the death of Winterhoof the saddening truth

85 Night Elf Hunter
I can agree with most of this....

I try all the time, on my alt tank, to get a pug group for DS (now that it is so nerfed anyone can do it) and baddies are still playing bad................. I mean they die to trash on Hagara, and Ultraxion... "What button are you talking about to click???"

But when I call the bad players out in /2 I get the " Oh Im sorry you're an elitist.... You are pro and we suck... " And then instead of trying to get better, they go on and on about ANAL BARRAGE or other poo like that...

I say it time and time again, I am no pro hunter playing my class, but compared to some of these people on this server............ Its like the difference between black and white....

If they really want to waste 15 bucks a month just sitting in trade and talking about moronic bullnonsense, hey send the money my way, ill take it and put it to good use...
Edited by Johnnydanger on 5/7/2012 5:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I haven't been here from the beginning of Winterhoof, I'm a transfer from Alterac Mountains - another "Oooh the server is dead, there are only baddies here" realm. Interestingly enough, that's the server that Vodka is on ;)

I've never played on a high-pop realm, but I'd be more interested in ratios of raiders vs. non-raiders and the ratio of "heroic successful" to "still struggling" guilds, and I can't help but wonder if the ratios wouldn't be similar. Granted, the pug scene could look different.

To those of you who are trying to get pug raids together, I haven't pugged out my alts since ICC times and the dreaded "LFM Kara, need GearScore infinity or 'ur a n00b'" times - or the "raiding ICC, pugs disappear after lootship" raids :(

I'd like to bring my alt-priestess or mage or rogue, but I'm hesitant. Do I play Disc well enough for heroic attempts - all she's ever done is LFR and one normal boss? Will people insta-kick me if my mage screws up due to some thing that affects ranged and that I've never seen? Or because I slipped on my rotation because, well, it *is* an alt? Do I get kicked because I accidentally called Hypeir a baddie instead of the acceptable word "DK" ;) Would it be OK to leave after 2 hours because it's getting late on the east coast and I have to work?

Judging by the tone in this thread, it all sounds much more civilized than in ICC times - perhaps I should give it a try.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
05/14/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Pinkslip
The top guilds here are off in their own special world and give nothing back to this realm.

Are they supposed to?

I almost flipped my $hit read this as "guilds getting titles aren't sharing with us, the 99%, who don't have all that fancy $hit even though we want it too," but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's not what you were saying or implying. At all.

This realm didn't produce a single usable ranged player for us when we were actively recruiting for 4/8H and higher. Hell there was a time we would have probably paid an elemental shaman to come play with us and get tokens.

c wut i did thar?
Edited by Hypeir on 5/14/2012 1:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
The top guilds here are off in their own special world and give nothing back to this realm.

Are they supposed to?

I almost flipped my $hit read this as "guilds getting titles aren't sharing with us, the 99%, who don't have all that fancy $hit even though we want it too," but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's not what you were saying or implying. At all.

This realm didn't produce a single usable ranged player for us when we were actively recruiting for 4/8H and higher. Hell there was a time we would have probably paid an elemental shaman to come play with us and get tokens.

c wut i did thar?

That's because there is no end game competition left on this server. Back when <makaveli> vs <RaZe> were going it produced a lot of talented players in the public. When it was <makaveli> vs <Rubicon> vs <Team Redundant Team> it did the same. We controlled our general public skill via the !@#$ we used to run. It was either A. be decent and come to our alt run and get free gear, or B. be terrible and get %^-*.

At the risk of derailing this into a 10vs25, 10s really killed the general player base skill on a lot of servers. Very few realms have successful pugs on them because a 25 guild can just do a 10 alt heroic run and get the same gear/achievements. A 10 man guild usually has enough casuals in it to pull together a 10 man run. Also 25s require a much higher skill level than a 10 does. DPS/healing requirements are proportionally higher than 10s where as 10s are more based around your tank's skill. Their ability to stay alive, help out on DPS/healing themselves is much more required than in 25s where you can always have a healer CD on a tank and just let the DPS kill things. (Hence why <Rubicon> took so long. Think you'd get a post without me calling you a baddie Hypeir? THINK AGAIN SIR!) 25s fuel a good healthy server by providing the general community some interaction with the top guild(s) where as 10s don't.

Edit, P.S. Have Ferg. give me your battle tag for D3, Hypeir.
Edited by Fluttershý on 5/14/2012 2:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
6 Night Elf Druid
05/14/2012 07:30 PMPosted by Pinkslip
Nonetheless, you are off in your own special corner, completely absent from the community.

