cross server issue - will this ever be fixed?

85 Worgen Priest
so i just got out of, yet ANOTHER cross server heroic pug where a player Qs as an important role (tank or healer) and speaks very little english, only this time it was both tank and healer and 1 other dps so my concern now is: blizzard, will you PLEASE add a strict language test to make cross server pugging within national understanding so you can communicate accordingly with your teammates? i mean this has seriously gone on long enough you guys need to fix this and pretty quick too. this isn't the first time this has happened to me but i'm pretty sure it's happened to a lot of us already and enough to make it pretty dang irritating.

take your time getting back with me, it's not like i have anything important to do right now i mean i AM just playing a video game after all ^-^ that's not really IMPORTANT, fun and relaxing, but not important.
Edited by Arheals on 4/10/2012 8:05 PM PDT
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Rogue
04/10/2012 07:59 PMPosted by Arheals
will you PLEASE add a strict language test to make cross server pugging within national understanding so you can communicate accordingly with your teammates?

The game includes areas and combine languages from different parts of North, and South America, Australia or New Zealand. In order to facilitate everyone's queue times, the servers have all been basically combined into a massive pool of players. This means you might encounter players who do not speak english, due to location or culture. , and it is not a current requirement that one knows english or whatever language to play the game. Sorry. This means you might encounter players who speak french, spanish, or portugese as a native language, and it would be impractical to completely segregate them.
86 Human Warlock
this is true, but spending repairs in game on gear that already costs plenty as is shouldn't be the player's responsibility just because the majority of finding said situation happening, if you can't limit the national social interraction for the sake of preserving positive player to player interaction and to avoid conflict between the two you could at least make effort less of a matter so this would be a tolerable matter by far. my biggest concern is having to wipe on a pug because the group i was in didn't speak english except for myself and 1 other dps, but because of that i don't get to benefit from the random heroic reward, nor do i get to save gold i shouldn't have been forced to use in the first place.

the issue boils down to why is it MY responsibility to take the consequences over something i could benefit more from and in more than one way, and with qeues being so long for dps this is an even further excellarated issue. fact is benefit is critically dropped both in game and in reality when consumers get angry at the game devs because they "choose not to address the matter due to diplomatic regulations" and become lazy to the point that they also choose not to find an alternative to resolving the matter, all while staying within national, international, and civil regulations.
100 Human Death Knight
04/10/2012 07:59 PMPosted by Arheals
blizzard, will you PLEASE add a strict language test to make cross server pugging within national understanding so you can communicate accordingly with your teammates?

Most likely will not happen -

02/22/2012 09:14 AMPosted by Nethaera
Please keep in mind that it's not feasible for us to segregate the Dungeon Finder Queues by language. This would prove only to increase the wait times to get into the Dungeon Finder which is counter to the very purpose of having this system. While it's understandable that some may find it frustrating to communicate, the game is played the same no matter what language you speak and we feel that the benefits of having these populations in the Dungeon Finder outweighs any communication issues that may occur.
85 Worgen Priest
04/10/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Kozzae
will you PLEASE add a strict language test to make cross server pugging within national understanding so you can communicate accordingly with your teammates?

The game includes areas and combine languages from different parts of North, and South America, Australia or New Zealand. In order to facilitate everyone's queue times, the servers have all been basically combined into a massive pool of players. This means you might encounter players who do not speak english, due to location or culture. , and it is not a current requirement that one knows english or whatever language to play the game. Sorry. This means you might encounter players who speak french, spanish, or portugese as a native language, and it would be impractical to completely segregate them.

it's just as unjust to expect people to deal with this matter as much as it is to segregate clients based on nations, because of this and especially when charges for active client memberships are being offered there are still civil rights being violated due to there being a one sided consequence to a dual sided act, if the matter were to have the pressure removed enough to make the stress lesser as well as all following negative results this would be no longer a problem, but rather an annoying inconvenience but not the slightest bit problematic; since gear upgrades, repairs, and enchants have become so troublesom to gain with each new level 85, the issue could just as easily be removed from the game by fixing THAT, which would make client satisfaction less of an issue. assuming the rate that battle.net keeps releasing so many promos each 1 or 2 weeks at a time this could also be a releif on their ends as well. a happy customer is a less irritating one, and with less irritation less stress and more thorough work can be done; this also means time and money can be spent on progressing business and bug fixes rather than having to jump the gun on several different features at a time just to "keep people happy".
36 Blood Elf Hunter
04/10/2012 08:10 PMPosted by Kozzae

You have to remember that many of us signed up for this game when it was Blizzard NA (North America) and actually meant NA. Players were all from the North American region and there was no Spanish or Portuguese client. We expected to always play where we could communicate with others.

