Lock Tank : up-to-date informations

5 Human Warlock
Hello,

There's a lot of misinformations out there, so I figured I should create a thread suming up « how things currently work on Beta ».

GENERAL
– I – Glyph of Dark Apotheosis, « DA »
– II – Generating Fury
– III – Using Fury
– IV – Talents & Cooldown
– V – Conclusion (TL;DR)

GENERAL (basic things to know)
- Demonology now works with a ressource called « Demonic Fury » (DF). Warlock still have mana however.
- You can toggle the « Metamorphosis » mode when you want. Metamorposis drains DF over time. A lot of abilities are replaced and/or cost DF instead of mana, under Metamorphosis.
- You can use the « Glyph of Dark Apotheosis », a new MoPandaria glyph that allow the Warlock to tank. This Glyph gives you access to a second metamorphosis.
- Side note: Ghost Crawler never said "warlock will not main tank in MoP". He said : "the intent of this glyph is not to let warlock MT in MoP, but just make them OT". He also said : "we didn't expect so much enthousiasm around this niche glyph". Currently, we have no idea of the plans of Blizzard concerning the warlock tank.
- Side note: "hybrid tax" doesn't exist currently. We don't now if it's still a design goal of blizzard.

– I – Glyph of Dark Apotheosis, « DA »
- When you use this glyph, a « second » metamorphosis (called Apotheosis, « DA ») mode becomes available.
- Under DA, your Mastery rating doesn't increases damage anymore. Instead, it decreases damage received. The numbers are still unclear (tooltips says different things), but it should be -10% damage received / +50% damage done for 30 mastery.
- Under DA, you benefit from « Nether Plating », a passive. (+250% armor, -6% chance to be crit, +35% control reduction)
- Under DA, you no longer lose Fury over time.
- Under DA, your threat generation is increased by 500%.
- Under DA, some abilities are replaced :
twillight ward (shadow ward) => « Fury Ward »
curses (enfeeblement/elements) => Auras (enfeeblement/elements)
soulshatter => Provocation
fel flame => ray of twillight
hellfire => Immolation Aura
shadow bolt => Demonic Slash
fear => by sleep

– II – Generating Fury
List of abilities that generate fury :
- Corruption : 12 fury per 3 sec (per tick)
- Demonic Slash : 30 fury per 5 sec (per cast)
- Your auto-attacks : 5 fury per second (per attack)
- Main ability of your pet : average 20 fury per second (4 energy => 10 fury, 8 energy regen/Sec)
- Grimoire of service : average 5 fury per second
- Wild Imps : 2,5 fury per second (250 - 100 fury per minute)
- Hand of Guldan : 25 fury per target affected that is not already affected (8 sec debuff duration, 1 charge per 15 sec, max 3 charges)

Total on a single target : 4+6+5+20+5+2+2 = 44 fury per second, with the main pet representing 50% of this, and the second pet 10%.

– III – Using Fury
List of abilities that use fury to mitigate damage :
- Fury Ward : 200 Fury, 10 sec CD, active-mitigation tool. A classic shield of around 1/6 of your life, that scales on your intelligence.
- Drain Life : 30 Fury/Second, active-mitigation tool.
- Aura of Enfeeblement : 100 Fury, 30 seconds duration, reduces physical damage of all enemy by 20% and casting speed by 30%

List of abilities that use fury to generate threat :
- Provocation : 10 Fury
- Ray of Twillight : 40 Fury, area of effect, no cooldown
- Immolation Aura : 450 Fury, gigantic area of effect that deals ton of damage over 15 seconds
- Bane of Doom : 90 Fury, generate 30 Fury average over its duration (0,6 imp x 45 sec x 2 fury/sec)

List of abilities that use fury to position or control :
- Demonic Leap : 100 Fury, Leap in the chosen direction
- Demonic Circle : 100 Fury to pose, 100 Fury to use
- Sleep : put the target asleep for 20 seconds. Max 1 target.
Edited by Nymphcouncil on 4/9/2012 11:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
– IV – Talents & Cooldown
Lock Tank has a high diversity of tanking cooldowns. Here's the list.

List of baseline cooldowns :
- Unending Resolve : 3 min CD, 50% to all damage, 12 second. This is the exact same as all tanks.
- Dark Soul Knowledge : increases your mastery by 30 for 20 seconds, 2 minutes cooldown. (passive : 5 mastery ; desactived on cooldown)

List of Tier 1 talents :
- Dark Regeneration : this is your best choice. It allows you to regain 50% of your max life over 20 second, and you gain 20% increased healing for the duration.
- Soul Leech : 10% of your damage as heal. A valid choice, but as it scales with your damage, it will end up healing a lot less than your other cooldowns.
- Harvest Life : an AOE drain life. Nearly useless until you are in stressful AOE conditions. Like life drain, you lose your dodge while channeling it.

