stamina, so you have to gem for it. You should reforge into hit and expertise, though red sockets are perfect for expertise/stam gems. With enough gear you can do both!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormreaver/mnemoniq/advanced

/stillstrawberryjelly
Edited by Plethora on 3/26/2012 12:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
03/26/2012 11:57 AMPosted by Sildas
Basically what Mnemonic said. Except he's a dirty Paladin and gets 10 free expertise, so I hate him.

Oddly enough if I get the VP helm I'll be at 21 or 22 expertise (without SoT glyphed) before tightening up my reforging to walk the razor's edge of the mastery cap more closely.

I'm always a bit over in my tank gear one way or another due to trinket swapping for certain DS fights.

However if I get the VP helm I'd swap in the +10% healing from WoG glyph.
Edited by Fangthane on 3/26/2012 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Oboron if you're dps has no issues and they almost always show up so that you aren't taking a chance with a dps PuG who might underperform then go with more stamina after getting block capped.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Well, you are a tank, id say stam all the way.

tank buff earlier patchs

explains all
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
stam stack, going hit/exp is bad. the dps contribution will be so minuscule, its better to just lower your chance of dieing, having more health lets healer pay attention elsewhere as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Well, you are a tank, id say stam all the way.

tank buff earlier patchs

explains all

Huh?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/26/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Kangarooster
Stamina stacking will be safer for your survivability. Hit/expertise really does not affect your survivability at all.

Not necessarily true my good sir. When an enemy parries you, the cooldown on their next autoattack/whitedmg is reset. This means that expertise will have a small impact on your survivability.
Reply Quote
1 Draenei Paladin
That was true once, but hasn't been the case for a very long time. Did you see that mentioned somewhere recently? I'm curious to know if it's still being advertised as such.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Fully raid buffed(mastery food, fortitude/commanding shout, flask of steelskin, battle shout/horn of winter, kings/mark of wild) with lfr Indomitable Pride and Soulshifter Vortex Im at 102.35 ctc and 253k health. 17.53 dodge and 18.5 parry.

If I wanted to go for exp and hit cap and sacrifice stam, I could equip dual mastery trinkets and reforge mastery into hit and exp.

Its pretty nice.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/26/2012 08:19 AMPosted by Kangarooster
Stamina stacking will be safer for your survivability. Hit/expertise really does not affect your survivability at all.

This. ^^

Hit and expertise will help your threat levels bosses won't dodge/parry as much and your hits will actually land. So as a previous poster said, if your group needs a DPS boost and you're tanking, hit/expertise might be the route to go.

But if your job is to take some big hits, after CTC, stamina would be your best bet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]