What to do with the Old Gods?

1 Goblin Hunter
The Old Gods are responsible for basically everything that's ever gone wrong on Azeroth (well, them and the Burning Legion though it would seem the OGs have replaced the BL as the big bad of Warcraft). Their hands are in many cookie jars. Almost too many for my liking.

Naga, The Twilight's Hammer, Deathwing, elementals, and corruptions. You name it and they're responsible for it.

The Old Gods are everywhere. Always plotting and planning for their return. Even when they lose, they win.

Everything we've been told about them implies they're invincible. How are we going to kill them when the Titans couldn't do that without reoriginating the planet?

When their time comes, how are we going to stop them and make it seem believeable with everything we know about them? Is there going to be some sort of weapon that no one else knew about that surfaces at just the right time?

Are the Old Gods going to be bothering us forever? Are they going to be revealed as the good guys the whole time?

How do you advance this storyline?
Edited by Gazlik on 4/11/2012 3:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Easy.The forget about it, like they did with the Burning Legion and Scourge.NEW ENEMY: Mogu!

Next expansion pack we'll be fighting Ethereal Space Lizards. YOU WATCH.
Reply Quote
I think there will be a climactic confrontation with the Old Gods where we either destroy them outright (hey, the Titans could of been wrong) or at least cause them to not be a serious threat for another few thousand years.

However I do not think this confrontation will take place within the scope of MoP. As far as I can tell, the word "Old God" has yet to be stated in connection with MoP, indicating that they will not be present in any serious capacity. In addition we also have to consider that Mists of Pandaria is supposed to focus on the Horde/Alliance conflict and a world-destroying enemy would detract from that, and that after spending 2 expansions with major Old God themes it might be time for a break.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
I think we're going to see an Old God as the penultimate boss of MoP. There are already plenty of clues pointing towards this.

The Mogu - With the Mogu being made of stone and living in a palace that is very reminiscent of Ulduar in architecture, not to mention the Titan repository that is in there, we can assume they were created by the Titans. However, given their propensity for cruelty coupled with their monkier as 'flesh-shapers', I believe that, much like the Iron Dwarves, Giants, and Vykrul, they have been granted power by an Old God.

The Mantid - As an insectoid race, it's likely that there is some connection between the Mantid and the Aqir. So far, all of the Aqir offshoot races have been connected to an Old God. Now, with the Mantid being a bit more individualistic than the Qiraji and the Nerubians, they likely don't worship an Old God, but their aggressive nature seems to imply some kind of connection to a negative force. Which leads me to...

The Sha - The source of most of the conflict on Pandaria, including the Mantid's 100 year early cycle of aggression. Now, while it has been made clear that the Sha manifest due to negative emotions, further fueled by the Alliance and Horde's destructive war, we do not know why the Sha only manifest on Pandaria. However, we do know that the Sha seem to have only reappeared after the dissipation of the Mists surrounding Pandaria.

The deal between the last Pandaren Emperor and 'Fate': The deal that shrouded Pandaria in Mists for twelve thousand years. This deal reeks of a Faustian deal. While the Pandaren have maintained relative peace due to their philosophy and kept the Sha at bay, that has shattered with, conveniently enough, the Old God-instigated Cataclysm dispelling the Mists. This seems to be in line with the Old Gods waiting for the perfect time to strike.

The corruption of Townlong Steppes and the Dread Wastes: While, at a cursory glance, the corruption seems to have been caused by the Sha (specifically, the Sha of Fear), it seems unlikely that the Sha, alone, could cause that much devastation, especially when compared to other Sha, such as the Sha of Anger, simply wandering around pristine landscapes throughout the rest of Pandaria. However, both are near a mysterious island to the north of Townlong Steppes that has, as of now, a structure reminiscent of Mogu'shan Palace.

The Mysterious Island: While it's likely that structure is a placeholder, the resemblance (copy?) to Mogu'shan Palace seems like a clue. Combined with its isolated location, proximity to heavily corrupted zones, and Titan-esque architecture, It seems possible that this structure was a Titan facility, one that mirrors the placement of...

