Tariy explains healing in Mists of Pandaria

100 Tauren Shaman
There seems to be many threads suggesting "triage" never existed or those whom don't know what it means. There seems to be many threads with those whom are unsure of how healing will be in Mists of Pandaria. I'll explain below to the best of my capabilities with current public available knowledge.

• Triage is about using the appropriate ability for the incoming amount of damage to ensure your mana sustains the encounter instead of running out and the group or raid wiping.

• Intellect is too powerful. It's going to become as useful as spirit now, giving the players the choice to choose between quick, consistent healing(haste, spirit) or slow but powerful healing(intellect, mastery). At the moment all healers are bound to intellect, it is superior.

• Intellect no longer increasing maximum mana means mana recovery of classes whose mana recovery is based off of total mana pools doesn't become over-powered versus classes such as restoration shaman or holy priests that rely on spirit for mana recovery.

• Intellect no longer increasing maximum mana means healers have all the mana they ever need at whatever level they are. Imagine having 100k in mana at level 85 because you got +400% of your base mana for choosing your healing specialization at level 85. Don't forget, intellect, spirit, haste, mastery and crit will be weaker when you first level to 90. Thought process of when to use Riptide, Healing Rain, Chain Heal, Healing Wave, Healing Surge or Greater Healing Wave will still be a necessity.

• Stats always increase with equipment, it is part of character progression. With stat increases comes stronger healers that now can use inappropriate abilities for the incoming amount of damage without worrying of mana. This happens at the end of expansions. This is inevitable.

• (!) Let's not forget! In the raiding environments, healers and damage per second can relieve the stress occurring on other healers mana pools with abilities such as Mana Tide totem or feral druid's Innervate. When this occurs, healers can now use inappropriate abilities again before running out and having the process repeated. Now lets add this to the end of an expansion with over-powered healers as explained above.

They can now use more inappropriate abilities for the amount of incoming damage with really no worries of running out of mana. When healers no longer run out of mana, new encounters must be in place to quickly take down player health and attempt to stress healers, providing a challenge, a potential wipe for the group or raid. Thus, we seem to return to wrath style of faster paced healing.

There's also other things to take into consideration such as the encounter mechanics themselves!

Happy to help.
    (...) As a restoration shaman, restoration druid, discipline priest and holy paladin that participates in the PvP and PvE environments through battlegrounds, arena, dungeon finder and raid finder systems, I'm rather optimistic about Mists of Pandaria from thus far of what I've seen and heard from World of Warcraft developers.

[Additional content]

• Dispel Magic, Cure Disease, Cleanse, Cleanse Spirit and Remove Corruption are supposed to be meaningful! Defensive dispells now have a 8 second cool down and remove all harmful effects instead of one or a mere couple. Depending on the amount of harmful effects, this may be a increase in healer power.

• Interruptions are supposed to be meaningful! Classes now have a minimum of a 15 second cool down interruption ability, 12 seconds for shaman, 20 seconds for hunters. Thus, healers are interrupted less in the PvP environments. Slower abilities such as Greater Heal or Healing Touch will be more usable.

• All players now receive +30% damage reduction against other players at all times, giving healers more survivability when they enter into battle with no PvP equipment.

• [Baseline Mana?]

• To prevent over poweredness of classes that can heal and use mana as a damage resource such as enhancement shaman, baseline mana has been set to 20,000 for shaman, druid and paladin. This means they will not be able to heal as much as healing specializations in their damage specializations. Healing shaman, druid and paladin then receive +400% of their mana, placing their total mana pools to 100,000 at level 85.

• Priests use mana for all 3 specs and thus receive 100,000 mana as baseline mana. A ability that costs 7% base mana would be 7,000 mana points. Priests use lower percentages for ability mana costs to retain the same costs as other healers.

