Dev Watercooler – MoP Looting Explained

90 Blood Elf Paladin
here is a question. When we run even on ten man we have two tanks and the DS loot only has enough maybe for one tank maybe other than that we have to do riad pugs to get gear and even then some damn dps rolls it and there goes our tank trinket or tank ring etc. Just leave it alone is all im saying if your guys do something like what your saying unless it is so epic of a script that it will realize a tank needs said item then dont do it. Why do you allways fold to the weak player who only plays 30 min a week.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Firm believer in MS>OS. Meaning, if it's not for my MS I wait and see if anybody rolls need and then ask if anybody minds if I roll for OS. Common courtesy and not a hard concept to grasp.
90 Blood Elf Mage
This idea is fantastic simply because I'm so sick of falling in love with tanking but getting no gear because plate dps people are gearing up to tank in the future, however, I noticed that others have the same concern I thought of, and that's when you're running with your guild just to help out and you get a piece of gear that another lower geared person came for. Or does the system know the difference? A passing option is a good idea imo.

Edit: Or instead of a passing option, at least allow us to trade, even if only in raids?
Edited by Hótaru on 4/14/2012 7:01 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
I think everyone gets that concept, but not everyone is polite like us. :( I agree with that method, but after getting ninja'd almost daily I think this idea is long past due. I will miss rolling greed and need though, but I'll get over that.
Oh man! The one aspect of this that I DO NOT like at all is the No Vendor Items for Valor!
I am mostly a PVPer who has a full set of 390 PVP gear, and working on the 403 set, and I'm TRYING to get level appropriate PVE gear for raids, etc.

Here's the crux of the matter... no valor vendor items means the only way for me to get close to PvE ilvl items that I have in PvP gear already would mean I raid in my PvP gear to try to get them. <sighs> And get promptly kicked time after time again raiding in the only high ilvl gear I have, my PvP stuff.

I've been dungeoning to get valor to get some PvE gear, and if that is taken away, may as well delete this toon or be forced to start another just for PvEing.

PLEASE don't take the valor vendor stuff away!

Wayah.
85 Draenei Shaman
What about those who solo farm instances or low level raids for specific transmog loot, or epic mounts ?

If this new loot system lower the current item drop probability for solo farming, a lot of peeps wont be happy.
90 Worgen Rogue
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Could you also make it so someone can't get the same peice of gear twice, unless weapon? I almost got leather shoulders in DS RF, but then one of the people that trade items for other items got it, said i could have it, then gave it away. Just a thought.
74 Blood Elf Paladin
I love this idea, everything about it sounds fantastic and well thought out. What a creative approach, I love it! It tells me that blizz is focused on the right things; playing, and having fun!! Good move Devs!!
85 Human Paladin
This may have already been said but... With the new loot system that i have to say is great that they finaly did it .. are there going to be shorter cool downs on and raid content now ie. From one week resets to 2-3 days once you do the math and chance and per toon in the run not to mention the fact oh shoot we all have that piece already and have to try again in a week and oh snap it dropped again.... your looking at about a 1 piece drop every 2-6 months thats going to make the game just a tadd bit nasty if you think about it... your going to start getting i'll never see the upgrade to my gear so bleep this game... if you know what i mean
90 Blood Elf Priest
Here we go again. Blizzard did you not learn anything from Cata? The casual players make you MORE money then the hard core raiders, so why once again are you deciding to punish those of us who can't RAID? Taking out Valor gear is once again telling the casual players that we don't matter. You introduced Cata heroics... made them so hard that they took hours to finish, and what happens? Right you have a very large bleeding of subscribers because some people don't have 2 hours to run one dungeon. Learn from your mistakes already and stop punishing those of us who have a life outside of WOW and just want to have some fun.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Great outline on looting systems and makes sense to me. Keeping it simple...
90 Tauren Hunter
i think you should add in the raid finder somehow to figure our what you have and then decide to give you loot or not or if you need it MS or OS
Edited by Zantavona on 4/14/2012 6:28 PM PDT
90 Pandaren Shaman
So I'm not fully understanding the purpose of the new Valor system. What I hear is "Visiting a vendor is lame, so go kill stuff if you want loot." I'm actually good with that. What I do see being an issue is players entirely leaving the dungeon queues once their gear gets fairly decent. As it is, I rarely do dungeons unless I'm specifically hunting maelstrom crystals for enchanting. I run my weekly raids and call it a day. It seems to me that if items are still on the table, more highly geared toons will make appearances in H Instances. Essentially, "If I can get all my valor from my raid, no need to mess with the noobs in the Heroics?"
90 Gnome Death Knight
Ghostcrawler & Company, you kick !@#. :]
Sold 100%

{
Area of Effect Looting
Yes, we are doing area looting.

