Hard Mode servers

90 Blood Elf Warlock
What I would like to see is not an original idea, it's been done before in other games and it can be successful. I would like to see an alternate rule server with a higher difficulty level. Ideally it would be difficult enough to make questing alone a large risk. Some of the things I would like to see on a World of Warcraft hard mode server would be:

XP loss and XP rez: This isn't as scary as it sounds. I have been dealing with this mechanic for years in other games and it's a great "learn 2 play" incentive. It also creates a greater demand for priest classes in the server wide community.

All mobs are elite: Soloing should present significant risk and consume significant resources. Grouping up should be the preferred method of tackling content.

All dungeons heroic: This might be the most difficult part to balance since heroics are usually max level only. Level limits for epic items should also be adjusted so that people can wear the gear when they acquire it.

No question marks, exclamation points, tool tips on npc's or sparkles for quests: I play for a challenge, let me explore the world, let me find the quest objectives on my own, require me to read and comprehend the quest text if I am going to have a chance to complete it. These visual conveniences destroy immersion and exploration.

Must be PvP: To keep the challenge compelling it must be a pvp server. With difficult content that requires players to group in order to complete leveling quest content the opportunity for group vs. group world pvp will be very real. This will also add an extra level of danger to soloing, you may be questing alone, but your enemies may not.

Quest sharing: Quest chains should be shareable at all points, but the reward at the end should only be awarded at the completion of all quests in the chain. The current system is too linear and doesn't reward people for grouping up, it actually discourages it to a degree.

No LFR/LFD: Let us build our own community, the old fashioned, tried and true way.

Let me know what you think I am sure those of you who have completed the toughest WoW content have some input. Please read before flaming.

TLDR: WoW is cool, it would be even cooler if it had a hard mode server for people who like that kinda thing.
Reply Quote
15 Gnome Rogue
04/06/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Guinevyr
That doesn't sound challenging, just tedious.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
WoW was created to be a more casual game than Everquest. It removed features like XP loss on death because they were annoying. No.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
It would be nice to have "turn of sparkle thing" and minimap markers for quests as an option on every server. In fact, I don't know why it isn't an option already, as it is purely a single-player thing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/06/2012 02:33 PMPosted by Guinevyr

Yes, some might think it's tedious, however I find the current game tedious in it's dullness. That is why I propse it be an alternate rule server and not some massive change. A lot of people like WoW as it is. That's great! I am not proposing to take your fun away. I am proposing that the game expand it's rules a bit to be more fun for a certain type of crowd.

WoW has peaked, it's not going to get back up past 14 million subs if it doesn't spread it's appeal. I am confident WoW can be a very challenging game, however that challenge is locked behind a very long boring grind.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/06/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Lolio
WoW was created to be a more casual game than Everquest. It removed features like XP loss on death because they were annoying. No.

It's not for everyone, hence why I propose it as an alternate rule set. I am flexible on it, I can go either way.

Right now WoW has gold loss instead of xp loss as a penalty. They both result in a time sink. I don't see a huge amount of difference between the two except people are motivated to play better when they lose xp instead of having to repair every now and then.
Edited by Lyyr on 4/6/2012 2:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
52 Worgen Druid
04/06/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Lyyr

Yes, some might think it's tedious, however I find the current game tedious in it's dullness. That is why I propse it be an alternate rule server and not some massive change. A lot of people like WoW as it is. That's great! I am not proposing to take your fun away. I am proposing that the game expand it's rules a bit to be more fun for a certain type of crowd.

WoW has peaked, it's not going to get back up past 14 million subs if it doesn't spread it's appeal. I am confident WoW can be a very challenging game, however that challenge is locked behind a very long boring grind.
The appeal to the masochistic players that would seek out such a server wouldn't be worth the resources. World of Warcrafts play style in my opinion doesn't support such inventive ideas. How would content like raiding be handled?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
[quote="43336312818"][quote] The appeal to the masochistic players that would seek out such a server wouldn't be worth the resources. World of Warcrafts play style in my opinion doesn't support such inventive ideas. How would content like raiding be handled?

Perhaps, but I see people speaking out, dissatisfied with the level of challenge, but not with the World per se. I don't know what kind of resources it would take to do, it may be outlandish, it may not be. I would be willing to pay a little more for a special rule set that was more difficult.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This sounds like a group server, not a hardmode server.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You want hardmode never equip anything in your leg or chest slots.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/06/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Reveries
You want hardmode never equip anything in your leg or chest slots.

Self imposed handicaps do not compare to overcoming a challenge and it taking everything you've got to do it. In other words it just isn't fun.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I would enjoy such a server, but I can't see Blizzard adding it since WoW is supposed to an extremely casual MMO with minimal difficulty outside of player created difficulty (PvP) and hardmode raiding, for the raiding crowd.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Im down for it.. Would be nice to have a server like this so the "Hard core" community can have their own servers and stop complaining that the game is to easy.. Allow free transfers to the server and it will get populated rather quickly. When you get on to that server you have to pay to get off of it..

Good idea man, im on board.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
04/06/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Lyyr
Self imposed handicaps do not compare to overcoming a challenge and it taking everything you've got to do it. In other words it just isn't fun.

Self imposed handicaps don't require HUGE amounts development time for something a very minute part of the population of players wants.
Reply Quote
15 Tauren Paladin
04/06/2012 02:56 PMPosted by Reveries

Self imposed handicaps don't require HUGE amounts development time for something a very minute part of the population of players wants.

It also doesn't require Blizzard to branch off development into different code bases which would each require separate testing phases. Branching code bases is bad.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/06/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Schleichend
I would enjoy such a server, but I can't see Blizzard adding it since WoW is supposed to an extremely casual MMO with minimal difficulty outside of player created difficulty (PvP) and hardmode raiding, for the raiding crowd.

There is a growing demand out there in the wider MMO community that want more of what MUD's and early graphical MMORPG's had to offer, but with the level of polish and evolution that WoW has. With a few tweaks Blizzard could capture that share of the market without having to develop a whole new game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/06/2012 02:53 PMPosted by Schleichend

Right, and thats why this idea is genius. It's "supposed" to be a casual MMO. The majority of players fall in this category like me. But, giving players a choice to play a very difficult game inside of a games which original intent is to appeal to casuals will help grow your player base and keep people interested.

Obviously what Lyyr has drawn up is a basic rough draft but with some tweaking it could actually work really well. Look at the ironman challenge for instance.. People latched on that idea real quick and actually completed it and im sure enjoyed it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/06/2012 02:58 PMPosted by Holyfrikncow

It also doesn't require Blizzard to branch off development into different code bases which would each require separate testing phases. Branching code bases is bad.

I get what you are saying. However WoW is losing it's appeal to a segment of the MMO market. Making a different rule set to capture a segment of the market they don't have would be cheaper than making a new game.
Reply Quote
15 Tauren Paladin

I get what you are saying. However WoW is losing it's appeal to a segment of the MMO market. Making a different rule set to capture a segment of the market they don't have would be cheaper than making a new game.

development costs would far outweigh the marginal gains of an extremely small player segment, and would in no way justify branching the code base. Most players would try the server, find them tedious and frustrating and never log back in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]