Classic Servers!!!

90 Human Warlock
I don't see the harm in putting up one classic server to see how it does. Honestly, I'd like the option to revisit vanilla :)
90 Tauren Druid
04/06/2012 02:00 PMPosted by Kraylune
And I don't buy the logistical BS. This idea's been around for years, plenty of time to create some "just-in-case" backups of things (which they no doubt did ANYWAY to prepare for the Cata launch).

I don't doubt that somewhere Blizzard has some sort of "snapshot" backup of the server environment and the client for each major patch. Let's say they took the final patch of Vanilla before 2.0 and BC launched. If you wanted to play on that server, you would have to download that client. You couldn't use your 4.3 client. Then lets say, there are a bunch of bugs with spells and items that were fixed in later patches. Bam, all those bugs would be right back in the game. People would be like, "hey, whats with the cat form range bug?" Then they would want Blizzard to fix it. So now we have Blizzard rooting out and fixing bugs in multiple versions of the game.

Oh but wait, there's more! People will say things like, "I love being on this classic server, but it's so annoying to have to run around with no mount until level 40!" "Why can't we have a classic server where you can still get your mount at level 20?" Or they might say, "I love this classic PVP, but there aren't enough Horde on my server, why can't we have cross server battlegrounds?"

So now you have all these "modern" features being added back into the old version of the game. Making even more work for Blizzard to implement and maintain. And still no one will be happy, because you'll have people who want specific patches. People who want "pre-Naxx" vanilla, or "pre-AQ" vanilla. And then you have to have a separate server for every patch and the population on each of those servers will be miniscule. So why was it that Blizzard was investing all the time and resources into all of that old content again when most players are clamoring for NEW content and expansions?

That's why they should just do Wrath servers at the last Wrath-specific patch. And make it clear upon entry that, short of a major game-disrupting bug (which shouldn't exist at that point!), there will never be updates on those servers. If people wanted new content, they would get new content with the new expansions and current servers. A new client wouldn't be hard, either. They release new clients with every iteration of the PTR and Beta.

This would ALSO potentially solve the problem of new players having to buy so much software to become current. If instead of buying everything, they could just buy V/BC/W and actually find players at their level to play with - and I have no doubts a Wrath server would get players - it would tide them over til they move on to Cata/MoP. Throw in a one-time free character transfer for those *NEW* signups and they'd have a winner to draw people in.

I don't agree with the idea of separate Vanilla/BC/Wrath servers, though. I'd consider the three as parts of a trilogy, I guess. And Cata started a new "trilogy".
90 Blood Elf Paladin
yea, people think this is a dead topic, but it needs to keep getting brought up no matter what blizzard says.
6 years ago, if I had started a topic asking for a panda race in the next Xpac people would have thought I was a retarded 8 year old.
And lots of you will have opinions differing from mine, but the fact remains that millions of people are canceling their subscriptions to this game.
I also don't believe any of you that say that Vanilla and BC sucked...it was obviously fun enough to keep you hooked.
I would have to assume that there around 3 million people that would agree with me on this idea but aren't here to defend it since they separated themselves from this game a year ago or longer.
I also REFUSE to believe that it would take an excessive amount of work to create these servers. I don't care what BS people are making up.
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
04/06/2012 02:11 PMPosted by Cepatore
6 years ago, if I had started a topic asking for a panda race in the next Xpac people would have thought I was a retarded 8 year old.

Actually, people have been asking for that pretty much since launch.

Blizzard never said no to that. They've said no to realms with other codebases. They don't see it as a viable business model. They've seen other companies try it and the evidence is that it's not a viable business model.
85 Gnome Priest
And lots of you will have opinions differing from mine, but the fact remains that millions of people are canceling their subscriptions to this game.

All for different reasons.
I also don't believe any of you that say that Vanilla and BC sucked...it was obviously fun enough to keep you hooked.

So was WotLK, and Cata...
I would have to assume that there around 3 million people that would agree with me on this idea but aren't here to defend it since they separated themselves from this game a year ago or longer.

Assumptions mean nothing.
I also REFUSE to believe that it would take an excessive amount of work to create these servers. I don't care what BS people are making up.

You can apply for a job at Blizzard if you'd like to handle it.
85 Human Mage
Setting up servers for every niche is not practical.
90 Night Elf Priest
Posted by Cepatore
If you ask anyone who has been playing this game since Vanilla, 99% will tell you they had the most fun with the older content.

Nope
85 Night Elf Druid
but the fact remains that millions of people are canceling their subscriptions to this game.

So you have talked to each and every one of those millions of people and got an answer of "This game isn't what it used to be"? That's what I thought.
85 Night Elf Druid
This won't EVER happen, and I'll give you reasons why:

1) You think there are bugs now? It's nothing compared to the bugs that were present in Vanilla / BC.

Now you may say "well they can add a patch to fix them" but if they did that the servers wouldn't be Vanilla or BC servers anymore because they would be altered.

2) People would get bored and leave.

You would either not be able to do something you want to, or you would do it and then complain about no new content. Remember if they added any new content it wouldn't be a Vanilla or BC server anymore because it would be altered.

3) It's not cost effective for Blizzard.

They don't want to spend money on something that won't make them money. They could charge extra each month to play them but then the QQ would start about removing the extra fee to play it.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/06/2012 02:00 PMPosted by Kraylune
So now you have all these "modern" features being added back into the old version of the game. Making even more work for Blizzard to implement and maintain. And still no one will be happy, because you'll have people who want specific patches. People who want "pre-Naxx" vanilla, or "pre-AQ" vanilla. And then you have to have a separate server for every patch and the population on each of those servers will be miniscule. So why was it that Blizzard was investing all the time and resources into all of that old content again when most players are clamoring for NEW content and expansions?

