unholy vs frost DK

86 Blood Elf Death Knight
Im very confused on which to play. I heard frost have better and bigger crits but unholy is better all around for pvp. Also i heard 2H frost is not a good choice? Can someone clear this up for me? which spec is better? PVP and PVE. thanks :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
2H Frost is better in PvP.
DW Frost is better in PvE, but only slightly.

Unholy for Arenas, due to utility and survivability.
Frost for BG's, due to burst and AoE.

If played right, Unholy is generally better than Frost in PvE, but Frost is much easier. Also, there is a different stle of Frost called Masterfrost which provides a good DPS increase as Frost, but, if not done correctly, it leads to a major DPS loss.

Difficulty: Masterfrost > Unholy > Frost
PvE Output: Unholy > Masterfrost > Frost
Reply Quote
1 Undead Hunter

If played right, Unholy is generally better than Frost in PvE, but Frost is much easier. Also, there is a different stle of Frost called Masterfrost which provides a good DPS increase as Frost, but, if not done correctly, it leads to a major DPS loss.

Frost is fine for arenas as well, even better in comps like triple dps. Unholy and frost are both within same dps area that you can go either way, which ever you prefer to play with. http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Overall_DPS/25H/100/14/60/default/. If you have a better 2h then you do 1h's then go unholy, if you have better 1h's then go dw frost. If you have equal weapons then you can go which ever you prefer, you'll still be able to get a raid spot if you're frost despite unholy being slightly ahead.
Edited by Rickjamesbtc on 4/8/2012 6:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Masterfrost IS the best DPS for DK's.

However, if you mess up once or dont time anything perfect you will look stupid.

Some DK's also roll with DW Nokaleds for masterfrost because of the proc. This is not recommended if it is your first time trying it out.

Unholy/Haste Frost are completely your choice and are generally viewed as equal specs.

If you don't see yourself raiding for world ranking then don't even try masterfrost. You can if you want to but it would most likely be for personal gain.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
04/08/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Zooties

Actually unholy has the top parse between the two specs on 7/8 heroic 25 Dragon Soul encounters. And if you mess up the masterfrost rotation once you will "look stupid?" you clearly have little to no experience with the spec in a real raid setting so stop spreading misinformation.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Death Knight
Thanks everyone for your input means alot. im just gonna duel spec and play which one i like most :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight

if you know anything about pvp you'll realize how stupid this is.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

I disagree with this.

Unholy and DW Frost are pretty even in 10man Heroics weather its Hastefrost or Masterfrost builds. Now Frost and Unholy both have there advantages and disadvantages along with RNG issues.

The player behind the Computer can also play a roll in Min-Maxing DPS as well, on executing the rotation and timing of procs etc. If your guild isn't big on having specific buffs each spec brings then play what your feel your more comfortable with.

I have no information for PvP.
Edited by Kablanka on 4/9/2012 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Tauren Warrior
unholy because unholy is more important in groups they are good for getting ads and if your doing pvp or arenas the minion will help you and the team get more kills and stuff and unholy can kill anybody with there minion at lvl 85 i feel like im unstoppable and with my dk i have more fun with unholy
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Frost has more dependency than Unholy on RNG, and in my opinion Unholy has a steadier output.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
play the spec you enjoy to be honest they both can pull the same numbers i used to play frost but i found an enjoyment with unholy
Edited by Valkriedk on 4/9/2012 8:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Take sparses with a grain of salt. Some where Unholy is much higher over a frost is rng in and of it'self due to Gurth's procs. That weapon alone can make it far outweigh a frost but overall dw frost is more versatile in the fights and their Mechanics. An Unholy is just as vulnerable to RNG thanks to using Gurth as Frost is hoping for proc timing. Both can be screwed up pretty heavily though. Enough so that people will think you're a god if you're competent.

P.S. Unless Gurth procs a lot? DW FRost wins for add swaps. When those Unholy Death Knights are using a weapon proc that can add up to over a millions based on RNG? I don't think we can count that as a them being stronger in 7/8 just cause of a weapon.
Edited by Tor on 4/10/2012 10:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Unholy is still a bit more on the utility end of it and definitley a more predictable rotation. Personally I play frost on my DK when she isn't tanking and Probably enjoy it more than Unholy because Im not really a pet class kind of guy.
Reply Quote
82 Night Elf Druid
Where can u find good 1 handed at 85? none seem to ever drop...and nothing is on the AH on my server
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]