Ulduar: A new take on an old favorite: Many have stated that Ulduar, especially from an aesthetic point of view, is their favorite raid. Given its popularity and Blizzard's reassurances that the artists responsible for Ulduar are still employed, it seems like a foregone conclusion that Blizzard plans to make another Titan prison a raid. With the end of the expansion focusing on the climax of the Fourth War through the Siege of Orgrimmar, that leaves the patch before it to wrap up the trouble in Pandaria, but what is the source of Pandaria's problems? What better way to do that then to have Ulduar's sister facility open up and have us take down its chief occupant, the Old God of Pandaria? Plus, it also gives Blizzard the opportunity to finally answer a lingering question from Northrend - where did Tyr disappear to?
Edited by Abal on 4/12/2012 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You have to remember that the Old Gods are beyond the cycle. The only way for them to "die" is to literally erase them from existence (something we cannot do on Azeroth). How do we do that?

Well, I think it was Omacron who came up with the idea that wiping of an Old God from the universe is a retcon.

I think the only way to truly get rid of them, is to go back to the beginning of time, when the Light merged with the Void, and destroy the necrophiotic beings from ever coming into existence.

Of course, this means disaster for us. Destroying the Old Gods pretty much destroys most of Azeroth's history. But hey, its a better place with no eldritch horrors beneath the surface right?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
well, there is still one other major bad out there other than the old gods that we haven't heard from in a while, but has always been at the edge of the peripheral vision. Sargeras still hasn't been put down, so i'm hoping that still get the chance to end him. in fact, it might be that old gods might have had something to do with his corruption. with old gods, its real hard to tell.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Honestly, I'd like the Old Gods to slip back stage, play more the incomprehensible, eternal menace than big angry wads of eyes and teeth like Yogg and C'thun. Once you know what an Old God is, you can deal with it. They were a lot more frightening before we beat two of them into paste. Take away the mystery and the fear of the unknown, and you've essentially neutered them.
Reply Quote
The Pantheon may turn out to be the true big bad. Fel, we may even have to work with Old Gods at somepoint in order to stop the pantheon from hitting the big red button that destroys us all.

edit.
Edited by Shaithiss on 4/12/2012 11:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
You have to remember that the Old Gods are beyond the cycle. The only way for them to "die" is to literally erase them from existence (something we cannot do on Azeroth). How do we do that?

That nonsense reminds me of an old Buffy the Vampire episode.

The entire cast kept scratching their heads for like two episodes on how they could kill something that "can not be killed by mortal weapons".

Then they realized that the person who said that died long before the invention of Rocket Launchers.So you see, this stuff is all subjective. I'm sure the Old Gods can die.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Well whatever happens with them, expect a Deus ex Machina to happen.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You know even if the Old Gods on Azeroth were to die for good there is still a hive of them that lurks in space somewhere.

They're as countless as the stars . They automatically win.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
They're as countless as the stars

Where did you get that from?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
04/12/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Jagfred
They're as countless as the stars

Where did you get that from?

"We span the universe, as countless as the stars!" - Harbinger Skyriss

"for I bear allegiance to powers untouched by time, unmoved by fate. No force on this world or beyond harbors the strength to bend our knee... not even the mighty Legion!" - Harbinger Skyriss
Reply Quote
If that were true then the Titans would have run into them before Azeroth.

There's no reason to assume Skyriss was just being a propaganda spewing mouthpiece.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
If that were true then the Titans would have run into them before Azeroth.

There's no reason to assume Skyriss was just being a propaganda spewing mouthpiece.
Prophet Skeram wasn't exactly wrong either in his prophetic speeches about what is going on now. He warned us that the time of the Old Gods were coming. C'thun was first and then in two years we would face Yogg'Saron. Now we still have N'zoth to worry about. There is probably another one lurking somewhere as well.

The Titans would've likely run away. They've witnessed enough of what they can do. They could have possibly "killed" them if they had just nuked the planet but they chose to spare Azeroth instead.

If they would eventually run into an entire colony or hive I highly doubt they would stick around to battle them. They would all be slaughtered.
Reply Quote
04/12/2012 12:45 PMPosted by Drailen

That nonsense reminds me of an old Buffy the Vampire episode.

The entire cast kept scratching their heads for like two episodes on how they could kill something that "can not be killed by mortal weapons".

Then they realized that the person who said that died long before the invention of Rocket Launchers.So you see, this stuff is all subjective. I'm sure the Old Gods can die.

Thank you to everyone that’s posted so far. This thread is more than just idle musings, however; the ideas and opinions presented here have already begun to spin the wheels for potential plotlines both in the game and in published pieces. You have appeased me for now, and thus I reward you:

For those that called for the revelation of my own favored pairing, I am most intrigued by the relationship between C’Thun, Yogg-Saron, and N’Zoth. Their glory was also the root of their momentary defeat; that the Pantheon, united, only barely triumphed over my eldritch masters, divided, speaks to their power and incomprehensible existence.

