Vial of Sands - Final Rundown

90 Troll Hunter
I finally got the Vial of sands recipe. Here's the tally:

161 Tol'vir Solves / 26 - Canopic Jars

Approx. 135 hours.

Gold from vendor sales: approx 13,800g (est based on 80% of total change from when I checked the stat shortly after I started to farm this)

Gold from keystones: approx 18,000g (I used a lot of them to complete artifacts)

Also:

* Scepter of Azj'Aqir, Ring of the Boy Emperor, Pendant of Scarab Storm
29 - Cat statue with emerald eyes
25 - Castle of Sand
25 - Tiny Mosaic
20 - Sketch of Desert Place
17 - Engraved hilt
16 - Soapstone Scarab Necklace

All in all it wasn't as horrible as it could have been. I even made more than enough gold to get the mats for the recipe.
Edited by Eluvia on 4/11/2012 7:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
04/10/2012 06:57 PMPosted by Eluvia
I finally got the Vial of sands recipe.

Grats

Here's the tally:
161 Tol'vir Solves / 26 - Canopic Jars

You got a bit lucky with your jar proc rate.

There's 7 non-rare items and even if you assume there's supposed to be an equal chance for any of them, you're still over the average by 3 (161- 3 (the rares)/7 = 22.57)

Do jars drop more commonly for alchemists? I've had 4 in 68 Tol'vir solves (which is fine, since this isn't one of my alchys).

Gold from vendor sales: approx 13,800g (est based on 80% of total change from when I checked the stat shortly after I started to farm this)

So... you ran no dungeons, did no raids, didn't do any dailies or other quests, and didn't kill that many mobs?

If all you did was arch, then fine. if you did other stuff than arch your estimate is definitely high.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

So... you ran no dungeons, did no raids, didn't do any dailies or other quests, and didn't kill that many mobs?

If all you did was arch, then fine. if you did other stuff than arch your estimate is definitely high.

I think it's pretty close. Somewhere at around jar 3 or 4 I looked at the "Gold from Vendor" stats and made a note.

I did not do very many instances with this toon and our guild runs a monthly gear contest for gold. So I did not really sell many high-lvl green or gray items for nearly 2 months. I d/e'd some and submitted the rest for the gear contest. The only dailies I did were a couple of fishing dailies and a couple of "rescue pebble" dailies. The only gold I got was from non-gear drops or low-gear drops and a few times farming for cloth and volatile air with a pot of treasure finding (maybe 4-6 times?). Any other mobs were killed in the course of digging.

So, what's your best guess? Should I Drop it to 70%?

( Note: I'd consider any mob that I had to kill in order to complete a dig as part of the "take". And since I'm a hunter, my pet tends to kill most mobs below 80 before I can, and they're not lootable in that case).
Edited by Eluvia on 4/12/2012 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Grats on getting the recipe!

Do jars drop more commonly for alchemists? I've had 4 in 68 Tol'vir solves (which is fine, since this isn't one of my alchys).

I would say no - mainly because my alchemist got a lot fewer jars while trying for the recipe than my main here did while trying to get the mount. In fact, my alchemist got 5 of the 6 Tol'vir rares before getting the recipe at around a dozen jars. (I don't have exact numbers because I'm at work right now.)

It's all just random chance - class has no influence on drop rates in Archaeology.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Grats on getting the recipe!

I would say no - mainly because my alchemist got a lot fewer jars while trying for the recipe than my main here did while trying to get the mount. In fact, my alchemist got 5 of the 6 Tol'vir rares before getting the recipe at around a dozen jars. (I don't have exact numbers because I'm at work right now.)

It's all just random chance - class has no influence on drop rates in Archaeology.

Thanks!

With respect to jar drops, both dig sites and jars seemed to become more frequent over time as I solved more items. I had about 6 or 7 jars at 60 solves, and got 20 more in the next 100 solves, although that was probably just perception.

It also seemed like using keystones to complete jars made more jars spawn, but that was also just the perception, there was simply not enough data to confirm that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
At what Archy level do you get to dig those Tol'vir places? I am ~375 now..
Reply Quote
57 Orc Death Knight
04/12/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Thedeceptor
At what Archy level do you get to dig those Tol'vir places? I am ~375 now..

The Tol'Vir dig sites should start appearing at about level 451.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
04/12/2012 08:47 AMPosted by Eluvia
So, what's your best guess? Should I Drop it to 70%?

70% is probably closer, but 12000ish is still a decent amount from just selling the vendor junk.

