An Argument For Warlock Tanks #5

(Locked)

88 Human Warlock
03/30/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Zdrada
I really think that Blizzard no longer listens.

Well this had lasted 4 threads, so they're not ignoring us.
20 Worgen Druid
03/30/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Derrek
We're at a point in the game and the development cycle where not only is adding full-featured tanking option for Warlocks viable, it's gotten a huge amount of positive feedback ( moreso than Brewmaster tanking, I might add ) especially among those of us who have been the caster tank for years now and want to be able to go further than the occasional Keleseth.

Allowing Warlocks to tank also brings forward some more diversity within the class, which is always a good thing. The question is... While tanking as a Warlock, would you still feel like one? To elaborate, would tanking as a Warlock feel like a Warlock thing, or would you feel like you were playing an entirely different class?
90 Dwarf Warlock
Warlocks shouldn't tank.

/signed the shaman community.
Some shamans are okay with this. Have you looked through the older posts? I have. Dont speak for everyone, Just yourself
85 Human Paladin
1) Demo-tanking is made into a fourth Spec for Warlocks
2) Demo-tanking is available to Demonology locks via a glyph
3) Demonology is completely reformed into a tanking spec, no longer dps.

I think the best option would be #1.

Number two would have people crying about a glyph being game changing, and we'd have two specs in one, when we just split the fereal spec in two.

#3 Would have the demonology DPS people up in arms, and we want to keep them happy.

#1 would allow easy balancing, while leaving the other specs alone.
88 Human Warlock
Warlocks shouldn't tank.

Why?
/signed Me

Cuz shamans can't

So....make a thread FOR it.
/signed Me
86 Gnome Warlock
03/30/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Rothrin
it does make sense for a class that has been mostly about doing bad dps and being used for tanking random fights

we pull bad dps?
85 Blood Elf Warlock
03/30/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Frylox

My personal hopeful tinfoil hat theory is that they do plan on going the whole 9 yards with Demo tanking and used this whole thing to gauge interest, build hype and end up with a lot of grateful warlocks when they put it back in.
88 Human Warlock
03/30/2012 01:54 PMPosted by Relitheria

My personal hopeful tinfoil hat theory is that they do plan on going the whole 9 yards with Demo tanking and used this whole thing to gauge interest, build hype and end up with a lot of grateful warlocks when they put it back in.

then Blizz will look like the heros "we listen to our players, don't say we don't"
90 Worgen Warlock
Do most of you have actual tanking experience on another class?

As an ex-MT/RL I just find this request kind of bizarre to be honest. 99% of tanking is herding cats, and being there to clean up the mess. The only really fun job is OT on bosses that have interesting mechanics (most don't). Even MT is really dull most of the time, stand there, do threat, use CDs.

I honestly don't see them doing this because to make you viable at all you would end up being better DKs than DKs. I can't imagine it would make PVP more fun.

More power to you though, I get the feeling you think it is more glamorous and fun that it really is.

I am terrified to tank because of how groups tear apart bad tanks, but I would be willing to face that outcome if I could face it as a warlock
90 Goblin Warlock
Warlocks shouldn't tank.

I beleive that is hasty generalisation?

I support lock tanking

/signed Baron Munchausen
90 Human Warlock
We're at a point in the game and the development cycle where not only is adding full-featured tanking option for Warlocks viable, it's gotten a huge amount of positive feedback ( moreso than Brewmaster tanking, I might add ) especially among those of us who have been the caster tank for years now and want to be able to go further than the occasional Keleseth.

Allowing Warlocks to tank also brings forward some more diversity within the class, which is always a good thing. The question is... While tanking as a Warlock, would you still feel like one? To elaborate, would tanking as a Warlock feel like a Warlock thing, or would you feel like you were playing an entirely different class?

Having not had the chance to test the beta build yet, I can't etch my reply in granite, but based off of past experience, yes.

My Warrior feels like a Warrior regardless of whether he's tanking or bladestorming. My Pally feels like a Pally when he's slicing things in two with a giant sword and when he's channeling the Light to keep his flag carrier alive. My Priest feels like a Priest when she's healing and when she's healing ( she honestly feels like a Warlock when she's dpsing ). I don't have a high-level Druid, but they among all creatures have the greatest spec diversity. Yet they still feel like a Druid whether healing, tanking, moonfiring, or catting their way through a raid or BG.

I have utmost confidence that tanking as a Warlock will still feel like a Warlock thing, in the same way that Monks will tank, heal, and DPS and still feel like Monks.
Edited by Derrek on 3/30/2012 2:04 PM PDT
90 Human Warlock
Warlocks shouldn't tank.