• Elemental shaman also receive 20,000 base mana, increased by 400% for a total of 100,000 mana points. Elemental shaman have always been able to heal more than a enhancement shaman, but not as much as a restoration shaman. Shadow priests are the same way. Much remains the same!
  • Reply Quote
    90 Troll Shaman

[li]Intellect no longer increasing maximum mana means healers have all the mana they ever need at whatever level they are. Imagine having 100k in mana at level 85 because you got +400% of your base mana for choosing your healing specialization at level 85.

This REALLY pisses me off, has this game become so damn liberal that all healers and dps will have the same sized mana pool? If int's not changing our mana pool anymore and they're not adding any new stats, what's going to provide a larger pool?

I understand that this is going to focus sustainability on spirit, but don't you like being able to get a rough idea of someones gear just by looking at the mana pool? Is this really a change for good, or another one of Blizz's "Let's F with the system to make things interesting again"? Yes, different healers had different mana pool sizes. This made things more interesting. We knew that although the disc priest had such a huge pool, they didn't get as much spirit regen as a shaman. Although at the high end of gear their regen substitute (rapture) made them a little mana OP, it's kinda nice having classes with unique playstyles and mechanics.

I've got to go into a rant now.
    Guess what, Shamans are going to have an option to pickup the ability "healing tide totem" this expansion. Feral druids are finally getting their vanish button they've envied since vanilla. Pallies are getting sprint options. DKs are getting a lifegrip option. Just about every class will have a knockback ability available.

Really, it's slowly creeping to the point where the classes have no differences or restrictions.

I like being a shaman healer, sure I have my weak points. But hell, although I don't get a tranq and competitive heavy single target healing chews my mana faster than any other healer, I'm brought to every progression fight because I contribute deep healing, which makes me stupid OP when health gets low. And if there's a fight (Like H spine's coming up, my mastery isn't worth !@#$ there) I'm perfectly fine with sitting out for a better matched class. Shamans were weak %^-* in FL, barely any opportunity for aoe. In DS, we are a little OP. I know it. But every class has fights that favor them, and I may be favored now but hell, next raid I just might not be the perfect key most of the time. Look at holy priests. They have a really hard time in several 10m DS fights. But they're god in 25s.

Anyways, if we all had the same everything (and it's creeping to that point), it's going to come down to just playing/stacking the 3 classes that have been numerically proven better. The group will be mage dps, pally heals, DK tanks. And guess what, all of the other classes will be reduced to "buff classes", because no matter how hard blizz tries they'll never be able to balance things perfectly.

We all can't do everything. But that's what makes this game interesting. That's what makes group comp significant. That's what makes it worth having more than one toon.
    Edited by Razzil on 3/29/2012 1:20 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Shaman
    Let's keep this thread constructive. : )

This REALLY pisses me off, has this game become so damn liberal that all healers and dps will have the same sized mana pool? If int's not changing our mana pool anymore and they're not adding any new stats, what's going to provide a larger pool?

Levels.

I understand that this is going to focus sustainability on spirit, but don't you like being able to get a rough idea of someones gear just by looking at the mana pool?

It seems like the PvP argument about Transmogrification and how folks won't be able to tell who has PvE equipment so they can make them explode. Never-the-less, I don't see this as any problem what-so-ever to the game play experience.

Yes, different healers had different mana pool sizes. This made things more interesting. We knew that although the disc priest had such a huge pool, they didn't get as much spirit regen as a shaman. Although at the high end of gear their regen substitute (rapture) made them a little mana OP, it's kinda nice having classes with unique playstyles and mechanics.

Rapture still exists and will return mana points. All classes still have different abilities and ways of healing with many new, different and seemingly kick-butt additions in Mists of Pandaria.

Intellect currently increases mana pool, mana regeneration and spell power. Intellect only increases spell power in Mists of Pandaria. Intellect and spirit is then equal on the same levels. We'll get intellect and spirit naturally from equipment, but it's now up to the players to decide between quick, consistent healing(haste, spirit) or slow but powerful healing(intellect, mastery). Currently we choose Intellect for everything with hopefully some choices for other things.

