Favorite compliments/good tanking experiences

85 Night Elf Druid
Hmm a few of them i can think of
surviving ozuk with no healer who some how died at 40%. aka he ran into melee range and got spalttered.
surviving the twin drakes in BOT a few weeks back when again healers died at arround 30% of there Hp with no brezs avilable.
solo tanking heroic 25 man gun ship back in icc and preventing a wipe. but to be fair that involved some really awsome and good players and was a guild run. quick example we had 2 of our dps warrior sword and board and pick up some of the adds from portals untill i could get back that kind of thing.
and lastly not taking a single hit on chromangus during his mortality phase aka got the nick name the ninja bear:P
Reply Quote
81 Gnome Death Knight
Some of the stranger ones I've seen include:

1) Okay, I was healing on my shaman but up to Ozruk the tank and I duo'd every single Stonecore boss after the dps died to some avoidable one shot mechanic. After Ozruk broke the dps on his body and they felt the strength of the earth someone commented, paraphrased since this was a while ago:

"Wow. You two are just awesome at this game carrying us through the dungeon."

Yes, in case you were wondering, they all died to falling rocks next.

2) Zoning into WoE on Azshara ...

"Hey, this one isn't in all blue pvp gear!"

3) Okay, this is more of a general thing but when the healer immediately re-queues at the end of a run I'd like to think something went right. This happens frequently at leveling instances.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
04/11/2012 09:13 AMPosted by Krinu
When I wear my raid tank set into heroics: "Holy !@#$ do you really have 300k health"

I figured people would comment on my massive hp peen but no one seems to care besides me! I have more than 100k hp in a random dungeon than my alt DK tank ;p I'm only breaking 300 if i have a shaman healing me though :/ Shaman Healer+hour of twilight+thralls totem=massive hp peenno one really comments on performance in the groups i run with. Best i've gotten was' Yay geared tank! '
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
My favorite compliment is when we downed Heroic Ultraxion for the first time and I was the only one still alive. I stayed alive around 15 seconds on my own and did enough damage plus all the DoTs to finish him. My guild then gave me a day on the calender and I got the mount off of DW that day too.

Divine shield. It's totally not broken... I swear on my honor as a paladin.
Edited by Trazaeth on 4/12/2012 4:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Got a compliment from a newbie healer last night on firehawk boss in ZA... so that made me feel good.
Reply Quote
My favorite compliment so far? Not getting my face chewed off last night. I queued as bear for the first time in the gear I'm in right now, my derping-around-by-myself gear -- and the healer notices that I have an int weapon equipped. And kindly points out that that's why I'm not holding aggro well.

She coulda been way meaner, especially after we wiped on trash, so I'm pretending she said "good job". At least I got to Brez her :D
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Havent had somone compliment my tanking in months. But people are more than happy to say somthing when somthing goes wrong!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ouri, I'm confused why you would owe him money when you *didn't* die? That must have been pretty intimidating to jump right into, glad it went so well. :D

The raid leader told he owed him five dollars because the raid leader most likely bet someone else that he would die, by not doing so, raid leader loses the bet and wants his money paid back lol.

As far as compliments, the last one I can actually remember was when ZA/ZG had just been re-released. I had run them ad nauseum already (stuck in afghanistan so enough internet for five mans but not raids) to keep my valor going and maintain a semblance of decent gear so I could gear up quick when I got back. Anyway, zone in to ZA with a guild group. Normally this already puts me on edge but I ask them how everyone is doing. They respond that they are ok players but never been here before so they apologize if they have issues. I informed them that I had run the dungeon multiple times and would be happy to explain fights. They agreed and we started off. The run went through with no wipes but was definitely about as slow as a snail crawling through maple syrup and their dps wasn't spectacular, but they CCed everything I needed, never standed in stuff, and paid attention to all mechanics. Afterwards the healer whispered me saying that one of his dps was about to quit the game because tanks and other players had been very mean to her in randoms, and after running with me she wants to keep playing.

Nice to make the game fun for someone again, because in the end, that's what it is, only a game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I joined a LFG pug and hit SFK. I told the group I was still new to tanking, wasn't very well geared, but I learn quick so just bear with me. The healer was amazing and we crushed the instance, during which one of the dps says "this bear is amazing". It was pretty cool given my level of inexperience..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
When a former guild member screamed through vent "Holo is f@*#king BEAST!!" as I stunned both sons of flame I was assigned to and another one that our dps had missed... never downed Rag with that group, but I sure as hell milked that shining moment for as long as I could.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Deadclown, the ninja bear thing was so funny, guess your avoidance was so high he just couldn't touch ya.