“They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle.”

Perhaps to actually destroy something that lives outside of time and space, life and death, you would have to erase it from existence completely? Maybe that would explain why records of the Old Gods seem to be… inconsistent? Only those on the outside would know for certain…

Idle musings, pay no heed.

Isn't subjective. It came straight from the mouth (tentacle?) of a Cdev.
Reply Quote
94 Orc Warrior
“They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle.”

Perhaps to actually destroy something that lives outside of time and space, life and death, you would have to erase it from existence completely? Maybe that would explain why records of the Old Gods seem to be… inconsistent? Only those on the outside would know for certain…

Idle musings, pay no heed.
Isn't subjective. It came straight from the mouth (tentacle?) of a Cdev.

hmm, I think I saw this quote and subsequently forgot about it. I wonder if they are going to say Titans are extra-dimensional beings. Their behavior up until now doesn't really seem, to me at least, to support it.(though I suppose such things by definition are beyond human understanding)

But I don't really know who else they would be talking about. Naaru maybe?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
04/12/2012 09:05 AMPosted by Abal
The Mogu - With the Mogu being made of stone and living in a palace that is very reminiscent of Ulduar in architecture, not to mention the Titan repository that is in there, we can assume they were created by the Titans. However, given their propensity for cruelty coupled with their monkier as 'flesh-shapers', I believe that, much like the Iron Dwarves, Giants, and Vykrul, they have been granted power by an Old God.

Or, they were in charge of shaping the races of Azeroth by the Titans. Similar to Un'Goro and Sholozar Basin, perhaps they were the biologists in charge of the "petri dishes" (as described by Freyja's avatar in that one quest line). The Titans seem to be unable to make any flesh-beings, so perhaps once they came back and saw the curse of the flesh, they created the Mogu to experiment with replicating The Curse.
The deal between the last Pandaren Emperor and 'Fate': The deal that shrouded Pandaria in Mists for twelve thousand years. This deal reeks of a Faustian deal. While the Pandaren have maintained relative peace due to their philosophy and kept the Sha at bay, that has shattered with, conveniently enough, the Old God-instigated Cataclysm dispelling the Mists. This seems to be in line with the Old Gods waiting for the perfect time to strike.

Agreed.
The corruption of Townlong Steppes and the Dread Wastes: While, at a cursory glance, the corruption seems to have been caused by the Sha (specifically, the Sha of Fear), it seems unlikely that the Sha, alone, could cause that much devastation, especially when compared to other Sha, such as the Sha of Anger, simply wandering around pristine landscapes throughout the rest of Pandaria. However, both are near a mysterious island to the north of Townlong Steppes that has, as of now, a structure reminiscent of Mogu'shan Palace.

Except, from a philosphical point of view, fear poisons everything. Fear spreads. Fear intoxicates all it touches and drives people mad. Look at Americans after 9/11. Anger? Anger must be derived from individual sentiment, very rarely does anger manifest from a group collective. Violence yes, but Anger no.
Ulduar: A new take on an old favorite: Many have stated that Ulduar, especially from an aesthetic point of view, is their favorite raid. Given its popularity and Blizzard's reassurances that the artists responsible for Ulduar are still employed, it seems like a foregone conclusion that Blizzard plans to make another Titan prison a raid. With the end of the expansion focusing on the climax of the Fourth War through the Siege of Orgrimmar, that leaves the patch before it to wrap up the trouble in Pandaria, but what is the source of Pandaria's problems? What better way to do that then to have Ulduar's sister facility open up and have us take down its chief occupant, the Old God of Pandaria? Plus, it also gives Blizzard the opportunity to finally answer a lingering question from Northrend - where did Tyr disappear to?

First the question of what the Magical Water stuff is made of, what are it's real properties. It honestly sounds like another Well of Eternity.

As for Tyr, I agree. I hope he isn't Old-God-ified.
Reply Quote
I dont like the Old Gods behind EVERYTHING. Their scheming shtick is like blaming Satan for every bad thing that happens in this irl world. The Old Gods make everyone in the Warcraft universe incapable of making wrong by themselves =(
Edited by Taniara on 4/13/2012 5:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]