War College - Alterac Valley

(Locked)

90 Human Paladin
aus
04/04/2012 10:54 PMPosted by Jetblack
BE ALLIANCE. /Thread.

18 wins a row as horde in TBC. 60-80% win rate as horde in classic on Blackrock.

Its only the last year that horde have decided to stop playing for the win.
85 Undead Death Knight
04/04/2012 07:41 PMPosted by Charax
1. Avoid enemy - no point in any PvPing

Thats truely how you win by zerg and 49/50 times, but thats why AV is boring now unlike Vanilla and BC. =/
90 Human Paladin
equip pve gear, send most of team to the opposing base while a few people kill galv and tag both towers. the rest of the team burns down the two towers in the base and then zergs down the boss guy immediately after they burn. victory for alliance.

the horde does pretty much the same thing. it's not really pvp at all, you just kind of run to the end and base-race.
85 Undead Death Knight
My strategy (of course it requires cooperation here):

1) Back cap. Horde, please...back cap. Rarely, very very rarely does zerging win in AV. Back cap, defend win.

2) Stealthers, go to the 2 bunkers at the Alliance base. Go in teams. When I'm on my rogue I make a B-line for the towers.

3) Run interference. This is going to sound crazy but it applies to both factions. A small team to mess with enemy players as they try to advance can slow the opposition to a crawl.

4) Defend Galv. I can't stress this enough. It will annoy the life out of the Alliance. If they can't kill him on a first run and Bel is already slaughtered by us. Plus it gives our stealthers ample time to get to the bunkers.

5) Graveyards. Don't cap snow fall. DO...NOT...CAP...SNOW FALL.

Thats my 2 cents.
85 Undead Death Knight
Revert back to classic AVs
Remove it from the random queue so people can't complain about 3-4 hour AVs

or

Leave AV the way it is but introduce "Classic AV" as a possible queue option. Let those people who miss the old AV queue for that.

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
90 Orc Hunter
For horde, camp Galv, bottle neck at IBGY, recap towers, roll up allies in mid, ninja cap towers. And enjoy your victory.

Edit: why are the war colleges never posted on the pvp forums?

Best thing said in this thread ..
95 % win unless someone Caps SNOWFALL GRAVEYARD
you will then get ALL allys defending(cuz they ress there) the only way to win if this happens
stack in Bunkers one at a time or will take 30+mins ......and still lose

NEVER CAP SNOWFALL GY ...sometimes allys leave it Grey on purpose !

NEVER CAP SNOWFALL GY
I always /facepalm when people say this. IF YOU HAVE NO DEFENSE THEN LETTING THE ALLY HAVE SF IS BAD MKAY.

And nowdays, you NEVER have def.
90 Human Paladin
My strategy (of course it requires cooperation here):

1) Back cap. Horde, please...back cap. Rarely, very very rarely does zerging win in AV. Back cap, defend win.

2) Stealthers, go to the 2 bunkers at the Alliance base. Go in teams. When I'm on my rogue I make a B-line for the towers.

3) Run interference. This is going to sound crazy but it applies to both factions. A small team to mess with enemy players as they try to advance can slow the opposition to a crawl.

4) Defend Galv. I can't stress this enough. It will annoy the life out of the Alliance. If they can't kill him on a first run and Bel is already slaughtered by us. Plus it gives our stealthers ample time to get to the bunkers.

5) Graveyards. Don't cap snow fall. DO...NOT...CAP...SNOW FALL.

Thats my 2 cents.

this also. there is some strategy here, but most wins depend on the other team being so wretched and disorganized that just rushing their base usually nets a win. either that or the horde wipe the allies at galv and farm for 20 minutes until the allies run out fo resources. ;p

i honestly don't know why they still have this bg in the pool, it's a shadow of the epic battle they originally envisioned and it doesn't really work well, considering the best strats are to rush and then send a strike team back to harass/back-cap. it's just silly and the only things it's really good for is if you're on an under-geared alt and you're farming honor.
90 Orc Rogue
1. Roll alliance. Call to arms weekend they win 2/3 of the time because honor is so good even for a loss, everyone just straight zergs most of the time. Horde wins the zerg when alliance are slow.