( Note: I'd consider any mob that I had to kill in order to complete a dig as part of the "take". And since I'm a hunter, my pet tends to kill most mobs below 80 before I can, and they're not lootable in that case).

I kill everything myself, but I've only made between 5 and 6k, but that's with a few months of doing DMF stuff (include the kill 250 guys in icecrown) along with arch. I don't actually do much digging.

As a comparison, I made around 4k in 6 weeks just leveling my lock from 70 to 85, even considering I DE'd most of the drops for mats to level enchanting, used most/all cloth drops for tailor, with training costs and costs at the AH for the next level rod and buying mats when I was too impatient to wait to get the stuff through normal play for skill ups. It was 6 weeks because I stop playing for the week when I reach the weekly guild rep cap, not sure what it translates to for normal play time. :p
Reply Quote
57 Orc Death Knight
...There's 7 non-rare items and even if you assume there's supposed to be an equal chance for any of them, you're still over the average by 3 (161- 3 (the rares)/7 = 22.57)..

I get about a 1 in 6.25 drop rate. That's slightly better than 1 in 7. But it's not unusual for a random drop-rate to fluctuate over time in that range.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
2nd tolvir solve

First canopic jar.

It might sound good, but its sort of a blessing and a curse; Then, while trying to get the bug mount or such, you "crap out" every time you get a canopic jar again.

So I have got not a single of the other things, since I'm currently on a canopic jar again and kind of went "mehh....."
Edited by Kybeorie on 4/12/2012 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
You must be a ninja fast digger because I'm pretty sure I didn't get my recipes on the 14th jar / 93rd solve in nearly as low as 135 hours. I know its somewhat faster now than it was over a year ago or so but I remember spending way more time than that unless you aren't including the time spent leveling up to the point of getting tol'vir sites (450 skill?) and clearing through all the dreadful nightelf sites.

I do wonder how the nightelf sites compare now. I ended up with 210 nightelf solves to 93 tolvir solves and that was with using a keystone (bought from the AH) for nearly every tolvir site and never using the nightelf keystones.
Edited by Tawnos on 4/12/2012 9:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
You must be a ninja fast digger because I'm pretty sure I didn't get my recipes on the 14th jar / 93rd solve in nearly as low as 135 hours. I know its somewhat faster now than it was over a year ago or so but I remember spending way more time than that unless you aren't including the time spent leveling up to the point of getting tol'vir sites (450 skill?) and clearing through all the dreadful nightelf sites.

I do wonder how the nightelf sites compare now. I ended up with 210 nightelf solves to 93 tolvir solves and that was with using a keystone (bought from the AH) for nearly every tolvir site and never using the nightelf keystones.
'

They increased the amount of fragments you get per dig to about twice as much. So you may have spent roughly 270 hours or something. Nightelf sites are still very prominent. Once, I had 8 Nightelf digsites in a row before a fossil site broke the streak.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

It's much faster than a year ago. I had about 3 jars and 25 when I started again in February. At that point was getting a jar about every 6 hours. By the time I finished I was getting a jar every 5.2 hours. I kept going to Uldum every time a Tol'Vir site appeared and used a lot of keystones.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

'

They increased the amount of fragments you get per dig to about twice as much. So you may have spent roughly 270 hours or something. Nightelf sites are still very prominent. Once, I had 8 Nightelf digsites in a row before a fossil site broke the streak.

Yah but the patch notes at the change stated that your chance to get a site when you have all artifacts from that site is much lower now and this has been my experience (being psychotic and wanting to pick up another profession on my raiding dk who has the vial recipe I've masochistically entertained the idea of getting the vial recipe again on another character i dont' raid with so I've done some archaeology after the change). I'm thinking this may have been even more significant than increasing the number of shards.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter

Yah but the patch notes at the change stated that your chance to get a site when you have all artifacts from that site is much lower now and this has been my experience (being psychotic and wanting to pick up another profession on my raiding dk who has the vial recipe I've masochistically entertained the idea of getting the vial recipe again on another character i dont' raid with so I've done some archaeology after the change). I'm thinking this may have been even more significant than increasing the number of shards.

I think this is definitely true. I got lucky and finished all of the the Night Elf artifacts before I got to 100 Tol'Vir solves. Tol'Vir, Troll and Fossil came up much more frequently after that, and I didn't complain as much about the Elf keystones or Silver Scroll cases.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I got it first jar...im a lucky son of a !@#$%.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Spacehelmet:
I got it first jar...im a lucky son of a !@#$%.

Me too. But then I ended up dropping alchemy after I made my vial.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
N-N-N-NEEEEEECROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]