Wait a second... what community? The only community I know of on Winterhoof is trade chat.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Why don't you run some pugs on Winterhoof? I mean, do you ever give back to the community? Since your so opinionated on the matter. Take some initiative and do it yourself. It sounds like you are holding the top guilds on the server accountable for its decline, when you seem to be more than capable to operate a PuG.
Edited by Torqbow on 5/14/2012 7:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
@Flutterbad (YES SIR I WENT THERE)
I'm outraged and offended. I'll send you a mail on mag with my ID/tag since Fergg is never on.

@Pinkslip's reply to my reply
I won't debate you on your clarification as I don't disagree. You're also welcome for the laugh - I aim to please :3

@Pinkslip's message above this one
Nobody can so much as sneeze on these forums without stirring the nest. Personally I look forward to reading what people here have to say (aside from pure drama) since I've got almost nothing else to read while I'm at work
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm outraged and offended. I'll send you a mail on mag with my ID/tag since Fergg is never on.

It's true he is really bad.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue

I really am, one time I let our tank die 3xs on our Grand Crusader kill.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Hey I dont know about you people on the Horde side of things, but there are a few guilds on the Alliance side, that are one or two things away, from joining you in "4/8H and beyond land"... My guild for example has healers come and go like its going out of style, and we cant get good one's to stay who understand their own class.....

But trust me, at least on the alliance side, there are a few guilds that wants to do something proactive here on Winterhoof...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
sïnistër is looking for more players and putting together another core to finish heroic DS and go into MoP strong. Raid times for this group are Monday Tuesday and Thursday 7:30-10:30. All interested in applying and helping fix our dying server please contact Okrem or ölddirty
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

I really am, one time I let our tank die 3xs on our Grand Crusader kill.

Quoting this for truth. Heal a tank and three penetrating cold targets better next time. K THX
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Ah Winterhoof, How I've missed you so.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
theres gata be somthing we can do about this.... wait, blizz deleted my last post about a possible solution.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
A Lot of servers are experiencing this "decline" of players but it really is all relative. Take my main server for example; as of this past week, the average number of players on my main server between 7:00PM - 10:00PM Central Time is around 140 players Alliance side. Wintehoof has an average of around 425 players Alliance side between those same times.

How I came up with these figures is simple; I just did a "who" for each class and then totaled. I know this is not an exact method and it is flawed. However, it does give an idea of the state of the server and its active player base. While Winterhoof may be experiencing a decline in active players, it is still in better shape than many others like my main server.

Some of the comments here have talked about how the top guilds don't give anything back to the realm. That really isn't much different than many of the other servers in the game. The top guilds usually end up isolating themselves from the rest of the realm unless there is enough competition. If there are only a couple or few guilds that are able to compete with each other, they don't see the need to "tap into" the remaining player pool unless they're having issues trying to fill a spot. In most cases they simply "feed off each other" for members, so going to the general populous for talent isn't really considered.

I agree with both Bahia and Hypeir, they both have pointed out that many of the issues that are causing the decline in activity and xferring is directly related to the lack of solid guild leadership. But the lack of solid guild leadership isn't the only issue as Hypeir also points out, as well as several others; it is the "apathy" that many of the current player base has that don't help matters. Throw the fact in that many of those apathetic players and new players are unreceptive, if not downright hostile, to constructive advise and things go down even further.

I've been playing on this server off and on since the end of WoLK. It was and is a great server, fun people etc. and for a time I thought about moving my mains here. Instead I decided to start my own Guild on my main server and see what I could do to help turn it around, I've been on that server for over 4yrs. But it truly is dying and has gotten to a point where not only am I rethinking my decision to keep my mains there but also my guild.

Winterhoof is still in a far better position player base wise then my main server and while it may be on the decline, it is not so far gone that the current player base is unable to turn it around. But that truly depends on how much the player base is willing to do something about it and not simply complain that a server merge is in order. Waiting for MoP is only a temporary fix and will provide a slight surge in players, returning and new, to the realm. But what happens after that?

There will always be players that come and go, but in order to minimize the number that go the community has to provide something of value to keep them there. That value is not only having competitive Guilds but having a strong community base that is open, friendly and helpful. Winterhoof has a good community and judging by the posts here a community that cares about what happens to it. That is a solid start and something that my main server and many of the other truly dying servers lack.
Reply Quote
59 Night Elf Death Knight
Plus most players xfer off because of how uncivalized most players can be. Like our dearest Mckenna for example, or the more die hard "vendettas" and hatred of other players on the realm. Give that some thought also. :/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]