Guide to Rath Strat AV's (Update Coming Soon)

90 Undead Mage
3/28/14 Update: In preparation for returning these games to the public for which they were created to serve, I will be revamping and updating this guide with the most relevant information there is regarding the Rath Strat AV's, where to find them and how to join. Stay tuned.

Table of Contents
Post #1
√ A. Index
√ B. News and Upates
¤ C. Guide Change Log

Post #2
√ A. What is "Rath Strat AV"?
√ B. History
¤ C. Relevant Links

Post #3
√ A. Requirements
√ B. Recommendations

Post #4
√ A. How to Join
¤ B. How It Works
¤ C. Expectations and Conduct

Post #5
¤ A. Recognized, Designated, and Known Premade Organizers/Leads.

Post #6
¤ A. Frequently Asked Questions

Post #7

4-12-12 @ 6:12pm: Building the Index and Rough Draft for the informative page.

Edited by Rathamus on 3/28/2014 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

Rath Strat AV's are designed to not only guarantee you win nearly every game of AV, but to also deny the Alliance any real honor for their time spent. This strategy will shut down any "Zerg" strategy deployed against the Horde by forcing them to PVP, and in the end award a large number of Honorable Kills and Honor Points (Conquest Points on AV Holiday Weekends) without it feeling like a grind.

If you miss PVP'ing in a PVP BG such as AV and you tire of the PVE experience it has been degraded to, you will enjoy the Epic experience that these games will provide not only through large scale battles and combat (as intended for AV), but through teamwork, coordination, a positive and friendly environment, and player recognition for heroic deeds and personal achievements.

Games typically run for 30-45 minutes with some exceptions being made for premades. (If I am running the premade and I realize we are facing another premade, I will personally drag the game out as long as humanly possible to punish the other team. Games such as these can take between 1 hour 15 minutes to 3 hours, awarding Horde 500-700 HK's)

A word of warning. Once you experience these premades, you won't ever look at Alterac Valley the same again.

Rath Strat AV's came about near the end of the "Burning Crusade" expansion (Fourth Quarter of 2008). Rathamus created this strategy after careful analysis of the battleground terrain features, tower and bunker placement, graveyard locations, residing NPC's, and starting cave points was made and a strategy was born that is still followed today.

It was originally dubbed the "300 Strat" (influenced by the popular major motion picture) because at the time, bonus honor from HK's was not factored into the post game report screen; which more often than not, displayed 0 honor earned for the Alliance and maximum honor was earned for the Horde. This happened because they were denied any of the honor gained through downing Galv or Towers, and failing to save their own Belinda and their Bunkers. These games typically have a success of winning over 99.9% of games*.

Once Wrath of the Lich King was released, a revamped honor system factored in some degree of bonus honor for honorable kills (thus it was impossible to display 0 honor) and those in the community changed the name to "Rath Strat" in honor of it's creator. (I swear I had nothing to do with it, but the name stuck)

Over the years, adaptations and small modifications have been made to adjust for Blizzard made changes and improvements to increase efficiency but the core of the strategy has not changed.

The core strategy is openly shared and visible via numerous blogs, threads, and videos posted over the years. Look no further than Google to find them or you can view the relevant links I have posted below later in this guide. You are not required to research the strategy to participate as the raid leaders responsible for organizing and leading these games cover what needs to be done every game.

There are a number of people who have stepped up within the community to lead these and on Alterac Valley Weekends, it is not uncommon to see 3 full premades running on the World of Warcraft Public Vent.

*Based on the experience of games lead by Rathamus. As of April of 2012, over 740 victories have been claimed wih only 2 losses. (discussion and arguments on the validity or difficulty in achieving this will be noted in this thread)
Edited by Rathamus on 4/12/2012 6:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

Level and Faction - You must be level 90 and of the Horde faction to participate in the "mainstream" Rath Strat AV premade groups.

Class - There is no requirement for you to play a particular class or toon. We strongly urge you to play what YOU enjoy or want to bring. Generally if there is more or less a need for healers and you happen to have a healing class, it is up to you if you want to bring it to help the raid fill it's needs.

Gear - There is no real gear requirement for the Rath Strat AV's. We do suggest strongly that you have at least made an effort in attaining some of the craftable PVP gear if you have freshly hit 90. Outside of this, both experienced raiders and pvp'ers are welcome to use PVP or PVE sets that they feel would be most beneficial to the raid.

Ventrilo - You will be required to have installed a Voice over IP (VoIP) software called Ventrilo, which is made by Flagship Industries, Inc. The official website for this is www.ventrilo.com. This software allows voice communication with large groups of people.
Please note: You are NOT required to have a microphone but you will need to be able to listen in the room.

World of Warcraft Public Vent - If and when you have installed "Ventrilo", you will need to connect to the World of Warcraft Public Ventrilo server.
The World of Warcraft Public Vent
Server IP: wow.publicvent.org
Server Port: 4135
Password: (Leave this blank as there is no password, this is a public service)

Once connected to the server, the premade leader will give you the "Room Name" to join to participate.

##I will write a guide in the future and place a link to it here to better inform players who are not familiar with Ventrilo on how to connect to servers, adjust their settings, and help troubleshoot known issues.

Addons -
    BattleGround Targets
    Healers Have to Die
These can both be obtained from www.curse.com. Battleground Targets will allow you to easily target and see all the players of the opposing faction and make it easy to identify their healers. Healers Have to Die must be used with your HUD settings set to display "nametags" for the enemy players. Healers will have a big "+" mark on them so you can easily target them when close.