Guess what, Shamans are going to have an option to pickup the ability "healing tide totem" this expansion. Feral druids are finally getting their vanish button they've envied since vanilla. Pallies are getting sprint options. DKs are getting a lifegrip option. Just about every class will have a knockback ability available.

I don't see another ability like Healing Tide Totem. Anyway, the abilities seem quite different. Earthgrab Totem will root everyone within 10 yards for 5 seconds every 2 seconds. Folks that are already rooted will be slowed by 50% before being rooted again.

The druid ability Mass Entanglement roots our target in place and spreads to 5 other nearby targets. That has its advantages just as Earthgrab Totem has its own.

Mists of Pandaria is not all doom and gloom many seem to want to see it as.

Edit to quote this as well.
    We all can't do everything. But that's what makes this game interesting. That's what makes group comp significant. That's what makes it worth having more than one toon.

I don't know, I'd rather someone bring me because I am me, not because I'm a restoration druid. I'd prefer bring the player and not the class. For those who don't even want alternative characters, this can be a brick wall of nonsense.
    Edited by Tariy on 3/29/2012 2:07 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    03/29/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Tariy
    I don't see another ability like Healing Tide Totem

Tranq and DH have the same effect. The difference is that HTT probably will not need to be channeled, which will have some interesting results.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    03/29/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Razzil
    I really think you're missing the point here. The classes with large mana pools had a greater bank, but less regen (druids Dpriests). The classes with smaller pools had greater regen. Same deal with different spell costs by class. Shaman spells cost a %^-*ton compared to priest spells. It balanced in a different and interesting fashion, almost mystical. When you equalize mana pools, yes these little regen components will still exist, but they're going to appear almost boring because they're probably going to get balanced, and sustainability is going to become incredibly binary looking when based entirely on spirit.

I'm sorry, did you just say druids and disc priests had less regen but a greater mana bank to compensate? Did you mean that as a serious statement, or did I miss a punchline here or something?
    Different is nice, interesting. Same is bad and boring.

And no, you can't give me that "you don't want regen equalized because you're regen OP", guess what, <---- shaman, arguably the most mana broken spec (without TC to carry it, but you can't heal heroic raids with TC).

I wasn't aware I couldn't heal heroic raids with TC. I hope that was a typo.

Difference is not always nice or interesting, unless you think it is absolutely fascinating that Affliction doesn't use Immolate (since it has a better spell that overwrites it) but the other Warlock specs do. Or think that Revitalize is just the awesomest, most engaging mechanic ever.
    Oh, look, a heavy multitarget medium duration auto heal on CD. Sounds a lot like tranquility. I really don't want a tranquility, because my current "Oh !@#$" functionality is a lot more interesting and original than that other thing that 3/5ths of the healing specs use. I don't want my emergency usefulness reduced to 1 button press. I like classes that take a lil more work than that, I'd be playing a pally heal if I didn't (HR FTW DERP).

Spirit Link Totem? You mean 10% damage reduction? That sounds like Barrier and situationally Aura Mastery. All it does is have HP redistribution, which isn't original or particularly interesting- it isn't even what the spell did back in WC3. As an "oh !@#$" button, it doesn't really do a whole lot except in very particular circumstances.
    Players like you are the reason this game is going to hell fast. "Brick wall of nonsense" You know how easy it is to 1-85 a toon and gear it these days? Blizzard is currently handing out lvl 80s for free!
    If you want to fill a niche, guess what, nothing's stopping you, just roll an alt and put in the effort like everyone else. Don't ask for this game to get dumbed down so you can be lazy.

I wasn't aware all my characters got boosted to level 80, or that playing a resto druid was the same as a holy priest which was identical to a resto shaman which can do the same thing as a disc priest who is really just a holy paladin in cloth.

