Arcane in MOP

90 Undead Mage
Is there any reason not to be Arcane in MOP?

Ice barrier, Frostjaw, Cauterize, Frost bomb slow, on 10 sec cooldown, Nova, Mana shield that GIVES mana instead of takes it, Frost nova, Blink on 15 sec cd, poly, passive shatter, ice block, cone of cold slow, evocate self-heal, frost armor slow, imp cs baseline, alter time.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
It isn't like those are Arcane only. You can be fire and have those, or Frost as well (assuming its damage is near the other specs). I think it is nice in that it will allow you to pvp as what you like and you should do fine.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Good point...I should rephrase...

Assuming arcane is as bursty as it is currently, is there any reason not to be arcane. I'll admit, fire is fun, frost is meh, arcane hits like a truck...and not just any truck, a big BIG truck.

As long as arcane's main pve damage still comes from arcane blast and keeping mana up, it comes off as a bit OP in PVP when you can and WILL always get the opener, with the amount of control and survivability they are gaining.

If damage is equivalent on an arcane mage and a shadow priest, for example, what reason would anyone have to not choose the class with better survivability and the ability to kite better as well.

A shadow priest can off-heal? Yeah, they can but they go oom doing it...and a mage can simply keep people controlled so there is no need to off heal.

It just seems like it's going to be a very bad situation in the first season of the expansion with a lot of nerfs coming.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Good point...I should rephrase...

Assuming arcane is as bursty as it is currently, is there any reason not to be arcane. I'll admit, fire is fun, frost is meh, arcane hits like a truck...and not just any truck, a big BIG truck.

As long as arcane's main pve damage still comes from arcane blast and keeping mana up, it comes off as a bit OP in PVP when you can and WILL always get the opener, with the amount of control and survivability they are gaining.

If damage is equivalent on an arcane mage and a shadow priest, for example, what reason would anyone have to not choose the class with better survivability and the ability to kite better as well.

A shadow priest can off-heal? Yeah, they can but they go oom doing it...and a mage can simply keep people controlled so there is no need to off heal.

It just seems like it's going to be a very bad situation in the first season of the expansion with a lot of nerfs coming.

Well from what I have read Arcane's "rotation" is being reworked a little, and casting 4 stack ABs will run you OOM very quickly, especially with the fixed mana pools. You will be casting ABarr and AM a lot more unless you want to be worthless for a good amount of time.

Edit: I will admit though, if these talents were going through to live and nothing else was changed, then Arcane would be very overpowered as it would be a glass cannon with the survivability of Frost. That being said I am sure it is different on the beta, and I am still waiting on my invite so I can tool around with it.
Edited by Duhat on 4/5/2012 5:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I believe frost will still be the way to go for arena, arcane looks very strong though and fire's pvp future seems bleak.

BUT, there is still a lot of time before release. Many things could change.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Arcane will still be a turret spec and will be weak in PVP because of it. It just has no mobility unlike Frost or Fire.

Sure it hits like a really really big truck that has a thousand exploding suns for its engine if it's left alone but that's the thing. "If it's left alone". This will be no different in MoP with or without the new talent tree abilities.

The other thing is the fact that all the things you mentioned are either in the other specs (CoC slow, Blink, Alter Time, etc.) or are accessible by the other specs (Frostjaw, Ice Barrier, etc etc)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Your definition of mobility is questionable for Arcane. Having Arcane Barrage on a 3s cd alone is already a lot for mobility, seeing how hard it hits. Nether Tempest or Living Bomb also allows versatility on the move in pvp.

Scorch has some promises for arcane pvp because it is free and is a off-spec cast, meaning you won't be that hindered from interrupts, which are being nerfed in Mists anyway. Ice Flows also gives you two "free casts", hopefully two missiles with a few charges.

If the mage is confortable in not having Ice Barrier, Blazing Speed promises huge mobility vs melees, so you don't need to be left alone to get casts.

It's a bit early to say that arcane will be as strong as frost and fire in pvp, but it has some promises in its favor.
Reply Quote
I'll still be playing Arcane in MoP, been doing it since I started.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
There's really no point in even speculating at all since no one will know how its going to be until it's actually released. This is part of the reason why I took a HUGE break just a couple weeks after Cata came out.

My main was my warlock all through WotLK. I was so excited looking at all the awesome things we were getting with cata. Fel Flame to refresh UA on the move, instant cast soulfires and shadowbolts... Hell Yea!!!