List of Tier 2 talents :
- Howl of Terror : fear 5 enemies 20 seconds, 40 sec cooldown which is reduced every attack you take. This is probably the most effective crowd control spell of the game in a raid boss situation.
- Mortal Coil : this is your best choice. Heals you for 15% of your max life. 45 sec cooldown. Note: You don't need to horrify the target for the heal to work.
- Shadowfury : a situationnal control. The good point is that it gives you a stun, which is sometimes the only thing working on certain encounters.

List of Tier 3 talents :
- Soul Link : THIS TALENT BEHAVE STRANGELY. While it was OP for tanking since Burning Crusade, the current version of the spell is hardly useful in a PvE situation. Healing and Damage are shared, which implies several things :
=> You won't increase your mitigation, but only your EH, which should not be a concern since cataclysm.
=> You won't share buffs. (forget the shadow bulkwark)
=> Unlike Stamina, you won't buff Dark Regeneration, Drain Life, etc : it doesn't give any scalling.
=> This replaces Health Funnel, meaning that you lose your only (and very good) tool of healing your pet.
HOWEVER (thanks Fallensaint for the researches) :
=> it is worth noting that you can't overheal one of the two linked if the second is not full life. If one of the two get to 100%, the second one takes 100% of the incoming heals until he's full.
=> it seems to retain more healing when you have less life than your pet, meaning that it probably tends to make your pet and yourself die at the same time. If this is true, this means that the EH gain would be THE TOTAL HP OF YOUR DEMON - which would be a TON. (let's say you have 131k, thanks to your VoidLord you have 221k... !)
> REQUIRES MORE TESTING <
=> it can synergize quite well with a lot of healers mechanics (being able to stack twice your HoT on the same tank can sometimes be broken)
=> you will take shared AOE, but only 10% on the pet's part (avoidance of the pet)
=> it can allow healers to heal you from really, really far away, which can be useful on some fights
=> generally speaking, it work
- Sacrificial Pact : this is your best choice. It gives you an OP shield every minute. This shield, probably the biggest of the game, sacrifies 50% of your pet's life and gives you 300% of this as a shield – meaning that a voidwalker under bulkwark (same cooldown) will give you around 100-120% of your life as a shield.
- Dark Bargain : DON'T TAKE THIS TALENT EITHER. On paper, this is pretty much OP ; but it will put you out of Apotheosis, which is not really a good idea when you're supposed to tank things.

List of Tir 4 talents :
- Blood Fear : forget it. Under apotheosis, it does nothing. (your fear spell is already replaced by Sleep)
- Blood Rush : this endless 50% sprint is a very good raiding tool ; you'll probably need it in various raid boss situations. Remember however that Sacrificial Pact doesn't prevent damage from this.
- Unbound Will : again a good situationnal tool, useful in various raid boss situations

List of Tier 5 talents :
- Grimoire of Supremacy : ATM, only nice because it increases the life of the voidwalker, further increasing the size of your Sacrificial Pact. Doesn't increase the fury generation.
- Grimoire of Service : increases your Fury regeneration by 5 per second average.
- Grimoire of Sacrifice : this COULD be useful with a proper number tweaking. Currently, you lose 60% of your fury regeneration to win 15% of maximum life and damage, with a 30% burst. Your sacrificial pact becomes way better. If you are using fury to generate threat, then this is a valid choice as the +15% damage will increase your threat.
=> The three grimoires are valid choices actually. Number tweaking will tell.

List of Tier 6 talents :
- Archimonde's Vengeance : this is your best choice. It basically gives you Vengeance like a classic tank, with more flexibility.
- KilJaeden Cunning : useless. Nearly all of your spells are instant anyway.
- Mammoroth Fury : useless. You don't care about an AOE size increase.
Edited by Nymphcouncil on 4/9/2012 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
– V – Conclusion (TL;DR)
- 250% armor increase
- 500% threat increase
- Taunt (8 sec cooldown)
- crit immunity
- no more mastery / meta increased damage. (lost of ~ 40% of the DPS)
- but mastery now decreases damage taken
- Vengeance mechanic
- Fury Ward : active tanking/mitigation ability
- Life Drain : active tanking/mitigation ability
- « Glacial Fortitude » resistance cooldown (3 minutes, 12 secondes, 50%)
- Mastery resistance cooldown (2 minutes, 20 secondes, 10% additive with mastery)
- shield cooldown (1 minute, 150% of your life, 10 secondes)
- Increase healing + heal cooldown (3 minutes, 20 secondes, 50% heal + 20% healing increase)
- 15% max life heal / 45 secondes
- 20% reduced damage debuff

Leave comments and improvements propositions !
Edited by Nymphcouncil on 4/12/2012 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Very comprehensive and complete report. Should leave any skeptics baffled.