Homogenizing doesn't automatically make something dumbed down either, not at all, even the slightest bit. Nor will static mana pools. Nor will bringing regen in line so we don't have this current gross imbalance of haves and have-nots.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    03/29/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Razzil

Your post got a little offtrack from your original statement.

I agree that it's puzzling that Blizzard is trying to fix a system that really isn't broken. It would make sense if they implemented the item squish at the same time-- it's all about trying to keep numbers small.

But they aren't, that's the problem for me.
    I can't imagine the stat inflation in MoP. Goodness gracious. So why is mana becoming a single level if not to keep numbers down? It's rather odd. It's like they're just giving us another loop to jump through. Ugh.

The thing that makes me uncomfortable is simply my class's regen. It's been subpar for... A long, long time. Now they're nerfing Telluric Currents, which is pretty much the bulk of shaman regen this tier. It's a bit unnerving to have it being swung at by the almighty nerf bat.
    Shaman mana regeneration is going to need a massive overhaul. What shaman depend on now is high mana pools and spellpower in order to maintain their mana levels. They don't seem to be doing much to change our regen so far, and our 90 talents are "iffy." The large majority of our spells are getting cost increases.

We're getting all of these wonderful new toys to play with in MoP, and I'm excited for them, but it'll be no fun if we don't have the mana to cast them. I'm trying to reserve judgement on the new system till I can see how it works for myself, but I'm finding it difficult to grasp. I'm eagerly awaiting more information to be released.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    03/29/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Kitsueie
    I wasn't aware I couldn't heal heroic raids with TC. I hope that was a typo.

I'm hoping it was a typo too o__O

To be honest, as long as my regen is OK in MoP, I'll be fine with whatever system they work out.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    It could be the plan they have for shamans is to make Intellect far more attractive as a regen stat through Telluric Currents than Spirit is. Which is... I don't think this has to be explained.

But I can't conceive of why you would make a core, intended part of a classes function a glyph, which makes me think there's something we just aren't seeing yet that Blizzard has in the works.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    It could be the plan they have for shamans is to make Intellect far more attractive as a regen stat through Telluric Currents than Spirit is. Which is... I don't think this has to be explained.

But I can't conceive of why you would make a core, intended part of a classes function a glyph, which makes me think there's something we just aren't seeing yet that Blizzard has in the works.

Which is why I worry!! Haha! They really need to bake TC into the spec more if they mean it to be a source of mana regeneration. If it isn't going to be mana-positive, if they aren't going to do more with it, axe the damned thing. Kill it. I want it gone. As long as we get something to compensate.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    I'm also concerned that with it as a glyph, retarded elemental shamans will take it for "LOL INFINITE MANA" since they won't read their talents to see they have Rolling Thunder.
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Shaman
    Alright now, you're trolling me.

No !@#$, what gave you the first clue that base mana increases with levels. We're talking endgame here, that's what this is about.

You had asked what increases mana pools, I responded. Again, let's try to be a little more constructive.

The classes with large mana pools had a greater bank, but less regen (druids Dpriests).

We all have "greater banks" because everyone stacks the beep out of intellect, it is superior. Revitalize and Rapture is over-powered because of this very reason versus holy priests and restoration shaman mana recoveries. Why was this over-powered? Because they healed to recover mana. Shaman actually have to stop healing and current mana pools render holy priest mana recovery capabilities weaker versus everyone else.

Restoration shaman are like blood death knights, we take a lot of damage to our mana but can regenerate that back and even more in a rather short period of time versus other healers thanks to Telluric Currents. While other healers may run out of mana, restoration shaman could still be healing.

With fixed mana pools, we can continue to be equal in the different ways that we are.

When you equalize mana pools, yes these little regen components will still exist, but they're going to appear almost boring because they're probably going to get balanced, and sustainability is going to become incredibly binary looking when based entirely on spirit.

How dare Blizzard Entertainment attempt balance. How dare they. I cannot believe this, my faith in humanity has reach its very near-end limits. Just kidding.