Turns out none of those awesome new toys even mattered when cata was actually released since I came to find out lock dots hit like little girls, UA dispel damage was crap, and I was LITERALLY almost getting globaled by warriors. Feral bleeds, DKs and rogues were all out of control.

All that time I was so excited and then when it finally came out it was a huge disappointment. I got tired of getting trounced by nearly every class when I KNEW I was a decent player, so I quit. I just recently came back to check things out again and see if blizz had made any improvements.

While it's not as bad as when cata was first realized, I'm still disappointed with quite a few things.

TL:DR

No point in speculating. You never know how everything is going to turn out when it's released.
Edited by Ruflok on 4/6/2012 6:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT

Ice barrier, Frostjaw, Cauterize, Frost bomb slow, on 10 sec cooldown, Nova, Mana shield that GIVES mana instead of takes it, Frost nova, Blink on 15 sec cd, poly, passive shatter, ice block, cone of cold slow, evocate self-heal, frost armor slow, imp cs baseline, alter time.

Well Fire sucks completely, and Frost is pretty cool; it seems like Arcane and Frost are the only choices to go now.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I actually found Fire very interesting playing around with it last night. What is your problem with it?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
CFT
04/06/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Mageski
I actually found Fire very interesting playing around with it last night. What is your problem with it?

Combustion is god awful, DoT spreading limit cap of 5 (LB still only 3), no spammable AoE (FS is now on a cast time and has a cooldown, on top of pitiful damage for its hindrances).

Also, the UI, or rather, BUFF (when it SHOULD be a UI mechanic) for Heating Up and Hot Streak is awkward and confusing.

My biggest confusion is how we've gone from kings of AoE all through Vanilla-Cataclysm to becoming the weakest AoE class in the game now (Mages in general, not just Fire)
Edited by Pewpewblast on 4/6/2012 8:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
04/06/2012 08:15 AMPosted by Pewpewblast

Combustion is god awful, DoT spreading limit cap of 5 (LB still only 3), no spammable AoE (FS is now on a cast time and has a cooldown, on top of pitiful damage for its hindrances).

Living Bomb can only be placed manually on three targets, but if you glyph Fire Blast/Inferno Blast, you can spread it to five. The resulting numbers are extremely competitive. You can see some comparisons of Frost Bomb, Living Bomb, and spreadable Living Bomb in the three most recent posts on my site (http://lhiveras-library.com). Those are all within a Frost spec (because I primarily wanted to compare the bombs, rather than the specs), but the only difference for Fire would be spreading the DOTs rather than using Frozen Orb.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
04/06/2012 08:15 AMPosted by Pewpewblast

Also, the UI, or rather, BUFF (when it SHOULD be a UI mechanic) for Heating Up and Hot Streak is awkward and confusing.

My biggest confusion is how we've gone from kings of AoE all through Vanilla-Cataclysm to becoming the weakest AoE class in the game now (Mages in general, not just Fire)

You will constantly have spreadable DoTs up on a target and can spread them every 8 seconds.

I don't find having a mini Hot Streak showing up just inside of the larger indicator that represents an actual Hot Streak confusing at all. By the second time it came up I knew right what it was and had realized that I could force a Pyro by using my 100% Crit Inferno Blast at that time.

It's still early. Fire doesn't seem that bad to me, but I'm sure they'll still be changing things for quite some time.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
And the forums are doing a wonderful job of having me post on alts when it says I'm on my main. >.<
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
04/05/2012 05:16 PMPosted by Omru
Still a lot of ramp up time needed which requires back to back casts to put forth the heavy burst, and the only mobile offensive spell (besides arcane bomb if you take it) in your arsenal dumps those stacks. Also the increased casting speed per stack of AB is being removed, so itll take even longer to build up 4 stacks.

edit: I think arcane will still end up being a turreting spec. Which may work in MoP, idk, we'll see. Melee are going to have considerably more uptime on casters come MoP than they do on live. Mobility, and quick easy to access burst (like frost shatter combos) is going to be king.
Edited by Esmee on 4/6/2012 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Right now, melee in MoP have stupid amounts of mobility and gap-closing capabilities. There's no way to kite them long enough to get your stacks up.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
I may be trying out frost for PVE in Mists. I love fire as it currently works, but I wonder what kind of numbers I could pull if I tried a good frost build. Currently, I only switch to my frost build for daily quests.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]