Dev Watercooler – MoP Looting Explained

1 Gnome Warrior
Blah blah blah........ Seriously, no matter what anyone says.... this game is like when you put just enough makeup it looks good, but you keep adding unnecessary touches here and there, eventually you look like a clown, only...only if you could go back before you painted your whole face.. I don't mind the cockiness of the Dev. team, nor some minor flaws within the loot system, however there are more complaints here on this forum than agreement and acknowledgement. The attitude is "if you want to play, play. If not, goodbye, we do it our way." Like it or not, its not 2004, nor is it 2007. If you think this game will survive solely by adding more and more with an attitude like "I don't care" the only direction is down.
"Some players may still get mad, but hopefully they are mad at the laws of probability and not at the rest of the raid." Jesus... how much more cocky can they get... Try replacing "mad" with "unsatisfied," seems like they are treating us like children.
85 Undead Rogue
03/27/2012 01:25 PMPosted by Benzine
Can you also use Valor points to upgrade PvP gear? It seems like that would force PvP players to do PvE content, so I assume it's not an option?

How does that force a PvP player to do PvE content ? Just create some pvp blues, and run a bunch of bg's and acquire the HP to buy the latest HP set then work on the conquest gear. There's no reason a PvE player should be doing PvP content to acquire new PvE gear and vice versa.
90 Human Paladin
In general, this sounds like a step in the right direction... but why not make the drops more customizable (i.e., tokens instead of gear) to prevent duplicates and to allow for offspec gear-ups if we so desire?

Apologies if this has already been suggested somewhere in the first 60+ pages.
Edited by Heming on 4/12/2012 9:25 AM PDT
93 Blood Elf Warlock
Blah blah blah........ Seriously, no matter what anyone says.... this game is like when you put just enough makeup it looks good, but you keep adding unnecessary touches here and there, eventually you look like a clown, only...only if you could go back before you painted your whole face.. I don't mind the cockiness of the Dev. team, nor some minor flaws within the loot system, however there are more complaints here on this forum than agreement and acknowledgement. The attitude is "if you want to play, play. If not, goodbye, we do it our way." Like it or not, its not 2004, nor is it 2007. If you think this game will survive solely by adding more and more with an attitude like "I don't care" the only direction is down.
"Some players may still get mad, but hopefully they are mad at the laws of probability and not at the rest of the raid." Jesus... how much more cocky can they get... Try replacing "mad" with "unsatisfied," seems like they are treating us like children.

If you haven't noticed, many of us act like children:

wah wah wah the other guy won gear, he took my gear, daddy blizzard, wah wah wah

wah wah wah the otehr guy got welfare epics, only people who work hard should get gear daddy blizzard, wah wah wah

wah wah wah someone beat me, they must be nerfed daddy blizzard, wah wah wah

wah wah wah, I didn't get the beta, you suck daddy blizzard, wah wah wah

and those are just the easy ones.
85 Troll Druid
Not a fan of the new looting system. I've been doing raid finder now for valor points and fun. If I do that when the changes come out I'd feel like a jerk for even going in the raid because I might win an item I don't need that someone else really could have used =(. And people shouldn't be afk for looting time because it happens right after we kill a boss and that would mean they were afk for the boss. They don't deserve loot if that's the case.

Area looting is cool though...
Edited by Smint on 4/12/2012 10:37 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/12/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Smint
I've been doing raid finder now for valor points and fun. If I do that when the changes come out I'd feel like a jerk for even going in the raid because I might win an item I don't need that someone else really could have used =(.

This happens already, though. I'm not sure it will happen significantly more with the new system, especially if they don't publicize the winners and loot.

But that leads me to an extension of the whole loot preference checkbox thing. In several of my previous posts, I've suggested a loot preference checkbox when queueing for LFR which would unlock an option for off-spec loot once your ilvl had progressed significantly past the entry requirement ilvl. What if, in addition to a checkbox for off-spec loot, Blizz added a checkbox for bonus loot, such as shards, extra valor, and/or a rare chance at a mount. This would keep people like yourself coming back for more valor and to help out others, while providing them with a suitable bonus reward, and not forcing them to vendor item after item. Simply having a rare chance at an LFR exclusive mount would keep a decent amount of experienced, geared players coming back to LFR to help out others.

Edit:
And, if Blizzard didn't want to create even more new mounts, they could simply make it a rare chance for an old-tier raid mount, like the Ashes of Al'ar, or Mimiron's Head, for example, similar to the Call to Arms bag and dungeon mounts.
Edited by Phaelix on 4/12/2012 11:02 AM PDT
85 Dwarf Paladin
i think a good added benifit of this system ould be to make u shose what spec u want gear for then u can still get offspec gear but u wont get it unless u select that spec:ecample: main spec tank palli ques but alread has everything a tank could ever want so they set it so they get healing /ret gear instead they no longer get ANY tank gear they are rolling as if they were a healer
85 Troll Mage
04/11/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Ison
I'm assuming this whole new loot thing started from some little kid crying because he didn't get his loot. Everyone misses winning rolls on loot, get over it and try again next week. Thats what everyone else does.