This makes warlock tanking look very real.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
I can't wait to pvp with this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
it does not matter what the current mechanics are. GC has been very clear that they do not mean for warlocks to be anything other than clutch tanks. If anything else is possible rest assured that those mechanics/skills will be nerfed.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Maybe ghostcrawler will backoff if enough people show their intrest.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/09/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Glow
it does not matter what the current mechanics are. GC has been very clear that they do not mean for warlocks to be anything other than clutch tanks. If anything else is possible rest assured that those mechanics/skills will be nerfed.

He also made it clear that they didn't expect the reaction they got, so take his statement there with a grain of salt.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I would love to see some pieces of the DA rune chunked out for separate use.

Aura curses would be AWESOME.
Sleep for Fear swap would be kinda nice since it is more visually CC'd IMO, so less likely that people break it all the damn time.
And of course I would happily drop a glyph slot if I could make DPS Metamorphosis stop losing fury over time (lazy factor, would like to just leave it up between pulls if I still have lots of fury available)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Just to clarify the mechanics of Soul Link in MoP Beta, it does split the healing you take, but only up to the maximum of your pet's life. After your pet has reached its maximum hp the rest of the potential of the healing spell rolls back to the warlock; your demon pets cannot be overhealed, only you, the warlock, can.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Good list, OP. Thanks for posting.

04/09/2012 09:25 AMPosted by Haayt
Aura curses would be AWESOME.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe aura curses apply to both meta and DA.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Thank you Nymph that was the most comprehensive and informative thread yet posted about the changes that locks are going to see. Many of of really appreciate you taking the time to put that post together and checking things out for us.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Thank you Nymph for the info. This might be the best thing to happen to locks since Death Coil went from a 10 min cooldown to 2 min. IMO
Edited by Yohas on 4/9/2012 10:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Mortal Coil : this is your best choice. Heals you for 15% of your max life. 45 sec cooldown.

This a disagree with. Yes it is a lot of health on a relatively short CD, but as someone who also tanks occasionally, I care more for control and place my health with healers. An AOE stun would save everyone at times. Just my two cents.

Thank you, LONG LIVE LOCKTANKS!

A class shouldn't be afraid of it's developers, the developers should be afraid of the classes!

/carves W with felfire into wall
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Control is nice, sure.. But in an ideal situation when leveling, control should be in the hands of the DPS in the form of CC. Now, as you level up gear wise, threat shouldn't be an issue, but really the 15% heal is so much better.

The AoE stun can only save the group for a few seconds. The 15% heal can save the group for the duration of the fight, and it works on bosses and other CC immune mobs.
Edited by Ferlion on 4/9/2012 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
04/09/2012 10:51 AMPosted by Ferlion
The 15% heal can save the group for the duration of the fight, and it works on bosses and other CC immune mobs.

From my understanding the heals only work if the target is able to be horrified.
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
04/09/2012 09:55 AMPosted by Malgarian
Just to clarify the mechanics of Soul Link in MoP Beta, it does split the healing you take, but only up to the maximum of your pet's life. After your pet has reached its maximum hp the rest of the potential of the healing spell rolls back to the warlock; your demon pets cannot be overhealed, only you, the warlock, can.

Thanks, I just tested it and it works as you said.

This doesn't really change anything though - the redirected damage is not reduced by shadow bulkwark, so soul link is still just an EH increase. I'll update the first post with this information though.

04/09/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Glow

You will have to find the post were he stated that. You'll have a hard time : he posted only twice, and none of the two post said this. As there is a lot of misundestanding on this too, I'll update the first post.

04/09/2012 10:54 AMPosted by Baalsamael
From my understanding the heals only work if the target is able to be horrified.

I was the case some weeks ago, but it is no more the case. That's why Mortal Coil is the best OP choice on a boss fight.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Thanks, I just tested it and it works as you said.

