New Raid Healer LF Advice

85 Orc Shaman
Hello, my name is Gläwäsh. I am the current raid healer in my guilds 10 man Progression guild. My experience, throughout the game, raid healing has been none at best. During LK I was tank healer, during release of Cata up until about a week or two ago I was Tank Healer. My heals right now are (on avg) 11k HPS to 15k HPS, now and again I will pop above 15k but I find that I am lacking by the 2 tank heals who are pulling 19-22k HPS + having to help me with the raid, from time to time.

So let me explain how do I what I do and we'll from there.

My gems/forge/enchants can be found on the armory.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Gl%C3%A4w%C3%A4sh/advanced

My UI:
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/Deadhuntr/WoW/WoW2012-04-0211-53-43-59.jpg

My Main Heal:
right now I use RipTid as my main hot (keep as many up as I can for mana regen)
spam chain heal.
Use unleash ele & Healing Rain as a macro.

Addons:
Grid & Clique

Any tips or suggestions would be great!! Thank You
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
04/02/2012 11:59 AMPosted by Gläwäsh
spam chain heal.

spamming CH in 10 man isn't that great. It will work on a few fights but GHW will give you more bang for your buck when damage gets high. Make sure it will hit at least three people or don't bother casting it.

Your stats are all over the place. It is better to have your haste at 916, 1296, or 2005. Inbetween that it really is kind of a waste. Your mastery is pretty low as well.

As much as i hat ethe spell you should spec into TC as shaman mana regen is kind of bad. And since it seems it isn't going away in MoP might as well learn to use it.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
"Your stats are all over the place."

My stats are...
Int, Haste, Crit - not sure what you mean by this either.

I do not have TC do to the more I dps the less time I spend healing. If I have the mana to cast an LB I have the mana to heal. So again, I am confused on this statement.

Yes my mastery is low, last time I checked (even after looking at a few forums/webstes) because I am not using single target heals as a RAID healer mastery is worse then Crit. So I removed the majority of my mastery for haste & crit.

Thanks - I am still looking for assistance
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
04/02/2012 03:22 PMPosted by Gläwäsh
I do not have TC do to the more I dps the less time I spend healing. If I have the mana to cast an LB I have the mana to heal. So again, I am confused on this statement

Well this is my shaman, been posting on my DK lately. But nevertheless TC is pretty much mandatory. A couple of fights it is hard to fit them in but most have good time for it. It's a personal choice but come back in a few months and i will throw out an "i told you so".
Yes my mastery is low, last time I checked (even after looking at a few forums/webstes) because I am not using single target heals as a RAID healer mastery is worse then Crit.

In 10 man you will be using a lot of single target heals as a "raid healer". 10 man is unkind to chain heal.
My stats are...Int, Haste, Crit - not sure what you mean by this either.

Int always first choice. Your haste is at a useless point. Try to hit one of the three points i posted above and stay there until you can reach the next.

916 is extra tick of ELW
1296 is 2 extra ticks of HR with 4pc set
2005 extra tick of rt

Crit is not something you want to reforge, gear for, or gem ever. It is our worst stat behind haste/mastery/spirit in no particular order.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Your spec/glyphs and stat priorities are a little messed up in my humble opinion.

First: you have 3 points in natures guardian and no points in Ancestral Awakening. This is an even more puzzling choice considering your love of crit.

Second: Take those points out of improved cleanse and put them into ancestral resolve.

Third: I would take 1 point out of Acuity and use it for nature's swiftness. Insta cast big heal is kind of money.

Glyph: Water shield glyph is lame. Trade it out for Earth Shield.

Stats: I stack mastery after meeting the extra elw tick cap and I highly recommend it.

Gems: Use the int/+crit effect gem instead of the max mana gem.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Well, I had been raiding as Tank Healer since LK. So as I said this whole "raid healer" role is brand new to me. So I have no idea what I am doing, all I know is my HPS is below where they should be - simple.

Glyph: Water shield glyph is lame. Trade it out for Earth Shield.

Problem is mana, I am not a tank healer - I do not use ES.

Gems: Use the int/+crit effect gem instead of the max mana gem.