Yes, yes, yes...I KNOW that there were some players who COULD speak in other languages, but look at my display. It's in English. I read quests written in English. NPC's speak to me in English. Emotes are in English. The AH is in English. Dungeon Journal is in English.

So now Blizzard NA, which is still Blizzard NA mind you, has taken on Latin America, Oceanic, and South American realms. That has changed the whole face of WoW, and not really for the better. I make sure that those realms are not in the same data center where I play so I don't get grouped with them too much, but when I do it's a tower of babel.

On top of that, many Americans are limited in their view of the world. They haven't travelled outside their country much, so they believe discussing language differences somehow equates to being racist or not politically correct. It's just nonsense. I travel internationally for business and the first question when setting up a meeting is "what languages can everyone speak" so we can hire a translator if neccessary. We don't just throw everyone into a room and tell them to point or emote. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I see the language issue as Blizzard's biggest failing right now.
Edited by Alethìa on 4/10/2012 8:45 PM PDT
85 Worgen Priest
04/10/2012 08:26 PMPosted by Maul
blizzard, will you PLEASE add a strict language test to make cross server pugging within national understanding so you can communicate accordingly with your teammates?

Most likely will not happen -

Please keep in mind that it's not feasible for us to segregate the Dungeon Finder Queues by language. This would prove only to increase the wait times to get into the Dungeon Finder which is counter to the very purpose of having this system. While it's understandable that some may find it frustrating to communicate, the game is played the same no matter what language you speak and we feel that the benefits of having these populations in the Dungeon Finder outweighs any communication issues that may occur.

i mean absolutely no disrespect to blizzard entertainment, and i honestly have no issues with cross nation interaction; however, be it cross server or otherwise, it's no more a just reason to have the players outweighed by a lack of understanding as it would be for the players who are alternatively playing on a national realm list that they were born and raised within, let alone have a full or thoroughly enough understanding of the language most commonly spoken within each national realm list. nevertheless, i do agree 100%, segregation should never be an acceptable solution and humbly apologize for making it sound as if that was my recommendation or suggestion; it's not, far from it actually. in spite of all this, neither unfair penalties in game, nor a one sided forced frustration and a "sorry, you will just have to deal with it" when we pay YOU money to play your games should be the resolve here, not when things can be made a lot less stressful in other areas to make this nothing BUT an insignificant annoyance.
85 Worgen Priest
04/10/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Alethìa

You have to remember that many of us signed up for this game when it was Blizzard NA (North America) and actually meant NA. Players were all from the North American region and there was no Spanish or Portuguese client. We expected to always play where we could communicate with others.

Yes, yes, yes...I KNOW that there were some players who COULD speak in other languages, but look at my display. It's in English. I read quests written in English. NPC's speak to me in English. Emotes are in English. The AH is in English. Dungeon Journal is in English.

So now Blizzard NA, which is still Blizzard NA mind you, has taken on Latin America, Oceanic, and South American realms. That has changed the whole face of WoW, and not really for the better. I make sure that those realms are not in the same data center where I play so I don't get grouped with them too much, but when I do it's a tower of babel.

I see the language issue as Blizzard's biggest failing right now.

this is a well spoken and highly in the right quote, it isn't segregation if players aren't forced to put up with it, but by telling us "learn to speak THEIR language or don't bother complaining" you sort of excell the problem within north american civil rights violations. now please don't confuse that for pointing the finger at you, blizzard NA, what i am merely saying is you cannot rightfully resolve the matter to represent your own image and make it a forced acceptance issue when the united states constitution clearly says otherwise. ALL forms of speech, ideas, and thoughts are welcomed freely, but also actions taken accordingly are neither above nor bellow civil laws, this includes over the internet. aside from that and in my previous posts there are greater benefits to alleviating the matter, even if acted out in alternative methods to pre-emptively avoid results that make gameplay less of a convenience and that have nothing to do with a seperation of national speech or interaction from within national realm lists.
100 Human Death Knight
Well, sorry, but you will have to deal with it. It is not feasible.

