Hello again, GhostCrawler,
Hello again, Community,
I posted a very long thread about my 6 years tanking with my warlock, you can find it here :
The thread was already long, so I prefered to create another one for specific theorycraft and ideas.
– I – Introduction
– II – Problems
– III – Fury Ward Rework
– IV – Intel & Dodge
– V – Further Ideas
– I – INTRODUCTION –
Since the release of WoW, there is a tanking mechanic that was never fully exploited (only recently by DK with Undead Army) : the fact that you can't dodge nor parry nor block while spellcasting.
This is what a caster tank is all about. This is what warlock tanks could be all about. I will continue this idea ; in this thread, I will propose ideas for the Warlock Tank, based on my long experience and on other posts I've read in the last weeks.
On a side note, I remember GhostCrawler saying « it has to be a commitment ». I want to answer « we have always been dedicated ». If you think you could tank Karazhan with DPS gear, you never tried. I tanked Karazhan, after MONTHES of gear farming, and I assure you no DPS gear could have done what my specific gear did.
Any way you put it, you will never have a tanking spec that can use DPS gear. It's not POSSIBLE. It will always be a commitment, because you can't swap enchant, gems, etc. every time you want to swap presence. Let alone trinkets and such.
But fine : I have ideas so that it is even more a commitment.
– II – PROBLEMS –
So the basic real time choice should be : should I drain life, or should I dodge?
There is a second choice that could be cool, though I don't like it (it's a choice anyway = it's cool) : should I hold more threat, or should I survive? (I treat this in the second idea of part V)
There is 8 different problems to solve with the overal warlock tanking right now, and I will show how to solve them all at once :
- we don't have any real ability that consume fury
- we don't have any real thoughtful tanking active button like death strike
- we lack itemization choices
- tanking should be a REAL commitment
- we don't use at all the dodge/drain mechanism, because we lack dodge, so we just drain and drain
- we are slightly OP because we are full-mitigation with no avoidance (I'm fine with it though, it's an interesting singularity – but I think this singularity is not healthy for the warlock tank)
- Ward Fury is not fun to use, and kinda look like a second drain life
- we deal too much damage
In short : we need an active tanking button that increase dodge and emphasize avoidance, reduce our damage, consume fury, is thoughtful, increase itemization choices (if possible solve them!) and increase commitment...
It is possible with just ONE thing : Rework Fury Ward.
(cut because of 5000 characters limit)