Sub pvp opening "rotation"

85 Blood Elf Priest
Yes, I have looked through the numerous guides posted in the stickies. Yes, I know that there is no such thing as a pvp "rotation." I'm just figuring out how to play a sub rogue in pvp, and I'm wondering what the opening "rotation"--you can call it a sequence of moves if it makes you feel better--is for an 85 sub rogue.

Assume all of this is in a vacuum. That is, let's say you're stealthed, you catch an opponent 1v1 on the road to somewhere, he's not FCing or anything, you have neither recup nor S&D active, no healers, no other players, how do you proceed?

I'm guessing the opening sequence is different on a plate-wearing melee like a pala or warr than on a heavy-cc clothie like mage. If I could get some tips on both that'd be outstanding.

(N.B.: I'm planning on using a no-backstab spec, but if you throw in backstabs that's fine, I'll just replace them w/ hemos).

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
DESTEALTH > SPRINT > SINISTER STRIKE = PROFIT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
There isn't much of a rotation as using the move a situation calls for. If you're able to get the drop on someone using garrote would gain you the upper hand by keeping them silenced to make an attempt to set up a kill. If someone is beating on a healer and they need help using cheap shot then using shiv to put on crippling poison gives them the peel they need to stay around to heal their self, you and everyone else.

Generally everyone is opened on with garrote. This prevents things like fear bomb, teleport, and blink from being used right away to force distance and put you at a disadvantage at the start.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Ok...garrote, then what?

Is it like garrote, hemo 2x, recup, hemo some more, eviscerate?

I just made that up so don't expect it to be right.

04/06/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Kiwe
If someone is beating on a healer and they need help using cheap shot then using shiv to put on crippling poison gives them the peel they need to stay around to heal their self, you and everyone else.

I'm trying to take the situational element out of it. Straight up one-on-one no healers no objective no anything. Let's even say it's world pvp. You're strolling through deepholm like a boss when GASP you see a [mage, warrior, w/e]. What do you do?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Opener refers to what is used from stealth, hence Garrote. After that, you can't make a single set-up to use. Every situation uses something different, so you can't stick to one plan. You can't take the situational element out of something that is entirely situational to begin with.
Reply Quote
Ummm... you can't take the situational out of it. It all depends on what class you are up against.

If it was me I would first play around and sap the sucker a few times just to be a !@#$% and to see if he was dumb enough to trinket.

From there the opening sequence depends on the opponents' class, for example for a mage or any other casting class I would: premed - shadow step - garrotte - kidney shot - shadow dance

For a warrior I would: premed - shadow step - cheap shot - shadow dance

These are the two main opening sequences I use depending on who I am up against.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Ummm... you can't take the situational out of it. It all depends on what class you are up against.

If it was me I would first play around and sap the sucker a few times just to be a !@#$% and to see if he was dumb enough to trinket.

From there the opening sequence depends on the opponents' class, for example for a mage or any other casting class I would: premed - shadow step - garrotte - kidney shot - shadow dance

These are the two main opening sequences I use depending on who I am up against.

This is most helpful. I assume you'd pop shadow dance primarily to be able to use ambush?
Reply Quote
Yes, during shadow dance you spam ambush and eviscerate. Plus you can throw in another cheap shot if your opponent is about to break free.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
04/06/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Blåde

Still garrote them. They can drop a fear bomb after the cheap shot and ruin your Sdance.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
So when do you pop S&D/recup? I would assume earlier rather than later, particularly for the recup energy regen? But would you do it during the shadow dance or would that be wasting a GCD?
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
I only use garrote on a caster or DK, otherwise it's cheapshot. Also, don't get in the habit of using shadowstep on your opening attack, you may need it later to close distance...

Caster = Garrote, backstab, kidneyshot - SnD, gouge, vanish, garrote (rinse and repeat)

All others = Cheapshot, backstab, backstab, kidneyshot - one hemo, SnD, gouge - shadowdance (you get the picture?)

Try other combo's and find one that works for you :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I dont think its been mentioned yet, but make sure you are shiving your crip on. Otherwise you are going to have to blow cd's to avoid a kite situation and that is never good. I dont spec waylay (but even when I do) its *opener* -->shiv. But its personal preference and thats what works best for me.
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
1v1 no interuptions/no mage:

sap - premed - recup (use 2 premeds if time/bored) - garrote - shiv crip - bs to 5cp - ks - shadowdance - ambush spam. After that see what happens if its alive.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
garrott, Hemo and Kidney shot, Shadowdance Ambush until u need cheapshot to continue stuns.
Reply Quote
11 Orc Hunter
different for different classes

open with cheap shot on classes like warriors, hunters
open with garrote on classes like locks, priests etc
a personal choice on classes such as pallys and dk's

personally on a frost mage, if you can sap, premed-recup, open with a garrote then immediately shadow dance-cheap shot (so they cant blink) then lay a few ambushes into them.
Generally forces an ice block or a trinket
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]