Target teammate with the lowest health

90 Human Priest
I have the tab key set to target the nearest teammate. Is there a way to make it target the teammate with the lowest health? That would be ideal for healers. Dragging the mouse all the way over to your teammate's raid frame takes way too much time when you have a lot of healing to do in a short time.

In addition, is there a way to make a key or combination of keys target the TANK with the lowest health?

For both of these, I should have a choice as to whether I want it to target teammates that are out of range, or whether I want it to only include teammates that are within range. I would select the former for raids, as it would automatically let me know if I'm standing in the wrong spot; I should stand where I can heal everyone. I would select the latter for battlegrounds, since my teammates will be all over the map, and I'll never be able to heal all of them at any given time.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
No, definitely not.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
No. That would fall under automation, which is a no-no.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Blizzard feels that any sort of functionality in the ui prioritizing the lowest health teammate in that kind of way is not their intention of the game. I say this because way back when healbot did something of that nature Blizz shut that capability down.
Reply Quote
8 Dwarf Priest
why not have tab cast the heal too?

/endsarcasm

they broke such functions long ago. you gotta play the game bro, sorry, not watch it unfold. use that noggin of yours. selecting the lowest health teammate, or deciding whether the lowest health actually needs healing before someone else, is part of the decision making process.

blizz wants YOU to make those decisions, not have them automated.

or so we can infer from the level of automation allowed to the playerbase.

if however you are talking about the interface slowing you down, i recommend mouseover macros. this way you can keep your pointer on what are usually compact raid frames and move the mouse to select healing targets much more quickly. mouseovers allow you to heal quickly when the mouse is hovering over the desired player, without having to click on them to target them, this eliminates the need for a physical action (clicking to select a player) and speeds up the healing process.

an example is

#showtooltip Flash Heal
/cast [combat] Random Trinket Name
/cast [@mouseover, help] Flash Heal; [@mouseover, harm] Smite
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
03/29/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Fatherhealz
Dragging the mouse all the way over to your teammate's raid frame takes way too much time when you have a lot of healing to do in a short time.

oh no, having to drag the mouse all the way, a whole 2 inches across the screen. Oh, the humanity!

But no, that's considered automation.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
make your raid frames smaller? less movement. if youre doing 25s on the blizz raid frames yes it gets quite extensive on size. but asking the game to make all the choices for you is plain lazy.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
And yet Blizzard allows you to know the remaining cooldown of your opponent's trinket? And the exact number of seconds until a boss is about to perform a certain attack or enter a new phase? I'm amazed. They already allow us to target the nearest player with a single button. Why not the player with the lowest health? I'm not asking them to heal the target for me. I'm not even asking them to target it for me. I still have to see that someone needs a heal, and I still have to select them. I just don't want to sacrifice movement in order to target a certain teammate. I may have to move one direction while looking another (so I can see what's going on and avoid stepping in fire, etc.). I need to hold right-click to move in this fashion. Basically I need to strafe. But it's impossible to target specific players at the same time. I basically have to run blindly and awkwardly while the enemy and incoming hazards are beyond my sight, while pointing and clicking on targets like a fool.

If I must select targets by pointing and clicking, and I therefore must sacrifice vision and mobility while healing, then I should at least be able to cast a healing spell with any button while my mouse pointer floats over a raid frame, which the game does not allow. I still haven't found a solution to that problem yet. While my mouse hovers over a raid frame, I cannot use mouse 4 or mouse 5 to cast a healing spell. I'm going to try the Clique addon to see if that fixes this problem, but I haven't gotten my hopes up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Trust me, I'm usually the first person to denounce automation in gaming. I want to play the game rather than having the game play itself. But moving the mouse all over the screen just isn't a compelling gameplay experience. I enjoy healing overall, but I'd like to be able to do more with my keyboard and less with my mouse.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
And yet Blizzard allows you to know the remaining cooldown of your opponent's trinket? And the exact number of seconds until a boss is about to perform a certain attack or enter a new phase? I'm amazed. They already allow us to target the nearest player with a single button. Why not the player with the lowest health? I'm not asking them to heal the target for me. I'm not even asking them to target it for me. I still have to see that someone needs a heal, and I still have to select them. I just don't want to sacrifice movement in order to target a certain teammate. I may have to move one direction while looking another (so I can see what's going on and avoid stepping in fire, etc.). I need to hold right-click to move in this fashion. Basically I need to strafe. But it's impossible to target specific players at the same time. I basically have to run blindly and awkwardly while the enemy and incoming hazards are beyond my sight, while pointing and clicking on targets like a fool.

If I must select targets by pointing and clicking, and I therefore must sacrifice vision and mobility while healing, then I should at least be able to cast a healing spell with any button while my mouse pointer floats over a raid frame, which the game does not allow. I still haven't found a solution to that problem yet. While my mouse hovers over a raid frame, I cannot use mouse 4 or mouse 5 to cast a healing spell. I'm going to try the Clique addon to see if that fixes this problem, but I haven't gotten my hopes up.

Clique is exactly the addon that allows that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/29/2012 01:01 PMPosted by Fatherhealz
And yet Blizzard allows you to know the remaining cooldown of your opponent's trinket? And the exact number of seconds until a boss is about to perform a certain attack or enter a new phase? I'm amazed.

You're allowed to know pretty much any combat-relevant information. Knowing isn't doing.

Clique will do this perfectly.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
then I should at least be able to cast a healing spell with any button while my mouse pointer floats over a raid frame, which the game does not allow

Incorrect. It is called a mouseover macro.

/cast [@mouseover] Heal

There are addons that do this as well, as people have already pointed out.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Just get healbot or something...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
And yet Blizzard allows you to know the remaining cooldown of your opponent's trinket? And the exact number of seconds until a boss is about to perform a certain attack or enter a new phase? I'm amazed. They already allow us to target the nearest player with a single button. Why not the player with the lowest health?

There's a difference between addons providing information and asking for the game to select a target for you.
Reply Quote
14 Gnome Mage
If selecting targets feels like it takes prohibitively long, consider using mouseover macros and increasing the sensitivity on your mouse.

03/29/2012 02:21 PMPosted by Mint
There's a difference between addons providing information and asking for the game to select a target for you.
The distinction is made exactly when the game would be making a combat-sensitive decision for you. Giving you information about cooldowns still asks you to interpret that info and make the decision yourself, just like displaying all health values of your group does. Selecting a target based on that health for you is a combat sensitive decision.
Edited by Mouthwash on 3/29/2012 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm not asking them to heal the target for me. I'm not even asking them to target it for me.

You may not be asking them outright to heal the target for you, but you're asking them to do everything but.

And yes, you're asking them to target the player for you. That's exactly what you're asking, word for word.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
You can hotkey targets, like how default keys hotkeys yourself as F1, 2nd party member F2... and so on.

I've actually seen someone be super pro at that method. Only problem is it requires such an incredible amount of memorization and just a really different way of thinking.

I did that for the longest time in 5 mans when I wanted to eat or something and needed to play with 1 hand, haha (only lame thing was with default keys it didn't target pets, pssh.. or if it did I didn't know about it ;D).
Edited by Gamedin on 3/30/2012 12:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Goblin Shaman
03/29/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Obliquatur
then I should at least be able to cast a healing spell with any button while my mouse pointer floats over a raid frame, which the game does not allow

Incorrect. It is called a mouseover macro.

/cast [@mouseover] Heal

There are addons that do this as well, as people have already pointed out.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

Like /assist for DPS?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
You still have to select the DPS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]