Dev Watercooler – MoP Looting Explained

100 Troll Druid
This is changes to LFR LOOT not normal or heroic loot that is staying the same.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Edit: Derp. Nevermind.
Edited by Aeolyn on 3/27/2012 2:57 PM PDT
34 Tauren Hunter
03/27/2012 02:29 PMPosted by Ronduwil
Now if this ONLY effects LFR that is a different story. The people who want then to just gear up will go in LFR and the people who want mog items or RP items will go with a group of friends.
This is only for LFR and world bosses.

Ah well in that case this isn't too bad but still kind hurts people trying to gear up their off-specs. I guess in those cases you need to get a group of friends together to help you instead of LFR.
The posts in the thread were confusing me and making me think that this would effect LFR and groups assembled by searching for people to party up with.

Still unsure about world bosses. I'm guessing that means bosses in raids or this referring to the high level monsters that wander around the Out of Raid and Instance areas. For instance Posedius in Vash'jr which by some is considered a Rare Epic World Boss. Even though it isn't in a Raid dungeon.
90 Draenei Shaman
This is a tough one for me. I raid with a guild on my server as a guest, and as a guest if a piece of gear drops that is main spec for someone else, I dont even think about it. I let the people in the guild gear up and I do my thing on the side to try and still be useful to them. Once their main raiders no longer need that item, THEN I take it.

As it stands at this moment, if I run with them, I could in a way be taking someone elses loot.
I mean it would be mine in Blizz's eyes because I was there, I did my part, and got a higher roll. But to me I just filled a spot for them and got something I wasn't after. I think a 'pass' option would be good for people like me, who are after the experience not the shiny's.
This looting system is only for LFR. If you're a guest raider with another guild they're still free to pick from the existing loot systems.
82 Human Death Knight
The two big concerns I have that have already been touched on: how this will effect enchanting since there will be no "junk" loot to be disenchanted anymore, causing a huge spike in prices. As well as how much harder this will be for a player who is one role to change to another role. It seems like it will drastically increase the time it would take for a player who is very well geared as say a DPS warrior, but wants to tank, to gather his gear. Formerly he could just join high level raids, play as DPS, and just grab any tanking gear that no one else wanted, quickly putting together a pretty decent set. Now he will have to buy gear off the AH, then run normal modes as a tank, then heroics as a tank, then work his way through the various raid levels.

As many players are already skilled at healing, tanking, or DPS'ing as they have done all 3 multiple times on numerous classes over the last 7+ years, I imagine this will frustrate many of them to go through this long process just to change their spec the raid with and gear up. I really hope they have a plan in place to mitigate this potential problem, as it is a huge concern for a lot of guilds as having skilled players who are geared for multiple roles is a big asset to especially smaller guilds who need to have more flexibility when filling raids.

I have a feeling there will be much drama in LFR raids with people trying to tank or heal in DPS gear or vice versa in order to gear up. Going to be a real pain.
Edited by Ultenth on 3/27/2012 3:00 PM PDT
90 Worgen Priest
Well what if your on a hybrid class, and your gearing up your OS, and you play your main spec because it is better geared, will I not be able to get OS armor. ex. Me playing holy in LFR or Heroic dungeons to get prot armor.

Blizzard is aware that some people want to queue as one spec and get gear for another spec. The current implementation does not allow this, but will consider methods of doing it.

I could see an easy implementation possibility here.

Just like we select roles of tank, dps, heals when we sign up to raid... why not have a loot role or spec selection?

We enter the raid as 'dps' and perform the dps role, but we want to loot queue for 'offspec' (healing) and when we win an item, it checks the table for a healing spec item instead of dps.
Edited by Kamikisu on 3/27/2012 3:00 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I love both the loot rule changes and the changes to valor. Thanks Blizz :D
90 Tauren Druid
Some really good changes imo! :D

Though I'm not sure how I feel about the possibility of normal gear being better than heroic just because I farmed lots of Valor from easy dungeons.
100 Troll Druid
Will gear lock outs be one per spec for hybrids or still one per week?

