Dev Watercooler – MoP Looting Explained

8 Draenei Priest
Totally unimpressed Ghostcrawler all my toons are renowned for having the !@#$tiest rolls over almost 8 years of this game. Will there be some recourse for those of us after 6 months of running these instances and getting SFA as usual to have our rollers fixed! Doubt it .My hunter is STILL trying to win the lfr or reg unchaining trinket !
100 Worgen Hunter
The way the loot system works now is that I have to pass on just about everything in doing the ds raid. What I need just about never drops and when it does I never get it. I can live with this but I have to wait another week to do the raid again. If I do it again that week it says that particular boss has been looted already. Not by me! Why not get the second chance to get a useful drop? So whatever changes are made they probably won't be any more of a detriment to me and my luck.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I would love to see a similar system added to PvP. It is a pain to be on the less dominant side of a battlegroup's factions and having a much longer and more difficult grind to get both honor and conquest gear as compared to the other players, who may not even be good at PvP, but are just carried because they are on the Alliance or Horde side.

If the same sort of system were implemented, with spec appropriate gear randomly being assigned to players (though obviously at a very low drop rate) it would make even losing a bit easier to take. It could probably be something like TF2, with a .3% drop rate for an honorable kill at max level, so that at most one or two people would get an item, or maybe none at all.

Just my thoughts, considering how overlooked PvP is these days.
100 Worgen Death Knight
Does this mean that for regular or heroic raids the boss will drop ONLY gear that can be used by the current group of raiders?

Or regular and heroic raid loot is not being touched at all?
Edited by Erresira on 7/10/2012 1:32 PM PDT
90 Human Warrior
per the blog, this deals with LFR loot only.
100 Orc Warrior
How about Raid Finder Tokens instead of Raid finder Gear?

Dead boss: Here Rattled, go buy some gear.
Me: But what gear is this for?
Dead boss: Any gear you like, pretty sure you need a new belt.....
Me: Oh wow, thanks man that's great! Bye :D
Dead boss: Hey wait, come back.. Can I get a res?
Me: Ahhh.. That depends, will I get more of these tokens if I kill you again?
Dead boss: Not until next week.
Me: Oh... Ok, well I think I might just go then.
Dead boss: But I thought we were really just starting to hit it off?
Me: Oh you really thought so? Oh.. That's ummm, that's a bit awkward.. So sorry.
Dead boss: Well will I see you next week?
Me: Yeah sure! I'll ahhhh, call you, yeah.

Allowing players to get the exact Raid Finder piece of gear they need/want would be awesome! Help to gear up for raid-readiness, offspec and no longer get a piece you already have.

Sorry if anyone mentioned it, there's 73 pages to trawl through and I don't have that kind of will power unfortunately.
Edited by Rattled on 7/17/2012 9:25 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
Because we should be geared and done with raiding in a mere weeks?

Nnnnno.

They need to slow down content consumption, not speed it up.
100 Orc Warrior
Because we should be geared and done with raiding in a mere weeks?

Nnnnno.

They need to slow down content consumption, not speed it up.

Not mere weeks no. We're not guaranteed a drop off every boss and I'd be lucky to get 1 item from 2 weeks of runs. With a few 85s, it'd at least help a lot more if I got to choose the loot I wanted.

Raid Finder isn't exactly progression. To say you'd be done with raiding once you've got all the Raid Finder loot isn't really Blizzard's intention for raiders.

[Edit: for a bit more of a detailed post]
Edited by Rattled on 7/17/2012 8:19 PM PDT
100 Orc Warrior
07/17/2012 08:09 PMPosted by Lovelypuppy
DAT NECRO HOLY SHEET

This is the discussion thread designated by a blue for the discussion of this topic, no?
85 Worgen Druid
I'm to lazy to read through this. If you're the one that gets "picked for loot" would it offer you something that's worse or the same that you have on, or will it be able to "read" your gear and only give you things you actually need.
Now that is a smart system...
90 Worgen Hunter
Not sure if this has been asked, but with the AOE Looting system, will that also work for Skinning?
90 Draenei Shaman
07/22/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Ivand
Not sure if this has been asked, but with the AOE Looting system, will that also work for Skinning?

I haven't tested it but I'd guess so because the skin becomes lootable. :)
90 Worgen Hunter
07/22/2012 10:43 PMPosted by Novalas

I haven't tested it but I'd guess so because the skin becomes lootable. :)

oh man i hope so, Its so boring looting 15+ drakes at a time
100 Dwarf Priest
Soooooo I read through this the first time, and (like many) my first reaction was: "The simplification continues."

BUT I walked away for an hour or so, came back and read it again, and I actually see where they are going with this. Kind of stoked, to be honest.

Also, it seems that most of this "hidden roll" loot stuff is only for LFR groups, right? If you raid with your guild, I guess not much is going to change when it comes to looting.
39 Tauren Druid
I think my main concern is that:

1. People who do need the loot aren't getting the loot, meanwhile someone who does not need it at all gets it.

With the current LFR, I see a lot of the same junk dropping. It may be 4 daggers. If I already have a dagger from a previous run, then I want someone who needs it to get it. I roll greed.

In the new setup, me getting the dagger in my bags when I don't need it, while a friend I came in with could really use it but doesn't get it, is silly. To top it off I can't even trade it to him/her.

I have a sense here that you are trying to eliminate loot drama, but by doing so, you are assuming *everyone* is a selfish 12 year old and we have zero fundamental principles of generosity towards others.

Solutions:

1. Allow us to trade items we have won to someone else in the raid

2. Flag items as unique so you can't win more than one of a highly desired item. You are automatically passed in the loot rolls.
100 Human Priest
I think my main concern is that:

1. People who do need the loot aren't getting the loot, meanwhile someone who does not need it at all gets it.

With the current LFR, I see a lot of the same junk dropping. It may be 4 daggers. If I already have a dagger from a previous run, then I want someone who needs it to get it. I roll greed.

In the new setup, me getting the dagger in my bags when I don't need it, while a friend I came in with could really use it but doesn't get it, is silly. To top it off I can't even trade it to him/her.

I have a sense here that you are trying to eliminate loot drama, but by doing so, you are assuming *everyone* is a selfish 12 year old and we have zero fundamental principles of generosity towards others.

Solutions:

1. Allow us to trade items we have won to someone else in the raid

2. Flag items as unique so you can't win more than one of a highly desired item. You are automatically passed in the loot rolls.

1: There are many, many other ways to be generous in game that do not leave an opportunity for excess drama.

2: I assume you mean "can't win more than one" per boss or per raid session for those items which you can equip more than one of.
100 Night Elf Death Knight
" We like random loot being random, as long as it isn’t so frustratingly random that you stop enjoying the experience."

I'm having that issue with Utgarde Pinnacle. Trying and trying over and over for the drake. Still nothing. I'm starting to severely HATE that run in particular. -.-
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]