agility vs stam

90 Tauren Druid
what are the benefits and cons of stacking each?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
For stam pros are: more hp, more healing done from FR, alot more vengeance. There's more I just can't think of them atm.
Stam cons: less ap in cat form, stats are going to have to be reforged to make up.(unless your pve tank then it should be all dogde anyways)
I leave agl up for someone else to comment on.
If your asking for pve tanking reasons. Stam is really good for bear for of course more hp and the vengeance you'll get more ap thro stacking stam then stacking agl. Same dps if not more. Plus if you have the 4 pc set stam stacking is amazing to help out healers cuz of FR. Lots of raid healing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Stam = mana sponge

Agi = not a mana sponge
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Stam = you live in heroic Agi = you die in heroics
to a degree anyway.. i have 201k unbuffed in bear i think ill get hit kinda hard in the next few bosses.. so ima gem a little more stam :) otherwise i gem agi to fill in
Edited by Guenhwyvarr on 4/6/2012 11:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
04/06/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Guenhwyvarr
Stam = you live in heroic Agi = you die in heroics

Not really...

Stam gives more health.
Agility gives crit, dodge, and Cat AP.
Both are roughly equal for Bear AP.

It really comes down to stam if you need health, otherwise agility. Not any more complicated than that.
As the DS nerf creeps up, those situations where you need health are becoming fewer and fewer, but if they show up, by all means, get some stam.
Edited by Ahanss on 4/7/2012 12:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The only good thing about agl stack is you get some dogde with is
1 Agi = 0.0041054% Dodge (0.0043106%) 243.58 Agi = 1% Dodge. So basically almost nothing. If you think you need that 1% just get a hybrid gem.
So clearly stam is better for heroic DS, then its also better for norm raids.
Edited by Vladimpaler on 4/7/2012 2:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Stam = mana sponge

Agi = not a mana sponge

If you say so even though this is an exaggeration and I'm pretty sure in MoP stamina will be more useful considering Frenzied regen will now heal for 30% up front.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Stam = mana sponge

Agi = not a mana sponge

If you say so even though this is an exaggeration and I'm pretty sure in MoP stamina will be more useful considering Frenzied regen will now heal for 30% up front.

It was a small exaggeration but it's moderately true most of the time. If you really need more health for a specific encounter you can just swap some trinkets.

Gemming for Stamina over Agility (other than Meta) is just not smart in my opinion.

Also I'm sure the OP is referring to game as it is now and not what it might be in MoP.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
Stam = mana sponge

Agi = not a mana sponge

No that's pretty much what healers call stam tanks.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

No that's pretty much what healers call stam tanks.

So what does a paladin gem for when they are mastery capped. A mana sponge means something is hard to heal or waste all your mana. Having a lot of health doesn't always mean the healer's mana will get burned, which is why I said it was an exaggeration. Lets not forget stamina can be more forgiving on screw ups and much 100% more beneficial when it comes to magical abilities. Point is I don't think there's a clear cut winner, they both have their uses.
Edited by Nightsbane on 4/7/2012 11:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Until you can get your hands on current heroic gear stack agi, i have started stacking more stam as i have enough dodge.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

Stam = you live in heroic
Agi = you die in heroics
to a degree anyway.. i have 201k unbuffed in bear i think ill get hit kinda hard in the next few bosses.. so ima gem a little more stam :) otherwise i gem agi to fill in
100% not true. i stack ago and I'm 5/8 heroic. blackthorn hits for peanuts also.

the only thing stan is good for is if you are dying with lower gear throw some stam in there. but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go for a stam trinket first before you resort to stacking stam gems
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Stam = you live in heroic
Agi = you die in heroics
100% not true. i stack ago and I'm 5/8 heroic. blackthorn hits for peanuts also.

the only thing stan is good for is if you are dying with lower gear throw some stam in there. but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS go for a stam trinket first before you resort to stacking stam gems

