My first impressions of feral pvp on the beta

1 Troll Druid
My main is linked below, but I can not post on my main because a hacker got my acct banned from the forums.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/emerald-dream/Predatoria/simple

I just received my beta key this evening, and have been on the beta dueling and horde hunting in the jade forest for a few hours. I took wild charge, cenarian ward, typhoon, ursols vortex, and king of the jungle.

Mobility

Feral druids on the beta are the absolute most insanely hard to catch, fun, amazing to play spec ever for escaping dicy situations in a world pvp environment. Despite not having feral swiftness, I was still 143% in cat form vs the 149% speed we have on live. I did not even notice I was slower. Even better, with the glyph of prowl I went 136% in stealth (should be 150 actually due to elusiveness but it is bugged on the beta at the moment). I had the boot enchant, which now stacks with our speed w/o swiftness. Our abilities such as savage roar and dash actually increase our speed moreso than on live by about 15% multiplicatively, making us faster when we need it.

The extra speed we have when using these abilities combined with the little hop we get in travel form to leap forward, ursols vortex, and typhoon, and being able to stealth while in combat while using king of the jungle make us very very good at getting away. Typhoon is a great ranged interrupt if you can aim it well, and I have not yet gotten to play with the fae silence glyph. I doubt it'll be as great as it sounds though because itll cost ya 3.5 seconds worth of globals to use.

Survivability

Bear form has always been our survival mode in pvp. This has not changed too much on the beta, and bear still feels pretty tanky as feral (not guardian). We have retained the ability to use frenzied regeneration, which now has no cooldown on it and lasts 6 seconds total! It ticks on my druid for about 9k per second, and consumes 10 rage per second. We generate rage now by white hitting our opponent rather than being hit, but the rage we generate seems to be enough to almost continuously sustain this. I have been almost dead in duels and whatnot on the beta only to go bear and sit there frenzy regen'ing and white hitting my way back to full hp. Our bear lost a chunk of stamina and survival instincts, but we are still a royal pain to kill when we want to be.

Damage

We now need to keep savage roar up in pvp. That combined with our loss of the free ravage on feral charge cat make me feel very energy starved when I open on an opponent. I enjoy the luxury of having full bleeds up on my opponent on live before they even get out of pounce provided they do not trinket the open. On the beta, it takes longer to ramp up and energy seems to be harder to come by. I feel that I will probably want to respec to crit over bleed mastery to generate combo points faster to help alleviate this. We seem to hit quite a bit softer as well, but you can't look too much at the raw numbers as this is a beta test. Our wrath and starfire hit insanely hard though. My wrath in full cata feral gear hits 10k! Unfortunately, mana seems to be an issue for us and I'll cover that in the next section.

I feel this was the price we have had to pay to get such a mobility increase getting back disentanglement at level 90. It is honestly what I wanted. I enjoyed using savage roar in wotlk. I honestly feel it was them removing savage roar from the pvp rotation in cata that actually got our root shifting removed in the first place because.

Mana

Feral druids on the beta are running on fumes almost continuously from a mana point of view, but that may just be my playstyle. Our heals cost 4k to 5k apiece and our mana pool is exactly 20000. Shapeshifts cost 740 apiece, but there is a glyph that reduces shifting costs by 90%. I want to try this glyph out and see if I feel mana starved still, but I have not been able to find it on the beta yet. I feel our heals may be a tad too costly atm.

Healing

Feral heals hit pretty hard on the beta. I get 20k non crit healing touches, and cenarian ward ticks three times for about 7k apiece without the 20% increased healing glyph. Rejuvination ticks for 4.4k every three seconds without this glyph as well, and now has a tick right when cast.

--------------------------
Overall, I'm having an absolute blast on the beta as feral. I feel really mobile and fast and just druidlike in general. I love it! I can not wait to get symbiosis and disentanglement to add to the fun.

Ursol's Vortex was insanely amazing. There were so many times entire raid groups of 5-10 horde were chasing after me, entirely stopped by one well placed vortex. The ability is so much fun!

If you have any feral pvp related questions about my experiences on the beta don't hesitate to ask.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/05/2012 12:00 AMPosted by Predaspyia
We have retained the ability to use frenzied regeneration, which now has no cooldown on it and lasts 6 seconds total! It ticks on my druid for about 9k per second, and consumes 10 rage per second. We generate rage now by white hitting our opponent rather than being hit, but the rage we generate seems to be enough to almost continuously sustain this. I have been almost dead in duels and whatnot on the beta only to go bear and sit there frenzy regen'ing and white hitting my way back to full hp. Our bear lost a chunk of stamina and survival instincts, but we are still a royal pain to kill when we want to be.

