War College - Alterac Valley

(Locked)

100 Night Elf Hunter
For alliance, all you need to do is skip galv cause horde love to turtle at gav, cap rh ( leave frostwolf gy alone for the moment) Cap east and west towers, wait til they burn then kill drek. For horde its easier, van is so much easier than drek, just zerg the chump.
90 Blood Elf Mage
Truth be told. the true way to win an alterac valley is to start the game with a long speach like in the movies lol, then when you feel to lazy to rush, turtle, i find 30-40 people in 1 small room facerolling allie very amusing ;)
85 Dwarf Warrior
the trick is to kill all the boss other then the last one so there reforcments are realy low.
85 Human Rogue
(for allaince mostly)my tip is for rogues and Druids to stealth past and cap relief hut and gv works everytime for me being a rogue
90 Tauren Paladin
Blizzard finally opens their ears for AV feedback! Fine I'll bite:

-The bridge up north suitable for Ele shaman/Boomkin banzai squads knocking over players with their knockbacks, annoying, but effective, can contantly make the other team bleed tickets.

-When losing a big skirmish, climb up the nearest tower, should buy you more time to annoy hold back the opposing team I.E. hunter traps/totems/fear bombs.

-AV hearthstones need to be more accessible, the ones that spawn you in front of your generals keep, a synched warp assault can take the other team by surprise and push the attackers out.

-The closed terrain between IB GY and IB tower, suitable for stopping parties attempting to rush past.

-The Keep NPCs, those darned fellows, I haven't seen a game where not a single npc group is not pulled, often escalating to the entire area aggroing; alliance players can simply skip thru the horde ones, but smart horde players know luring others into them could be a rewarding move.

-Death grip is on great demand on the map, from pulling players from hills and towers to pulling them next to an opposing teams General, resulting on instant death.

-Filthy boomkins and shamans knockback players from tower fortifications, such on great demand.

-For some reason a minority of Horde players don't like Snowfall to be capped, blizzard should rectify on this.

-The new Darkmoon rewards can be annoying to get during AV, A lot of people don't have time to loot, and those that do it's counter productive for them to go around looting bodies for them.

The NPC patrols can only be bothersome for single players, they pose no threat for roaming parties, these groups could have more mobs on them to pose some challenge.
70 Undead Rogue
Rush to end. Ignore all enemy. Kill boss.

Then guess what you do?

YOU DO IT AGAIN! YAY!

Thanks again for gutting what used to be an epic battleground Bliz!
100 Human Warlock
This week, the topic of discussion is:

Alterac Valley - Which strategies are most effective in this battleground for your faction? What tips, tricks and tactics have you discovered? What common mistakes have you witnessed?

Strategy? Alterac Valley? You must be joking. You removed all the strategy when you nerfed it into a perpetual zerg-fest.
29 Human Mage
I miss Ivus. Nothing was more epic than guarding the druids on their march to the field of strife to summon him, then watching people scatter when the big guy arrived. I doubt anyone that started in Wotlk or Cata has even seen him...or horde's rock dude. I forget its name...

Anyway, best stategy for AV is putting about 8 guards in a tower till it burns, capping gys on the way south (fwgy should be the last one capped, not rh), and having 5-10 players at least attempt backcaps on Horde while this is going on.

However, an organized zerg with multiple geared tanks is instant win on either side and throws strategy out the window.

Just want to say I'm a Wrath baby and I saw Ivus once. Wasn't even a pre-made--just a random pug. It was going on and on and we somehow got enough turn ins. Was quite epic.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
My guild just runned a few premade AVs this weekend, and we got to summon Lok:

http://tinypic.com/r/rwqh44/5

http://tinypic.com/r/91mdk9/5

It was SO MUCH FUN, I wonder the alliane thinking "WTF?! They really did it?"

Hahahahahaha. Too bad we got too excited messing around with Lok and didn't recapped. Yeah, we lost.

Anyway, I think the most GUARANTEED strategy to win is everybody defend Galv, have 5-10 to recap and push them all the way back to their base.Of course it will take like 40min, but everytime my guild does that, we win.
Edited by Warshade on 4/8/2012 10:02 PM PDT
88 Tauren Warrior
Peeling the Onion
The How-to Guide On Dismantling the Stormpike
-By Drek'Thar

Within these pages you will find a wealth of knowledge on battle tactics and politics. The learned soldier is the soldier that leans on the shoulder of experience. Let this book serve as a guide in your battle for Alterac Valley.

Chapter 1 - The Front Line

Dismantling the Stormpike army is very much like peeling an onion. To get to the core, you must start by removing the outermost layers.

The front lines, comprised mostly of Stormpike Mountaineers and Alliance Sentinels, are tied to the Captain's bunker. It is Captain Balinda Stonehearth who empowers these units and provides for reinforcements when the lines are under siege. Strike at the Captain and the front line forces will crumble.

Chapter 2 - The Twin Towers

Make no mistake; Vanndar Stormpike is a cunning foe and certainly no fool. Once the front line has been breached, the secondary defensive targets must still be destroyed. It is the twin towers of Stonehearth and Icewing which control the Stormpike Guardsmen outside of Dun Baldar and the Stormpike patrols. Beware, soldier, as both of these towers are heavily fortified and ruled over by one of Vanndar's elite Commanders. Should your forces breach the fortifications, make certain that the Commander within has been ... silenced. This too will be part of the dismantling of the Stormpike.

