Dev Watercooler – MoP Looting Explained

90 Night Elf Druid
My only question for the new looting system is, "Will everyone have to be an enchanter now?" As it is, you can trade loot with enchanters that were in the same run so that they can DE it for you and the world gets that many more mats to use. With this system, if you aren't an enchanter, you won't be able to trade it with one either.

So, say you get a helm one week. It's pretty cool, makes you look like a baws. Next week, you get the same exact helm (imagine that). Instead of rolling disenchant or letting your loot master give it to the mage that has enchanting, you're forced to vendor it for ten gold. Sure, this would net enchanters more money (because enchants on the AH are definitely not overpriced even this far into the expansion), but it would also inhibit your raid group's progression via not being able to get an awesome enchant for that new tanking weapon simply because you didn't have the mats because you couldn't let your buddy DE it for you.

And so brings back my question, "Will everyone have to be an enchanter now?"
85 Troll Druid
THIS IDEA IS STUPID!
90 Night Elf Hunter
On AoE looting. What about the skinners? will we have some sort of AoE skin that only effects our tagged mobs? Because if I AoE loot it leaves open all of the stuff I just killed to any and all skinners, and I just know there is that worgen watching my every move ready to steal most of my kills.
Or

Will I have to single target loot, but then I get kinda screwed out of the new system for my profession.

This has been bugging the back of my mind since hearing about AoE looting. While I love the idea of it for when farming humanoids, skinning just doesn't seem to be able to use this at all.
85 Human Death Knight
There's a lot of great items in here. I'm especially happy to hear about the AoE Loot. One thing that I would love to see is an ability to elect to join an instance or BG already in progress or if you'd rather remain in the queue when doing the LFR/LFG systems. For example, as DPS the queues are usually considerably longer than Tank/Healers. If you're running DPS and you wait 15 minutes for a spot and you finally get it and the group is just about to drop the final boss, this is pretty disheartening.

Sure, you get the bonus for completing the dungeon but if what you're trying to do is gather more VP/JP/Honor then you're essentially jumping right back in to the beginning. This is especially frustrating if you have quests for a certain instance and you join the group after they've already killed the boss you need.

What I think would be helpful is to pop a dialogue up that tells you how far along the group has already progressed in that instance. It should then give you a choice to either join that group or continue waiting for a fresh group. This might make the waiting group wait a little longer but it's going to open the door for the DPS who are looking for just the bonus and its going to prevent the above formentioned scenario.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
so do these looting rules only apply to raids or to dungeons/randoms as well?
85 Human Warlock
The new looting system in Pandaria is absolutely FAIL!!!!!!!!!
what if you didnt want/need the item so another player would have a chance at getting it.
And no trading it! Thanks bliz your gonna lose too many gamers to this alone. And not get new players because of bad loot. im not upgrading to it, and if its forced, you lost ppl.
what if you didnt want/need the item so another player would have a chance at getting it.
And no trading it! Thanks bliz your gonna lose too many gamers to this alone. And not get new players because of bad loot. im not upgrading to it, and if its forced, you lost ppl.

So.. you are going to quit the game because you cant give someone else an item you win?

/rolls her eyes

Ever try out for the drama club at your school? You would fit right in!
90 Troll Druid
no we will quit because items cant betraded that means if you never win an item i know people that just dont win at all you have no chance of gearing, i gear from guild runs they roll for me and i roll for them they are removing the team aspect of the game, you might as well just pug raids anymore,
85 Troll Shaman
What about us poor folks that actually just play this game as a time killer between rl things. I don't raid and use the valor gear to do better in dungeons. Is the item enh going to keep up somewhat with the raid gear, or am i going to be ridiculed through dungeons once again. I almost quit the game because of that before.
85 Human Warlock

So.. you are going to quit the game because you cant give someone else an item you win?

/rolls her eyes

Ever try out for the drama club at your school? You would fit right in!

Ive seen way too many ppl do raids at this point strictly for transmog pieces and off spec. Plus because of the new system that will be implemented i see people that are casual will probably not stay on. Its not about giving away its also getting. A lot of it though is that transmog gear is not always what your spec wants. My main transmog gear is chain.

Though I wonder what School you go to? You automatically assumed it, so Im guessing your in a High School somewhere. The forum is about the system not individual players. Plus I didnt say i'm quitting the game, I said im not upgrading. Blizz lost. as in their going to lose people, and yeah, probably me. I dont agree with many of the new changes their going to do.

