Dev Watercooler – MoP Looting Explained

Community Manager
We've just published an article from Ghostcrawler titled "Mists of Pandaria Looting Explained", which contains a ton of great info on the new personal loot system, as well as some other improvements to help you acquire items and gear up in the upcoming expansion.

Please head over and check out the article, and then come back here and use this thread for any comments or feedback you may have. Thanks!
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good idea to not award gear for valor. Getting raid quality gear should come from doing raids, not doing a heroic 5 man that can be done with greens.

However valor being used to upgrade the ilevel of gear seems a bit weird to me. It would make more sense if it was tokens instead of points.
Edited by Prosidius on 3/27/2012 1:26 PM PDT
27 Tauren Hunter
Nice - thanks.

One question: will it be possible (however rare) for everyone in the raid to win an item? Conversely, will it be possible for no one to win anything?

Is there a "sweet spot" that you're aiming for in terms of how many people win loot, recognizing that it will vary on each roll?
89 Night Elf Death Knight
In Mists of Pandaria, Valor will be used to power a new feature that allows you to increase the item level of your existing epic items.

Raid Finder gear is specifically mentioned as allowed to go up 8 item level points. By this line of thinking, and the mentioning of this text within the main article, is there at this time an idea of how much improving a piece of gear can have, and what level of control the player will have over item stat increases (white stats, green stats, armor...)? Just looking for clarification.
90 Pandaren Rogue
It would be nice if loot assignment were hidden but still trade-able. Some of the smoothest LFRs I've been in were 'hosted' (I use the term loosely, but I'm sure everyone knows what I mean) by guilds looking to gear up for raids. It should be good enough that they cannot stack the rolls in their own favor.

If everyone in LFR got in solely based on their ilvl the raids would be a mess :( If there's anything at all I've learned about LFR it's that people are incredibly clever when it comes to fluffing their ilvls.
85 Night Elf Mage
Will there be a system implemented to have the option of passing on loot?

If the game itself randomly selects x amount of players to receive loot, and 1 (or more) players are just using the Raid Finder for Valor Points, wouldn't that be unfair to the players who do need loot? Or is it set up that each individual player has a % chance of winning separate from the other raid members?
85 Draenei Hunter
So what happens if you're in a group with your friends and you use say, Master Looter instead of the roll system? (on a normal raid, of course)

Would the bonus roll token system still pop up regardless of the loot process you use? And if so, you could master loot an item to someone and then that person decides to use their bonus token thing and potentially get something more?
90 Draenei Shaman
This is a tough one for me. I raid with a guild on my server as a guest, and as a guest if a piece of gear drops that is main spec for someone else, I dont even think about it. I let the people in the guild gear up and I do my thing on the side to try and still be useful to them. Once their main raiders no longer need that item, THEN I take it.

As it stands at this moment, if I run with them, I could in a way be taking someone elses loot.
I mean it would be mine in Blizz's eyes because I was there, I did my part, and got a higher roll. But to me I just filled a spot for them and got something I wasn't after. I think a 'pass' option would be good for people like me, who are after the experience not the shiny's.
85 Tauren Druid
I'm not sure I like that people sill need to be in the same raid group that taps the world boss. Same faction, sure, but not the same raid.

How likely is it that once a raid stars fighting, they're going to take the time to invite the lonely hunter that shows up into the raid? More likely they're busy tanking, DPSing, or healing their fellow raid members. back when we had to manually create/join raids in BGs, people would inevitably be left out due to lack of care by whoever started the raid. I am betting this sort of attitude is going to come into play with world bosses.

Plus, if I'm in a group of 5, then we have to disband and individually get invited to the new raid, and that screws up our group communication possibilities.

I'd rather see that anyone of the same faction as the person who taps the mob be allowed to get loot.

If that isn't a possibility, then I would like to see an incentive to raids to invite more people - perhaps increase the gold payout or some other sort of reward so that the larger the group is, the better the payout per person. That way there's an incentive to invite those loners.

