An Argument For Warlock Tanks #5

(Locked)

88 Human Warlock
03/30/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Litlsyli
You now need avoidance. Spirit would be way too much to ask, since it would piss off the priest healers even more that they have to share with shadow priests. If you ever give avoidance to a Warlock tank it would be through other means, such as Intellect. Compare it to a druid if you will.

But only priests need spirit cloth as opposed to
Leather- Druids and low lvl shammies
Mail - shammies and low lvl pallys
Plate - well just pallys i guess.

Spirit cloth would be the best for low lvl demotanks due to not getting mastery (the real go-to stat) till 80
88 Human Warlock
Blizzard is too far into MoP to add lock tanks, it's NOT going to happen (atleast in this expansion).

1 week into beta....too far, really?
90 Blood Elf Warlock
03/30/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Rosaria
If you want to tank so bad then you should roll a real tanking class. There is no way a Warlock tank would work inside this games mechanics.

Plate wearing tank classes are hard enough to heal with the dumdums that don't intgrate their CDs properly, or assume invincibility based on their ilvl and ignore mechanics that DO still hurt, and CAN still kill you, or try to slap tank gear on while in ret/arms/fury/holy/resto whatever non-tank spec...

The last thing I want to have to heal is a bad tank who wears cloth.

Warlock tanks already worked in the beta. In fact, they worked too well. They were soloing raid bosses. All that's needed for warlock tanks to work is for them to be nerfed so they're not by far the best tanks in the game. It's mostly just a numbers tweak.

At least take the time to learn what we're talking about before you start bashing the idea.
88 Human Warlock

And there is a problem with that?

With Mist of Pandaria there is. For the future, not to big a deal. MoP is done, adding another tank is a whole new project, and it's not going to happen when the expansion launches.

This is the perfect time to test the theory. The stuff is pretty much there.
Not gonna let it die, sorry
90 Human Warlock
Rule Number One, guys. Don't feed the forum trolls. They're identifiable by a) blatant ignorance of a subject, and b) unwillingness to crawl out of said state of ignorance.

03/30/2012 03:29 PMPosted by Rraklos
I totally beg to differ, demo dps right now is on par with (or very close to) other dps classes... I do 18 to 28k, depending on the number of enemies and group/raid class make-up.

The comment was referring to Demo without the Mastery benefit ( which is replaced by scaling damage reduction if you take the Glyph of Demon Hunting ). Basically, imagine Demo, then take away their Mastery, and you have the damage output a Meta Tank would have. He's saying Meta Tanks won't do more damage than other tanks just because Warlocks have traditionally been a 'pure DPS' class.
Edited by Derrek on 3/30/2012 4:26 PM PDT
At first I didn't like the idea of warlock "tanks", but it seems completely plausible to be honest. A spec that is more about the warlock himself turning into a demon (maybe demon tanks don't have pets, instead the warlock becomes the demon), and using these new powers to tank. Honestly a demon seems more likely to take a hit like a champ then a bear or puny mortal. I say give warlocks a demon tanking spec!

However, using this new "logic" Blizzard would be harassed into giving all classes 4 specs. If they give druids and warlocks 4 specs people will complain, I'm sure of it. I'm kinda surprised people haven't already.
Edited by Krønik on 3/30/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Plate wearing tank classes are hard enough to heal with the dumdums that don't intgrate their CDs properly, or assume invincibility based on their ilvl and ignore mechanics that DO still hurt, and CAN still kill you, or try to slap tank gear on while in ret/arms/fury/holy/resto whatever non-tank spec...

The last thing I want to have to heal a bad tank who wears cloth.

ignorant post is ignorant

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean its ignorant.
90 Troll Warlock
Tanking blows. It is a horrible, thankless job and I for one am glad not to have it. I play a dps because I want to dps. If I ever want to heal or tank then I'll log onto a different character that heals or tanks.

Everyone wishing for warlock tanking has lost their mind. Be careful what you wish for people. They just might give it to you.
90 Worgen Death Knight
Not sure if it's already been covered in all the threads and posts yet, so apologies if it has...But giving Locks a Dedicated Tanking spec based on their history of being a tank for particular fights and just one glyph seems a bit presumtuous. Not to mention that would make them the Only Pure class with more flexability than the others-it would no longer make them a Pure class.

