Bioware statement on Mass Effect ending.

90 Draenei Shaman
...and...there it is.

Extended cut DLC ending this summer. Free, for the cheap-asses out there (you know who you are).

At first blush, it looks to be a Fallout-style epilogue montage with some cinematic action. I'm getting a Xenosaga vibe now. Just make the anime movie and get it over with!

On the tinfoil hat front, it doesn't seem either Mark Meer or Jennfier Hale were contacted for more VA work, but apparently Lance Henrikson was. That's all intarwebz roomerz so you can take that for what it's worth.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Bioware forums are a mess right now. The QQ !@#$storm is in full swing.

Wow...and I though Wow forums were bad.

Here's the best part...

Bioware has sucessfully united the BSN forums against a single cause, never in history has this happened before.

I'm ignore the 1% who actually LIKE the ending.
Reply Quote
29 Human Warrior
http://blog.bioware.com/2012/04/05/mass-effect-3-extended-cut/?

They aren't even changing the endings, they are just showing more epilogue scenes....

Welp, I'm done with EA, thanks for the memories.

Edit: Really looking forward to seeing them find Shepard's broken body and then mankind resorting to cannibalism while Joker and EDI have cyborg babies. /sarcasm off
Edited by Rza on 4/5/2012 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Warrior
Elective mode allows you to pick whatever you want. I'm not in beta, but I have to wonder if you are either.

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/35912-diablo-3-beta-elective-mode/
that is not at all like diablo 2

but thanks for pretending you can have an opinion on something you have not even tried

I haven't played ME3. After ME2, I honestly lost interest in it entirely; all I can remember from ME2 is, "REAPERS! REAPERS! Flying around to stop reapers! Have sex with one of your henchmen! REAPERS REAPERS REAPERS! We killed a REAPER! They're still coming! I have to stop the REAPERS!!! . . In the next installment for $60 and a repeat of REAPERS!!!!"

you do realize that mass effect is about the reapers and stopping them from killing everyone, right?
Sure do, but still, 3 games of JUST that can get a bit redundant IMHO. Be like if we fought Lich King for 3 expansions. My attention span isn't long enough for that to remain entertaining.
Edited by Mcthugin on 4/5/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
DoD
God I'd hate to be on the mass effect 3 panel at PAX tomorrow. But honestly bargin bin sci fi anthologies contain much better writing than whatever that was in 3 so they got it coming.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
04/05/2012 02:38 AMPosted by Derpkingas
It's pretty obvious the diablo 2 is different from this. I shouldn't need to explain it to you. Unless you haven't played Diablo 2 either, which would make sense.

It's pretty obvious you're hiding behind "I know more than you and shouldn't have to explain myself." Maybe finish some thoughts first and you wouldn't have to be explaining them.

A barbarian in Diablo 3 has access to 22 active abilities. A barbarian in Diablo 2 has access to 19 active abilities. They both require you hit 30 before you have access to all of them.
Reply Quote
The update on the ME3 ending is pretty saddening. I figure they'll just throw together a fallout-esque ending that's basically a clip-show explaining how things ended up and not address how truly horrendous their ending was.

Dragon Age 2 was the first red flag, ME3's ending was the 2nd, and this "fix" is the final one. The Bioware that made ME1, Dragon Age 1, and KotOR is dead and gone and I don't like what's in its place.

Oh and for those who keep calling those protesting Bioware and EA "entitled", what exactly are you advocating? That players are powerless and they should just shut up and take what the mighty game developers give them or that they shouldn't try to let their favorite companies have a chance to fix what's wrong to retain their business?
Edited by Kudger on 4/5/2012 3:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
74 Undead Mage
I believe it's appropriate to actually wait and see how good the DLC will be before going on a whiny crusade.

Be glad they're actually doing something about their crappy ending, unlike Blizzard.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm serious. It's obvious you've never played diablo 2 or diablo 3, so I don't know why you're arguing. Go play one of them, come back and then apologize for being stupid.

Also, no matter how many abilities they had in Diablo 2 they still had the option to level up those skills, which you would know if you played Diablo 2.

Diablo 2 is one of the most successful PC games of all time. I have two copies I'm looking at right now. I really hope you weren't just relying on thinking I'd never played it.

But seriously? Your argument is terrible. It strongly suggests that what makes "real RPGs" for you is a lot of artificial choices that don't really make a huge difference on how things work. That in the long run, it's better to have a lot of superficial points to spend that alter coefficients alone than it is to have fewer choices that actually alter how your abilities work.