Adding modern features to old content would not be difficult. They already have all the information and code, they only need to implement it(as far as bug fixes)
the rest of that stuff(such as lower level mounts and cross server BGs) will get ignored because Blizzard catered to the lazy casual players with badge gear and pug finders and those are the things that ruined the game. Blizzard needs to realize that even though people cry about some aspects of the game not being "convenient," people will hate it for being too easy.

If Blizzard wants a player to be able to play the game for a total of 30 hours and get full end game epics and kill the final boss, then maybe they should just release a single player Warcraft on Xbox...
90 Gnome Rogue
04/06/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Martouff
I'd probably focus on PvP if these servers came around.

You and a lot of other people. Then you'd all complain that it's not balanced. Then you'd quit because they won't balance PvP on the xpack capped servers. Then Blizzard would have wasted a lot of time trying to please the un-pleaseable..

Who said I'd complain? I bet I, and many other people, will understand that these are servers that are based on WoW's PAST, and will expect these unbalances and accept them rather than complain about it.

I honestly doubt people would complain, because, as I said, they probably go to these servers expecting older stuff, not updated stuff full of balanced things.
85 Human Rogue
Why are there no classic servers?
If you ask anyone who has been playing this game since Vanilla, 99% will tell you they had the most fun with the older content. Seeing as how millions of people have recently been cancelling their subscriptions due to the general "nerfing" of the entire game, I would have thought Blizzard would jump on the classic servers idea a long time ago. After MoP comes out, and 50% of players 18+ y/o quit, are they really gunna let all that money walk out the door?
Come on Blizzard! Make servers for old expansions so you can please your subscribers and line your pockets.

If they did it, within days people would be complaining again. half that "fun" is nostalgia filters.
90 Tauren Druid

1) You think there are bugs now? It's nothing compared to the bugs that were present in Vanilla / BC.

Now you may say "well they can add a patch to fix them" but if they did that the servers wouldn't be Vanilla or BC servers anymore because they would be altered.

You would either not be able to do something you want to, or you would do it and then complain about no new content. Remember if they added any new content it wouldn't be a Vanilla or BC server anymore because it would be altered.

Addressed #1 in my last post, and #2 is a red herring, that already happens now. Nostalgia servers would just be like switching from non-RP to RP. It'd be niche.

3) It's not cost effective for Blizzard.

They don't want to spend money on something that won't make them money. They could charge extra each month to play them but then the QQ would start about removing the extra fee to play it.

It wouldn't cost them any more than a regular server does - some of which are ALREADY underpopulated and still running. And it wouldn't require any dev time, short of a major game-killing bug.
04/06/2012 01:39 PMPosted by Faizaniel
I guess I'm in that 1% too. Did I have fun in vanilla WoW? Heck yes! Was it because the content and gameplay was better than it was today? Definitely not. All my nostalgia for Vanilla has to do with WoW being new and shiny and the people I played with at the time. Vanilla wasn't intrinsically a better game and it would not hold up under the standards of modern gamers.

I agree with this. While vanilla WoW was fun, the current game is a whole lot better than it was back then. I would not want to go back.

As you can see from my achieve record, I try to suck the juice dry...... been playing WoW since Mid Beta and have ten 85s....... and I totally agree with this. 1%er, you bet.
85 Gnome Priest
Who said I'd complain? I bet I, and many other people, will understand that these are servers that are based on WoW's PAST, and will expect these unbalances and accept them rather than complain about it.

I honestly doubt people would complain, because, as I said, they probably go to these servers expecting older stuff, not updated stuff full of balanced things.

People complain about everything. If you doubt that people will complain, you haven't spent much time around these forums.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/06/2012 02:18 PMPosted by Martouff

All for different reasons.

So was WotLK, and Cata...

my whole point is that Cataclysm ISNT good enough to keep players hooked. you suggest that players leave for different reasons...you think that about 15% of the game population near simultaneously left for a whole rainbow of possible reasons?
85 Night Elf Druid

Addressed #1 in my last post, and #2 is a red herring, that already happens now. Nostalgia servers would just be like switching from non-RP to RP. It'd be niche.

Clearly you didn't read my post in full, as I said, YOU CAN'T ADD A PATCH TO FIX, ADD OR REMOVE ANYTHING BECAUSE THEN IT IS NOT A CLASSIC SERVER!
90 Tauren Druid

Clearly you didn't read my post in full, as I said, YOU CAN'T ADD A PATCH TO FIX, ADD OR REMOVE ANYTHING BECAUSE THEN IT IS NOT A CLASSIC SERVER!

From my last post, which I referred you to:

That's why they should just do Wrath servers at the last Wrath-specific patch. And make it clear upon entry that, short of a major game-disrupting bug (which shouldn't exist at that point!), there will never be updates on those servers. If people wanted new content, they would get new content with the new expansions and current servers.
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Warrior
04/06/2012 02:35 PMPosted by Casmavara
YOU CAN'T ADD A PATCH TO FIX, ADD OR REMOVE ANYTHING BECAUSE THEN IT IS NOT A CLASSIC SERVER!

The original WoW had what... eleven patches?

You're not making sense here.
85 Night Elf Druid

my whole point is that Cataclysm ISNT good enough to keep players hooked. you suggest that players leave for different reasons...you think that about 15% of the game population near simultaneously left for a whole rainbow of possible reasons?

Well considering WoW got banned in China, that's where a lot of the sub losses came from. As for American players, we are in a recession so money is tight for some people and perhaps they can't pay their subscription anymore. Furthermore, to continue to say that "people are leaving because of X" is not only misinformed but just a feeble attack to get what you want (classic servers).
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]