Sure, we're just talking about the Demo Warlock right now, but let's assume in some scenario it does go through-what of the other pure classes? Rogues have been able to evasion tank in the past, and Hunters have Pet Tanked raids, and then there's at least Once I recall where Mages have been a tank in a Gruuls encounter. Not to mention Shaman-who COULD tank at one point (but not very well)

I guess my point is, why should Warlocks be given a dedicated tank spec based on premises that other classes also fill and a single glyph? It just seems like giving an inch and asking for a mile.
Optional glyph is optional.
90 Troll Priest

It's ignorant because the same point can be made about druids, which shouldnt keep them from being a tank. A demon form lock will have huge mitigation just like other tanks.
85 Gnome Warlock

It is ignorant due to the fact that it doesn't take all the facts that have been presented through out the entierty of this set of threads. the fact that we wear cloth has nothing to do with it. in the current live version when I go into meta I have 66k armor. my dk who is heroic geared has only 63k armor. if meta were to be a permenate "stance change" then we would have some of the highest armor for non shield weilding tanks. (not sure on Druid armor numbers here have yet to level a bear to 85 yet.)
90 Night Elf Druid
Tanking blows. It is a horrible, thankless job and I for one am glad not to have it. I play a dps because I want to dps. If I ever want to heal or tank then I'll log onto a different character that heals or tanks.

Everyone wishing for warlock tanking has lost their mind. Be careful what you wish for people. They just might give it to you.

Opinions are not fact. I really wish they would give it to us.

03/30/2012 04:39 PMPosted by Tígra
Optional glyph is optional.

And this.

03/30/2012 04:40 PMPosted by Gesp
(not sure on Druid armor numbers here have yet to level a bear to 85 yet.)

52k atm. Not raiding heroic DS yet.
Edited by Sarror on 3/30/2012 4:45 PM PDT
58 Night Elf Death Knight
Opinions are not fact. I really wish they would give it to us.

Thanks for defining "irony" by example. I lol'd.
90 Gnome Warlock

It's ignorant whether or not someone agrees with it. Armor type doesn't make the tank, and it's one of the WORST arguments anyone can make against the supporters.
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Thought I'd chip in on my armor value.

Metamorphosis Armor Value:

[Without] 7694 (22.79% Physical Damage Reduction)
[With] 53858 (67.38% Physical Damage Reduction)

Not bad, I think.
Edited by Keety on 3/30/2012 4:50 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Warlock
Not sure if it's already been covered in all the threads and posts yet, so apologies if it has...But giving Locks a Dedicated Tanking spec based on their history of being a tank for particular fights and just one glyph seems a bit presumtuous. Not to mention that would make them the Only Pure class with more flexability than the others-it would no longer make them a Pure class.

Sure, we're just talking about the Demo Warlock right now, but let's assume in some scenario it does go through-what of the other pure classes? Rogues have been able to evasion tank in the past, and Hunters have Pet Tanked raids, and then there's at least Once I recall where Mages have been a tank in a Gruuls encounter. Not to mention Shaman-who COULD tank at one point (but not very well)

I guess my point is, why should Warlocks be given a dedicated tank spec based on premises that other classes also fill and a single glyph? It just seems like giving an inch and asking for a mile.

Hey, I agree. I could totally see a rogue glyphing something like a "Glyph of Swashbuckling", insulting opponents only to parry and dodge their attacks. Or a hunter becoming AI controlled while the player takes control of their pet. Mages I'm not so sure about, but I could easily see them being able to fulfilling a healing role. And Shamans? I agree, they should totally be able to tank!

The difference is Blizz already created a glyph that allows warlocks to tank. This is, IMO, an innovative design that really does allow a glyph to do what it's promised; incredible customization of your character. Perhaps Warlock tanking could open up the doors for the other classes, seeing as how the developer time was already put into it.

Also, I would argue that since the Hybrid Tax no longer seems to exist, then there really isn't any advantage to any class staying pure. Their DPS is no longer enhanced because of it, and all it does is limit the available playstyles they have.
85 Goblin Death Knight
Honestly, at this point, I think every argument that can be made on both sides of the aisle has been made, and most of these threads have devolved into going over the same things over and over along with more and more vicious insults tossed on both camps.

Let the devs come out with a new update, then we can make a new threat imo.
70 Human Warlock
Honestly, at this point, I think every argument that can be made on both sides of the aisle has been made, and most of these threads have devolved into going over the same things over and over along with more and more vicious insults tossed on both camps.

Let the devs come out with a new update, then we can make a new threat imo.

The threads are to show that people want this. The arguments have been made. The people who continue to argue against it are mostly doing it out of spite or trolling, rather than arguing any legitimate points.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]