Let's compare two similar abilities that exist in both games:

Bash. In Diablo 2: Powerful Blow that increases the damage done to enemies and knocks them back. In terms of mechanical abilities the first point adds +1 damage, +50% damage modifier, and +20% attack rating. It costs 2 mana. The second point adds an additional base damage, another +5% damage modifier, another +5% attack rating, and still costs 2 mana. Every additional point adds the same as the second point.

In Diablo 3: Brutally Smash an enemy for 150% weapon damage with 20% chance to knockback. It also generates 6 Fury. There aren't any points, but five runes: one changes the knockback chance to a stun, two adds two weaker strikes to the effect while removing the knockback, three adds a stacking damage buff for 5 seconds, four doubles the fury generation, and six adds an aoe shockwave.

Honestly just adding generators and abilities that spend those points creates a deeper game. Using Bash in Diablo 2 is just an attack. Using it in three enables other abilities through fury generation.

In comparison Diablo 2 offers things like synergies. So I can invest points into abilities I might never use because they add passive scaling to abilities I do! Or not. Since they're entirely percentage modifiers it often comes down to pure math as to whether it's worth investing in a skill for any reason other than unlocking a succeeding skill, especially since many Diablo 2 abilities are basically replaced outright by later ones.

So rather than deciding on your abilities because you want to use them, many of your choices come down to "I'm putting points in X ability because it makes Y ability stronger, not that I'm ever going to use X ability again once I have Y."

Your real choices in Diablo 2 comes down to what abilities you pick. Every point you spend after that is a matter of making the abilities you picked hit harder. You're still going to use them in the exact same way.

If I pick an ability in Diablo 3 due to it's relation with another ability, it's because it works well with that ability, not because investing points in that ability was a requirement to unlock it or having 20 hard points in it adds 40% damage.

Percentages are arbitrary. Having more percentage modifiers doesn't constitute more choices; they all amount to modifying the same values. The game is going to assume it's possible to have those values, often balancing around the assumption I'm taking them. More points =/= more choices.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
A rune is a larger choice than a percentage increase.

I'm not really sure why you can't see that. You're too hooked on points maybe. Some sort of feedback mechanic you require in order to enjoy RPGs. That doesn't make the things you like meaningful in the long run, but I understand the appeal I guess. They're still largely non-choices.

Picking skills in either game? That's a choice. Dumping a bunch of hard points to make your skill choices better? That's a given. Why wouldn't you want them? Not taking them would be a strictly inferior option.

You need to stop clinging to false choices simply because they let you push more buttons on character screens. It really doesn't make a gameplay difference if you do 100% weapon damage or 1000% weapon damage if they game is centered around a particular baseline. And when your modifiers are almost entirely easily mathed out percentage increases, that's exactly what they are. It's a placebo effect.
Edited by Vv on 4/6/2012 6:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
04/06/2012 12:07 AMPosted by Derpkingas
It strongly suggests that what makes "real RPGs" for you is a lot of artificial choices that don't really make a huge difference on how things work
But that is exactly right. RPG's are about strengthening your character through player input and choice in how you want to build your character. Diablo 2 had this. It let you choose how you wanted to build your character, which could have been improved even more in diablo 3 if blizzard didn't screw everything up. In diablo 3 everything is a conveyer belt where you get everything while you level up. And no, don't mention runes. The changes you get from those are so trivial they literally do not matter. There are other reasons why Diablo 2 was a better RPG, like being able to spend stat points instead of just getting them spent for you as you level up.

You being unable to understand this is why RPG's suck now, and why Diablo 3 is going to suck.

Role-playing game =/= Power game.

A true role-play game would be something like Baldur's gate, The Elder Scrolls series, etc. Where you actually PLAY the role and you're not really forced to do anything. The elder scrolls is a prime example for this, because you can avoid the entire main quest if you wanted and just kill innocent villagers.

Diablo is a Gauntlet based game. Saying that a %1 increase to Fireball is a RPG shows your lack of knowledge in ANYTHING RPG.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
04/06/2012 08:42 AMPosted by Derpkingas
A true role-play game would be something like Baldur's gate, The Elder Scrolls series, etc. Where you actually PLAY the role and you're not really forced to do anything.
So you're saying that World of Warcraft is not an RPG? or Chrono Trigger? ANY of the final fantasy games?
I'm not really sure why you can't see that. You're too hooked on points maybe. Some sort of feedback mechanic you require in order to enjoy RPGs. That doesn't make the things you like meaningful in the long run, but I understand the appeal I guess. They're still largely non-choices.
RPG's are about choice. when a game takes away choice and instead unlocks everything for you, it is not good. you can't seem to understand this for some reason.

No idea what Chrono Trigger is...

And last I checked, you can play WoW however you want.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]