Also, are world bosses going to be tuned for organized raids using Vent/Mumble, or for random pugs who happen to assemble a few yards away from the boss?
Edited by Sorro on 3/27/2012 1:40 PM PDT
27 Tauren Hunter
This is a tough one for me. I raid with a guild on my server as a guest, and as a guest if a piece of gear drops that is main spec for someone else, I dont even think about it. I let the people in the guild gear up and I do my thing on the side to try and still be useful to them. Once their main raiders no longer need that item, THEN I take it.

As it stands at this moment, if I run with them, I could in a way be taking someone elses loot.
I mean it would be mine in Blizz's eyes because I was there, I did my part, and got a higher roll. But to me I just filled a spot for them and got something I wasn't after. I think a 'pass' option would be good for people like me, who are after the experience not the shiny's.

I think the new system makes your background roll independent from everyone else's. That way, you're not taking loot from anyone else or decreasing their chance at getting their own piece of loot. I'm not sure they've clarified how (or even if) it'll work with Master Looter, though.

Also, remember it's only for LFR and World Bosses. I'm not sure if your situation is LFR or a regular raid.
Edited by Taurango on 3/27/2012 1:44 PM PDT
85 Night Elf Druid
03/27/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Benzine
Can you also use Valor points to upgrade PvP gear? It seems like that would force PvP players to do PvE content, so I assume it's not an option?

Please o please o please!!
93 Night Elf Rogue
No offense but this game is being destroyed the blizzard, you want to stop lfr loot abuse? simply make 384ilvl items unique so even if someone wins a roll, but has the item cannot receive and passes it to 2nd winner. Same with tiers, if you have tier related to your current spec on you, in your bags or bank- it goes to another person. Also if you have the tier of/or higher ilvl item then the one you are rolling for ( same trink ) you cant win. This kind of system would probly discourage those already geared but would promote non-raiders and alts. Also it would be fair to everybody, no loot stacking, no passing items to guilies,friends. Even the higher geared people get valor/ or whatever faster then the dungeons (not always but usually).
90 Draenei Shaman
I think the new system makes your background roll independent from everyone else's. That way, you're not taking loot from anyone else or decreasing their chance at getting their own piece of loot. I'm not sure they've clarified how it'll work for Master Looter, though.

What I am trying to say is if the top 4 rollers win loot, and I am among the top 4 rollers, I have in a sense taken gear from another raider in the group. Yes I did not take an individual item per say, but I took away their chance at it because I rolled.

Example: Rollers in Order
Jimmy
Tom
Lisa
Me
Jill

Jimmy, Tom, Lisa and myself all have items off this boss that we can actually use in a spec appropriate way. I am not after the gear I just enjoy watching bosses die. So Jill who IS after a shiny didn't in fact get one. so in THAT sense, I took her gear.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Seems like some really great improvements overall.

The one thing I'm worried about is not having more control over what spec you get gear for from the start. If I gear up as DPS during guild raids and then decided I want to start building a tank or healer set in LFR it looks like I'll have to queue as DPS, but then switch to the spec I want gear for and then just try to DPS as best I can in that spec.

Obviously the designers would prefer that I start by crafting/buying some gear off the AH for my offspec so that I have the bare minimum needed to fill that role in 5-mans, then gear up through 5-mans, heroics, and then finally work my way through the raid tiers in LFG as a tank or healer to get that off-spec gear. Realistically, though, why would somebody go through all that trouble if they are already well-geared in a main spec and can get into the LFR groups directly?

It doesn't seem like it should be that complicated to add a drop-down in the UI somewhere that defaults to your current spec, but lets you choose another spec (and possible an "Any" option as well) for what type of loot the system will give you. Even just an API function that sets your current "loot spec" would be enough (the default UI could call it when you switch specs to set the default, and I could spend 5 minutes writing an addon to let me change my "loot spec" manually if I want). Then you can run LFR content in whatever spec will help the group the most while still gearing up the spec that you actually need loot for.
100 Worgen Druid
I love all the changes, especially the valor one.

Boss kills for gear > vendor for gear

Midnight Orb
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]