prot pvp in mop

80 Worgen Priest
do you think it will be viable? i wana level a prot paladin but not if im gona be useless endgame :(
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Priest
i know its garbage right now, but hows it looking in beta for mop?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
you have no damaging holy power finishers. if you want offense, a tanking spec is not your thing. you should be great running flags and maybe turtling nodes with aoe, but you won't be doing any damage to speak of - as is intended, i suspect.

it's certainly possible, but only for specific things in rated bgs, and certainly not in arenas. if you're going to be doing randoms, get yourself a ret or a holy spec.
Reply Quote
you have no damaging holy power finishers. if you want offense, a tanking spec is not your thing. you should be great running flags and maybe turtling nodes with aoe, but you won't be doing any damage to speak of - as is intended, i suspect.

it's certainly possible, but only for specific things in rated bgs, and certainly not in arenas. if you're going to be doing randoms, get yourself a ret or a holy spec.

Question is, how well can we do those things? Right now, prot paladins are the bottom-of-the-barrel for rated BG flag carrying, compared to the other tanks.
Reply Quote
80 Worgen Priest
yeh i don't even care about doing damage that much, but i want to be able to fill those other roles at a high level. flag carrying, support, crowd control. right now prot paladins cant even do that as well as prot wars and dks. if they can just do that in mop i'd be happy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm cautiously optimistic about prot paladins in a FC role in MoP. Removing the CD of WoG will help us a lot in the healing department. If we become the strongest healer with some capability to off heal that might be enough to make a us viable choice for FC.
In addition to that several of the new talents in MoP will increase our mobility. For example Long Arm of the Law coupled with Burden of Guilt will let us move the flag down the field faster while at the same time letting us peel melee of ourselves.
So if we have better mobility then DKs and better healing then Warriors with some off healing capabilities we might be a viable choice for FC roles. Sometime after MoP starts when they balance monks xD

As far as arena, world PvP (which might be the most fun PvP in mists) duels and the other 99.5% of PvP that isn't flag carrying, we'll have to wait and see how it is when it goes live. Losing Hammer of Wrath is going to hurt. However increased healing might let us outlast dps 1v1 and I could see using Long Arm/Burden to kite some melee classes around while whittling them down with judgement and Avenger's Shield.
In the end though we can't count on being viable outside of FCing. But we can count on any Prot spec that is borderline viable for anything (other then FCing of course) to get nerfed into the dirt quickly.
In general tanking specs attract the more skilled players, if you give us a balanced PvP spec we are going to destroy most dps. So don't expect to hang up the two hander anytime soon.
Reply Quote
92 Human Paladin
Prot will probably still be crap in PVP in MoP, but it'll also probably be better off that it is now, since talents aren't tied to spec. You'll be able to pick up some nice things for mobility, utility, and whatnot.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Prot will be "viable" for carrying flags and defending nodes. If you're one of those people that expect to do competitive damage you will be disappointed, if you want to do your job then prot will be viable for those things.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
04/07/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Rocmon
@Abikis .. must not have played in TBC / WotLK.
Actually i went to about 1980 in rbg's last season playing prot.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
you still have silencer's shield do you not?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
04/08/2012 08:28 AMPosted by Abikis
@Abikis .. must not have played in TBC / WotLK.
Actually i went to about 1980 in rbg's last season playing prot.

You didn't hit 2200+. That's the raiting when people pay attetnion to you. Even higher is better. It shows you're actually fighting in the top end where the serious competition is. If you can't make it that high then most people are going to dismiss your claims. There's a standard you gotta get to first.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/08/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Khalad
You didn't hit 2200+. That's the raiting when people pay attetnion to you

That might be true for Ret, Holy and other classes/specs are are viable in high end play.

Here is a list of the top prot pallies at or around 2.2k RBG rating in the US.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/battlegrounds/?spec=2%3A2&characterName=&battleGroup=&realm=&faction=&minRating=&maxRating=&specType=filter

There are 14 pallies on the list only one or two of whom are playing Prot in RBGs the rest of them are Holy pallies who logged out in their PvE Prot spec. The only one of the fourteen who is wearing Prot PvP gear instead of Holy PvP gear or PvE gear is at 2202 rating.

So 1980 rating on the worse tank spec in PvP isn't bad. Good chance it's a top 100 prot pally RBG rating.

04/08/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Shoryuken
Prot has somewhat of a place in pvp.

Prot does indeed have a place in PvP. The problem that protection paladins have in Cata is that all other tank specs bring more to the table in terms of damage, mobility, mitigation and healing.

It wouldn't take too much to fix the balance of tank specs in PvP, we don't need the same mobility as warriors as long as we bring something else to our group that is desirable.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Pretty much why I won't be buying MoP.. Blizz ruined prot pallys & have no intention of making us viable in PvP. As to being able to heal more as a prot, WTF if I wanted to heal I would have rolled a Hpally.

Blizz will never return prot's to where we were near the end of TBC & WotLK.

QFT

My Prot Pally in nearly full Cata on the Beta does about half the damage or less than on Live. The ridiculously uncalled for nerf of Prot Paladin damage and utility is why I don't plan on touching my Paladin ever again. Don't get me wrong...anybody can gear up a Ret Paladin and have fun with it, but I was in love with Prot. I'll never forget S8 (widely believed to be the most BALANCED arena season) earning 2200 in 3v3. That will NEVER ever be a possibility again.

The thing I find the most troubling is WHY?

Why the nerfs to Prot Paladin?

It's not like we were running around being OP, making everyone hop on the forums to QQ. Even when Vengeance stacked from player damage, Prot Paladins and Prot Warriors were arguably fine, or slightly more powerful than balanced. It was Blood DKs and Feral Druids that were completely out of control. But if you have a chance to try a Prot Paladin on the MoP Beta...you'll see how unbelievably weak it's going to be.

My whole philosophy on Tank specs in PvP is this:

Tanks should put out roughly 33% less damage than DPS specs.

But in return their increased utility and survivability should be 33% better than that of DPS specs.

Similarly vs. Healer specs, Prot should have as good or better healing than DPS specs have.

This has never been the case, though it did come close in S8.

Since then it's been downhill all the way, and MoP brings us crashing down to the bottom, for good.
Edited by Drakkisback on 4/10/2012 2:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I have a lot more to say about this topic. If you have Beta access, you can check it out here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4422092484#1
Edited by Drakkisback on 4/10/2012 4:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]