Attempt at Making a Book.

64 Night Elf Rogue
I am making an attempt at making a rough draft of a series of an epic quest. A hero who starts from the brink of the end of a world and at the end it is almost destroyed, but I have not yet even gotten close to an ending. There are races I want to implement. Orcs, Deep Elves, Dwarves, Humans, still thinking of more. I know anyone reading this wouldn't take it seriously but if one or two people reply with ideas, it will most likely start a chain reaction and cause others to give ideas. This could actually be a community project to creating a great story. But if not I can write it myself. I just need criticism on my lore ideas. I literally just started but here is what I have:

Ideas for Orcs:

Orcs were once demons forged in the fumes of shadow from the will of the Great Dark. After (name of world) was claimed by the new gods in a battle for supremacy and the Deep Legion was defeated, the remaining peoples of the demon race broke free of the Great Dark's will and started on, anew. Though the will is broken, the power of the Great Dark is gathering forces, it will do everything to destroy what they hold honorable.

Since I can't write script or code a game, I can create a great world of my imagination, and anyone here can too. I am not asking for anyone to, but I would greatly appreciate lore ideas. Thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
what do deep elves look like
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
03/24/2012 01:20 PMPosted by Zeino
Orcs were once demons forged in the fumes of shadow from the will of the Great Dark. After (name of world) was claimed by the new gods in a battle for supremacy and the Deep Legion was defeated, the remaining peoples of the demon race broke free of the Great Dark's will and started on, anew. Though the will is broken, the power of the Great Dark is gathering forces, it will do everything to destroy what they hold honorable.

Here's a few questions that may help you in the process of fleshing your story out:

What is "the Great Dark" and how does it apply to your story? What are it's motivations, goals, and means of accomplishing those goals?

What is the cultural identity of the Orcs? Are they individualistic, communal, tribal, war mongering, peace seeking, insular or accepting of other peoples? What does a typical orc aspire to be and to do? If there is in fact a typical orc?

What is a "demon?" What is a "new god?" How corporeal and involved with the world are they? How are they revered or feared? What stories do the other peoples tell about them?

What is "the Deep Legion?" How was it defeated? What held it together in the first place? What did/does it consist of?While it's easy to assume everything in fantasy looks and feels like a Tolkien or D&D variant, when it comes to writing it doesn't really do either your story or whatever you're deriving from justice to just say "An orc is a demon, a former member of the Deep Dark Scary Guy's Army."
Reply Quote
If you plan to incorporate orcs, dwarves, elves, etc., I recommend you really flesh them out and make them yours. Make them different. Make them unique. The standard fantasy races have been done to death, and no one needs more clones for the sake of having clones.

That being said, good luck! Writing is a very demanding yet rewarding experience. Dedicate yourself to this and you can only come out on top. Write every day - it doesn't matter how much. A sentence, a paragraph, a dozen pages, whatever. Keep a notebook with you to write down ideas when they pop into your head. Most of all be creative and write some real characters!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]