Warlocks are Getting Weak Again

85 Human Rogue
Most players who complain about warlocks being weak dont want to play a support class.

Warlocks used to be very good at solo pvp, being very tanky with big self heals.

These days, warlocks are all about supporting their team with UA, while their own damage is rather mediocre unless its a very long engagement. Burst is non-existant. Lock survivability now comes almost exclusively from Demon Armors 30% increase to healing, meaning we need a healbot to complete our survival toolkit.

Yes warlocks do fine in 3v3 and RBGs.

There is a reason, however, that you see maybe one warlock every 2 or 3 BGs, and it isnt because they do well =)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I find demonology works better in bgs than affliction. one reason is Axe Toss. that 4 sec stun + death coil + fear can put some serious control on a healer/rogue/whatever.

rogue can keep you stunned for what, 7 secs? I can control a person without his trinket up for over 20 seconds. *devilish grin*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Conradical, don't be dumb. Well, too late for all that, but, it's the class and not a lock being a carried 3rd wheel along for cookies and fear bombs.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warlock
05/12/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Johnnyreb
Conradical, don't be dumb. Well, too late for all that, but, it's the class and not a lock being a carried 3rd wheel along for cookies and fear bombs.

Johnnyreb, don't be dumb. Well, too late for all that but, it's the player problem if you are not doing good, not the class when you are trying to 1v3 a rogue.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Read the sentence a few times and then think about it.

Are warlocks top represented in arena?

There is no specifications, ad in the full view of 'arena' warlocks are at the bottom of overall representation. Currently, from rating 0 to 2900, we are at the low end compared to other classes. The only real representation we gain is from RLS, which is because rogue's are overpowered now.

Warlocks aren't represented very much because of the approach to play the class. Alot of people think that all we're about is playing a game of dot dot goose. If you don't use your skills properly and at the right time, or you let your opponent freecast on you, you're gonna die a painful and embarrassing death. As a manipulative class, your responsibility is to keep your opponents off balance. Most people that whine about dying in BG's are those that run into the middle in WSG and get burned down by a handful of players because they're all connecting at once. 4 players hitting you at once is enough to kill nearly anyone, given the people aren't brain dead.

We have more representation than RLS. Our ability to synergize with nearly any class is what makes us strong. Our dots keep the enemy healer working double time, and our control keeps them fighting to get heals going.

Now this semi-dramatically worded passage sounds like the land of milk and honey for PvP, but the problem is that people see the YouTube videos of high rated players and read forum stories about wins and kills and think everything will be a cake walk. Same goes for the people that play frost mages that don't blink out of Deep Freeze because they don't know their class.

There will ALWAYS be flavor classes. Warlocks are one of these flavors, but they have an acquired taste that most find too bitter and undesirable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
05/12/2012 02:59 PMPosted by Johnnyreb

Okay, keep thinking what you're thinking. One way to progress as a gamer is definitely to say "my class sucks and I can't do anything". That's definitely the right attitude.
Reply Quote
45 Worgen Warlock
03/29/2012 02:26 PMPosted by Maleficent
When a class is few and far between there will always be a "demand" LOL

There is only a demand if the class or spec can perform. No one is demanding Combat Rogues in PvP not because of the scarcity, they have no real value. Your point is moot.

Insane spread damage means nothing without decent self healing or better survivability. If we are supposed to pread damage around and outlast other players we should have appropriate tools. Warlock pvp is like having a ferrari on a dirt road. Its great to look at. The damage numbers might do spell in select settings. PVP happens in more than select settings.

Considering the fact you should have Corruption on multiple targets and using Haunt on CD, the self-heals are there. Also, your metaphor was ineffective.

Shadow bite from the fel hunter is great when he doesnt bug. I do find it odd that a basic demon use able in all specs hits harder than I do in any spec or the fel guard can.

Bug? What bug exactly? What do you know that I don't? Back up these claims please.

Synergy is great but you only prove my point alone we are quite useless and dead in the water.

DK can lichborn fear
hunters- beastial wrath.
Mages- can ice block fear
Pallys- can bubble
Priest- have fear ward
Rogues- have cloak of shadows
Shaman- totem for fear
warriors- berserker rage

Assuming they are not UD or human of course.

This is just a matter of rotating through cooldowns to live. If you're neglecting your Port, HS, Shadow Ward, Shadowflame Snare, or just Drain Life spam, I have no empathy.

Fear has its moments but to say I have no clue about fear is quite funny. When so many classes can easily break or become immune to fear is becoming more and more useless.

Fear isn't the only CC that is abnormal. Can you Poly or Hex a Druid that's shapeshifted?

If you havent looked at new talents if you take blood fear it will cost you 10% of your hp to cast soon. Just to have a player break it without a trinkey. Now fear is helping the other players kill us.