2. The team to back cap IWB/SHB or IBT/TP has a good advantage.

3. If the enemy team has no graveyards, remember they are going to be spawning all the way back at their base and this tends to make it more enticing for them to play actual defense and wipe your offense. Let them take Snowfall to avoid this.

4. Send Rogues and ferals to the end towers and graveyards. Always try to ninja the graveyard cap first because once you get to a bunker and cap it, you dont want to leave. Also this prevents enemy spawning right next to you.

5. There is nothing worse than having your zerg team getting wiped at Balinda/Galv. This makes the opposing team spawn all the way back at the nearest graveyard and can cripple a team right away. Remember it doesnt take more than 5 or 6 players to kill Balinda/Galv.

6. Premades. Premades. Premades.

7. The boss can be killed EASILY with a geared tank and a few coordinated healers with 2 towers still up. Who knew? (You see a lot more of this on Call to Arms weekend)
Edited by Pwntality on 4/4/2012 11:32 PM PDT
90 Orc Hunter
Horde: Peeling the Onion.
Peeling the Onion
The How-to Guide On Dismantling the Stormpike
-By Drek'Thar

Within these pages you will find a wealth of knowledge on battle tactics and politics. The learned soldier is the soldier that leans on the shoulder of experience. Let this book serve as a guide in your battle for Alterac Valley.

Chapter 1 - The Front Line
Dismantling the Stormpike army is very much like peeling an onion. To get to the core, you must start by removing the outermost layers.
The front lines, comprised mostly of Stormpike Mountaineers and Alliance Sentinels, are tied to the Captain's bunker. It is Captain Balinda Stonehearth who empowers these units and provides for reinforcements when the lines are under siege. Strike at the Captain and the front line forces will crumble.

Chapter 2 - The Twin Towers
Make no mistake; Vanndar Stormpike is a cunning foe and certainly no fool. Once the front line has been breached, the secondary defensive targets must still be destroyed. It is the twin towers of Stonehearth and Icewing which control the Stormpike Guardsmen outside of Dun Baldar and the Stormpike patrols.
Beware, soldier, as both of these towers are heavily fortified and ruled over by one of Vanndar's elite Commanders. Should your forces breach the fortifications, make certain that the Commander within has been ... silenced. This too will be part of the dismantling of the Stormpike.

Chapter 3 - The Four Commanders
The third layer of the Stormpike onion is comprised of the four Commanders. In this respect, Vanndar has mimicked our own glorious Frostwolf defenses. Of course he will tell you otherwise... But I digress.
The four Commanders control the ebb and flow of the Stormpike Guardsmen that fiercely guard Dun Baldar. Silence them all and the Stormpike Guardsmen will fall.
Then there is but one layer left to peel.

Chapter 4 - The Dun Baldar Bunkers
As you have undoubtedly noticed, the Stormpike defensive layers are in place to prevent one mighty power move from dismantling the entire army. Before you ask, yes, this is exactly how our own forces are setup and no, I will not change our defensive structure. They copied us, why should we have to change?
Where was I? Yes, so, the Dun Baldar bunkers (which are located in Dun Baldar) control the Stormpike Defenders - Vanndar's most trusted and elite guard units. Destroy those two towers and the reinforcements sent to aid Vanndar will cease to exist.

Epilogue
After having done all of this, you are left with the center of the onion: The sweet core. Vanndar Stormpike will be left defenseless and alone. Rules of military conduct require that we ask for his surrender before carrying out any executions. Be sure to mention the surrender thing when you see him... then kill him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alliance: The Frostwolf Artichoke
The Frostwolf Artichoke: Tales of Stormpike Glory
-By Vanndar Stormpike

What is Frostwolf? The answer is simple: The Frostwolf are savages trying to halt our sovereign imperialistic imperative.
Much like an artichoke, the Frostwolf have a prickly, shielded set of defenses and much like an artichoke, once the outer layer is peeled away, the heart is exposed, ready to be eaten with a fine garlic dip.
Delicious!