If we get the ability to tank, that might be a step in the direction to one day have shaman tanks again.
90 Dwarf Warlock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzCYtjG0mKo

TWO THINGS. One, I do not know how current this is. TWO Yes, I know this is op, But this shows basicly what warlocks would do as they tank.

So Yes, I would deffently feel like a warlock doing this

Edit: Saw what the shadowbolt glyph does, I wants eet. Makes one 30k Bolt. into 3 10k bolts >.> Thats just awsome
Edited by Taezi on 3/30/2012 2:07 PM PDT
90 Human Warlock
I don't understand people's argument that a giant demonic creature is unfit to tank. It's a giant demon, what's weak and fragile about that?! It's coated in it's demonic nether plating, has 600% armor boost, and up-close demon abilities to tank with. (not a long range caster tank like many are complaining about)

Leveling a warlock to 85 requires doing tons of quests, which is fine and dandy for someone's first couple characters, but I personally prefer leveling strictly by running dungeons. Running dungeons with pure DPS's is time consuming and quite bothersome in my opinion, and feel it would be great if something could be done about providing us with more options.

I have other tank characters (my fav being druid) that I play as alot more frequently than my warlock, so it's not like I'm gonna be a crappy tank, nor would I be increasing the ratio of tank's on my server. I simply would like more diversity in types of tanks, and feel like this would satisfy me, and many others, because warlocks are a very interesting class.

Lets face it, alot of people fear tanking. Rather because it's a vital role, or because they're afraid that they'll suck at it. I don't think letting warlocks tank would cause an influx of tanks, so the people fearing that it would cause more competition among tanks, I think they are mistaken.
90 Tauren Warrior
03/30/2012 01:45 PMPosted by Derrek

I have, and I rather enjoy it. Tanking is something I would like to be able to do on my Lock. The arguments for it are already posted across several ( very long ) threads. So far it's felt as if we can half-tank for all of 36 seconds in Meta, or drain tank on fights like Keleseth, but never really got to go the whole nine yards and say, "I am a tank. It's what I do."

Granted, I have not raided at all during Cataclysm so my input here is based on Vanilla through WotLK.

Here is the thing. I think Warlocks could be very viable for Magic bosses but what about the others.

If you oversimplify what all bosses do into a few categories it kind of goes like this. #1 Huge spike damage from melee, #2 moderate mixed magic/melee damage, #3 moderate melee huge spike from magic.

I can see Warlocks doing #3 and #2 in the hands of a capable tank if some theoretical Warlock tank existed. #1 is what makes the tanking forums go into a pity party QQ meltdown. I just don't see how they can make the lowest AC class in the game fit into that puzzle without doing something really dumb like buffing your Armor by absurd amounts or giving you like an Ardent Defender proc every 2.5 seconds.

I stand by what I said earlier though. I think tanking sounds a lot more glorious and fun than it really is, and you might be better off being niche tanks or that player than can tank some stuff for fun and bragging.

If you get what you want, great.
90 Human Warlock
Beta.

A time of limited development and tuning.

Such a shame to waste all that development time that's already gone into a glyph, instead of just tuning it. You know, just me, but I think I'd rather spend the extra time tuning and have something to show for it instead of abandoning it and wasting the time either way.

I just don't see how they can make the lowest AC class in the game fit into that puzzle without doing something really

The original glyph gave Demo Locks the highest AC in the game in meta.
The new glyph+meta combo gives them AC on par with sword and board (though behind druids)
The Meta tank mastery reduces damage taken, scaling with Mastery.
Edited by Shadowsouled on 3/30/2012 2:21 PM PDT
90 Human Warlock
I just don't see how they can make the lowest AC class in the game fit into that puzzle without doing something really dumb like buffing your Armor by absurd amounts or giving you like an Ardent Defender proc every 2.5 seconds.

They kinda do that already ( See Metamorphosis: Nether Plating ( Passive ) - Increases armor from items by 400%, provides reduced 6% chance to be critically hit ) but it isn't like they don't do it for Bears either.

As for spike damage, it's what cooldowns are for. And boy, do we have cooldowns. See this Meta Tanking thread for examples:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4254517075?page=1

The discussion has evolved a lot along with the changes and clarifications that have rolled out recently but you'll find most of our utility spells listed in there.

Trust me when I say we are far from squishy in MoP.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/30/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Kolben

I have an 85 paladin with a prot OS that I use to get satchels when I'm bored. I've also spent a fair bit of time blood tanking on my DK, but not at max level.

I don't like tanking overmuch, but I think locks should have the option if they want it (which they clearly do). This thing interests me more for the potential of a glyph to radically change how your character plays.

03/30/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Zdrada

I think they do, though maybe not as much as some people would like. I have seen a lot of feedback being incorporated into MoP class changes. For instance, a lot of rogues wanted a decent ranged attack in MoP, and then shuriken toss showed up on the talent calculator.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]