Again, my MANA is my issue - so no, but thank you for the advice.

Third: I would take 1 point out of Acuity and use it for nature's swiftness. Insta cast big heal is kind of money.

I found that NS was useless, never needed it / Never used it.

While I do appritciate all the advice, I am looking for examples as to WHAT I should change and HOW I should change it.... websites, links, forge tips, gem tips.... etc. spec vs my spec... all that good stuff.

Thanks
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
/Mom-mode on

OP, you came here looking for advice and thus far, you have been given it. At this point you are either, trolling, ignorant, or being stubborn. I'm going to vote for the later. Judging by your raid progression, you barely have any (I count actually killing the final boss in a raid as having actually done the raid).

So you are going to stop complaining and listen- otherwise no one is going to want to help you. I raid and tank heal 10mans with this one so you are either going to listen, or just let this post die.

My advice is: fix your spec/glyphs/stop reforging crit, read what people have told you, and tell your guild to learn how to read a healing meter. Because healing meters aren’t dps meters. You have 2 pallies healing with you, which means they have absorbs going out; which in turn means your healing is going to be a little lower (be glad you don’t have a disc AND a holy pally in your group; I had that once in LFR- I wasn’t happy).

/Mom-mode off

(This is going to be a 3 part post. It’s kind of long).

First off: your stats. Yes, they are completely all over the place. From most important stat to least:

Int>spirit to comfort>haste to first breakpoint (916)>mastery>haste to second breakpoint>crit

If you feel you need the crit, spec into Acuity.

Your spec: I’m going to be honest, it’s horrible.

There is zero reason to have those points in Nature’s Guardian. Zero. Nature’s swiftness is a very powerful cooldown to have. I raid and tank heal myself and I use it consistently. I have NS bound to my healing rain (along with my herbalism bonus- my rain creates flowers). If I have to throw out another type of heal, I hit the button, cancel the HR thingie, and throw out a free GH. No reason not to take the talent.

On the point of Telluric Currents: USE EVERY TOOL AVAILABLE TO YOU. This is coming from someone who saw it as a pointless mechanic herself. It gives you mana back- what is so hard to grasp with that. You do not need hit gear for this to work. The point of the talent isn’t to dps; the point of the talent is to get mana back. It’s a throughput talent:

1. Use it on add phases (slime phases on Yor for instance- you run off with the dps during the downtime, throw out some LB’s to get some mana back/help down the slime faster, you should be good to go for the next damage phase). You weren’t doing anything during that downtime anyways.

2. There are periods of time in which only the tanks are being hit. Good time to throw out an LB to get some mana back. Combined with MTT, it’s very powerful.

So drop two points in it. It doesn’t hurt to have and your mana issues will be virtually non-existent after that. You should not be having mana issues with 3K spirit; if you are, you are doing something wrong.

On the Earth shield glyph: Drop your water shield glyph, as I said, with 3K spirit there is no reason for you to be going OOM. Even while raid healing, I always keep ES on the tank.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Now, onto your real issue: raid healing 10 mans.

First off, you have 2 holy pallies in your group; that means one of them should be assisting with raid healing. I normally run, me, a holy priest, and either another shammy/resto druid. Resto druids have some odd mechanics (they used to drive me up a wall during FL because of this). Holy pallies do throw out absorbs. I found out something odd one LFR- absorbs can skew healing numbers for other classes. I pretty much don’t even bother reading my healing meters (unless it’s Ultraxion because it’s a cheat fight and that’s the one time I like to brag). It looks to be that both of your holy pallies both have their 4 set tier 13 also. (Ok, I cheated a little and looked them up). Four set bonus on holy pallies is still OP.

The way I heal depends on what fight we are doing/what role I’m on. Some fights I’m a tank heals (ping pong boss), other fights I’m raid heals. My raid group adjusts on a fight per fight basis according to strong/weak points.

When I do raid heals, I generally stick to: ES is always on my tank, RT+HW/GHW (damage dependent) whoever is taking damage. If 5 people are taking damage and won’t benefit from an HR and are close enough for it to be effective, I chain heal.

