RP-PVP Servers... a sad joke on roleplayers?

90 Blood Elf Priest
In my 10+ years of playing various MMO's, I've always avoided PVP servers. While I do enjoy PVP (to an extent), I like to be able to control when I will encounter it. That being said, when all of my RL friends ended up playing on a PVP server (Lightninghoof), I gave in and joined them. I consoled myself with the thought that it was an RP-PVP server, at least. I had high hopes. After all, I enjoy roleplay... and a friend commented to me that nothing could be more 'in character' than the ability to attack your enemies, if the situation called for it.

Unfortunately, the inability to communicate with the opposite faction makes the idea of combining roleplay and pvp almost laughable.

I'll give you an example. Today, I was questing in STV. While turning in a quest in Booty Bay, a human shadow priest ran up to me, used one of the canned emotes to tell me to 'bring it' (/taunt?), then stabbed me.

Now, I have no idea why he did this. Maybe he simply wanted to trick me into attacking him, so that the guards would kill me. Maybe, though, it was just 'in character for him to attack a blood elf priest? He wasn't seriously trying to kill me on his own. When I replied with a /no, he said a few things in Common that I couldn't understand. Then he stabbed me again (no spells, just melee attacks). Eventually, a couple of guards ran in and killed him.

As a roleplayer, how am I supposed to react to this? All I can do is /laugh or /mourn or just walk away. I'm limited to a number of standard emotes as a method of attempting to communicate with the person attacking me.

The really sad thing is that when you eliminate the ability to communicate with your enemy (beyond the most rudimentary of means), you're also eliminating a huge number of possible roleplay storylines. The best stories have a foundation in a conflict of some sort. We have a built in conflict here, but we can't exploit it for storytelling purposes, because we can't communicate with each other.

Sure, there's realid. That does allow the really dedicated roleplayer to communicate with someone who is cross faction... assuming that they're willing to roll an alt and go looking for someone to rp with, or give out their personal info to random people on a forum. Realid is an okay workaround... but it's not a good solution.

Please, Blizzard... please consider allowing players to communicate cross faction. I can't come up with a single reason why it shouldn't be allowed. All of the ones commonly brought up are easily overcome:

1) People would spam insults in pvp. Thing is, this happens already. Just give us the ability to ignore them.

2) People use public channels to communicate during pvp. So? In BG's we have /bg chat - just eliminate shout entirely in BG's; it's not needed. Out in the rest of the world, we have local defense channels if we need to communicate with people in the area without the opposition hearing it.

3) There's a language barrier! Oh come on, this one's the worst. The Forsaken are (were) human... do they suddenly lose the ability to understand Common when they die? What about the druids? Both Alliance and Horde have no problems communicating with them... so there must be some common language. Introduce the ability to learn other languages some way, perhaps - like they had back in EQ1 (though preferably a method that doesn't involve making macros of text and spamming them at each other).

I can't come up with any other reasons to disallow communicate between the factions. Please, Blizzard, let us talk to each other. We have stories to tell, and you're getting in the way.
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Mage
I've never really understood why the factions can't understand each other/learn each other's languages. I'm sure there's some sort of reason, but whatever it is, it's not apparent to me. lol
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
04/06/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Revorii
I've never really understood why the factions can't understand each other/learn each other's languages. I'm sure there's some sort of reason, but whatever it is, it's not apparent to me. lol
Think about all the ways you would be able to cheat or game the system if Horde/Alliance could talk to each other.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
04/06/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Revorii

It's because there was an excessive amount of vitriol going on when there was cross-faction speech, so they stopped it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Now, I have no idea why he did this. Maybe he simply wanted to trick me into attacking him, so that the guards would kill me. Maybe, though, it was just 'in character for him to attack a blood elf priest?

Of course it is in character to kill a dirty fel-muncher.

04/06/2012 10:31 AMPosted by Morniel
As a roleplayer, how am I supposed to react to this?

You were attacked by a member of the opposing faction. In a world ruled by war, this is normal. You just brush it off.

I highly doubt that this guy wanted to RP with you anyway. More like he just wanted to fight you.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Personally if some human can up to me and attacked me in a city I would go towards a guard and as he died do /laugh and if I don't have it on the toon I am on /hug :p

If I am out in the wild, kill said human.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
In beta Undead could speak Common, which definitely added a diplomatic dimension to things. The way languages work in WoW, there may as well just be one for the Horde and one for the Alliance. I think Archaeology could tie in with learning other languages, and that it would be a fun way to unlock lore. I agree that learning languages in EQ was awful, but I did love being able to understand what mobs were saying while others could not. I think WoW needs that.
Reply Quote
66 Dwarf Hunter
PvP servers in general seem to attract crazy people. If you really wanted to communicate you could use RealID, which I do for roleplaying sometimes.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
The bottom line is that young adults are attracted to simple themes. If Blizzard destroys their basic theme, Horde vs Alliance, they risk destroying their "feeder" chute to the game. New blood is a constant need in any industry, hence the reset in MoP to return to the roots of the game. Right on time, by my estimation, too.

There is no other reason. The bg argument is silly, like Blizzard somehow does not have the capability to develop a toggle to turn off cross-faction communication in a bg, and once they allowed accounts to make both races the "insult factor" has been minimized and can be tempered with the simple implementation of a permissions list to communicate with a specific account cross-faction. Something also technologically possible.

