If "casual" does not mean "bad"

(Locked)

85 Orc Shaman
Then "hardcore" doesn't mean "elitist". Everyone can agree on this, yes?
85 Dwarf Warrior
The posters who use this board that label themselves casual are generally bads.
they raid 10+ hours a week, and have just cleared normal DS because they're casual.

Also, those people telling others to enchant their gear when they claim content is hard, aren't elitists, they're trying to help. (I'd link examples, but It's probably bannable, but check the front page, there's 3 such topics on it as we speak)
Edited by Asane on 4/9/2012 3:02 AM PDT
26 Worgen Rogue
Hey Fancypance, I'm a bad elitist who is neither hardcore nor casual...did I just blow your mind?*edit, this thread reminds me of the random telephone survey call I got the other day. The caller began to get very frustrated with me on her 2nd question as she was trying to mark down my racial/ethnic background. I started with a Colbertesque "I don't see color" then moved to a "I don't prescribe to ethnic labeling" and ended with a "I see all the peoples of earth as one brethren". As she continued to persist I told her my veins shared the blood of people of every populated continent somewhere in my ancestry and she could feel free to pick any of them.
Edited by Psynister on 4/9/2012 3:35 AM PDT
100 Human Paladin
Since most players are, by the standards of the D&R forum, "bad", it's no great leap to assume that most players who call themselves "casual" are also "bad".

As for the hardcore: it's necessary when playing at the top of the game to rigorously exclude from your groups those who don't measure up. That's not being elitist, it's playing the game as designed. Elitism would be holding that the game should be designed around the needs of the exceptionally good players. I'm not going to presume most hardcore players feel that way, although they might.
100 Draenei Paladin
The analogy you're looking for is that "hardcore" does not mean "good". There are plenty of people who play 30+ hours a week and take this game way too seriously, but suck.
85 Human Paladin
Generally speaking, the most "elitist" players I've encountered have been in poorly to moderately progressed guilds.
85 Human Paladin
not elitist, OP...just elite.
90 Pandaren Shaman
When you're up, you're up. And when you're down, you're down. But when you're only in between, you're neither up nor down.
Edited by Firestyle on 4/9/2012 7:25 AM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
All terms used on this message board can be roughly translated into the following statement:

I am [smart,] others are [stupid.]

Which terms you put in the two boxes may vary, but the incessent self-congratulatory braying is constant.
100 Human Death Knight
Arguably someone who would call themselves hardcore is by definition elitist, but not necessarily useful in any capacity.
85 Troll Shaman
Can you be hardcore and casual at the same time? That is the real question.
85 Human Paladin
04/09/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Voodoobolts

I pvp casually. and Pve semi-hc. does it count?
1 Human Priest
hardcore/casual is more of a state of mind. good/bad is skill. The 2 categories are largly unrelated though someone who is hardcore is more likely to play more which makes them somewhat more likely to be "good" and inversly someone who is casual is more likely to play less thus somewhat more likely to be "bad"
85 Human Paladin
it's debatable Superbleeder. a guild that is both hardcore and good will be done early and do 1-day clears the rest of the week. meanwhile a guild that's neither will continue with its full schedule for many months.

I'll agree to the state of mind but not necesarily to the time commitment. I think time investment is an entirely different parameter from good-bad and hc-cas. We can call this third parameter a "free - slave" one to symbolize the level of limitation real life puts on personal time.

a good guild gets more done per pull than a bad one.
a hardcore guild...vs a casual guild...per pull...do they get more done? depends on good/bad not on hc/cas.

I think hc/cas simply comes dow to this:

-there's still bosses up.
-you have the time at your disposal.
Are you still pulling once the raidweek ended?

we have some guildies messing with HM rag every week after raid. 4 hour raidnight...they go in FL for a few more hours. That's hardcore. They do it because they want to. it's not a guild event, its just a couple of guildies workig on staves and achievements and titles etc.

I think looking OUTSIDE the scheduled raidweek is where you observe hc/cas not during the raidweek. :)
Edited by Robokapp on 4/9/2012 8:45 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Shaman
I think looking OUTSIDE the scheduled raidweek is where you observe hc/cas not during the raidweek. :)

I generally agree, but I do have to say that those 30 hour raid weeks for progression are pretty hardcore no matter if you get to one day clears. Raiding 6 hours a day for 5 days a week is pretty hardcore, no matter if you only do it for 3 weeks.

I know I personally can't put in 30 raid hours a week. I probably could if blizzard scheduled releases and I could take a day off of work each week for those three weeks. But you gotta admit, anyway you swing a 30 hour raid week, you're hardcore.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
The posters who use this board that label themselves casual are generally bads. they raid 10+ hours a week, and have just cleared normal DS because they're casual.

casual. hardcore. progressive. elitist. bad. none of these imply any other.

i consider my raid team casual since we raid only 8 hours per week and i don't consider us "bad". we are at 3/8 heroic ds (working on ozz atm).
Edited by Takamurasaki on 4/9/2012 9:08 AM PDT
90 Troll Priest
04/09/2012 09:07 AMPosted by Takamurasaki
i consider my raid team casual since we raid only 8 hours per week and i don't consider us "bad".

That's where my raid group is too. We raid about 3-4 hours a week. Clear in 2, screw around in FL(or older content) for !@#$s and giggles for an hour or two and call it a night. It's all about time restraints for us.

Edit: It's WAY too early to spell properly......
Edited by Ulazeer on 4/9/2012 9:28 AM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
04/09/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Voodoobolts

Yep, casualcore.
86 Draenei Death Knight
Bad isn't the opposite of elitist, though. I've encountered more then my fair share of bad elitists.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]