Being banned for holding a monopoly.

(Locked)

90 Undead Rogue
Seems some people I know have been banned for posting too many auctions. They said blizzard told them they were holding a monopoly. How true is this? If this is the case how many auctions can one character have before blizzard bans then for ruining the economy?
90 Human Paladin
Well I would think that if you do a search for an item, and the list only shows sales from your characters name, its probably an issue.

I never delved into auction house gaming though.
56 Troll Druid
I don't really see the problem, the only way to hold a monopoly in this game in the first place is to buy out the competition, so said competition gets a pretty good deal out of it.
That is, unless, the person holding the monopoly drives the prices to rock bottom...
85 Undead Warlock
04/10/2012 09:15 AMPosted by Shazbot
Seems some people I know have been banned for posting too many auctions. They said blizzard told them they were holding a monopoly. How true is this? If this is the case how many auctions can one character have before blizzard bans then for ruining the economy?

If the gold wasn't acquired through malicious means I heavily doubt that Blizzard banned them because of listing too many auctions.
48 Troll Druid
04/10/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Horrid
Having the word "bot" in your name might not be doing you any favors...
04/10/2012 09:22 AMPosted by Horrid

...you're right about that. But Shazbot is an actual term, mainly used in Tribes games.
90 Worgen Warrior
04/10/2012 09:25 AMPosted by Enhancedone

...you're right about that. But Shazbot is an actual term, mainly used in Tribes games.

Mork & Mindy!
85 Undead Warrior
If you're crossing over the fine line of honest selling and controlling the pricing of certain items then you shouldn't be surprised. Seriously, I realize a select few actually are just spending all their time farming and selling honestly but I truly believe for the most part if a guy has 22 pages of 20 stacks of items then there's something afoot that isn't legit. Just my educated guess.
85 Undead Rogue
I think it becomes a monoply when you own most of the AH, like if you do a random search for some current level items and most everything comes up from the same person always at the lowest prices they might consider it a monopoly.

That's just my guess though.

Earlier in cataclysm my JC pretty much always dominated the gem market on my server horde side, I was never banned or issued any warnings on anything. So you got to reallllly have an obscene amount of control over an AH to start getting looked into by blizz.
As long as you aren't botting or using third party programs, Blizzard has no reason to ban you just for playing the auction house. you're not in the wrong, although you might be destroying your server's economy, but nothing wrong lol.
90 Worgen Hunter
Seems some people I know have been banned for posting too many auctions.

Nobody you know was banned for that. In fact, a quick search over at the Customer Support forum will provide you with many, many threads in which Blizzard posters have explicitly stated that outside of the ill-gotten gains of botting, gold-buying, bug exploitation or account compromise, anything goes in the Auction House, even the hugely irritating "20 pages of 1 dust/cloth auctions". You can post as many auctions as you want, and you can set your auctions at whatever price you want.

People don't get banned for "holding a monopoly"; if they did get banned, it's because they were breaking much more serious rules, and they know it. Of course, it's much easier to gain sympathy if you claim you were banned for something other than exploiting the economy by cheating. If the people in question honestly believe they received a ban in error, however, the best thing for them to do is file an appeal to have the ban reviewed.
Edited by Honeymoon on 4/10/2012 9:37 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Mage
I've held monopolies for years.. they can't ban you for that.
36 Blood Elf Hunter

Your "friends" are lying to you. Blizzard has posted about this several times in the Customer Support forum. They do not action an account for "holding a monopoly". That is perfectly allowed in a free markey economy.

Now they do ban for aquiring goods through botting, RL currency purchases, or scamming. Those are called "Exploiting the economy". Ask them to show you their e-mail and I bet thats what it says.
Edited by Alethìa on 4/10/2012 10:06 AM PDT
90 Undead Rogue
Thanks guys i post several hundred auctions for several professions, just didnt want to get in trouble. I have had this account for awhile and like it :).

Yeh more than likely they were not honest.

What about posting auctions for each prof and undercutting the competition several times a day, what are your thoughts on that.

For example I have made 130k of the ah in the last 30days and a profit of 40k.
Edited by Shazbot on 4/10/2012 9:52 AM PDT
69 Human Warrior
holding a monopoly is what they told you they got banned for?
if this were true, which I highly doubt, being that blizz considers the game to have a free economy.
They would have gotten an email stating such, which I'm sure your friends would have been glad to show you.

they probably got banned for Ah botting program or gold selling or buying.

a few years ago blizz started using a program called the warden it basically reads any incoming data and determines the nature of the data be it good or bad. IE hacking programs

Warden (also known as Warden Client) is an anti-cheating tool integrated in many Blizzard Entertainment games. While the game is running, Warden uses operating system APIs to collect information about certain software running on the user's computer[citation needed] and sends it back to Blizzard servers as hash values to be compared to those of known cheating programs or simply as a yes/no response (whether a cheat was found).

Also I knew a guy that sold gold a few years ago got banned of course, at that point he found out that blizz has a log of every piece of gold created in game where it goes and wh'os hands it touches. Which is why blizz bans in waves not one at a time they trace where it goes.

I have been on a lot of servers and seen a lot of monopoly's never seen or heard of someone being banned for it, Now I would say if he somehow pissed off a blizz employee
and that employee "looked" into his dealing and found "illicit" dealings then the monopoly may have lead to his being banned.
69 Human Warrior
Thanks guys i post several hundred auctions for several professions, just didnt want to get in trouble. I have had this account for awhile and like it :).

Yeh more than likely they were not honest.

What about posting auctions for each prof and undercutting the competition several times a day, what are your thoughts on that.

For example I have made 130k of the ah in the last 30days and a profit of 40k.

If blizz cared they would have not made the mobile and or remote auction app for your phone
The AH is where I make my gold, I hate doing dailies and questing.

I'll buy low and sell it higher, sometimes (on my realm) my ores will be the only ones on the AH.

If this is true I think I should stop using the AH excessively.
90 Blood Elf Priest
04/10/2012 09:50 AMPosted by Shazbot
Free market is free market. As long as the goods were obtained legitimately, then Blizzard will not step in. Any player can put things on the AH for as much or as little as they want. As long as you are not automating playing the AH as well. Any form of automation will get you banned.
Edited by Flatspriest on 4/10/2012 9:59 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]