You seem to contradict yourself in every statement made with many filtered curse words. Intellect increases healing power, that means you heal less. Spirit increases your mana recovery, so you can heal more. We'll need to decide between these stats. Let's not leave out haste and mastery as well.
    Different is nice, interesting. Same is bad and boring.
    With this logic, a cow and a tauren is the same thing even though there's fundamental differences. I've already explained it with Mass Entanglement and Earthgrab Totem. Similar abilities that work differently and have their advantages and disadvantages. Isn't this what you seek?

Oh, look, a heavy multitarget medium duration auto heal on CD. Sounds a lot like tranquility.

Not exactly. You see, Tranquility is a channeled ability that also heals for an additional amount over time afterwards. Healing Tide Totem can be dropped beside a shaman as they continue to heal as well. Additionally, Healing Tide Totem costs much less mana at the moment and must be killed to interrupt its healing in the PvP environments.

I'm not sure how fundamentally different things can get. Anything less and we may just have exact copies of Healing Wave.

I don't want my emergency usefulness reduced to 1 button press. I like classes that take a lil more work than that, I'd be playing a pally heal if I didn't (HR FTW DERP).

Spirit Link Totem, Healing Tide Totem, Ascendance. Hm, am I missing something else?

Players like you are the reason this game is going to hell fast. "Brick wall of nonsense" You know how easy it is to 1-85 a toon and gear it these days? Blizzard is currently handing out lvl 80s for free!

That's revelant to our current conversation of class homogenization and mana recoveries... because? Something.

If you want to fill a niche, guess what, nothing's stopping you, just roll an alt and put in the effort like everyone else. Don't ask for this game to get dumbed down so you can be lazy.

If we don't fill a niche (ever little it is), then we're homogenized. If we don't fill a niche and we're not homogenized, we're going to have to make a class that others want us to play because they're currently the best for the environment.
    Edited by Tariy on 3/29/2012 3:33 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Worgen Druid
    03/29/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Kitsueie
    I'm sorry, did you just say druids and disc priests had less regen but a greater mana bank to compensate? Did you mean that as a serious statement, or did I miss a punchline here or something?

As my HM experience in DS doesn't exist yet, I'll go by my HM experience in T11/T12.

Resto Druids mana regen is op'ed. I didn't run out of mana with a 130k buffed mana pool in HM T11, and I never ran out of mana during HM progression in T12.

Considering DS is not hard, I don't think I need to say I never run out of mana now.
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Shaman

Spirit Link Totem? You mean 10% damage reduction? That sounds like Barrier and situationally Aura Mastery. All it does is have HP redistribution, which isn't original or particularly interesting- it isn't even what the spell did back in WC3. As an "oh !@#$" button, it doesn't really do a whole lot except in very particular circumstances.

You did just say that spirit link totem is like Power Word Barrier, right? You also just say that HP redistribution is unoriginal. Tell me, what other hp redistribution spell exists in this game? And I didn't call spirit link totem an oh !@#$ button, but you know what? It is. But it's not a god heal, it's simply an equalizer, which saves low health, lowers high health.

I can't take you seriously now.

Spirit Link Totem is probably the most original spell in this game.

@Kiango
    I agree. Right now our passive regen is shot due to pvp nerfs, and we are forced to squeeze in TCs to maintain mana. It's cool, but really don't want to have to stop casting heals to get mana back, especially when you just don't get the time for that on hardmodes.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    We all have "greater banks" because everyone stacks the beep out of intellect, it is superior.

Yes, but this is just like every other class and spec as well.
    We stack our primary stat, and now we might be getting penalized for it. Which is... odd.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    @Kiango
    I agree. Right now our passive regen is shot due to pvp nerfs, and we are forced to squeeze in TCs to maintain mana. It's cool, but really don't want to have to stop casting heals to get mana back, especially when you just don't get the time for that on hardmodes.

