Auction House warfare

85 Night Elf Hunter
I have a level one bank alt that I post auctions on. I collect tons of items through questing or dungeon farming, and about every two weeks I put up auctions. I usually put anywhere from 500-2000 auctions, and all different kinds of "products." I do it all by hand, and it takes me HOURS. I wouldn't have it any other way. The gold made feels more rewarding afterwards. :)

People that use AH add-ons obviously have an advantage over me, because of how quickly they can buy my things and repost for more, or undercut me with inhumanly fast speed. I think it's ridiculous. But there's nothing we can do about it. Blizzard has no problems with it at all, and even though it's highly annoying... such is life. (or at least WoW pixel life.)

I still manage to make a few thousand gold, counting that I split all profits with my mother (she often puts things in our guild bank for me to sell for her), and sometimes more depending on the items. You CAN beat the other guys if you're clever. But try not to put auctions so cheap to try and fool a potential "bot" unless it's an item you're willing to see go for that much, because there are many watchful people that will buy any and everything that they or an add-on deems is put up for ridiculously cheap.

I'll never have a gold capped character. But limiting the gold cap per week, Wtfear, wouldn't really help. I can only foresee it causing more issues. :( I feel your pain, though.

"Because everyone should have a fair chance of selling items on the AH. An undercutter who undercuts every 3 minutes (like I'm doing currently to beat this other guy) is preventing other people from making money." -Quoted from Wtfear, I'm a scrub when it comes to forums ><
I wholeheartedly agree that everyone should have a fair chance at it.

Edit: Typo like a pro :(
Edited by Bekkaboo on 4/7/2012 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
thats what happens when you're trying to compete in a flooded market. i got mining engineering and i've been making lots of money mining the last couple weeks (made 10k to get 280 and 310 flying) and haven't stepped foot in any cataclysm content the whole time. theres too many bots and the AH is flooded. the real money is in materials that people for whatever reason are just too lazy to farm (even though its easier to farm than cata materials). TBC ore, primal air/mana, mithril ore etc... all HUGE moneymakers on my realm. theres almost no competition for the nodes while farming, and demand far exceeds supply on the AH, so you dont even have to undercut to get a sale, everything tends to get bought either way.

change your approach.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Mage
04/06/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Wtfear
I'm thinking a weekly limit of 5K per gold (or something like that) should solve this problem or at least let everyone else make some gold. More can be said but the current undercutting situation (as its always been) is wrong.

You already have the ability to make gold selling on the AH. You just don't have the ability to set the prices as high as you wish!

That is a terrible comparison when there is someone spending 24 hours per day in the AH, undercutting everything within seconds. That's not capitalism, that's either someone abusing the system, or someone who has given up on life and has nothing better to do because someone supports them financially.

Are you on 24 hours a day to know the other player is? If not your rant is just exaggerated sour g%!@*s over the fact that someone dares to undercut your prices!
Reply Quote
82 Gnome Warrior
Thanks for the feedback. I have no problem if this person is sitting at the screen posting/cancelling/reposting 20+ hours a day. If he works that hard at it, congratulations, you win. However, if the person can program a bunch of factors into an addon, then AFK for the rest of the day while the add-on posts/cancels/reposts based on a formula, that does not seem to be consistent with the terms of use.

In any case, as I noticed in my original post, this item is a fairly difficult to get pattern. It takes a bit of a grind to earn enough faction rep to learn it. I found what this persons bottom was by reposting. I posted at just above it, and let him sell out (bought a couple myself to resell later). His bottom price was barely profitable.

The person has not relisted in a few days, so I'm back to selling at the regular rate. Already sold his two I bought for a 400% markup. He may make a bit on these, but he has to sell 20+ to make the profit I make on just one. Hopefully, he'll decide that pattern does not have enough profit margin to worry about.

The other one of similar behavior was listing gems. I undercut with one gem, they cancelled and relisted 10. I did it again. Did this several dozen times over several different cuts. They must have spent 100+ gold on relisting fees. Not a big deal, but made me feel better (of course, I spent about 10 gold relisting myself, but was having fun and that is what WOW is all about).

