Druid Tanking...

85 Dwarf Warrior
I LOVE TANKING.

I'm in the process of leveling a Paladin tank, and currently enjoy my Warrior tank.

BUT- the idea of rolling a druid tank really intrigues me, and seems more fun than a pally tank.

But I have next to no idea what bear tanking consists of, and I rarely see them...

Hmmm maybe it's because I'm always the tank :3

Is druid tanking hard? What is it like to tank as a bear?

What do they use for AOE threat?

Which heirlooms do they use?
Reply Quote
Druid tanking isn't hard persay, but it's a bit more active. Doing a proper DPS rotation actually helps keep you alive, on top of having typical cooldowns to use.

For AoE, bears have Thrash (Applies a bleed to everything in the area) and Swipe. You also tab-target to apply Lacerate as you can.

For heirlooms, use Leather Agility gear.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
No one has any idea what Druid tanking will be like in MoP.

It is drastically different between the beta and live. And then, what is currently in beta might get changed drastically again.

Currently, Bear tanking isn't hard. It is very important that you press a button every GCD, as our Mastery depends on our offensive abilities critting, so you want to hit the boss as often as possible.
Beyond that, it's the typical "know when to use your defensive cooldowns" that every tank has to pay attention to.

AoE threat is hard before level 81. At level 81, you get Thrash, which is our main AoE attack.
But before 81, we only have Swipe, which is on a 3 sec cooldown, so it becomes: Swipe, Tab->Mangle, Swipe, Tab->Lacerate, repeat. You'll most likely struggle with AoE threat until 81.

And again, once MoP hits, tanking will change dramatically.
Reply Quote
66 Worgen Druid
i can't stand tanking as a druid. i absolutely despise it and i cheered when i found that they were splitting the tanking and dps portions of feral all the way.

that said, despite hating it, i can do it and apparently rather well if the few times groups have pressured me into subbing are any judge.

at low levels, yeah AoE is hard but not appreciably harder than most other classes save DKs(who have obscene AoE tanking) and paladins(which is just... wow. my 33 pally is an amazing AoE tank).

try it out. it's not that bad, just not for some people.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/30/2012 10:28 AMPosted by Crunchbar
Is druid tanking hard?

I wouldn't say any tanking class is "hard".

What is it like to tank as a bear?

You're a BEAR, it's awesome :)

Early on it's a little tricky, once you learn swipe at 18 it gets better, also make sure to glyph maul as soon as you can to let it hit 2 targets. Once you get thrash at 81 it's lol easy.

The agility heirlooms are perfect for bear and feral kitty. Feral is also very good for soloing while leveling and questing as well.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Honestly I never thought I would tank in my life after playing a paladin and warrior here and there but once I made this druid and tried it out, I wish I played one since Vanilla. They just have so much utility.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
03/30/2012 12:59 PMPosted by Zulrick
I wish I played one since Vanilla. They just have so much utility.

The irony of this statement is they were only really viable as resto until BC lol.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
03/30/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Sinderian

The irony of this statement is they were only really viable as resto until BC lol.
Aww man, c'mon. Bears were good for Jin'do! That counts for something.... right?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
03/30/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Trelane
Aww man, c'mon. Bears were good for Jin'do! That counts for something.... right?

also, pre-raid instances actually felt like they counted for something back then - and tanking 5s/10s as a bear was pretty awesome once blizzard fixed us with ?1.8? or so :)
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
03/30/2012 05:26 PMPosted by Sinderian

Meh, bears were viable, people just didn't want to try something different other than warriors. I tanked ZG and MC on my druid back in vanila before I started raiding on a hunter. 13k armor back then was insane(74% damage reduction from physical), HP pools were close if not better than warriors too. Agro was a problem at pull, but after a little bit it wasn't.

Currently bears can struggle a little while lvling, not by much though. Once you get swipe @ 18 and glyph maul its cake really, just have to get used to tab targeting, which if you've tanked before should be something your used to anyway. Give a druid tank a go, you'll have lots of fun lvling, can go kitty at the press of a button and quest really easy. Plus you get tons of mobiliity!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
i didnt come back to tanking until the end of this xpac and at my current ilvl its fine...BUT our gear itemization is a bit rough and while everyone complains about the CTC cap for warriors and paladins, i kinda of miss the mini-game of trying to balance out stat weights. reforging out of haste and crit to dodge is boring...and the lack of dedicated tanking leather can mean you will have to roll against DPS at times and they have every right to roll against you as well...this can also apply to what would traditionally be considered DPS trinkets...and dont get me started on hunters with kirils...yes i know, but its got +armor!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I've played each tanking class through heroics (no raiding) and in my opinion Bear tanks are the most fun and, in heroics, even the most effective. A lot of it depends on the style you're looking for though. Bears have some incredible DPS when tanking and it's very easy which means I can chain groups back to back and not worry about much. I can always speed-run faster on my druid compared to my ther tanks.

The Bears AoE abilities are really fun, almost like tanking with cleaves. DnD and Consecrate are too passive for me, and warriors need to worry about positioning mobs too much for my taste. Crits all over the place and having everything bleeding is really fun. Finally, as warriors will tell you, charge and intercept are an absolute blast, Bears get this as well. My Paladin and DK feel immobile and slow comparatively.

The bear was the last tank I took through Cata, really hoping they don't change much in MoP...
Reply Quote
Bear tanking for me is mostly the same as warrior. Instead of having more utility for tanking and other warrior-ish abilities druid tanks have utilities like stealth, instant flight form, heals, and many others. Tanking as a bear is different but you can't really show off your transmog.
Edited by Wafael on 4/2/2012 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I LOVE TANKING.

I'm in the process of leveling a Paladin tank, and currently enjoy my Warrior tank.

BUT- the idea of rolling a druid tank really intrigues me, and seems more fun than a pally tank.

But I have next to no idea what bear tanking consists of, and I rarely see them...

Hmmm maybe it's because I'm always the tank :3

Is druid tanking hard? What is it like to tank as a bear?

Druid tanking is pretty comparable to tanking with a Warrior, with one exception: pulls where you need a ranged silence to do the pull smoothly. We lack a ranged silence and that can be a pain here and there.

Paladin tanking is the easiest tanking in the game in my experience. Ranged silence, and the best most easy-mode Taunting ability in the game. I recomend that you finish leveling your Pally tank first. Then you can move on to the slightly more difficult Druid tank.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Druid Tanking to me is the best tanking, I've a level 85 paladin prot spec but I fell in love with the druid style, I was tanking HoT's in greens and nobody complained with my pally i had blues and everyone QQ'ed lol it's so fun solo wise pssh solo'ed in bear form all the time I do massive dmg and I love it if you like the paladin once you get the hang of a druid tank you will be invincible
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Druid
I have been out for years now playing other games and my friends seduced me to come back with a scroll of resurrection and I choose to get a Druid to 80 I've been playing a few hours now and went with Feral tanking and I'm loving every second of it. Very active play style I really like it :)

There are some videos in Youtube by a player named Preach he has tanking, dps and healing video guides for all classes very good stuff there to get the hang of the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikepreachwow
Reply Quote
OMG BEAR. let me put it this way: I got to Brez my healer last night.

Because I'm a baby tank and I suck. But still, battle rez!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]