You certainly do have time! :) We're at equal progression, you and I. Are you sure that you don't have time? I seem to have ample wiggle room to stop and cast a few lightningbolts.

Heroic fights:
    Morchock: Running behind the pillars, stand inbetween two of them and start firing LBs off.
    Yor'sajh: When the group goes to get oozes, keep firing Lightningbolts at Yor'sajh.
    Zon'ozz: When you're stacked up bouncing the ball on the 2nd or 3rd pass through p1, fire off Lightningbolts inbetween keeping Healing Rain down.
    Hagara: Any time accept during ice/lightning phase, basically. :\
    Ultraxion: ALL THE TIME. Except for maybe the last 10%. But who cares about that.
    Warmaster: Inbetween onslaughts there's time to fire off ligntning bolts so that by the time Blackhorn and the Gariona (???) come down, you should be at 75% mana.
    I haven't pulled spine many times yet, but I suspect DPS would love your 2kdps on amalgs and tendons.
    Madness I can only suspect is similar to regular in that there's time to weave in lightningbolts on the limbs. I've reviewed the mechanics, and it seems to be largely the same, save increased damage and that nasty parasite thing.
    Reply Quote
    100 Tauren Shaman
    03/29/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Kiango
    We all have "greater banks" because everyone stacks the beep out of intellect, it is superior.

We stack our primary stat, and now we might be getting penalized for it. Which is... odd.

Many seem to be missing the fundamental issues here. Intellect, intellect, intellect! There is no choice.
  • We now have choice. Equal choice. Intellect for big healing. Spirit for more healing. Secondary: Haste for faster healing. Mastery for powerful healing.. or whatever else your mastery does. Crit for a chance at doing double the amount of healing if you're into that.

• Restoration druids and discipline priest mana recoveries are based off of total mana pools which are out of control.
  • Resolved. They won't be out of control in Mists of Pandaria with fixed mana pools.

• How are we penalized for equalization?
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    You did just say that spirit link totem is like Power Word Barrier, right? You also just say that HP redistribution is unoriginal. Tell me, what other hp redistribution spell exists in this game? And I didn't call spirit link totem an oh !@#$ button, but you know what? It is. But it's not a god heal, it's simply an equalizer, which saves low health, lowers high health.

I can't take you seriously now.

Spirit Link Totem is probably the most original spell in this game.

Really now?

Even though it existed in a similar form back in WC3, it's still groundbreakingly original?

And yes, its like Power Word: Barrier. Unless in the last ten minutes, Power Word: Barrier stopped reducing damage taken. As for SLT's HP redistribution, its only relevant in a minority of situations.

If you don't get the time for that on hard modes that aren't Warmaster Blackhorn we are apparently running entirely different instances. I'm in Dragon Soul, you must be in Soul of the Dragon.
    Reply Quote
    90 Gnome Priest
    03/29/2012 03:30 PMPosted by Kiango

Technically tanks don't. Most tanks stack Mastery (except Druids who I believe mostly go for Agility), then go for Stam after a certain point.
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Shaman

Well yes, we stack int. Duh. But there's more to mana pools than int, maybe you missed that?
    Druids have the option to (and often do) spec for furor, which gives them a 15% larger mana pool. Disc priests have enlightenment, which is a flat 15% increase to intellect. These specs do have higher mana pools than the others.

And please, try spending time channeling TC in hardmodes. There's a lot less room for it. Yor'sahj still allows it, morchok does with the right position during black and a little while after, and maybe, MAYBE hagara. Aside from these few occasions, you can't just TC as needed the way you can in normals. If you're stopping to TC that often in hardmodes, the other healers are carrying you.

If you don't get the time for that on hard modes that aren't Warmaster Blackhorn we are apparently running entirely different instances. I'm in Dragon Soul, you must be in Soul of the Dragon.
    Get on your shaman. Right now. And tell me I'm wrong.
    Edited by Razzil on 3/29/2012 3:48 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]