Morchok: I typically don’t move at all this fight so I do both tank healing and raid healing on this one. ES tank, I generally throw out an HR when stomp goes out, HW/GHW that tank. RT, HW the people that get to go play with the red thing.

Captain PingPong: I tank heal this fight (usually off to the side). SLT/HR on first stack phase. Throw down MTT/LB (if I can) when I’m at half mana. You can LB each non-stacking phase before the ping pong ball comes out. We normally have one person assigned for dispelling. However, if I get it, I dispel myself. ES tank.

Slime boss: Kind of an odd fight. I raid/tank heal this fight, throw down SLT/HR on certain phases, LB slimes on non-damage phases, use MTT when the mana ball comes out. ES tank that’s taking damage.

On the cheat fight (Ultraxion), I stick to ES tank, HR/CH and throw out LB’s when there’s not a ton of damage going out. Typically our group can stack up on that fight (excluding melee/tanks). I normally take the blue buff.

Lootship: So much going on this fight. RT, GHW people that need it. First stack phase, toss down SLT/insta HR. LB when you can. ES always on a tank.

On spine, things can get a little weird for me. I found out HR and RT do count towards the healing, but I also use HW.

Deathwing: HR on stack phases. ES tank. RT, HW/GHW when people take some damage (cause it does happen), help tank heal. Throw out LB’s when your HR’s are down (you can MTT I think for two platforms…use LB in conjunction with this). I also make use of stone claw totem on certain platforms. You want that glyph.

Please note: You are not going to want to spam chain heal/HR. Part of why I have HR and Natures swiftness bound together anymore is for the stomp phases on Morchok.. Makes things less mana intensive. Notice a trend here? ES is always on the tank. Go back to using that glyph. CH doesn’t get used very often unless 5 people are taking damage. There’s only maybe a few fights in which CH actually gets used.
Edited by Jujubiju on 4/3/2012 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Onto your gear: You really need to try and get the rest of your 4 piece and replace your trinkets. Me, personally, I’m still using my alchemy trinket. I like having the reforgeable stats, the 4 hours flasks, and the extra oomth from my pots of concentration (as I said, I never go OOM).

Your UI: honestly, that wouldn’t work for me at all. I don’t know if that would work for a lot of people. First of all, there’s just way too many buttons on your screen- and they are super huge. Now, I’m half blind myself at times, but I don’t need my buttons THAT big.

This is what my screen looks like: http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/taheen74/jujuui2.jpg

There’s not a ton of clutter, I can see everything that’s going on around me, and I can still react quickly. In my opinion, your UI doesn’t allow for that. I also make lots of use of modifier keys. My MTT and my SLT are bound to the same button, however, to different modifiers (number key for the MTT, shift+number key for SLT). My calls, movement based abilities, heck even Rocky and Bullwinkle (Fire and earth elementals), are all on modifier keys. My non-combat related stuff: food, etc are as far away from my combat stuff as possible. I don’t even have a totem bar on my screen.

I use coolline to track my short cool downs and I have power auras setup to watch certain buffs/long cool downs. Now, I’m not sure if you can peruse my screenshots or not, but I’ve spent a long time finding something that works best for me. As I said, my UI let’s me watch everything that’s happening whereas yours seems to draw your attention to you bars. Your recount, either get rid of it, or put it somewhere that isn’t in your direct line of vision. There is no reason for you to be staring at it in combat.

Macros I use to condense real estate on my layout:

Alt modifier macro (input the spells/totems/calls yourself):

#showtooltip
/cast [nomod]
/cast [mod:shift]
/cast [mod:ctrl]
/cast [mod:alt]

LB macro: I use Vuhdo. With this macro, I can press the button I have it assigned to and cast LB on my healing targets target.