Thanks again for the feedback everyone.

In short, it does sound like there are addons that can do something similar to what I'm seeing, but not really clear yet as to whether you can AFK while it does it. More research needed.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
In short, it does sound like there are addons that can do something similar to what I'm seeing, but not really clear yet as to whether you can AFK while it does it. More research needed.

there are no addons that let you do it while afk. there are however bot programs that do, which are not allowed. I personally dont feel like botting the AH is very common but it is certainly possible.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
thats what happens when you're trying to compete in a flooded market. i got mining engineering and i've been making lots of money mining the last couple weeks (made 10k to get 280 and 310 flying) and haven't stepped foot in any cataclysm content the whole time. theres too many bots and the AH is flooded. the real money is in materials that people for whatever reason are just too lazy to farm (even though its easier to farm than cata materials). TBC ore, primal air/mana, mithril ore etc... all HUGE moneymakers on my realm. theres almost no competition for the nodes while farming, and demand far exceeds supply on the AH, so you dont even have to undercut to get a sale, everything tends to get bought either way.

change your approach.

While recently power leveling BS on this toon I noticed the older ore from TBC and WotLK was stupid expensive, which caused me to take my mining toon out and do it myself. It was not uncommon to see Cobalt, Adamantite, Mithril and the like going for 10g to 15g per ore. That's 200g to 300g per stack!

So if you like to farm go back to northrend and Outland and you can make some money! I am too sick and tired of farming so I'm not.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
What are the steps to deal with undercutters (and being an undercutter ourselves)?
- I click "Check for undercuts".

Can I automatically post and undercut all the cancelled items, with a minimum price so I dont get trolled? That means if he posts it too low, I dont want him to buy my stuff out and repost it.

I cant find any option in Auctionator to set a minimum price. I've watched some videos.
Once I figure this out I'm going to do exactly what they do.

How do you guys do it? Give a short series of steps that you do when you go to the AH and do your "cancel/repost" cycle so we can all know how its done.

Learn how to use the TradeSkillMaster addon. I haven't looked at an actual gem listing in the AH since I started using it. There's no need. I just keep my gem and jewelry supply up and let the addon cancel undercuts and set the prices for new listings. You can set the parameters so you know it won't go too low. It can also suggest when to reset the market back up to a higher price for a given item. It's not the simplest thing to set up, but once you get the hang of it, you'll kick yourself for not using it sooner.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/06/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Wtfear
'm thinking a weekly limit of 5K per gold (or something like that) should solve this problem or at least let everyone else make some gold. More can be said but the current undercutting situation (as its always been) is wrong.
This would do nothing to fix the AH. The problem is not that people cannot make gold on the AH. The problem is that people do not want to.The only thing that would happen would be the AH recalibrating for overall higher prices, because more time means people will require more money before posting. They cannot achieve the economies of scale you see today.On plenty of servers, there are 1-10 (or whatever number) of people who fuel a large chunk of the AH. They didn't push other people out, for the most part(key words being most part). They filled a void in something getting posted.It doesn't matter if you can make 100g on the AH, if on average the stuff you guy is overall 100g more expensive (or 150, or more. economy of scale, again).

I'm also dealing with a level 1 undercutter. It might be an asian bot/gold farmer who knows.
The undercutting situation is just sad. They dont do anything about it.
If you suspect he's a botter, report him. That's completely against the rules. However, be aware that plenty of people mistake someone for a botter, when they just post a lot. Back when i did heavy AHing, i never posted more than 3 times a day. Once mid day between classes, once i logged on for the night, and once before i logged.You would not believe how many people thought i was botting. I would get tons of tells on my extremely small server. The legend is greater than the man.

I wouldn't have it any other way. The gold made feels more rewarding afterwards. :)

People that use AH add-ons obviously have an advantage over me, because of how quickly they can buy my things and repost for more, or undercut me with inhumanly fast speed. I think it's ridiculous

How is it ridiculous because you make your job harder. Blizzard's ui sucks. They're playing perfectly within the rules.

That's like playing basketball with one arm tied behind your back and getting upset at everyone else.
Edited by Arianity on 4/11/2012 8:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]