Warlock Tanks

I haven't been inside Beta just reiterating what i've read and curious to know other healers feel about it. My question is 2 fold. First question is if warlocks become viable tanks *seems like its 50/50* would you feel comfortable healing them?

Second question. If warlocks are kept the way they are in beta *they are tanking right now* but are unable to que as tanks and come in with say a friend of theirs that does que as the tank and they swap roles once they get inside the dungeon would you feel comfortable healing them?

Sorry if the second question sounds confusing but i think you guys understand what i meant. Personally i'm against warlock tanks but if they were given a que slot i'll give the first couple of warlock tanks the benefit of a doubt and heal them. Depending on how those runs go would determine how i would feel the rest of the expansion. Hopefully it wouldn't feel like healing DKs again in Wrath.

If they aren't able to que as tanks and zoned into a dungeon and swapped roles with a buddy of theirs i would probably just drop group then and their. To me that's like the current problem we have with people cheating ilvl *ilvl is stupid anyway* with pvp gear to sneak into heroics.

Yes i do realize that in beta that warlock meta is vastly OP and hardly take any damage from the videos i've seen. We can expect that to change in MOP.
Edited by Gloninn on 4/11/2012 3:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
As healers i think we don't generally care one way or another if warlocks are turned into tanks.
What matter to us is that all tanks spec/classes are roughly equal in terms of viability; that all of them can be healed and synergize well with out abilities and that no one tank spec/class is completely over powered or underpowered vis-a-vis the other.

The fact the Warlock tanks are OP in beta and the fact that Ghostcrawler has stated warlocks are not supposed to tank and will be changed to reflect this fact is more or less irrelevant, because the proof will be in the pudding.

Now as for the idea that warlocks are supposed to be emergency tanks, , , well i have my doubts about the viability of the very concept. In general in my experience a half-tank is not really any tank at all when the hsit is hitting the fan, and i wonder just how useful emergency tanks will be in practice.

As a player I am quite curious and excited about warlock tanks, and i would want to be able to experience playing one. Since i don't have beta i probably never will get that opportunity.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Second question. If warlocks are kept the way they are in beta *they are tanking right now* but are unable to que as tanks and come in with say a friend of theirs that does que as the tank and they swap roles once they get inside the dungeon would you feel comfortable healing them?

I would be ok with healing them if they queued as tank and were given the toolkit to tank.
But if they pull a "I just had my friend queue with me so I could tank!" I'll drop group in a heartbeat, as odds are, they have no idea what they're doing. Good lord. If I knew them and queue'd with them (ie my druid queueing with a warlock, and he tanks and I heal and I KNOW he can do it), sure. But if you're some schmuck from, I don't know, Quel'thas, speaking broken english/Portuguese at me, trying to tell me that you'll be doing the tanking...

... my expectations will be low. Very low.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
More viable, balanced tank specs in the game with a different flavor than what is already being offered is a GOOD thing, so I have no clue why anyone would be against it.

That said, I expect Warlock Tanks to follow the same rules as the current Tanks. Unless queuing up with friends and such, the person who queued as Tank should tank.
Reply Quote
04/11/2012 06:10 AMPosted by Kiango

I would be ok with healing them if they queued as tank and were given the toolkit to tank.
But if they pull a "I just had my friend queue with me so I could tank!" I'll drop group in a heartbeat, as odds are, they have no idea what they're doing. Good lord. If I knew them and queue'd with them (ie my druid queueing with a warlock, and he tanks and I heal and I KNOW he can do it), sure. But if you're some schmuck from, I don't know, Quel'thas, speaking broken english/Portuguese at me, trying to tell me that you'll be doing the tanking...

... my expectations will be low. Very low.

lol, i only asked the 2nd question because i've seen that raised in various threads with people saying "well if blizzard don't allow us to be tanks i'm going to tank anyway" just wanted to see how the others felt about this
Reply Quote
As healers i think we don't generally care one way or another if warlocks are turned into tanks.
What matter to us is that all tanks spec/classes are roughly equal in terms of viability; that all of them can be healed and synergize well with out abilities and that no one tank spec/class is completely over powered or underpowered vis-a-vis the other.

The fact the Warlock tanks are OP in beta and the fact that Ghostcrawler has stated warlocks are not supposed to tank and will be changed to reflect this fact is more or less irrelevant, because the proof will be in the pudding.

Now as for the idea that warlocks are supposed to be emergency tanks, , , well i have my doubts about the viability of the very concept. In general in my experience a half-tank is not really any tank at all when the hsit is hitting the fan, and i wonder just how useful emergency tanks will be in practice.

As a player I am quite curious and excited about warlock tanks, and i would want to be able to experience playing one. Since i don't have beta i probably never will get that opportunity.

I was a newbie priest when Wrath came out. What was the issue with DKs that a lot of people hated healing them. I understood it was b/c damage spiked on them but what exactly caused that and what's so different about them now?

Because that's how i feel everyone might look at warlock tanks being eventually if this comes to pass.
Edited by Gloninn on 4/11/2012 1:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Let me make this clear:

Screw your pet.

I will never heal the little bugger, I will LOLOLOLOL when I see it die because you left it's taunt on.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
But if you're some schmuck from, I don't know, Mal'Ganis, speaking broken English/being a douche in general, trying to tell me that you'll be doing the tanking...

Fixed. :D

But in all seriousness, I'm rather looking forward to it. I'm at least going to give it a chance before I pass judgment.

Edit: No offense was intended in the quote.
Edited by Akaeya on 4/11/2012 1:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
all i really care about is if they get instant tank ques so i can level a lock really fast
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
./shrugs, sure I will heal them, if they are viable tanks, same as any other viable tank. If they are anything like the few leftover frost DKs attempting to tank that I have seen in Cata, then no, I will not only not heal them, I will kick them the instant I am allowed to do so.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Guys, they're not viable tanks, by Blizzard's own admission. You won't be able to queue as a tank in LFD/LFR.

Get with the times, and don't necro.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I think that even with what ghostcrawler says warlocks can still be viable tanks. The have tons of tools for it and they can hold aggro really well. i don't see a reason why we wouldn't be able to que as tanks or that healers wouldn't heal us.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
This was something I was really excited about. A completely new flavour of tank that gives warlocks some more options. It's a real let down that they've decided to just remove the option all together
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Stop !@#$ing necroing!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]