#showtooltip Lightning Bolt
/castsequence [@mouseovertarget, harm] [@mouseover, harm] [@targettarget, harm] [harm] Lightning Bolt

My nature’s swiftness/healing rain macro:
#showtooltip Nature's Swiftness
/cast Nature's Swiftness
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear(); UIErrorsFrame:Show()
/cast Lifeblood
/cast Healing Rain

Gives me a small haste boost, makes my HR insta cast, also makes it sprout flowers. I originally made this one during tier 11 when one of my old guildies was running on a stick figure comp. There, I’m done. I just spent an hour typing this out in word format to help you out (though I‘m thinking maybe I should add the raid stuff to my pocket guide post). Now, I pretty much gave you all the info you wanted. Whatever you do with it, is up to you. There is no actual guide on HOW to raid heal (I wrote one a while back on how to heroic heal though- same basic principles); there are guides on how to gem, spec, etc. You did come here asking for advice and when people link their armory that means they want people to look at their gear/gems etc.

Also, if you look at the top of this forum page, you would have seen there are stickies. One of which was made by Secretgarden. Go read it.
Edited by Jujubiju on 4/3/2012 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
04/02/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Gläwäsh

04/02/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Gläwäsh

I got this sneaking suspision that this kid is a troll...
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
04/03/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Polaski

Thus my three page rant.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Lol, this troll gets more attetion then someone who acutally cares about the class and wants to play it.
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Shaman
If mana is your problem then you're healing too early and too often. This is where our mastery kicks in. The lower your target is on health, the better off mastery becomes as a stat. Learn to anticipate damage and gauge when to heal. Your healing wave should be mana neutral or at your gear levels very mana positive, if you need to spam then use that. Save GHW for people at LEAST under 70-80%.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
04/03/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Jujubiju
you came here looking for advice

Yes I did, and thus far (as I am typing this) everything I have been told I have tried in the past.

At this point you are either, trolling, ignorant, or being stubborn. I'm going to vote for the later. Judging by your raid progression, you barely have any (I count actually killing the final boss in a raid as having actually done the raid).

Probably, just me being stubborn, but at least I am trying to find help to figure out what is wrong with my HPS. And no, I do not barely have any. I am 7/8... we (as a guild, with me in it) have only been raiding for about? Three months now.... would have to check on that again.

So you are going to stop complaining and listen

I do not complain, I give reasons why things I have tried before in the past do not work for me. Simple - how would you like it if someone told you OVER and OVER to try something you have already tried and know that it dosent work for you?

fix your spec/glyphs/stop reforging crit

Yes the spec was way off, I am not sure why some talents I had where even in there. It has been fixed, and so has my forging. - I got my Haste as close as I could to 1296 with going over as little as possible.

You have 2 pallies healing with you, which means they have absorbs going out; which in turn means your healing is going to be a little lower

If someone could please explain this a little more that would would be great, lol. If I could actually get a reasoning behind this (math or machanic's wise) would make a bit more sense - rather then me just telling my guild "hey someone on the forums said ...." - would also like to know for my personal reference.
Edited by Gläwäsh on 4/4/2012 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
No reason not to take the talent

I had this talent since it came out for about a month or two, never used it. There is my reason.
I cast healing rain more often then that spell comes off cooldown, and I do not cast GWH enough to make me feel like it is needed. With that being said, I could, however, find it being useful in a macro with chain heal - considering I now only use that when my grid lights up on three people. Thank You
It gives you mana back- what is so hard to grasp with that

Not hard to grasp what it does, my point still stands. If I have mana to cast that vs a healing spell, I will be healing. Of all the fights in DS I can think of ONE where I have the time to stop healing and dps - and in this situation I am never OOM during that phase anyway.

04/03/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Jujubiju
It looks to be that both of your holy pallies both have their 4 set tier 13 also

Really dumb question, but I do not remember putting their names anywhere. How did you find out who I raid with? Lol, only way I can think of would be to look at the guild list and make an assumption - and considering one of the Palies are not in the guild, I find that hard.

04/03/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Jujubiju
You really need to try and get the rest of your 4 piece and replace your trinkets

I run LFR on a weekly basis, and we raid 10 man on a weekly basis - I have what I have, I know what I need. Wether or not I get it is up to the rolls, lol.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
Your UI: honestly, that wouldn’t work for me at all.

Now, I’m half blind myself at times, but I don’t need my buttons THAT big.

