An Argument For Warlock Tanks #5

(Locked)

70 Human Warlock
03/30/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Erinnys
1) Demo-tanking is made into a fourth Spec for Warlocks

Pro: Easily balanced. More streamlined.

Con: People will expect 4th specs to be the norm.

2) Demo-tanking is available to Demonology locks via a glyph

Pro: Less development time.

Con: Harder to balance. Sets a new precedent for glyphs.

3) Demonology is completely reformed into a tanking spec, no longer dps.

!@#$ that.
89 Orc Warlock
03/30/2012 12:44 PMPosted by Lazaurath
I hope we can at least get a response saying they aren't ruling this idea out forever.

it may be a matter of saving face.

Ghostcrawler made a statement, if they backtrack too soon it will cause them to lose credibility as if they are pandering to a whining vocal minority.

I think ghostcrawler posts contained errors or at least revealed that the DEV team did not have a uniform idea of what they were trying to do with locks. but since he made that post the dev team is now obligated to make to try to make the glyph do what he described it would do. At least for a couple of iterations of the beta.

Maybe in a month or two they give us some post saying they are going to move in a new direction. but that could be anything.
Edited by Erinnys on 3/30/2012 12:52 PM PDT
90 Human Warlock

Probably the best solution, something that elegantly avoids the problem of Bearcatting. The biggest issue is it does support a precedence that Blizzard may not be ready to embrace yet.

By far the most interesting prospect. Not only, if balanced right, does it prevent bearcatting, but it opens up the possibility of radically changing ones playstyle through glyphs. This is huge, and offers real, true, customization. The downside, balance aint gonna be easy.

Probably the least preferred option. While I personally don't mind, many will. This one is going to cause the most ruffled feathers. On the other hand, historically, Demo is the least played spec(may have changed in MoP. don't really know)

A little bit of harvest of their life,

A little bit of voidwalker by my side.

A little bit of soul link's all I need,

A little bit of life tap's all I see.

A little bit of meta in the sun,

A little bit of hellfire all night long.

A little bit of dark regen here I am,

A little bit of glyph makes me your tank!

Tank thread number five!

This is just all kinds of win.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
03/30/2012 12:51 PMPosted by Shadowsouled
This is just all kinds of win.

:D
85 Night Elf Mage
I'm a random person and I support warlock tanks.

The haters just don't want to be envious a year down the road when warlocks are tanking as a badass demon and they're a lame warrior or something.
85 Blood Elf Warlock

I'd like this option, but I really think tanking via glyphing it is the better option (which I will expound on later). It would probably be easier to balance, but you would end up with another spec that shares a lot of the same flavor as the Demo DPS spec.

This is my preferred option. Glyphing into a new role is such an innovative, fresh take on the glyph system that I can't imagine why people would be opposed to it. It's completely optional, allows a new take on a spec while retaining it's original flavor, and functionally is the same as changing your spec out of combat (and is, in fact, arguably more annoying than changing your spec).

Not to mention, this would open up the option of a quasi tri-spec system if implemented for other classes. A lot of people have been asking for that.

My least preferred option, by far. I would prefer having one tanking and two DPS for warlocks than three DPS specs, but I know there a lot of people who enjoy Demo DPS and I think it would be best to step on as little toes as possible.
90 Human Warrior
I foresee the similar issues to those created by Blood DK tanks in PvP this last expac that took until 4.3 to get fixed. Now instead of the teams of DK's we will see unkillable tank spec Warlocks resulting in 30min Arena games as they "tank" the damage on top of their existing kiting abilites.

Anyone else concerned by the prospect of a demo lock able to stand still and drain life betwen interrupts, self healing through DPSers trying to go all out to kill them in the same way that Blood DKs could Death Strike themselves though a 30min onslaught? Thank god the vengeance thing won't apply....becuase the attack power (or in this case spell power increase) would result in the defensive playing tank getting enough damage output to win the fight.
32 Orc Warlock
If they make it so the glyph/presence will make a viable Offtank or Backup tank I for one (and im sure many others will too) will happily queue up with a "tank" dps and go to town on some random dungeons. The idea of tanking as a Demon is just too awesome.....and we have been givin a taste so sweet it wont be forgotten anytime soon
85 Goblin Warlock
I admit, I've mostly abandoned my warlock in cata, they are no fun right now. However, with all of the legitimate changes coming through I'm super super excited to play him again.