Seems like a good way to solve the Off Spec issue doesn't it? Well for class's that dps/tankOrheal
Edited by Reveries on 3/27/2012 3:04 PM PDT
91 Human Paladin

This system will DRASTICALLY increase queue times, and soon blizzard will realize that. You think the 17-30 minute queues for DPS in LFR are bad now? Just wait until half the healers queue as DPS in order to get DPS gear. Say hello to 2 hour queues.

exactly.
85 Orc Death Knight
If we can no longer buy raiding pieces with valor, please look into a way of making token drops in 10 man less random. Perhaps removing class requirement completely? We go through weeks of certain tokens not dropping which makes raiding 10 man feel overly penalizing compared to 25 where there is usually a better distribution and people with high epgp/dkp can get the tokens they want.
85 Draenei Shaman
First off, I am really happy about the new system. I think it will go a long way towards relieving the social pressure and displacing anger/resentment from individual players to the system itself. I also really like the idea of increasing my power through the valor system and the charms of good fortune to allow me to get an extra chance at loot.

Regarding "the more the merrier" part of the new loot system for LFR and world bosses. Actually, just in regards the new loot system and world bosses. If I am a raid leader and my group is about to "tap" a world boss, and we have 24 people in our raid. Now, I see the lonely hunter with a hopeful look on his face for an invite. However, I am pretty sure my 24 player team will have no problem with this boss. Statistically, I don't think as the raid leader that I would have the notion "the more the merrier".
Here's why: all 25 players may have an equal chance at gear, but not all 25 players can win a piece of gear. If there is still a maximum number of loot that the system is going to divvy out, I want to increase my odds that one of my players is going to be a recipient. Now, true, it would no longer matter to me under the new system if I already had 4 hunters in my group, adding another hunter would not be the problem specifically, it's the fact of adding another person of any class/role means our overall odds of winning something individually is lessened by that lonely hunter (bonus loot rolls notwithstanding). I don't necessarily have a solution to this, but in the spirit of adding my feelings about the new system, I wanted to throw in my two pennies.
64 Night Elf Mage
sounds like a lot of work for free gear how about you all just give in... and we the players choose our loot every time we down something
90 Orc Shaman

This system will DRASTICALLY increase queue times, and soon blizzard will realize that. You think the 17-30 minute queues for DPS in LFR are bad now? Just wait until half the healers queue as DPS in order to get DPS gear. Say hello to 2 hour queues.

exactly.

Works the other way, too. Imagine if all those DPS rolling on tank gear had to queue as tanks to get it. Suddenly tanks, tanks everywhere.

They should address the healing issue though, the tanks actually seem fine but I think 6 healers is not only more than is needed, but more than is available at any given time.
90 Dwarf Shaman
Possible queue time increase aside, I like this system for the LFR.
Personally I'd like to see it contained to LFR, somehow I don't think I'd like it as much if I saw this during a guild run 10 man.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/27/2012 03:05 PMPosted by Ninetales
Works the other way, too. Imagine if all those DPS rolling on tank gear had to queue as tanks to get it. Suddenly tanks, tanks everywhere.

Tanks, tanks everywhere...trying to tank in DPS gear.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/27/2012 02:58 PMPosted by Ultenth
The two big concerns I have that have already been touched on: how this will effect enchanting since there will be no "junk" loot to be disenchanted anymore, causing a huge spike in prices.

I'm liking the new loot changes overall, but this is a legitimate concern and a very good question.

As well as how much harder this will be for a player who is one role to change to another role. It seems like it will drastically increase the time it would take for a player who is very well geared as say a DPS warrior, but wants to tank, to gather his gear. Formerly he could just join high level raids, play as DPS, and just grab any tanking gear that no one else wanted, quickly putting together a pretty decent set. Now he will have to buy gear off the AH, then run normal modes as a tank, then heroics as a tank, then work his way through the various raid levels.

Earlier in the thread, someone said this:

• The boss dies.
  • Each player has a chance to win loot, independent of the other players.
  • For each player who wins loot, the game provides an option to select a spec
  • The game randomly assigns them the selected spec-appropriate item from that boss’s loot table.

• This would help solve the second problem.
    This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]