My UI is honestly always changing - I have yet (for the course of the 7 years I have been playing this game) had a UI that I 100% loved and stayed with for longer then four months. Hell, my UI right now is changed compare to the one I linked....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd47/Deadhuntr/WoW/WoWScrnShot_040412_093202.jpg

lots of use of modifier keys

Again, this is something I have tried in the past, and it confused the hell out of me. So I got clique - did the work for me, lol. As it stands right now I have 9 of my main spells bound to keys.

One of which was made by Secretgarden. Go read it.

I have, twice actually, thank you for the tips & suggestions.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
04/03/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Polaski

1) I am not a kid.
2) I am not a troll!! I am an Orc!! ~_~

On a side note I am honestly not sure why people here are considing this trolling, I am asking for advice and I am giving my reasons as to why or why I do not do something. How is this trolling? This is a topic on a forum looking for actual advice, some of which - as I have just made clear - I have taken up. Others of which I have tried in the past and they do not work for me.

Just because it works for YOU does not mean it will work for OTHERS.

Thanks!!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I haven't raid healed in 10m in a while. My guild does 25m. I would recommend the following.

1) Keep earth shield up on tanks, and riptide up on 3 people at all times.
2) Spamming chain lightning isn't going to give you high numbers, but use it when needed.
3) Plop down healing rain on cooldown if people are still taking damage. Heck, I throw it down anyways.
4) I use HW a lot to top people off, with a Healing Surge in there once in a while depending on how much damage people have.

Your stats are not terrible. I would suggest reforging crit to haste though. Your spirit is fine. You really don't have much more than I do. I find its a comfortable level, but everyone is different. Some run with less. If you are comfortable with how your stats are, that's perfectly fine. Haste and mastery depends on preference. Whether you want your heals to be faster, or hit harder. I would go with a bit more haste though, since we don't really need crit.

The only thing I would suggest about your spec is to get Telluric Currents.

I do not have TC do to the more I dps the less time I spend healing. If I have the mana to cast an LB I have the mana to heal. So again, I am confused on this statement.

There are times, on some fights, when there is no healing needed. I use TC all the freaking time. The conclusion is that when some healers are completely OOM, I have half mana or more, and I am able to heal when they are not. Trust me, I abuse that talent. There is no way I would EVER go without it, especially if you ever make it to heroic modes.

But after glancing at your comments from advice people have given you, it seems you are set in your ways. It baffles me that you are asking for help, yet you don't seem to want to take anyone's advice. i think I am finished here.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Want a mastery build? Haste -> 916 and stack mastery. No questions asked.

Want a haste build? Haste -> 2005 and stack mastery. No questions asked.

Want a mastery AND haste build? -> Reforge out of spirit. No questions asked.Now the spec is something that can be varied depending on fights and play style. Most people question me on my build but I have seen a few other shamans do it as well and I guess it works for me.

Why don't you feel the need for GHW? It is one of the most powerful single target spells in the game. Someone stated earlier that in 10man spamming chain heal isn't the best thing to do and I would have to agree. Unless you know it's going to hit about 3 people, don't bother with it. You will get more out of using your direct heals especially with mastery in effect.

Healing Rain when you know about 5 people are in the area if you are having some serious mana issues. I personally just use it off cooldown since mana managing is easy. It is a great spell for a fight like spine or any other stacking phases. Keep riptide rolling on targets. If you know someone is about to get hit, just unleash elements and start pre-casting a GHW and as the target gets hit you heal him almost instantly. This takes practice.

As for Healing Surge, I probably use that only when I know that 0.1 or 0.2 second cast time different between Surge and GHW (with tidal waves up) can be the difference between life and death.I'm not a fan of glyphing Earth Shield either unless you were purely responsible for tanks or something, but even then...

I would go into further detail and sit here explaining everything but I will get late for class X_X.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
04/04/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Khaiman
Want a mastery build? Haste -> 916 and stack mastery. No questions asked

I was doing this up until I was told my HPS needed to be picked up, which is when I started questioning my gear/spec/"rotation"

Why don't you feel the need for GHW

Never said I didnt, it's just not my "main" spell. I use it from time to time when it is needed.

Unless you know it's going to hit about 3 people, don't bother with it

Yes this is something I was told and stopped doing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]