Horrific Periodic Lag Spikes Since Maint.

(Locked)

55 Blood Elf Death Knight
Ever since I've logged on after yesterday's maintenance, Ive been getting these lag spikes where everybody around me either freezes or runs in place and then after a few seconds things catch up and Ive missed some time.

Then it happens again. and again. Very regular like to some rhythm. I don't have time to do any research on this right now but it seems to be happening mostly in instances. Nothing has changed on my system/network...its the same as it was Monday when I had no lag spikes.
Support Forum Agent
Are you able to try a powercycle and see if it helps?

Powercycle network devices
    1. Unplug your modem and router (if you have one.)
    2. Let them set for 30-60 seconds.
    3. Plug them back in modem first, then the router.
    4. Test

To fix bugs, simply blow on the cartridge...
90 Human Priest
Several days, network equipment having no problems with anything (including Beta) until you log WoW (Live) and then the performance drops like a rock.

netstat showing no unusual connections.

Network traffic not spiking, just while WoW is running every TCP/UDP connection stutters like mad.

Quitting WoW fixes the problem. Restarting the network equipment doesn't change anything.
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
Linksys router? what is your equipment? have you checked for equipment firmware updates? I know some linksys routers have had problems like this with wow for no real good reason other then a firmware bug they typically fixed in later firmware versions on some of those models.
Support Forum Agent
You may want to try removing temporary files and see if this helps. Sometimes tmep files can cause issues like this.
Reset the temp files
    1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft/
    2. Delete the Cache folder.
    3. Move Interface and WTF to the Desktop.
    4. Launch WoW.

To fix bugs, simply blow on the cartridge...
90 Human Priest
Did some ping monitoring.

Setup three ping tests, one to Australia, one to New Zealand and one to the US.

Downloading movies from youtube, downloading apps from Apple, and uploading data to iCloud all had no impact on the ping results.

Logging into WoW (clean cache, WTF and Interface moved before running WoW) resulted in all my ping tests jumping to about 2-3% packet loss, even though the network usage was lower.

Quitting out of WoW, the problem went away.

netstat showing nothing out of the ordinary, just the connection to the server reflected in /Applications/World of Warcraft/Logs/connection.log

Nothing in the system logs

Something weird is definitely happening, and all evidence points to the WoW client doing something unrecorded.
90 Night Elf Druid
In answer to the 'what's the hardware?' question:

Netgear DM111P ADSL2+ modem. Recently all checked during an ISP outage.

Brem is a CCNA.

I was noticing the lag spikes mostly in instances (DS raid) last night, wasn't only during combat, also occurred between combat (while eating and getting ready for next fight).

Client would lag out then suddenly catch up with whatever was happening at the server end all of a sudden after a long time (20seconds up to over a minute). Longest spike observed was a duration in excess of 2 x Hour of Twilight on Ultraxion normal.
Support Forum Agent
And how are you connected to the internet? (Wireless, Ethernet to modem, etc)

Is this only happen in instances, or everywhere?

Have you tried to toggle the "optimize network" option in Options>Network to see if this helps?

This information will help us get a better understanding on what may be going on and we can go from there.
90 Night Elf Druid
My friend and I have been having similar issue. We can be running fine all day playing other games or even wow but then if we both queue up for an lfr and get in and fights we will suddenly get crazy lag spikes where we can hardly do anything. Usually this issue will stop when we reboot the router and the modem however sometimes that isn't the case. Normally I would say hardware is faulty on my end but it is pretty consistent. Also my house is only 4 years old so new wiring, New modem, New cisco router, and I'm playing on a m14x alienware.

With all the tweaking I've been doing to my wireless network and recently did a few upgrades to my pc. I am at a loss on this one. I'm a computer technician so as you can guess I generally know what I'm doing but it seems like these issues have risen after patch 5.2.

And yes we had this issue wired in as well. Speedtest.net clocks my network at 5 mbps down and 1 mbps up. This should be more then enough for 2 ventrilo clients and 2 wow clients.
90 Undead Rogue
I've been having lag issue since 5.2 dropped also. Every time I enter Temple of Jade Serpent dungeon, my FPS drops to between 1 and 3 FPS. This is with graphics on lowest possible setting. I'm getting roughly 15-20 FPS in regular questing zones. Something in 5.2 is causing this, because I never had any issues prior to this.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
Support Forum Agent
This thread is over a year old. Please create a new thread with your system information and the issue at hand.

Thanks!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]