A Song of Ice and Fire

85 Draenei Mage
So, I loved "game of thrones" show and i ordered the first 4 books on amazon, just got them today and i LOVE the first book so far. What do you think of the series? Books and Show.
Reply Quote
I've read all 5 books that have been written, plus the preview chapters for book 6.

I do enjoy them greatly. They are a very unusual take on fantasy (lots of moral ambiguity and very few truly good or truly evil characters), which is probably why they are so good. He's certainly not trying to be another Tolkien, and that's for sure...

While I will avoid spoiling anything for you, I will tell you to take special care to note how Eddard Stark refers to Jon Snow in his thoughts, or more precisely how he does not. While there are still some unanswered questions on the subject even in Book 5, it really changes how certain characters are viewed and opens up a huge number of possibilities going forward.
Edited by Falrinn on 4/13/2012 9:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
19 Orc Hunter
The first 3 books are great reads imo
4 and 5 suffer a bit by comparison, but are still very entertaining.
The show is good, but the books are miles ahead of the show. Not all that surprising since that is often the case. There is just no way to get the depth on tv that the books provide.

If you are like most readers of SOIAF, the only thing you will dislike is waiting for the next book. That wait is getting longer and longer between installments.

I would also suggest re-reading the books. There are a lot of layers and subtleties that one can miss as you are devouring the story the first time through. There is a lot that is not said, but only hinted at that makes a re-read pretty gratifying.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Just keep track of all the names and which characters they belong to. Mr. Martin throws some names into an chapter that he hasn't used in over a hundred pages, and it might get a bit confusing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
The books are fantastic. A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons might not be as quickly paced as the earlier books, but they're also building up to something huge.

I also have every respect for the show, although I've chosen not to watch it. I saw the first episode of the second season, and it was good, but I'd rather stick to the books.

04/13/2012 08:15 PMPosted by Wilield
Just keep track of all the names and which characters they belong to. Mr. Martin throws some names into an chapter that he hasn't used in over a hundred pages, and it might get a bit confusing.

Erikson's worse though. ^_^

"Hey, didn't I see this guy... eight books ago... once..."
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
150 pages left of Game of Thrones. Really enjoying it so far. going to buy the blu ray once I finish.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
04/15/2012 02:47 PMPosted by Sylvicus
150 pages left of Game of Thrones. Really enjoying it so far. going to buy the blu ray once I finish.

I actually didn't really get into the story until halfway into book two. The whole PoV thing gets me sometimes, as in "A Catelyn chapter? But I want to keep going with Sansa/Arya/Tyrion/Jamie!"
And I'm sure it's not a popular opinion, but I'm really not that into Jon or Dany.
Edited by Ajuul on 4/25/2012 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
04/25/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Ajuul

I actually didn't really get into the story until halfway into book two. The whole PoV thing gets me sometimes, as in "A Catelyn chapter? But I want to keep going with Sansa/Arya/Tyrion/Jamie!"
And I'm sure it's not a popular opinion, but I'm really not that into Jon or Dany.

Dany is a horrible character. Jon Snow used to be cool... now he is just boring.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
I'm always happy when I get to a Dany chapter lol.

Generally find the women's chapters to be more interesting. Sansa, Arya, Cersei, etc.
Reply Quote
I love a lot of his writing. Just his style.

One of my favorite passages (from any book I've ever read) is in the first book when Eddard Stark is dreaming about facing off with the three Kingsguard members at the Red Tower with his seven companions.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
I love a lot of his writing. Just his style.

One of my favorite passages (from any book I've ever read) is in the first book when Eddard Stark is dreaming about facing off with the three Kingsguard members at the Red Tower with his seven companions.

Yeah the Tower of Joy scene is great. Too bad it was cut from the show, although I understand why.

Generally find the women's chapters to be more interesting. Sansa, Arya, Cersei, etc.

Sansa and Arya chapters are the only two female POVs I enjoy. Sansa, primarily because its becoming a Littlefinger POV, and Arya because she's so badass. Her Faceless Men training is one of the most interesting aspects of the series.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
love the books, love the show...very creative and realistic...moral ambiguity FTW
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Just finished A feast of Crows. These books surprised me, they aren't your typical good guys vs bad guys fantasy story. The characters have good and bad and those you might think of as 'bad' to begin with you end up liking later because you see why they do things from their point of view and it's not black and white. Also characters you might think are shoe-ins for 'winning' end up showing human failings and succumb the their enemies because of them.

They can take you on an emotional roller coaster ride. One minute you are going, "Yes! Go get em!" and next going. "NO! Not him!!"

Don't forget Brienne. I fell in love with her, really cheering her on while at the same time wanting her to stop being so naive.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Don't forget Brienne. I fell in love with her, really cheering her on while at the same time wanting her to stop being so naive.

I adore the Brienne chapters. I was warned that the second I start liking a character, they'll end up dead. None of my favorites are dead yet (as of the end of A Feast for Crows, just started A Dance with Dragons). I wonder what that says about me?
Favorite POV's:
Sansa
Arya
Tyrion
Jamie
Brienne
And I enjoyed finally getting Sam ones.
Favorite non-POV's:
Rickon
Littlefinger
Varys
Gendry
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
After watching the TV Series I went to my local bookshop and ordered the books, I am currently halfway through the second book, they are a good read but I'll admit I like the TV Series better.
Reply Quote
05/05/2012 12:02 PMPosted by Fuzzyknight
After watching the TV Series I went to my local bookshop and ordered the books, I am currently halfway through the second book, they are a good read but I'll admit I like the TV Series better.

Same. I'm forcing myself to continue reading through A Dance with Dragons. He leaves you little to cling too.

There are whole chapters of crap that means nothing to no one, and never comes to fruition.

People said it gets better near the end of Dance with Dragons, but i'm skeptical that this author is gonna be able to make it interesting again in The Winds of Winter.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I have read all 5 novels (twice) and I can easily say I could read them again. However, I have a very good understanding of the story up to its present point. There is so much detail and development in this story, i just absolutely love.

I think the main theme of this series is that society can put you in difficult spots and its what choices you make based on your environment. There is no good vs evil in this book even though it may seem like it with the Lannisters, but in the end you realize that its all about perspective. Very, very enticing series.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
05/07/2012 06:48 PMPosted by Doza
People said it gets better near the end of Dance with Dragons, but i'm skeptical that this author is gonna be able to make it interesting again in The Winds of Winter.

Honestly, around halfway through the second book, I just started skimming over the parts I'm not very interested in. "Jon, Ygritte, thingy, got it."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]