Chapter 1 - The Front Line
The front lines of the Frostwolf defenses are comprised of Frostwolf Warriors. The warriors are deployed to the front lines from Captain Galvangar's fortress: Iceblood Garrison. The most efficient manner in which to take out this layer of the defenses is to destroy Iceblood Garrison.
Lay siege to the fortress and destroy Captain Galvangar. Once this is done, the front lines will crumble.

Chapter 2 - Iceblood and Tower Point
Once the first layer is down, the second layer of the 'artichoke' will be exposed. Destroying the Frostwolf towers that sit near the front lines will cripple the Legionnaire and patrols that swarm the rear flank.
The towers are heavily fortified, each housing one of Drek'Thar's elite Commanders. They must be killed. This will expedite the dismantling of the Frostwolf defenses.

Chapter 3 - The Four Commanders
If you have been following the wisdom of this guide, then by now, two of Drek'Thar's Commanders are dead. Good work, soldier! Their resolve is already weakening. You must now complete the dissemination of the chain of command by slaying the remaining two commanders.
With all four of the Commanders slain, the Frostwolf Legionnaires that guard Frostwolf Keep will be scattered - left without command. Ripe for the picking!

Chapter 4 - The East and West Frostwolf Towers
There is now only one layer standing between you and victory; Drek'Thar's most trusted and powerful guard units: The Frostwolf Guardians.
The Frostwolf Guardians are sent out from the platoons held in reserve at the east and west Frostwolf towers. Destroy those towers and watch the remaining Frostwolf Guardians flee in shame.

Epilogue
"Smother the heart of the artichoke with garlic butter and mayonnaise. Compliment the meal with an aged, heady ale."
Drek'Thar now stands alone, his two mutts at his side. Capture the Frostwolf Relief Hut to aid in your battle and destroy Drek'Thar. When the General falls, this land will finally turn over to its rightful owner: The Stormpike.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR as I like to call it, "how a once epic PvP experience was gutted in the name of convenience".
85 Goblin Shaman
one thing i have noticed is that noone turns in anything, turning in things could make the difference

Watch your enimes flee in fear as you ice giant is summoned to the feild

taunt you enimes as they struggle agains your Veteran level NPC's

and launch airel assualts that baffle the opposing faction
90 Night Elf Druid
Take down 2 towers and rush Drek. If horde are wasting 45 minutes of everyone's life on a single bg by turtling, it's best to just leave and do something else.

Also, it's common for both teams to win by zerging. It's not true that alliance wins every zerg, not even close. Why in the world they want to waste 45 mins in a bg for the same amount of honor they could have gotten in 8 mins is beyond me. Horde can't maths?
90 Night Elf Druid
As Alliance: Zerg the horde base and win 93% of your games.

Oh please. From what I've experienced, horde wins zergs 50% of the time. They often start on the boss before alliance do because alliance stand outside on the hill, scared to go into drek's room because they might actually...die :o
90 Night Elf Druid
04/04/2012 10:30 PMPosted by Ventross
It's so easy for the alliance to zerg... they can walk right into our camp and take everything with ease....

Both sides are equivalent. Bunkers being open gives advantage to range, towers being closed gives advantage to melee. You can assault either one without killing anything. Alliance takes a lot of damage going into the horde base just as horde get shot at by archers when near the bunkers.

There is no difference.
86 Orc Warrior
Here is a strategy for Blizzard. Bring back Old AV as a seperate BG from New AV and dont put Old AV in the random BG queue. I could litterally get no Honor/achievement from playing Old AV and I would still play it over and over again. Man I hate new AV.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]