The boss dies.
I get the exact item or items I want.
I never have to come back and kill this boss again.
I politely ask Blizzard when there will be new content for me to run.

(it’s always a lonely hunter, isn’t it?)
}
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This sounds like a crappy system developed to cater to the whining people who say they never win in LFR. Only getting role specific gear? Seriously what the !@#$ blizz? How am I supposed to gear 2 specs if your only giving me %^-* for one? You want people to play more and enjoy it but your taking away my valor off spec gear, taking away my ability to get off spec raid gear and basically saying I dont need it play my one role and be happy? Not really a good move to keep players consistently through new content after it starts getting old...
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I completely agree with this, with work and school who has time to run multiple dg's 2 hrs at a time and raid 6 hrs a week? Cmon blizz get your head out of your !@# and realize this is not going to go smoothly.
90 Tauren Druid
good finally i have not won anything on my warlock since LFR came out always have guildies stealing loot for their friend and trade off mid fight. Finally im able to enjoy LFR without drama thanks blizzard hope gear will be bop permanent for random finder and LFR. Its like when i tank Randoms on my warrior always get my tanking gear taken from any class when they all complain im squishy im stuck with plenty of 346's couple jp tier gear group is all in 397. I told the group how am i suppose to get tanking gear when you all are taking it away the gear i need. the response i get YOU MAD BRO el oh el *You have been removed from the group
90 Tauren Druid
04/14/2012 08:26 PMPosted by Válhalla
This sounds like a crappy system developed to cater to the whining people who say they never win in LFR. Only getting role specific gear? Seriously what the !@#$ blizz? How am I supposed to gear 2 specs if your only giving me %^-* for one? You want people to play more and enjoy it but your taking away my valor off spec gear, taking away my ability to get off spec raid gear and basically saying I dont need it play my one role and be happy? Not really a good move to keep players consistently through new content after it starts getting old...
Que up for that role if no gear do dungeons as your current role get JP then get gear. And que up for what ever role your going for to win loot
85 Worgen Death Knight
I recently got a ninja looter in a low level dungeon(BRD); Tank, a warrior, rolled need on Warden's Staff. After i got into contact with a gm i was pointed over here to suggest my idea to eliminate ninja looting once and for all.

Add in a smart-looter feature
ANY rare/epic boe's that drop will not be able to be rolled need by anyone on unless you are a class that can use it. BUT, that does not mean it is free loot to certain classes, players may only roll need on the boe IF they do not have a better item in slot or have aquired a better one for that slot in the past, this would include boa's that will not allow a need roll since boa's are almost or always better. Only if everyone in the group has something for slot is better, the item may now be rolled on for greed by everyone.(need roll will be disabled)
This "smart-looter" function will still include the choice to roll disenchant, (but who would disenchant a low level boe twink item?), disenchant rolls will follow in only when the above requirement of nobody in the group actually needing the boe as a legit upgrade.
90 Human Hunter
i think the easiest way to fix this is if your main spec needs gear it needs gear so enter in that spec but if you want gear on your offspec then when you go into a instance that is the spec you should currently be in so in turn when the loot is distrubuted it is distrbuted based on your offspec which at the present time is the active spec because you are in as your offspec but this would eliminate the option to switch specs while in a raid and not only would the person lose the capability of switching but they would also become saved as that spec to the raid or instance they were in i think that this is a already used idea in a way in battlegrounds but only the spec switching part of it not the saved part entirely so while becoming saved to the raid in a certain spec i think that a player should be allowed to enter as a different spec the following week after upon killing one boss in that raid and becoming saved
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]