This is not the reason at all - Blizz is trying to fix the very real problem of:
1) folks needing on loot they already have in order to sell/disenchant it for profit, which tends to anger those that actually need the item to improve their character
2) folks needing on gear in order to sell it to someone that actually needs it (i have witnessed this twice in LFR - "send me $40 via PalPal, and i'll trade this to you" is what was tried when different realms came into play)
3) someone wins loot, then gets whispered non-stop for the rest of the LFR by someone who also wants the item, and will say anything to try to get it, thus making the LFR run not much fun

the fixes they propose do not improve anyone's odds at winning gear, and so do not cater to kids crying about gear in any way. It's a shame Blizz must try to solve problems caused by such behavior - would be nice to simply remove this type of person from the game permanently, but I fear doing so would cost Blizz way too much money at this stage. What was once a tiny problem 5 years ago has become majority behavior today - sad commentary on the gaming public.
90 Gnome Mage
I just want to know that if a player had already won something from a kill, and wanted another piece of gear from the same kill. Would he or she be able to use the Lucky Charm for another loot? I did not see anything mentioned this issue in the blog. Hopefully I overlooked.
90 Gnome Mage

Obviously, you can say that if you own this game and set it up in your backyard. This is a massive online RPG that has no age restriction. They have to set it up to satisfy every player as much as possible. If you won't like new changes, you can do what you just said: "I don't like it now, goodbye." Or you can continue on playing and start making comment about the new things that you are not comfortable with which would absolutely look childish if its from another person than you. Or, you can cry about the bad old style and maybe have blizzard reserved a server with everything you like un-changed to satisfy you one day.
Edited by Marketmage on 4/12/2012 5:40 PM PDT
88 Tauren Shaman
So basically I can down the same boss 3 different weeks and recieve the same set of bracers three times in a row? It seems with your vast amount of wealth blizz i kinda think that you can make it where the game recognizes that you already have that particular item, and decides that you really dont need it again. Just my 2 cents. I really believe that this is a long needed change to the game particularly since LFR came out, but really I dont see why it would not check and see that you already have the boots or bracers or any unique peice and opt into not giving it to you. I do understand however that if you are chosen randomly to win, and you cant recieve that peice then it has no choice but to choose another class/spec specific peice of gear if available which perhaps might really adversely react to what you are trying to do (AND YES I KNOW ITS RARE THAT A BOSS HAS 2 PEICES OF CLASS AND SPEC SPECIFIC GEAR BUT IT DOES HAPPEN I.E TRINKETS RINGS WEAPONS ETC). Heck IDK....EVERYONE DISCUSS.
Edited by Stormshear on 4/12/2012 6:09 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/12/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Stormshear
So basically I can down the same boss 3 different weeks and recieve the same set of bracers three times in a row?

I've seen this same kind of comment iterated several times in this thread. As you said, this can potentially happen in the old loot method, too, so the issue isn't with the new system, it's with the fact that randomness is random. But let's look at some percentages, shall we?

Assuming a 16% win chance (roughly equivalent to the current 4 items per 25-man boss chance), the chance of winning loot off the same boss 3 weeks in a row is only 0.4%, or a 1 in 250 chance. But you're also implying that this is a boss with 2 spec-appropriate drops, so the chance of winning the same item off the same boss 3 times in a row is actually 0.05%, or 1 in 2,000 (assuming that there's an equal chance for either item to be awarded).

These kind of worst-case-scenarios are just that. Incredibly rare cases of poor luck. Yes, they happen, but they're not the norm. And just how fast do you think you should be able to complete a raid-tier set? If the game always gave you something you didn't already have, then you'd be done with the tier in a few weeks and be bored and/or demanding more content.
87 Blood Elf Mage
I think when the kinks are out of this system it will end much trouble within the game. And you can thank all the ninjas, general a$$holes and their ilk for this becoming necessary. ;)
So long as the personal loot system is only implemented in LFR that is fine. He said that discussion is expected in pre-made raids on how to divvy loot. Only thing I saw that wasn't addressed is duplicate loot. Will the system scan what gear you have on to ensure you don't get bracers you already have and waste win at loot? If I have what I need from this boss, I wouldn't roll anyway. If this isn't implemented then players should be able to trade loot in LFR because knowing my luck I'll win the same loot over and over again, if I win at all.
The new LFR loot system would balance the "damn nothing dropped for me problem, but look at the 3 identical caster daggers that dropped for our one mage, who isn't here today!"
I would like to see this problem addressed in pre-made raids though. I respect ghostcrawler's position about players who want all their loot now, but there is something to be said on cutting down on duplicate loot, and loot no one can use dropping from a boss.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This system sounds great. The only thing that worries me is that I prefer the social dungeoneering aspect of the game to the lonely questing, so I hope the Elders items and upgrades also become available from wearing a tabard in dungeons. Raiders will be expected to get the Elders bonues to stay competitive, so I hope I can get them my way too, not just through the dailies that I don't really enjoy (no offense).
04/12/2012 08:34 PMPosted by Maliorre
you can thank all the ninjas, general a$$holes and their ilk for this becoming necessary.
No - you can thank all the control freaks for this becoming necessary.

Now the control freaks don't get to control who gets a chance to win items anymore.

ALL players now get a chance to win items after they help a group instead of being forced by the control freaks to pass up their chance to win items after they help a group.
Edited by Hotopic on 4/13/2012 11:26 AM PDT
85 Draenei Mage
Okay I read it but i can't tell is this new loot system just gonna be in raid finder or are they going to screw over all loot systems?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]