Kahz, I had one toon commit suicide about every other pull in SC, in every possible different way he could manage, including dying to the falling stalactites. I hadn't even known it was *POSSIBLE* to die from them... I agree it's always nice when people (especially the healer) want to go again. :D

Twiister, I assume you mean the Strength of Earth totem? Ele and enhance shammies can provide it as well, and it's the same buff as DK's Horn of Winter or Warrior Battle Shout.

Heartsings, that isn't a compliment exactly, but still a positive tanking experience. ;) In addition to the weapon, your relic, neck, and one of your trinkets are int-based. It probably won't make a huge difference to your threat per-se, as long as you are using your rotation correctly. Check out http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012663/ and http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1126995943 for some pointers to improve your tanking.

Kelras, I don't think I've had anyone decide to keep playing because of me, that must have been a nice "warm fuzzy" moment. ;) I really like helping new tanks build their confidence when they first start tanking or move up a level. I've been in a few runs where someone was doing something really obvious that gimped their DPS (like a hunter or lock with no pet or a poor choice of one), and their output doubled or tripled by the end of the run.

Andrind, I'm glad it went so nicely for you, it can be a little nailbiting moving up.

Holo, I've seen a lot of DK's do 3 stuns on that fight, but I thought pallies only had the two stuns. Did you get lucky on positioning?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ratsac, that made me giggle, and you're right! I haven't done the Zandoms yet on this toon, but back when they first came out, I duoed a lot of bosses with just the tank because people couldn't stay between the lines on poison boss or stood in the waves for cat lady.

Mibs, from what I've seen of your posts so far, it sounds like you're doing a great job as a new tank. I'm glad you're having fun with the Cata dungeons!

Crowing, I've seen a few people need just so they can increase the odds of gear going to people they feel deserve it, or it may have been a smaller upgrade for them, but they decided you needed it more.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
04/11/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Kahzregi
3) Okay, this is more of a general thing but when the healer immediately re-queues at the end of a run I'd like to think something went right. This happens frequently at leveling instances.

Hehe yeah, same! :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I cleared DS in a random raid for the first tmie today on this tank. On madness the other tank died while jumping to a new platform so I had to one tank it till the end. On one of the tenticles I had to take one impale, then quickly bubbled and canceled bubble to drop the debuff, and then took the next impale. Then on the final platform I had to tank both big adds each time. We managed to down him without much issue.

I thought it was a good performance, but no one said anything :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Tanking Firelands, we're on Ryolith.

Myself and one healer were the last ones alive on Ryolith, post-armor shatter, and the guild vent was going nuts as we were taking him down, just myself and the healer.

We got guild promotions for it, heh.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pwnpie, I think people kinda take that for granted in LFR (though it is much easier for Pallies to pull off than other tanks), and tend to generally be less friendly and talkative.

Varadore, that must have felt great, was it your guild's first kill on him?
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Back in early Cata I never queued as tank for heroics because of my poor net speed and unreliability, except for, no joke, every single Ozruk fight. It made me smile when people commented that I could do that fight better than the raid geared tanks wiping 5 or more times on it :)

Apart from that my favourite one was on my warrior in (3.3) WotLK at level 58 in Lower Blackrock Spire even if I felt a bit bad for not noticing why. Turns out our healer had been on follow and hadn't healed once the entire instance according to recount and it had just been me with my frostweave bandages, engineering toys and victory rush preventing me from dying :D I did take a hit to my pride, but that was salvaged when we did the leeroy achievement (I miss low level godmode shield block :< ) The compliment itself was when someone linked the healing done overall recount and then said "nice."
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
While compliments in pugs are rare. The greatest non-verbal compliment is as OP stated. When the healer decides to DPS.

I remember when I was still in lower gear. And my group all died on a boss besides myself. Yes I'm a bear. And I tanked and killed the boss solo. Fact. And the healer then said "When did bears become so OP?" .. -heh-

Also another good sign is if you get a new healer. Some healers I've gotten that just dinged to 85. Get tossed into instances pull only like 5k-6k hps. Group and myself easily live, complete, and done. When you tank all that you need to tank. And DPS rarely gets touched. And you can easily live with a 5k-6k hps healer. I'd say that's good tanking as well.
Edited by Sünde on 4/17/2012 1:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
Healers tell me they get sleepy.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/14/2012 02:17 PMPosted by Mistana
Deadclown, the ninja bear thing was so funny, guess your avoidance was so high he just couldn't touch ya.

Think it was arround 45% at the time in teir 11 might be wrong on that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]