This doesn't really change anything though - the redirected damage is not reduced by shadow bulkwark, so soul link is still just an EH increase. I'll update the first post with this information though.

You know, I was thinking perhaps for zonozz, we could have our VW stacked with range so he gets all the AOE heals, while the tank healer is also healing us. Call him in in BLack phase, etc.
I was the case some weeks ago, but it is no more the case. That's why Mortal Coil is the best OP choice on a boss fight.

Ahh, okay. Great! :D
Reply Quote
89 Orc Warlock
04/09/2012 09:11 AMPosted by Neferious
Maybe ghostcrawler will backoff if enough people show their intrest.

i am not optimistic on this point.

But to the OP or anyone else with Beta access i would love to hear a little bit about how Apotheosis tanking is functioning in the beta right now. How is the armor and mastery working? how playable is it? what sort of reaction are you getting from healers?

List of Tier 3 talents :
- Soul Link : DON'T TAKE THIS TALENT. While it was OP for tanking since Burning Crusade, the current version of the spell is NOT useful in a PvE situation. Healing and Damage are shared, which implies several things :
=> You won't increase your mitigation, but only your EH, which should not be a concern since cataclysm.
=> You won't share buffs.
=> Unlike Stamina, you won't buff Dark Regeneration, Drain Life, etc : it doesn't give any scalling.
=> While you will take shared healing (sometimes), you will also take shared AOE...
=> This replaces Health Funnel, meaning that you lose your only (and very good) tool of healing your pet.

This all did not occur to me. thanks.

Though it seemed that Soul Link is still viable for certain purposes. For one thing it increases healing HPS or HPM for certain healer mechanics. It is very efficient for Paladins even after the nerf to Beacon of light, and it allows double the HPS from bread and butter HoTs (Renew/Rejuvenation/Riptide)

and for reference Fallensaint explained in the beta forums more about how SL works:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4362516535

What Soul Link seems to be doing is it tries to equalize the damage done based on the % of health both targets have. My Wrathguard has roughly half my health, so if both myself and Zig-garath are at full health, damage is split 2:1. So, if I take 3% of our health in damage, I take 2% and the demon takes 2% since his health pool is half as big as mine. Or, if you prefer, if I have 100k health, my pet has 50k health, and I take 3k damage, the damage is split to 2k to me (or 2% of my total health) and 1k to my minion (or 2% of it's total health).

HOWEVER, if I am at, say, 50% health due to life-tapping and the Wrathguard is at full health, damage will be split 1:1. If I am at 25% health, damage is split at 1:2, and so on.

Since all our pets seem to have different health pools, this ratio is not equal for all minions. The Wrathguard, Shivarra, and Observer seem to all have equal health. The Voidlord has higher health, and the Fel Imp has lower, both by about 10% of my health (60% and 40%, respectively). Non-talented pets seem to also be based on my health, so the Succubus and Felhound are 40%, the Voidwalker is 50%, the Imp and, oddly, Felguard seem to be at 30%.

Healing seems to be splitting the same way. However, and this is important, if either the lock or their minion are at full health, and the other is not, all healing goes to the target below 100% health.

"Damage" done by abilities that cost health (Life Tap and lvl 60 talents) is not transfered since it is not true damage. Burning Ember damage would be transfered since it's technically a DoT on the player.
It's also worth noting that this split also seems to happen after damage reduction effects are factored in. This means that while we get a double benefit on AoE healing, we do not get a double penalty on AoE damage in PvE thanks to our minion's Avoidance passive ability. Though, I do suppose that PvP 'locks would get double AoE damage from other players.

the point i am making with this quote is that SL seems to have a built in efficiency protocol: The less health you have the more damage is transferred to the pet and healing is always transerred to the party with health missing over the party at full health which reduces overhealing.

Finally Sacrificial pact is strong but it requires active timing and is not up 100% of time, so it's better for more skilled players. For less skilled players, SL is easier to work with.
Edited by Erinnys on 4/9/2012 12:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Human Warlock
04/09/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Baalsamael
You know, I was thinking perhaps for zonozz, we could have our VW stacked with range so he gets all the AOE heals, while the tank healer is also healing us. Call him in in BLack phase, etc.

Well that's the main interest of this talent : you can be healed wherever you are. The leash range is as long as the pet range (something like 100 or 200 yd - I'll see if I can calculate it when realms will be up again)

The problem is that you want your pet to generate fury - if he does not, then you'd better take grimoire of sacrifice. The only reason we're not all taking grimoire of sacrifice right now is because you lose tons of fury with it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]