MoP: Allow 'special' characters in names.

85 Orc Death Knight
With MoP coming, and so many people likely to create new characters now would be a great time to allow for a couple of extra characters in character names.

Having recently created a few alts, I can tell you that it's incredibly difficult to name your character on high pop servers - even if you resort to umlauts and ascii characters.

If the 'technology' exists to allow spaces in character names, or at least hyphens and/or apostrophe it would literally free up thousands of possibilities for names that have long been abandoned or parked never to be used.

I also think it's nicer to see names like Vul'Jin / Vul-Jin / Vul Jin in game as apposed to Vüljîn / Vúljín / Vüljïn / etc.

This is further to my request to delete all the parked/abandoned lvl 1 character names here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4254518083
84 Dwarf Warrior
Apostrophes should definitely be allowed, since a ton of in game NPCs have them in their name.
90 Troll Hunter
Apostrophes and dashes should be allowed.
90 Human Rogue
Or make more retro names. :p
10 Gnome Priest
Two names! We need two name! That way all three of my characters can have the same family name and be sisters, although the human paladin is adopted.
10 Human Paladin
04/02/2012 10:29 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
Apostrophes and dashes should be allowed.

Pesky Trolls and their Zul'XX.
90 Human Paladin
Apostrophes are the way to go. But, just one per name.
85 Blood Elf Priest
Apostrophes should be allowed, but should be limited to one per name so we don't end up with people named '''lol'''.
90 Human Paladin
04/02/2012 11:00 PMPosted by Eithris
apostrophe i could handle. all those funky characters i have to use an alt+number to type, those ones, yeah all those toons should be deleted by blizzard.

I don't mind them so much when they replace an i with an ì because someone already had the name they wanted, but when half their name is special characters simply to be annoying....

Meh, it's allowed so I guess I don't care.
85 Dwarf Hunter
numbers

12345678987654321 would be my name
90 Pandaren Mage
They only removed alt codes in 4.3, I doubt they'll re-institute them so soon lol
90 Human Paladin
04/02/2012 11:07 PMPosted by Vynaryln
They only removed alt codes in 4.3, I doubt they'll re-institute them so soon lol

That lasted like a week I think.

You can still use alt codes for names.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
My toon is Ba'al Samael. Not Baalsamael.

I say this: One apostrophe due to standard in-game lore, one hyphen due to troll/pandaren, and one space because, why not.
90 Human Mage
My toon is Ba'al Samael. Not Baalsamael.

I say this: One apostrophe due to standard in-game lore, one hyphen due to troll/pandaren, and one space because, why not.

drakedog(space)

lulz
85 Draenei Shaman
I'm sorry, but it's not Blizzard's fault that people abused the system...when idiots stop naming themselves "Pvpyerass", "Terdball", and "Jesus" all with special characters, then it'll stop...
You have no one to blame about getting rid of the ASCII symbols but yourselves, you should all be ashamed!
Edited by Dedaru on 4/3/2012 12:10 AM PDT
85 Orc Death Knight
04/03/2012 12:09 AMPosted by Dedaru
You have no one to blame about getting rid of the ASCII symbols but yourselves, you should all be ashamed!

ASCII characters work fine.. Just the other day I created a character named Lóre... ?

Besides, that issue is not what this post is about.
51 Human Paladin
Last names would be interesting but lets face it, some server populations are too small so there isn't any point. If they start merging they should add in last names since people will get annoyed if they can't keep the original name.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]