Hopfully my math is close. You have around 640 agl in gems only so your getting alittle under 2% crit and around 2.5% dogde from agl gems. If you replaced the alg with stam gems the 640 stam would give you between 18k to 23k Hp in bear. For the dogde your getting you can easy get that thro 1 or 2 hybrids. The dps you pull as a tank will be the same with both stacks.
So really if you go agl you'll get crit(not really needed as tank) but 20kish less hp.
If you go stam with 2 dogde hybrids you'll get more HP and more healing done thro Fr. Other then that everythings the same. My thoughts is stams better.
As of the heroic raids go it just depends on your healing set up. If you have a disc priest sheilding you. You can get away with agl. If you have sayyyy. Resto sham and 2 resto druids(is what my guild runs) stams better. Its all bout your healing set up and your preference
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Are you seriously saying TWO dodge hybrid gems (read: 50 dodge rating) is worth as much dodge as 640 agility?

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Are you seriously saying TWO dodge hybrid gems (read: 50 dodge rating) is worth as much dodge as 640 agility?

Takes around 160 dodge for 1%. So. I was mistaken in my original post. The point is its not enough to worrie about. But nothing else I said was wrong so how bout you lay off my nuts and go nerd rage somewhere else. Your unnessary flaming isn't needed.
P.S. if you knew wtf you where talking about why didn't you correct me. Instead of attacking someone trying to help. Oh and btw pro nice reforging everything to mastery maybe you should read something and learn you should be reforging to dodge. http://www.ferociousinspiration.net/2011/03/feral-tanking-understanding-dodge-vs.html?m=1
other then that I'm pretty sure I've made my point with the math to prove it. So no need to waste any more time on this thread so when you get back to make sure you come up with something good. Maybe a good rage :)
Edited by Vladimpaler on 4/8/2012 12:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
How is crit not needed as a tank? It triggers Savage Defense. Agility also gives you attack power which increases the size of your Savage Defense bubble.

Yes stam also gives attack power through Vengeance but Agility gives more AP per point than Stamina even with a full vengeance stack.

Stamina is not worthless but you should acquire it naturally and not try to force it through gems/enchants.
Edited by Sirah on 4/8/2012 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Stamina creates survival mostly in the numerator of this

health / (dps - mitigation)

dodge% goes in the denominator, thus move asymptotically (hence it has a DR)

dodge% will open up windows to receive heals, it is the opposite of being Bursted

Dodge% ignores the amount of damage you are hit with, thus scales with harder hitting mobs,
conversely Mastery/stamina have a weakening effect as the monsters hit grows in strength

Dodge% is always on (considering your positioning), mastery (from stamina) is hit/crit based

the general theory is to stack stamina enough to take 5 seconds of un avoided DPS...ultimately if you can be 3 shotted, eventually you will be. Stamina stack to prepare for this contingency of 5 seconds, after that.. all avoidance% to save your healers mana (and lower their threat)
Edited by Korba on 4/8/2012 12:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Takes around 160 dodge for 1%. So. I was mistaken in my original post. The point is its not enough to worrie about. But nothing else I said was wrong so how bout you lay off my nuts and go nerd rage somewhere else. Your unnessary flaming isn't needed.
P.S. if you knew wtf you where talking about why didn't you correct me. Instead of attacking someone trying to help. Oh and btw pro nice reforging everything to mastery maybe you should read something and learn you should be reforging to dodge. http://www.ferociousinspiration.net/2011/03/feral-tanking-understanding-dodge-vs.html?m=1
other then that I'm pretty sure I've made my point with the math to prove it. So no need to waste any more time on this thread so when you get back to make sure you come up with something good. Maybe a good rage :)

You make baby Jesus very sad. :*(
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Oh and btw pro nice reforging everything to mastery maybe you should read something and learn you should be reforging to dodge. http://www.ferociousinspiration.net/2011/03/feral-tanking-understanding-dodge-vs.html?m=1)

I think you need to understand a bit about hybrid tanking.
Edited by Reesi on 4/8/2012 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]