Stop trying to balance the game on healers.

90 Blood Elf Priest
SSC
With MoP it seems once again your trying to balance the game on healers. This was not a fun thing at the start of Cata and I very much doubt it will be fun with MoP. Why is it every expansion healers have to be changed so much? No other role seems to be changed as much every expansion, many of us are happy with the current state of healing.

Side Note: Can priests please quit getting the garabage spells for hitting max lvl. This will be the third expansion in a row where we get a spell that is both not very cool but seems to have very little value.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Because DPS get to avoid all responsibility.
And tanks have enough on there plates.

Because the group fails when we go OOM.Anything that makes us not the lynchpin of everything, will change our healing model more than anything blizzard has ever tried.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Healers are the glue that keep the raid together. And to be honest, there's only so many ways to balance content:

Self awareness: Each player is responsible for executing raid mechanics properly.
Raid damage: Unavoidable raid damage healers must handle.
Tank damage: Tanks and healers must coordinate cooldowns and healing accordingly.
DPS checks: Damage dealers are responsible for reaching the DPS requirement but healers will have to sit/respec if they can't.

I'd rather have to heal harder than to play boomkin tbh.

04/12/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Genada
Side Note: Can priests please quit getting the garabage spells for hitting max lvl. This will be the third expansion in a row where we get a spell that is both not very cool but seems to have very little value.

Cascade isn't good enough for you?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I prefer Healers to be the failing point of the encounter, as long as it's not hopeless. I like the responsibility, and I prefer to carry the burden than to have to trust others to do it and feel like I have no control over the success or failure of the encounter. I'd rather fail an encounter because *I* mishandled something, or because *I* was pushed too hard than to fail an encounter because someone else did.

I know that I can improve, I know that I will learn from my mistakes; but when the burden is someone else's, I can do nothing to fix the problem except be patient and hope they do better next time. I don't like feeling passive or helpless in the progression of my team: I enjoy feeling like I have real impact in the encounter. It quite literally is the only reason I am a Healer.

Maybe I'm just selfish like that. Aside from the fact that Shaman were horribly underpowered at the start of Cata, when mana mattered most, I personally prefer triage healing and resource management to be more entertaining than endless PoH/Renew/Rejuv/ChainHeal/HolyRadiance spam.

If you don't like the responsibility of healing, why do you heal? If you like spamming spells, roll a Mage or an Elemental Shaman. In my opinion, healing ought to involve examining the situation, doing maths, prioritizing targets and spells on the fly, and casting spells deliberately. It should be a difficult role, but it is the difficulty and responsibility which makes it rewarding.

I personally think Life Grip is an awesome skill. If you don't like it I might suggest that you're either not using it correctly (or at all), or you have little sense of humor.

PS: This entire post is entirely opinion. You're not right or wrong, I'm not right or wrong. Just know that there are people out here, like myself, who feel exactly opposite as you do.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
All specs change each expansion, not just healers. Just looking at Wrath to Cata:

-Tanks were VASTLY changed by having their personal survivability lowered. In Wrath, Tanks could literally complete instances without the help of a healer. In Cata, things were changed to where Tanks had to wait and/or be aware of a healer's mana pool as the tank had no chance of surviving a spawn by his own defenses.

-DPS had to be very careful with AoE. In Wrath the model was plain and simple: you had your ST rotation that you used when facing 1 or 2 foes and you had your AoE rotation that you would use when you encountered 3 or more foes and you didn't really care about much else. Cata not only required DPS to be more aware of the battlefield in case of breaking CC or killing some targets too early or too late, but they made movement and damage mitigation CDs relevant that DPS specs usually skipped or didn't use and added a TON more RNG mechanics that made DPS numbers unpredictable.

EDIT: Might I also add that the RNG mechanics change for DPS almost completely killed the ElitistJerks website that everyone use to know and love.
Edited by Obliquatur on 4/12/2012 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I wanna see fights where the DPS has to be aware they are standing in crap
I wanna see fights where you have to PAY ATTENTION, not just click rotation and occasionally hit a button
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I wanna see fights where you have to PAY ATTENTION, not just click rotation and occasionally hit a button

H Yorsajh, dps cannot stand at far range for Red.
N/H Hagara, dps have to move before Ice Wall hits them.
H Blackhorn, barrage/onslaught/fire
H Spine, you can be rolled off in not in the right place or exploded by a Amalg
N/H Madness, if the bolt lands on you, killing Blisterings, Parasite placement, Blood control.