I actually have quite extensively. Blood Fear is outrageously OP and it's going to be nerfed sooner or later; other classes would kill for such instant CC.

I don't see were there is alot of Demand for Demo or Destro Warlocks ether that road go's more then one way.

But honestly I dont see were rouges are balanced around much of anything in PvP there realy OP in most area's now. Though there were times that we were too.

Added to that fact were being complty removed in MoP and replaced with a hole new class in omost all but name. We should probly all just wait it out at this late hour.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
05/12/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Umbrahdhar
I don't see were there is alot of Demand for Demo or Destro Warlocks ether that road go's more then one way.

Destro remains a solid PvP spec, largely in random-BG play, but it is viable in arena as well.

Demo is more there for random-BG fun. It can't do all that much that Destro or Aff already do better, but it's a very flashy spec that condenses everything into short, 36-second bursts of joy followed by a minute-plus of impotence.

...huh, that analogy started going off in an odd direction.

05/12/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Umbrahdhar
Added to that fact were being complty removed in MoP and replaced with a hole new class in omost all but name. We should probly all just wait it out at this late hour.

Not really true. Our specs are being streamlined and brought more into what they were thought to be in the first place (Meaning: Aff focuses on shadow magic and DoTs, Demo blends shadow and fire, focusing on demonic strenth, and Destro focuses on fire magic and heavy-hitting nukes)

Yes, there are major changes, but if anything, we're becoming MORE like the Warlock class, rather than less.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
05/12/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Drostahn
it's a very flashy spec that condenses everything into short, 36-second bursts of joy followed by a minute-plus of impotence.
lol contrasted by the fire mage which does full on hard damage the whole while...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
05/12/2012 03:29 AMPosted by Stx
Most players who complain about warlocks being weak dont want to play a support class.

Support is fun in an organized setting, but a large portion of the player base (myself included), doesn't play in the arenas any longer nor plays in RBGs.

Which is sad, because I always enjoyed playing this guy. But just now got the stomach to level him to 85 and am saddened at what little I can do on my own without a healer or other players to support. Dots seem to tickle (I swear I saw a recup on a rogue out healing my full spread of dots, but I am probably being hyperbolic), CC is broken by anyone and everyone around you, and I seem squishy as all get out.

Oh well, I am sure in the hands of a pro, the warlock is just fine. But most players like to kill people, not support those that are doing the killing.

What was the old saying that was spread around here at one time?

"Everyone wants to be Batman, no one wants to be Robin."

C'est la Vie
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warlock
Which is sad, because I always enjoyed playing this guy. But just now got the stomach to level him to 85 and am saddened at what little I can do on my own without a healer or other players to support. Dots seem to tickle (I swear I saw a recup on a rogue out healing my full spread of dots, but I am probably being hyperbolic), CC is broken by anyone and everyone around you, and I seem squishy as all get out.
YOU. HAVE. NO. GEAR. Sorry, but everyone has this problem when they just hit 85. Yes yes, even mages. get gear and then you will be able to preform well and your dots will make the enemy team pull their hair out while trying to heal through the spread damage. You are in greens/blues and expect to be able to do damage vs fully geared 85s? No, that's not how it works buddy. So go get geared then you can come back and complain that you have no clue how to play a warlock and start blaming the class again, Ill be waiting to tell you these are L2P problems.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
05/12/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Maleficent
I'm sorry, but what does this even mean.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
05/12/2012 03:29 AMPosted by Stx
These days, warlocks are all about supporting their team with UA
Except shadow priests do it better. Which is worse, a dispellable silence or an undispellable horror effect?

Also, you’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

It’s just common sense.
Edited by Brolan on 5/13/2012 11:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
Also, you’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

It’s just common sense.

I like you.
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warlock
05/13/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Brolan
Except shadow priests do it better. Which is worse, a dispellable silence or an undispellable horror effect?

Except you're wrong on two occasions. Our silence only drs with regular moves, it doesn't dr with itself while a shadow priests dispel drs with their disarm, its self and with deathcoil.
and yes, it is also dispellable.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
05/13/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Sathrago
So go get geared then you can come back and complain that you have no clue how to play a warlock and start blaming the class again, Ill be waiting to tell you these are L2P problems.

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry if I made you angry. I know how vitriolic and wasteful these forums can become. I did not intend to come across as a simple QQ post.

This is my 6th 85 this expansion, and I am simply having more trouble with him than any of the others while at comparable gear levels.

And yes, I always need to learn to play. I am not the best player in the world by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Play a fire mage, watch tv at the same time, and profit.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/28/2012 06:49 PMPosted by Fireemage
Warlock PVP = stand back hope no one sees you dot/soul swap.

Yeah, watching for Locks and killing them is my main objective in PVP. Luckily, I attract casters like flies or I'd probably have more trouble than I do.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]