But if you really prefer to advocate longer queue times (because that is what you will get) for the sake of segregated DF groups, then you will want to take it to the General Discussion forum. There are no devs on this forum that can affect your issue.
Edited by Maul on 4/10/2012 8:48 PM PDT
86 Goblin Warlock

The industry has changed...players expect localized clients.

Their client isn't in English.

The problem you have is most of these players were already playing, you just never saw them, because you couldn't group with people on other realms. I would rather deal with people I can't understand then go back to 5 hour waits for a Heroic group.

On top of that, many Americans are limited in their view of the world. They haven't travelled outside their country much, so they believe discussing language differences somehow equates to being racist or not politically correct. It's just nonsense. I travel internationally for business and the first question when setting up a meeting is "what languages can everyone speak" so we can hire a translator if neccessary. We don't just throw everyone into a room and tell them to point or emote. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Sort of like you?

They are paying customers also, they don't deserve longer queue times, just because there isn't enough of them.
04/10/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Arheals
this is a well spoken and highly in the right quote, it isn't segregation if players aren't forced to put up with it, but by telling us "learn to speak THEIR language or don't bother complaining" you sort of excell the problem within north american civil rights violations.

Seriously....His quote was well spoken, sounds like is very critical of anything not american from where I am sitting.
85 Worgen Priest
then i will do just that, at the very least however, i would like the devs to understand it wasn't my intention to cause trouble, nor was i suggesting you solve this problem by making another one worse; in any case, there are several ways to fix the matter without having to adjust either wait qeue times or national realm list segregation actions, i have made that clear at least 2 times after all.

thank you for your time and patience with reading my customer service, in spite of there being relatively nothing done here i have faith that you will at some point come up with SOMETHING to make this less frustrating.
85 Worgen Priest
04/10/2012 08:51 PMPosted by Hathios

The industry has changed...players expect localized clients.

Their client isn't in English.

The problem you have is most of these players were already playing, you just never saw them, because you couldn't group with people on other realms. I would rather deal with people I can't understand then go back to 5 hour waits for a Heroic group.

Sort of like you?

They are paying customers also, they don't deserve longer queue times, just because there isn't enough of them.
04/10/2012 08:44 PMPosted by Arheals
this is a well spoken and highly in the right quote, it isn't segregation if players aren't forced to put up with it, but by telling us "learn to speak THEIR language or don't bother complaining" you sort of excell the problem within north american civil rights violations.

Seriously....His quote was well spoken, sounds like is very critical of anything not american from where I am sitting.

if you were told "i will sell you a video game console (or whatever product best suits your interest) that is better than any you will ever find, anywhere else, but ONLY if you can speak the language of the hundreds and thousands of people while paying us a handful of money that you or anyone could earn by walking dogs for 1 or even 2 weeks straight." does that sound any better? because from where I'M sitting your opinion of this matter is no better than mine, which if thought about wisely makes this all the more a good reason to resolve in whatever way everyone could agree on.

fact of the matter is, blizzard has neglected the people's voice on this one and went with the assumption that "all is well so long as impatient people are happier" when everyone on the planet is impatient at some point, even they are at times; truth be told, this matter is only increased if they don't find common ground that, once again, EVERYONE can be happy with. because i have yet to hear of any polls or critical announcements for the people's opinions on improving the interaction features within gameplay there is more reason to dispute the matter, which again could EASILY be resolved by addressing inconvenient penalties for having to deal with it in the first place.
6 Gnome Rogue
The answer to your title is that of course this can be fixed. When? As soon as you learn Spanish and Portuguese.
90 Tauren Hunter
04/10/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Chatte
The answer to your title is that of course this can be fixed. When? As soon as you learn Spanish and Portuguese.

I've never understand why people on these boards constantly say that the majority of the player base (English language speakers, that is) should learn to speak Spanish or Portuguese or create macros to emote in those languages but say nothing at all about them Spanish and Portuguese speakers should do the same...just doesn't make sense to me to make a majority population change the way they play the game just to appease a minority population who refuses (from the way many of these threads read) to do the same thing for us....
85 Worgen Priest
i moved my post over to general discussion, if you're really interested in trying to understand (or even help come up with a better solution than what's been said so far) follow this link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4422092758
20 Tauren Druid
04/10/2012 08:38 PMPosted by Alethìa
You have to remember that many of us signed up for this game when it was Blizzard NA (North America) and actually meant NA.