They are wedded to this prohibition and, as much as I chafe under it, I understand that to keep the game easily marketable it is a sound decision.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
The insults thrown around from opposite factions would be breath-taking.
Reply Quote
50 Undead Warlock
04/06/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Ackenlore
Think about all the ways you would be able to cheat or game the system if Horde/Alliance could talk to each other.

That can already be done with a vent server.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
04/06/2012 10:59 AMPosted by Mossclaw
The bottom line is that young adults are attracted to simple themes. If Blizzard destroys their basic theme, Horde vs Alliance, they risk destroying their "feeder" chute to the game. New blood is a constant need in any industry, hence the reset in MoP to return to the roots of the game. Right on time, by my estimation, too.

Yes, because the basic theme of every Warcraft game since WC1 has been an elaborate plot in order to control the subconscious thoughts of high schoolers.

It all makes sense now. /tinfoil hat
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
04/06/2012 11:07 AMPosted by Garsid

Yes, because the basic theme of every Warcraft game since WC1 has been an elaborate plot in order to control the subconscious thoughts of high schoolers.

It all makes sense now. /tinfoil hat

O.o I think you need that hat more than I if you read into it anything more than a statement of basic market positioning.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I know blizz said they wouldnt but they should...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/06/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Garsid
Now, I have no idea why he did this. Maybe he simply wanted to trick me into attacking him, so that the guards would kill me. Maybe, though, it was just 'in character for him to attack a blood elf priest?

Of course it is in character to kill a dirty fel-muncher.

*rolls eyes*

RP is only as limited as one's imagination. I know players who have reason to hate the opposite faction, as well as players who have stories that involve the opposite faction in a variety of less fractious ways.

As a roleplayer, how am I supposed to react to this?

You were attacked by a member of the opposing faction. In a world ruled by war, this is normal. You just brush it off.

I highly doubt that this guy wanted to RP with you anyway. More like he just wanted to fight you.

That's pretty much what I did - for the exact reason you just gave. I /laughed and walked off.

That's kinda beside the point I was trying to make, though.
Edited by Morniel on 4/6/2012 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Why would you want to be on a PvP server and attempt to RP? The two attreact two totally different audiences with little overlap.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/06/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Ealathan
In beta Undead could speak Common, which definitely added a diplomatic dimension to things. The way languages work in WoW, there may as well just be one for the Horde and one for the Alliance. I think Archaeology could tie in with learning other languages, and that it would be a fun way to unlock lore. I agree that learning languages in EQ was awful, but I did love being able to understand what mobs were saying while others could not. I think WoW needs that.

/agree

Archaeology would be a great tie in.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/06/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Esperr
Why would you want to be on a PvP server and attempt to RP? The two attreact two totally different audiences with little overlap.

I explained that at the beginning of my post - I was following RL friends. Sadly, none of said RL friends play anymore... but at this point all of my characters are there, and I'm happy with the raiding guild I'm a part of. I'm vested enough at this point that moving (and starting over, from a raiding/'people to do things with' perspective) is not really appealing.

Lightninghoof is apparently one of the worst of the RP-PVP servers for actual RP (from what I've heard), but there *are* some very good roleplayers hiding here and there. The trick is finding them...
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warrior
I've always found it fun to have dialogue before a fight. I think that dynamic, evolving story lines between players make the game more enjoyable and the fights more meaningful. This is something developers attempt to achieve in PvE with long quest-lines and boss-talk; however, it falls short of what players can achieve with each other because WoW's PvE encounters are not dynamic. So, I find PvE entertaining story-wise the first time but each subsequent encounter is just for loot.

If you want to RP and PvP with the opposing faction, you're out of luck because this cannot be achieved in the game itself. You're forced to have deeper RP interactions outside of the game (e.g., on forums) and then fight each other in game. A big difference between an RP server and an RP PvP server is that players on the former have to flag for PvP before a fight and that players on the latter are likely to enjoy an element of danger while out in the world, which is why I started on a PvP server.

04/06/2012 11:15 AMPosted by Esperr
Edited by Ealathan on 4/6/2012 11:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/06/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Morniel

I explained that at the beginning of my post - I was following RL friends. Sadly, none of said RL friends play anymore... but at this point all of my characters are there, and I'm happy with the raiding guild I'm a part of. I'm vested enough at this point that moving (and starting over, from a raiding/'people to do things with' perspective) is not really appealing.

Lightninghoof is apparently one of the worst of the RP-PVP servers for actual RP (from what I've heard), but there *are* some very good roleplayers hiding here and there. The trick is finding them...

Carstine Wyvernjack, a Forsaken elf, has friends on both sides of the line. Sothe, the Night Elf rogue, is one of the few Alliance members she can trust. A couple of adventurers (read really as raiders) use her gathered intel to push deeper into the dungeons, her source being other Alliance adventurers that have been there. There once was a male human that fancied her, and she called him friend.

There are also Alliance targets she hunts. Knowing for picking up bounties, the rogue would meet her Alliance contact, then go hunting, returning only once the target was dead.

Cross faction RP would be AMAZING to help all these out, it being on a PvP server just means there's that sense of danger, that's all. Don't dismiss RP just because it's on a PvP server.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]