H Rag, traps/seeds/lava waves/not standing in breath, meteor control.
Domo, moving out of his leaps.
H Bale, crystal tanking and countdown.
H Shannox, trapping the dogs.
H Alys, Firestorm, Lava Spew, Fiery Tornado.
etc etc

H Ascendant Council, EVERYTHING.

Beta Jade Temple
1st boss, standing in poison water.
2nd boss (Anger/Strife), not controlling dps will wipe if stacks go too high.
3rd boss, fire kills quickly.

There have been very few fights where you do not need to know mechanics. There are certainly fights that require more awareness, but typically people complain that they are too hard (H Ascendant Council). Although it would be great to see a whole tier at that level of difficulty.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I uh. . .I thought they were trying to balance the healers with the healers. They have to partially balance encounters around healers, but so too the tanks.

Inevitably though, in a game where part of your success depends on avoiding the bad things, and people being human and making mistakes, a large part will depend on healers. All the extra hoo-hah devs toss into encounters is, imo, just to keep healers busy and vital. Otherwise you'd only need one or two heals in 25s and one in tens (or just a couple hybrids).
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
04/12/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Genada
Can priests please quit getting the garabage spells for hitting max lvl. This will be the third expansion in a row where we get a spell that is both not very cool but seems to have very little value.

life swap...? how is that garbage....?

It's a LoH essentially with no forbearance debuff. Yeah it takes you down health, but it's better than your tank dying.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/12/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Obliquatur
EDIT: Might I also add that the RNG mechanics change for DPS almost completely killed the ElitistJerks website that everyone use to know and love.

Uhm... no it hasn't?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
04/12/2012 09:54 AMPosted by Obliquatur

EJ forums took a nosedive well before ICC came out.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

stuffs

There have been very few fights where you do not need to know mechanics. There are certainly fights that require more awareness, but typically people complain that they are too hard (H Ascendant Council). Although it would be great to see a whole tier at that level of difficulty.

unfortunately for me, most are heroic and with my play/work schedule(60+hr work weeks are FUN) I won't see heroics :(
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
EJ forums took a nosedive well before ICC came out.

Not so sure about that one. There was still EJ chatter going on well into the second month of Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Cata was the expansion where healers weren't the center of the universe and the other roles had to take care of themselves. How long did that survive? A patch?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
04/12/2012 09:48 AMPosted by Caleko
If you don't like the responsibility of healing, why do you heal? If you like spamming spells, roll a Mage or an Elemental Shaman. In my opinion, healing ought to involve examining the situation, doing maths, prioritizing targets and spells on the fly, and casting spells deliberately. It should be a difficult role, but it is the difficulty and responsibility which makes it rewarding.

The problem is, of course, that unless a proportional number of people agree (find healing “fun”), they don’t play healers. If no one plays heals, DPS isn’t fun and neither is tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
04/13/2012 05:44 AMPosted by Amoque
The problem is, of course, that unless a proportional number of people agree (find healing “fun”), they don’t play healers. If no one plays heals, DPS isn’t fun and neither is tanking.

On the opposite extreme, if you strip a fight of its mechanics then the need for a healer is completely relieved. Why use three DPS when you can use four? I'm not sure how increasing the responsibility of the DPS by having them avoid or give attention towards mechanics won't by extension increase the burden of healers when those mechanics are even partially ignored. If you can suggest a different model that somehow manages to not ultimately result in a healer's mana being sacrificed, then I'd definitely entertain the thought.

Also, if all mechanics can be ignored or just don't exist, then I'm not sure how a DPS could have any fun either. By this point, it has little to do with what role you are playing and mostly to do with what PvE has evolved into. A training dummy in Stormwind would result in the same, infinite amount of "fun" that a HoT boss fight would provide you for 2 minutes.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I want to start using my healers again, but i just wont tolerate this crap.

I wont tolerate Blizzard changing our role every single time, and nerfing/throwing all the responsability on us again and again and again every single time.

I'm sick of this. INstead of nerfing us, or giving us !@#$ty mana why dont you make so that boss aoe spells reduce the dps OUTPUT, SO THAT THEY ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT MOVING OF THE %^-*ING BIG BLACK/RED/YELLOW CIRCLE.

Blizzard, you learned in the past that it was stupid to ask the DPS to stop DPSING to save resources. Its just as stupid for healers too.

We dont want to be resource restrained, we WANT TO HEAL, we made the healer char to heal, not to stand in there without doing anything or spamming and crappy efficient heal.

I'm !@#$ing sick of this %^-*.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]