Blood DK vs Shadow Priest

100 Blood Elf Paladin
I can't decide on my alt at all. I want one that can compliment my paladin well. I'm planning to go minning and enchanting with the alt. Gonna use mining to provide bars for Blacksmithing on my paladin and enchanting because its useful and a good money maker. This is how I feel about each class:

Death Knight:
- Starts at 55 so I can get to 85 faster
- Easier to solo things and level in general
- Good at PVP?
I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that it is a melee class though, since my paladin is also melee. Does a Blood DK play similarly to a Retribution Paladin to the extent that it will bore me?

Shadow Priest:
- A caster that looks awesome
- Priests can heal and I love healing
- Apparently its difficult to solo things and will take longer to level to 85

In the end, I also care about their performance in PVP since I want my alt to be a PVP/arena character. How well does each class do in the Arena/RatedBGs? Is one more in-demand and considered to be better than another?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/07/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Believed
I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that it is a melee class though, since my paladin is also melee. Does a Blood DK play similarly to a Retribution Paladin to the extent that it will bore me?

Well, a Blood DK is a tank spec, while a ret pally is a DPS spec. So to that extent their focuses are quite different. In general, I consider DK's to be more interesting in playstyle than paladins - and no, I don't consider them all that similar.

04/07/2012 03:13 PMPosted by Believed
In the end, I also care about their performance in PVP since I want my alt to be a PVP/arena character. How well does each class do in the Arena/RatedBGs? Is one more in-demand and considered to be better than another?

I have not heard much complaint from the DK's in the pvp front. They have a certain advantage in having multiple damage specs, improving the odds that at least one of them will be useful. There's no alternative DPS spec for priests, so it's shadow or nothing... and shadow has been commonly regarded as underpowered. That said, disc priests are highly favored as pvp healers, and if you enjoy healing, having two different styles to choose from can make the class more interesting.

It's also true that priests tend to take longer to level with, not only because of the 55 level head start a DK has, but also because their damage is primarily DOT, not burst damage which is more helpful in leveling.

The Mining profession would be more useful for you as a DK... for a few reasons. 1: your burst damage makes it easier for you to swoop down, kill any enemies near a node and mine it. 2: your pet makes it easier for you to mine a node while it distracts any mobs near it. 3: The bonus you get from the profession itself (stamina) is more useful for a DK.

All in all, based on your preferences and concerns, I'd say you're better off rolling a DK. The only reason you might choose a priest is if you just really want to play a caster, or you really want the ability to play a healer.
Edited by Hershe on 4/7/2012 11:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]