Mid to Upper Level Holy Healing

Hello everyone. I recently got into healing, and I find that it is fun, although it is also a bit easy. I was wondering when does healing get harder, and what are some strategies to deal with that? My current rotation is to put renew on the tank, and keep it up at all times with a direct heal, usually Holy word: serenity. When the tank is taking more damage or a dps is taking damage, I just use heal. I also Prayer of Healing when more then 3 people are taking damage. With this I am able to top everyone off, and I nearly always stay at full mana. Is this rotation good, and/or will I need to adjust it? Also, I saw videos from the beginning of cata, where they showed that healers had lots of mana issues. Will that still be a problem when I hit 85 and start doing current content? Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
at level 60, healing is a joke. Once you hit 80, and queue for your first dungeon, you're going get hit full-on by the totally different experience that is Cata healing. You will OOM after every pull. You'll need to get used to people not being topped off. You'll have to manage mana (read: know when to use SF & HoH)

Once you hit 85, and get into your first heroics, you'll get hit by even harder content.

at 85, healing a HoT, healing looks more like, renew on any lightly damaged teammate, Serinity on the tank, CoH when needed, PoH when needed, PoM on CD (and always on the tank), Heal when nothing else is needed, GH for heavy damage period, FH if someone is going to absolutly die if they don't get healed quick.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Healing is not so much about "rotations" as it is about "triage."
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
04/06/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Saeloreien
Healing is not so much about "rotations" as it is about "triage."

I think this input is crucial. It sounds like you've got some of the basics down pat (though, as it was noted above, healing will change drastically at 85).

Healing is mostly about reading tool-tips and truly understanding your spells and their strengths and weaknesses in certain situations. There isn't a rotation. It's about being able to interpret and anticipate incoming damage and knowing how most quickly and efficiently to repair that damage.

My advice is this:
1) Read your spell tool-tips and talents. Understand them as best you can.
2) Heal. A lot. Simply running through different content and healing different players of different styles and classes in different mechanics will really be the best experience for you.

3) HAVE FUN! :) Once you become more comfortable healing, it's very dynamic and can be very unpredictable and exciting.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Once you hit 80, and queue for your first dungeon, you're going get hit full-on by the totally different experience that is Cata healing. You will OOM after every pull. You'll need to get used to people not being topped off. You'll have to manage mana (read: know when to use SF & HoH)

This isn't true. Most people find the first few levels almost as easy as BC and Wrath healing. Level 83 is where mana troubles crop up.

@OP:

As stated by others, you'll want to know your spells and abilities as you reach upper levels of healing.

You should find these guides helpful:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3595673916

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3229375010
Edited by Elethia on 4/6/2012 10:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
04/06/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Elethia
This isn't true. Most people find the first few levels almost as easy as BC and Wrath healing. Level 83 is where mana troubles crop up.

Yep, and even in the worst circumstances in dungeons, generally you don't need SF or HoH, you just end up having to drink between every 2nd or 3rd pull.
Reply Quote
Thanks for all the responses. Are there any addons I should be using that make healing easier?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I recently leveled a healer to 85. hardly even noticed I had a mana bar till 83 or so. 84 I had to watch it. but it wasn't till I hit heroics that I needed to keep water in my bag. But then again I'm used to healing in cata. Overall it likely woun't be as bad for you as it was at the start of cata because more people have better gear and the dungeons have been toned down some since then.

as for add ons you probably want a raid frame/click casting add on like Healbot, Vuhdo or Grid + Clique. There are a few more like that, I'm sure. But those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

(edited for spelling!)
Edited by Catania on 4/6/2012 1:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I've found that doing battlegrounds while levelling helps immensely, as you learn to deal with high damage, damage spikes, triage, and mana management. Because of the high levels of damage, you actually need to try to heal, and no one blames you (much) if someone dies.

As for addons, one of the many raid-frame addons like Healbot and Vuhdo would be a good idea. I personally use Healbot, as it has all the tools I need and is easy to set up. I would also recommend IceHUD, an addon that gives you highly a customizable heads-up display. I have it in the center of my screen, giving me my health, mana, cast bar, cooldowns on several of my spells, and buffs I need to watch.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]