Welp, how bout that.
Reply Quote
I admit, this makes the feral side of things sound like a blast. It's a good thing I'm stuck on healing.

How IS the healing side of things in beta? Just from observation, if you have done any. I'm still quietly trying to pick between shaman,druid,pally, or my new priest. Not for FOTM really, but more play style. Currently very interested in having two heal specs instead of just one.

I may try a monk as well.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack of a question. :D Glad you're enjoying the bug hunt and test!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Have a feeling that things will change dramatically before release (lookin' at you, Frenzied Regen). They separated the dps and tanking tree for a reason. In my (admittedly biased) opinion, Bear form should be to a dps-specced Druid what defensive stance/sword and board are for Arms/Ret.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Druid
I admit, this makes the feral side of things sound like a blast. It's a good thing I'm stuck on healing.

How IS the healing side of things in beta? Just from observation, if you have done any. I'm still quietly trying to pick between shaman,druid,pally, or my new priest. Not for FOTM really, but more play style. Currently very interested in having two heal specs instead of just one.

I may try a monk as well.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack of a question. :D Glad you're enjoying the bug hunt and test!

I have not really tried resto out, so I'm afraid I couldn't say. I do know that feral healing is stronger than on live. I just glyphed shapeshifting to make it pretty much free, and that seems to have almost entirely removed my mana issues.

I have a level four monk! Roll is awesome, and so is /sit.

I've also found a few minor bugs with feral I am making a list to report all at once.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I was dueling a feral druid on my mistweaver and kept dispelling his bleeds.

I laughed SO HARD. Now I know what justice feels like. :3
Edited by Rain on 4/5/2012 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm fine with the more mobility, less damage approach if they actually decrease Feral survivability. I think Frenzied Regen will definitely be getting a nerf.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Druid
04/05/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Pezlo
I'm fine with the more mobility, less damage approach if they actually decrease Feral survivability. I think Frenzied Regen will definitely be getting a nerf.

It wouldn't surprise me. It is really annoying to use though because you no longer get rage from being hit, only from white hitting. Overall, hybrid healing in general is pretty potent. I just dueled a few ret pallies and all of the duels ended in stale mates because our healing was too strong compared to our damage.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
04/05/2012 12:28 PMPosted by Pezlo

See, I kind of welcome this new design theory as well.

It's not fun to have melee sitting in snares being controlled most of the fight. It's really frustrating for someone who can't dispel, to essentially eat 2-3 novas and just not touch their opponent. It's also placed the development team in a position where they feel like *everybody* needs an interrupt on a short CD or multiple interrupts so that they aren't crushed while sitting in snares. Some classes still do on live anyways.

At the same time, I'm kind of leery of such a change, because I play a class that's been *balanced* around not permitting the opponent to land hits. It's a control class. There's never been a 'drain-tank' mage team where the mage tanks hits like a warlock. It's good to see Warlock's are getting some of that 'tank caster feel' back.

I think Lopez is right. If Feral is going to see higher up-time on targets frenzied regen will probably see some sort of nerf. Really is quite early in beta still so I'll sit back and watch for another few months before I make any judgments.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Having bear rage / frenzied regen depend heavily on durps hitting said bear was a balancing point (somewhat), the fact that its being changed so ferals can use it whenever and kiting / not hitting them wont matter much is frustrating for other melee.

Though it will be real nice that a feral cant go back to full health as soon as I use spirit wolves.

quote="43362797451"]a class that's been *balanced* around not permitting the opponent to land hits[/quote]

Chances are mages haven't been and will never be "balanced" again, RIP wurror alts. Granted imbalances are to be expected, the extremes of last season or two have crippled most of my hopes for Mists not being the same jazz.

Heres to hoping it turns out well.
Edited by Solveign on 4/6/2012 10:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I was dueling a feral druid on my mistweaver and kept dispelling his bleeds.

I laughed SO HARD. Now I know what justice feels like. :3

So do I

•Detox now removes Disease effects instead of Bleed effects.

pwnd
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Good (albeit depressing) write up.

Zigra,
feral shaman
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Good (albeit depressing) write up.

Zigra,
feral shaman

What is depressing about it?
Reply Quote
100 Undead Hunter
Spirit Bond = 33% Frenzied Regen 100% uptime. Hunters don't die. Get at me Frumplz.

Edit: Except to warlocks. !@#$ warlocks.
Edited by Empath on 5/1/2012 3:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]