?? North America is a continent which includes the countries of the United States of America, Canada (partially french speakers) and Mexico (Spanish speaking). .... So what does being "actually NA" have to do with only speaking English exactly?

04/10/2012 08:29 PMPosted by Arheals
it's just as unjust to expect people to deal with this matter as much as it is to segregate clients based on nations

The problem is not whether it is "just", the problem is whether it is "doable." There is NO WAY to restrict what language someone speaks. Even if they separated the current NA-LA-Oceanic-BR realm group into language servers, they can't decide for people what server they roll on. All you would get is longer queue times, no access to the players on those realms that do speak English, and those who choose to roll on "English" realms that don't speak English anyways would still be in your groups occasionally.

------------------

However coming into contact with people who speak another language should not spell doom for your group, idk about you but I hardly speak in my dungeons even when everyone speaks English. At most, you would need minimal communication to get by. Fortunately for you this doesn't involve you learning any other language at all.

A few tips for dealing with players in other languages:

- Terminology: Some game terms have been adopted into other languages. Things like "efc" and "cap" are jargon frequently used even by people not speaking english, as are "dps" and "tank". Don't be afraid to throw them out there, and see if your teammates understand you. Most people at least appreciate a civil attempt to communicate.

- emotes and links: anything generated by the game is translated by the game client the player is using. If you say /yes, for example, nearby players will read that in the language of their game client. Likewise clicking item links (even ones in another language) will show a tooltip for your language.

- Google translate: Copy paste some frequently used phrases (like "don't stand in that" for PvE or "return the flag" for PvP) into macros and click on them when you need to communicate something.

The internet is a multilingual place my friend, embrace it :) As it is most of the internet is in English and the rest of the world has to adapt to that, it's not pulling any teeth to ask for players to be flexible in the rare cases when they encounter someone who speaks another language.
20 Tauren Druid
04/10/2012 09:44 PMPosted by Gantaris
.just doesn't make sense to me to make a majority population change the way they play the game just to appease a minority population who refuses (from the way many of these threads read) to do the same thing for us....

I believe you're misreading the suggestion. When someone comes to a forum seeking help you tell them what they could do to improve their situation or solve their problem. Of course people who do not speak English could accommodate in the same way but they are not the ones asking, and the answer "well the people you are having problems communicating with should just make more effort to speak English" is not something the person experiencing the problem can change, and so would not be helpful.
Edited by Tkatii on 4/10/2012 10:08 PM PDT
6 Gnome Rogue
04/10/2012 10:03 PMPosted by Tkatii
.just doesn't make sense to me to make a majority population change the way they play the game just to appease a minority population who refuses (from the way many of these threads read) to do the same thing for us....

I believe you're misreading the suggestion. When someone comes to a forum seeking help you tell them what they could do to improve their situation or solve their problem. Of course people who do not speak English could accommodate in the same way but they are not the ones asking, and the answer "well the people you are having problems communicating with should just make more effort to speak English" is not something the person experiencing the problem can change, and so would not be helpful.

That's it exactly.

YOU are the person having a problem, and learning the offending languages so you don't have problems communicating in them is what YOU can do to fix YOUR problem.

If someone came on here complaining about being unable to communicate with the English speakers in his runs, I would be telling him the exact same thing... to learn the language, or otherwise learn to communicate.

Not because I think not being able to speak English, or Spanish, or Portuguese is wrong... but because if you can't communicate with the people you are playing with, and you want that to change, then learning the language they are using is how you change that.

Your other option is to queue with a group of friends or acquaintances who you already know speak your language... whichever language that is.
100 Worgen Hunter
The idea that you shouldn't have to deal with people whose first language is different to yours because it might slightly inconvenience you is just as astoundingly ignorant and immature in this setting as it is out in the real world. This is exacerbated by the fact that the people who make these threads always, always begin by equating (either explicitly or implicity) speaking a "foreign" language to "not knowing what they're doing". It's not as if these people are playing on English-language clients, just randomly hitting buttons they literally cannot understand; many of them are likely better players than you.
Edited by Honeymoon on 4/10/2012 10:27 PM PDT
This topic has expired. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]