Chapter 3 - The Four Commanders

The third layer of the Stormpike onion is comprised of the four Commanders. In this respect, Vanndar has mimicked our own glorious Frostwolf defenses. Of course he will tell you otherwise... But I digress.

The four Commanders control the ebb and flow of the Stormpike Guardsmen that fiercely guard Dun Baldar. Silence them all and the Stormpike Guardsmen will fall.

Then there is but one layer left to peel.

Chapter 4 - The Dun Baldar Bunkers

As you have undoubtedly noticed, the Stormpike defensive layers are in place to prevent one mighty power move from dismantling the entire army. Before you ask, yes, this is exactly how our own forces are setup and no, I will not change our defensive structure. They copied us, why should we have to change? Where was I? Yes, so, the Dun Baldar bunkers (which are located in Dun Baldar) control the Stormpike Defenders - Vanndar's most trusted and elite guard units. Destroy those two towers and the reinforcements sent to aid Vanndar will cease to exist.

Epilogue

After having done all of this, you are left with the center of the onion: The sweet core. Vanndar Stormpike will be left defenseless and alone. Rules of military conduct require that we ask for his surrender before carrying out any executions. Be sure to mention the surrender thing when you see him... then kill him.
100 Worgen Druid
Peeling the Onion
-By Drek'Thar

Within these pages you will find a wealth of knowledge on battle tactics and politics. The learned soldier is the soldier that leans on the shoulder of experience. Let this book serve as a guide in your battle for Alterac Valley.

Chapter 1 - The Front Line

Dismantling the Stormpike army is very much like peeling an onion. To get to the core, you must start by removing the outermost layers.

The front lines, comprised mostly of Stormpike Mountaineers and Alliance Sentinels, are tied to the Captain's bunker. It is Captain Balinda Stonehearth who empowers these units and provides for reinforcements when the lines are under siege. Strike at the Captain and the front line forces will crumble.

Chapter 2 - The Twin Towers

Make no mistake; Vanndar Stormpike is a cunning foe and certainly no fool. Once the front line has been breached, the secondary defensive targets must still be destroyed. It is the twin towers of Stonehearth and Icewing which control the Stormpike Guardsmen outside of Dun Baldar and the Stormpike patrols. Beware, soldier, as both of these towers are heavily fortified and ruled over by one of Vanndar's elite Commanders. Should your forces breach the fortifications, make certain that the Commander within has been ... silenced. This too will be part of the dismantling of the Stormpike.

Chapter 3 - The Four Commanders

The third layer of the Stormpike onion is comprised of the four Commanders. In this respect, Vanndar has mimicked our own glorious Frostwolf defenses. Of course he will tell you otherwise... But I digress.

The four Commanders control the ebb and flow of the Stormpike Guardsmen that fiercely guard Dun Baldar. Silence them all and the Stormpike Guardsmen will fall.

Then there is but one layer left to peel.

Chapter 4 - The Dun Baldar Bunkers

As you have undoubtedly noticed, the Stormpike defensive layers are in place to prevent one mighty power move from dismantling the entire army. Before you ask, yes, this is exactly how our own forces are setup and no, I will not change our defensive structure. They copied us, why should we have to change? Where was I? Yes, so, the Dun Baldar bunkers (which are located in Dun Baldar) control the Stormpike Defenders - Vanndar's most trusted and elite guard units. Destroy those two towers and the reinforcements sent to aid Vanndar will cease to exist.

Epilogue

After having done all of this, you are left with the center of the onion: The sweet core. Vanndar Stormpike will be left defenseless and alone. Rules of military conduct require that we ask for his surrender before carrying out any executions. Be sure to mention the surrender thing when you see him... then kill him.

Oh no, the horde scouts have found our top secret information!

bah, I thought that was the tales of stormpike glory, but still!
Edited by Verouille on 4/9/2012 12:28 AM PDT
100 Undead Priest
please update the mobs to character level so its not just a zergfest and people actually use strategy on the map please. For some reason - the mindless zergfest yields an alliance win 9/10 as they have an easier time getting to the end towers
Edited by Dorganah on 4/8/2012 11:21 PM PDT
90 Human Priest
Since they took out AV marks ALONG TIME AGO... AV should go back the way it was... OLD SCHOOL. Screw WSG, AB, TP, BfG, Strand and MOST DEF BLIZZARDS WORSE BG EVER... IoC. Go back oldschool AV. That was true PvP... Not none of this go from one side to the other in under 3mins for quick honor. Take the fun out of PvPing. If PvP like this new AV crap isn't fixed... people will leave for serious PvP games that offer PvE as well like Guild Wars 2. I been playing since launch and I know everything needed to know about the BG's and their history.

Blizzard... Its time for a change. MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
90 Human Priest
Ya i remember that book ingame... To bad thats Old School AV.... this New crap would be

Peeling the Onion
-By Drek'Thar

Chapter 1

Zerg Van.

Yes its thats simple newb now get to zerging!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]