Leveling a Holy pally

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm leveling a Holy pally(or trying). And the biggest problem i'm having is mana, i use judgment to get the mana gain and use divine plea for the mana regain while the tanks on trash. I also use a potion that gives me a spirit boost and increased mana pool for an hour.

So here are my big problems
Is the boa i use bad?(I know there's no plate int. gear >.>)
Is there any enchants or potions you could suggest? ( i try to keep a stack of mana potions and spirit potions on me but i was wondering if there's any 48 potions that would give a great mana/spirit boost)
any enchants?

also I know i have 1 or 2 tanking pieces on .-. i haven't found anything that has plate + int. for that slot.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Spell selection is the culprit here. No heirloom paladin is going to have the armor bonus, so your cloth heirlooms don't present a problem, and I can tell you from experience that I rarely used more than 10% of my mana pool while leveling my paladin.

HS and WoG should be where the majority of your healing comes from, and holy light should be your emergency heal. Never ever touch FoL, and you'll rarely need DL until Cata content.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have about the same amount as mana as yourself. I'm not really having any issues as of right now. The main spells i use are WoG and Holy Shock. I use HS religiously when its off C/D. Honestly healing with my pally is kinda boring until i'm able to convince the tank to pull more than one group.

Why aren't you wearing the mail heirloom chest piece. As you said its kinda hard to find plate with intel at our lvls *i'm aware i can probably find stuff at the AH, but i refuse to pay 500g for something that'll be replaced in a couple of lvls* and there's a couple of shoulder pieces as well you can replace your cloth shoulders with.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I have about the same amount as mana as yourself. I'm not really having any issues as of right now. The main spells i use are WoG and Holy Shock. I use HS religiously when its off C/D. Honestly healing with my pally is kinda boring until i'm able to convince the tank to pull more than one group.

Why aren't you wearing the mail heirloom chest piece. As you said its kinda hard to find plate with intel at our lvls *i'm aware i can probably find stuff at the AH, but i refuse to pay 500g for something that'll be replaced in a couple of lvls* and there's a couple of shoulder pieces as well you can replace your cloth shoulders with.

When it comes to the shoulder pieces >.> those stupid bags don't drop them enough and i haven't had anything better for 5 levels(40-43 i got a plate int. shoulders from a dungeon bag drop)

I guess i use holy light a bit to much x.x I use that as a spam just like when the tanks in battle i use that and pop in a holy shock when i need too.....but just today i realized that the mana cost of holy shock was less than holy light .-..

I guess i gotta relearn the healing, my first expirence leveling a healer was a priest and i didn't start healing as a paladin until i learned holy because i heard they had some similarities(as in constantly healing where disc is just bubble and wait to heal when they need it) but i guess i could probably keep my mana if i use holy shock instead hehe....

thanks for the info both of you I"ll be back with results :D

Edit: Oops this is my main lol
Edited by Dawndragoon on 4/11/2012 2:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote

When it comes to the shoulder pieces >.> those stupid bags don't drop them enough and i haven't had anything better for 5 levels(40-43 i got a plate int. shoulders from a dungeon bag drop)I guess i use holy light a bit to much x.x I use that as a spam just like when the tanks in battle i use that and pop in a holy shock when i need too.....but just today i realized that the mana cost of holy shock was less than holy light .-..

I guess i gotta relearn the healing, my first expirence leveling a healer was a priest and i didn't start healing as a paladin until i learned holy because i heard they had some similarities(as in constantly healing where disc is just bubble and wait to heal when they need it) but i guess i could probably keep my mana if i use holy shock instead hehe....

thanks for the info both of you I"ll be back with results :D

Edit: Oops this is my main lol

I was referring to the heirloom chest and shoulder pieces you have as of now. In Stormwind *not sure where horde people are* the heirloom vendor has the mail chest piece with intel available for 2800ish JP and mail shoulders are there as well. I got my shoulders from Wintergrasp for like 2700 honor points. You should probably replace your cloth heirlooms with those, but really i don't think it really matter until we can do dungeons in outland.

My paladin will be my 3rd healer. I currently have a priest and druid at 85, planning on doing a monk as well. I just don't see Shamans as being fun.
Edited by Gloninn on 4/11/2012 3:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Hehe due to the fact i'm leveling a shaman slightly aside this paladin I should probably get the int. mail gear anyways.I also have a tanking offspec with the gear approprite for that too, I love being able to duel spec and keep my gear up its just fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
HOLY PALADINS FOR THE WIN
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Go into melee range and stand behind a mob and whack it with your weapon for more mana regen.

