What's a good book to read?

90 Night Elf Druid
09/17/2012 11:31 PMPosted by Verelyse
It's one of the only series I've ever read whether I liked the specific book in question or not just because a character I wanted to follow was in them.

This.

Quite often I found the story itself would fall a little flat, or the ending was incredibly disappointing (especially when compared to The Relic) but I kept on reading them for Pendergast. Glad I'm not the only one. lol
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Priest
Robin Hobb's Assassins Apprentice.

the first book in two trilogies. The Live Ship Traders takes place between the two trilogies and briefly encounters characters from the first trilogy.

Confused yet?

Edit: Let me add Melanie Rawn's "The Dragon Prince." The first in a set of two trilogies that are fantastic.

Also look into "The Dragon Wing" the first of a 7 book series "The Death Gate Cycle" A good read also.
Edited by Oswell on 9/20/2012 12:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Physics by Paul Tipler.

Just kidding, all copies of that book should be sent to the sun.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Timeline - Michael Crichton

The Jester - James Patterson/Andrew Gross

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series - Douglas Adams

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding

I could go on and on... these are just some of my favorites. Enjoy :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Game of Thrones, The Prince of Nothing, The Name of the Wind, The First Law, all great reads
Reply Quote
70 Human Rogue
Just got done reading City of Thieves. If you like WW2 stuff you will really enjoy it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dune (I cannot stress this book enough)

The Foundation Trilogy

The Count of Monte Cristo

Anything by Brandon Sanderson

The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett (Book 3 just came out, so expect it to go on for awhile)
Edited by Eisenhorne on 4/9/2013 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

The Foundation Trilogy

The Count of Monte Cristo

Anything by Brandon Sanderson

The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett (Book 3 just came out, so expect it to go on for awhile)

Dune must be read with a character map!

lol Nah, it's a great book. But it's complexity can be intimidating.

Keep a note of your characters and their relations and it's much easier to chew.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue

We are now friends.

After you read Dune, you owe it to yourself to keep reading the series atleast up to God Emperor of Dune.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
After you read Dune, you owe it to yourself to keep reading the series atleast up to God Emperor of Dune.

God Emperor of Dune is by far the most important book in the series after Dune. Unfortunately, it is also the most difficult for people to whom I recommend the series to get through. =/
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
After you read Dune, you owe it to yourself to keep reading the series atleast up to God Emperor of Dune

I absolutely adored God Emperor, but afterwards I couldn't bring myself to finish Heretics of Dune
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
I absolutely adored God Emperor, but afterwards I couldn't bring myself to finish Heretics of Dune

Understandable. While not bad, Heretics and Chapterhouse kind of feel like bland sci-fi compared to what he achieved in God Emperor and the build up to it.
Reply Quote
Since you're a WoW player...try these...

http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/wow-insiders-chronological-guide-to-warcraft-novels-manga-com/
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The Millennium Series, by Stieg Larsson, or as you may have heard of the first book, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and its' sequels. If you aren't familiar with swedish, some of the places and their names may be a little hard to follow, but i was thoroughly engrossed through and through.
EDIT: I almost forgot, if you aren't too thrilled by the idea of reading them, you could always watch the trilogy's movie adaptations on Netflix. They're in Swedish, but subtitled in english.
Edited by Aelytah on 5/1/2013 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
89 Gnome Priest
Abarat.
Reply Quote
The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony is really good.

The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher, also recommended

I loved the first book the in Dune series by Frank Herbert and I did try reading the rest but it got progressively harder to get into and through each book. I'm not sure why because I do like the overall world.

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle...read it....seriously it's one of the best fantasy books ever.

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander my favorite series ever.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Paladin
Gravity's Rainbow
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Not sure if it's been mentioned but the Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) is one of my favorite fantasy series. Worth a read.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Theft of Swords, Vol. 1(Riyria Revelations) and the other books.

A great read. Takes a lot to make me throw up my arms and go "YES" to plot twists.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]