That being said, Warlocks don't need to be tanks. Glyph or spec or whatever your argument for it is, it doesn't make sense for a class that has been completely about melting faces to suddenly start meatshielding.

Be happy that the class is getting an overhaul with new pets and new systems. Don't kill it by begging for something that doesn't even make sense, if Blizz caved to this the warlock class would be a giant mess.

Vote NO on warlock tanks!
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I admit, I've mostly abandoned my warlock in cata, they are no fun right now. However, with all of the legitimate changes coming through I'm super super excited to play him again.

That being said, Warlocks don't need to be tanks. Glyph or spec or whatever your argument for it is, it doesn't make sense for a class that has been completely about melting faces to suddenly start meatshielding.

Be happy that the class is getting an overhaul with new pets and new systems. Don't kill it by begging for something that doesn't even make sense, if Blizz caved to this the warlock class would be a giant mess.

Vote NO on warlock tanks!

I'm sorry, but how does it not make sense for a giant purple demon to get all up in the mob's faces and rip them apart?
90 Human Warlock
I was just talking about this on my radio show, why couldnt you make this thread sooner :< I linked them the very first one.

Dude, this has been going for....5days?
90 Blood Elf Paladin

This is what I would prefer. It would be far easier to balance than a glyph that makes warlocks tanks. Call it the Morphology tree. Perhaps warlock tanks sacrifice there pets to gain more defensive bonus and have a permanent morphed stance. This could make it a bit different from demonology.
90 Human Warlock

That being said, Warlocks don't need to be tanks. Glyph or spec or whatever your argument for it is, it doesn't make sense for a class that has been completely about melting faces to suddenly start meatshielding

This is an odd view Scracket. Warlocks melting faces.. it's not really what it's been about.

We have always been the bulkier caster. We have always been the class that could take the biggest hit after tanks. We have always been the go to caster tank. We even have spells designed around generating threat in game right now.

Demo Locks exemplify that nature more so than the other two specs, but even they hold it to some degree.

Mages were glass canons. They were good for quick bursts of damage and then leveling out, and the trade off is they can't take a hit.

Warlocks? We take the hits, and our specs eat that burst in order for our long build up to come to fruition.

Melting faces? Yes.. But through outlasting our opponents. We are the slow burn, not the big boom.
85 Goblin Warlock
03/30/2012 01:16 PMPosted by Shadowsouled
Melting faces? Yes.. But through outlasting our opponents. We are the slow burn, not the big boom.

Staying alive long enough to melt a face isn't the same as tanking.
90 Goblin Warlock
Glyph or spec or whatever your argument for it is, it does make sense for a class that has been mostly about doing bad dps and being used for tanking random fights to suddenly start being good dps or full time tank depending on your preference.

I only play affliction right now and that is getting a new pet and another filler spell that is soo worth 60 bucks.

Vote yes to warlock tanks
88 Night Elf Rogue
I know it's been said several times before, but you know what....it's about time every class got a fourth spec. Why not? Seriously, this game needs freshened up.....even to the point where adding a new role altogether would be quite nice. If we're not going to break from the standard "Tank" or "DPS" or "Heal" specs, then why not give existing classes new roles to try. I know I'm just another lowly opinion out here is this flood of a thread, but I would really like to see a new level of badassery and awesomeness in this game.
85 Goblin Warlock
Glyph or spec or whatever your argument for it is, it does make sense for a class that has been mostly about doing bad dps and being used for tanking random fights to suddenly start being good dps or full time tank depending on your preference.

I only play affliction right now and that is getting a new pet and another filler spell that is soo worth 60 bucks.

You seem bitter...
90 Human Warlock
03/30/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Scracket

Staying alive long enough to melt a face isn't the same as tanking.

Have you seen the videos? Locks can tank.
90 Goblin Warlock

You seem bitter...

Why not? They said they were going to change everything and I see the other specs got new resources and affliction is stuck with the same system that isnt any fun in cata. Then they make warlock tanking a viable option and promise to take it away a few days later.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]