Also as stated above it might be your spell selection and/or just getting crappy tanks.
Never use flash heal unless you are desperate to get a heal off on the tank or yourself to save you.

If alot of the DPS or even just 1 are standing in bad stuff too much or drawing aggro. let them die, instead of blowing mana you can't waste on people playing badly.

You really should not be having any mana issues on a Holy Pallly at your level unless you are using too many costly spells to heal people doing dumb things.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I didn't get all-plate intel gear until getting out of Outland, so you should take whatever is the best caster piece for the slot. Also, at the low level, the all-plate bonus is not that much to go after.

I don't quest in Holy, only healing in dungeons. I'm pretty much close to full mana through the runs. My rotation is mostly Holy Shock, WoG, Holy Shock, WoG... and maybe some Holy Light / Flash of Light in between. So far up to Wrath dungeons, there isn't much to heal unless you have a really low-geared tank, or every dps tanking his own mob.
Edited by Lendis on 4/11/2012 8:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I'm also levelling a holy pally, currently in the low 30s, and for me the biggest problem is also mana, as a result of tank disparity.

I'd say more than half the time, I'm in a group with a tank who is either undergeared or unexperienced or both, and I literally have to spam Flash of Light on them just to keep them alive (I don't have Divine Light yet). This causes me to go oom insanely fast.

Occasionally I'll get a good, overgeared tank, and the run will be a breeze.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I had squishy tanks that won't last through the cast time of Holy Light or Divine Light. So my rotation was Holy Shock, WoG, FL, Holy Shock, WoG, FL,... There is no time to get more than 1 holy power, unless between pulls. Luckly, WoG is kind of OP even with 1 holy power at low levels.
Reply Quote
I don't think they really slam you for this yet, but you should be wearing plate. I'm like 99% sure that there is a BOA helmet and back with intellect available through the guild vendor. While I haven't looked, I would be surprised it there was no intellect/spirit plate at all. I vaguely remember that boa's start out as mail and then transform into plate at a certain level. Any enchant that gives intellect, you take. You can also pick up intellect with your rings and neck. Work toward plate, eventually you will get slammed for wearing anything else. I don't remember much about healing level 48 as a paladin. I leveled as ret and almost never did dungeons back then (before dungeon finder!) On a shaman, it was a snap. You should be able to beacon the tank and heal everyone else with holy light and holy shock. When you have three holy power (I think you have that then) put a full power word of glory on someone. When I'm on my shaman, the tank gets the vast majority of my heals and I just have to touch other people up. You shouldn't really have to do all that much so manna should not be a problem.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
While I haven't looked, I would be surprised it there was no intellect/spirit plate at all. I vaguely remember that boa's start out as mail and then transform into plate at a certain level.

There are no plate heirlooms with Int on them.

04/11/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Preditorr
I don't think they really slam you for this yet, but you should be wearing plate.

It's not that big a deal, and I would never sacrifice 35% bonus XP for it.
Reply Quote
04/11/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Anarri
There are no plate heirlooms with Int on them.

yes there is: Pristine Lightforge Spaulders
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
04/11/2012 11:51 AMPosted by Preditorr
I don't think they really slam you for this yet, but you should be wearing plate.

Plate specialization is at lvl 50. Before that, the only difference between plate and others is Armor value, which you don't really care being a healer. And, because of the strange stats on lowbie gear, it is much easier to get a non-plate that gives more Intel than the 5% bonus with all plate.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
I recently leveled a holy pally as well, and other than the shoulders, there really is nothing out there for armor. Back, trinkets, and weapon, but not armor. I used the mail Int BoAs through most of Outlands, and then glommed onto any plate with Int, even if it had weird other stats. By late Northrend, there are a number of BS patterns that can be made for your baby pallys.
Edited by Pipikaula on 4/11/2012 1:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Personally, for my shaman, druid, and (2nd) paladin alt I used the cloth heirlooms until I hit Northrend. XP bonus>>>int bonus until you reach that point, imo. Also, I had the full set from my mage, and there was no way I was grinding out the JP for other heirlooms.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Thanks for all the info.

Luckly i have guildies willing to run me through molten core and all level 60 raids so we're gonna try to get me the judgment set :D i will look soo cool xD.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I do have a full set of mail boa gear on my shaman...My druid and Priest both are similarly equipped.

Mystical Coif of Elements
Ancient Bloodmoon Cloak
Mystical Vest of Elements
Devout Aurastone Hammer

There should be plate boa's with intellect on it.

I accidently posted this from my alt...this is Preditorr.
Edited by Quakeroats on 4/11/2012 4:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]