Such as the new Valor system as well. but this is a forum that supposedly the Blizz people see. maybe if enough people say something it will get changed.
85 Troll Shaman
what if you already have that item and there is another person who doesn't. i pass instead of rolling so they can get it. what good is 10 gold to you when they need that specific item.
It is pleasant to know they are hoping to do *something* to solve the "drama ensues" part of the "looking for" family of dungeon running methods.

However, considering that an additional drama element seems to come from hardcore raiders not allowing anyone to raid with them who isn't a hardcore raider (chicken meet egg)...

...until I see something in action that stops characters who turned max-level three days ago from being treated like wussies, I know at least a few friends who will continue to delete every character they get when they turn max level, because the act of leveling can be done a lot of ways that are more fun.

I am very much looking forward to the challenge mode with normalized gear. At last the speed demons from LFG 5-mans will have been training for something specific.
88 Blood Elf Mage
If I read the article correctly, the personal loot system applies to random groups only and, in specific, LFR groups. I'd like to see the same change made to all random groups whether raid or instance. I think it promotes a fairer distribution of loot. Additionally, on the "classic" level instances there are still several peices of gear that are able to be needed on regardless of class/spec. The new personal system would eliminate "ninjas" from looting for profit when someone is trying to obtain a specific item, even at low level.

I'd also like to see the loot bag drop from lower level instances replaced with a token reward. As an example, if I run Wailing Caverns as a low level random instance, I would get 1 award point rather than a loot bag. This would allow those of us progressing through the content to have a certain number of points available for tier/award points gear when it becomes available. At this time, the Burning Crusade justice point gear is not obtainable until you've entered Lich King content because justice points are not issued until you reach that content. It relegates that gear to transmog purposes only as it is not available at a point when you can actually use it as an upgrade.
90 Tauren Death Knight
Sounds very interesting all the possible changes coming. I would definitely like to try them but have yet to receive an invite to test. Anyways, I would like to comment on what I've read so far:

1. Acquiring loot for off-spec really needs to be addressed many people raid as a utility piece (ie ability to switch when necessary)

2. If you win an item that you don't need you SHOULD have the ability to trade or pass it to another player

3. I do like the idea of being able to upgrade gear and weapons with valor points, but I also like going to the (said faction) "magic" shop to buy select gear and the ability to buy at least a 2-set bonus before 4.3.

4. (On a side note) Blizzard, PLEASE stop making broken worthless trinkets sold by NPC vendors!
90 Night Elf Priest
I do not like that you cannot get off-spec gear.

I usually raid as shadow priest because that is my best gear but I also have a holy (healer) spec. My life IRL is such that raiding other than Raid Finder is not usually possible.

I would prefer they just award tokens like Chestpiece of the _______ ______. Then, like now, I could turn it in at the vendor for whichever spec I need the item for.

What would be wrong with THAT?
90 Tauren Warrior
I think the new loot table will be a total bad idea most teh time i go as a tank becasue I like doing it so if I go as a tank but i got all the gear allready I need why would I go. I want to work on the DPS set so queing as a tank would not allow me to get that gear. So you get a week dps then gettign a tank that can hold his own. I see more problem then it creates just keep it the same. however make one change in the loot if you dont have that class with the raid or in the group that table shouldnt come up for loot on the bosses. Nothing like doing a 10 man and all rogue gear drops and you dont have one in your raid waste of time spent.
90 Gnome Mage
Here is a posible solution for rolling for OS gear. Add another selection when rolling for gear i.e Need, Greed, DE, Pass, new option would be OS if you need for OS gear. Replace Greed with OS. Need for Main Spec, OS to replace Greed, DE remains same or you can just Pass if you dont want anything.
56 Draenei Paladin
...I'd also like to see the loot bag drop from lower level instances replaced with a token reward. As an example, if I run Wailing Caverns as a low level random instance, I would get 1 award point rather than a loot bag. This would allow those of us progressing through the content to have a certain number of points available for tier/award points gear when it becomes available. At this time, the Burning Crusade justice point gear is not obtainable until you've entered Lich King content because justice points are not issued until you reach that content. It relegates that gear to transmog purposes only as it is not available at a point when you can actually use it as an upgrade.

I like this. I think that is a great idea.

edit: You could maybe make it an option: Pick the bag of random loot, or pick the token.
Edited by Korm on 4/6/2012 7:31 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]