Gear -
Frostwolf Insignia: Aside from being decked out in the latest and greatest pvp gear, the most beneficial item you can get that will help the raid would be your "Frostwolf Insignia". This item will allow you to teleport to the Frostwolf Keep after a brief cast time. This is EXTREMELY useful to have as a number of people can quickly respond to any threat in the Keep without having to ride there. Carriers of the insignia's are respected and saluted.

"Ventrilo Normalization" - There is a series of settings you can adjust within your Ventrilo client that will make everyone have the same volume level, regardless if they are too quiet or too loud. You can google "Ventrilo Normalization" to find them. Very helpful.
Edited by Rathamus on 3/28/2014 6:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
This section is out of date and is being rewritten soon to reflect the latest changes on how to participate in these games.

At this time, the Premade Leaders and Mods are hosting the games openly in unpassworded Ventrilo channels on the World of Warcraft Public Vent. Generally, these games are hosted in the "War Rooms" area at the top of the server. This is liable to change at any time. Please check here often to see if this changes

If there is a game currently in progress:
1. Ensure that you meet the requirements listed in the Requirements section of this thread above.

2. Log onto the World of Warcraft Public Vent (login details posted above) and join into a War Room channel that has a large number of people in it (chances are they are running a Rath Strat AV premade).

3. - If you have a mic, wait for a break in the chatter or until they are out of a game and then politely ask who is leading and if you may join.
- If you do NOT have a mic, you can either open a private chat (a ventrilo function) with one of the leads/mods/organizers and ask for an invite.

4. Those that are leading the premade generally have their "RealID" listed in their Ventrilo Comment for your convenience. You will need to add their email address to your RealID/Friends list.
IMPORTANT: For your security and assumed comfort, premade leaders post their RealID's so that no one has to know yours. In rare instances, technical difficulty may be experienced and you may have to give the organizer your RealID so that they may manually add you. You will not be asked to publicly release your RealID and your RealID will remain confidential.

5. Once your RealID request is accepted, whisper the raid leader directly in game and again ask to join or be added to the waitlist. You will be informed that you are either added to the waitlist or you will be invited to the raid when the game currently in session is over.
Note: If after a game or two you have not been yet added, there is a chance that the Raid/Premade Lead's RealID list is full (there is a limit of 100) and they will need a gentle reminder to either accept you or look into the possibility their RealID list is full at which point they will need clear some people off to make room for your request.

6. Be patient and wait for instructions from the Raid/Premade Leader. If you have questions that arent addressed in this comprehensive thread, do not hesitate to ask on vent.

7. Enjoy and most importantly, have fun!

If there are NO current games running:
1. Ensure that you meet all the Requirements that are listed above in this thread.

2. Log on to the World of Warcraft Public Vent and drop into one of the active (in use by players) War Room channels and ask if there is a premade under way or forming up.

3. If there are no Rath Strat AV premades running currently and you are interested in joining one when it comes available, DON'T LOG OUT! Please join the "Silent Lobby" and sit tight. Only premade organizers/leads/mods are able to speak in this channel. They will drop into this channel when they are forming up a Rath Strat AV premade and ask all that are interested to join one of the War Rooms they announce they will be using.

4. Continue on to the instructions from line 5 above in the first part of Section A in this post.
Edited by Rathamus on 3/28/2014 6:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Reserved
Edited by Rathamus on 4/12/2012 8:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Post # 6

Reserved
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Reserved

(Did you know there is a 5000 character limit per post?)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
One final Reserve for good measure.

(There sure is a lot of information to share! Felt it was very important to make as comprehensive and complete guide as I possibly could for the growing Rath Strat AV premade community.)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I know, another Reserve Slot. I lied.

(Reservations are Legit)
Edited by Rathamus on 4/12/2012 10:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
04/13/2012 05:56 AMPosted by Paetheas
Rath Strat AV's came about near the end of the "Burning Crusade" expansion (Fourth Quarter of 2008). Rathamus created this strategy after careful analysis of the battleground terrain features, tower and bunker placement, graveyard locations, residing NPC's, and starting cave points was made and a strategy was born that is still followed today.

It's called scorched earth and the strat was made years before you.

Props on helping promote pvp in such a terrible BG, though.

That is a distinct possibility and something that has been brought up a number of times. However, at the time I had neither heard of that strategy, nor saw it in practice at any time within my realm OR within the Reckoning Battlegroup (when the realms were consolidated into such).

And thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Rath - I respect your strategy - it looks fun for you guys. AV is my favorite map, and I will always be Alliance. Alliance will beat this strat, as futile as that may sound. I only wish I could queue up specifically against it. I have 1:45 to realize it's you, muster up in the cave, and convince 39 others of the strategy.

1. We cap IBGY at the beginning, and use 25+ to defend it. We use the Iceblood choke in reverse and defend the graveyard until it caps. We stay focused on said graveyard because it will cut the map in half, rendering other choke points save for FWV irrelevant.

2. We'll have to keep SHGY in the meantime, which is no small feat. We will have our best troops ready for the Horde initial advance and, if necessary, die defending our Graveyard

3. We will send 3-4 max resi players to East or West Frostwolf Tower, recapping those towers will require removing experienced players from the front, and by this time, your healers will be oom or dead.

After that, it's anyone's game:-)

To Battle!
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I think a one of the points of this guide, along with informing fellow Horde members of how to run the strat and being helpful to our community, is to foster healthy competition for good fights. 'Cause believe it or not most of us enjoy a good fight. But of course no one likes losing.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Since the 2nd Thread for Rath Strat AV's capped again, moving the www.rathamus.com link to here and using this thread to continue constructive discussions and theory crafting behind Rath Strat AV's.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I've gone over what I thought was a rather good counter strat for Rath with Chewy, he said it'd be easy to counter for an aware leader, if you'd be willing to give some outlook on it Rath i'd appreciate.
Reply Quote
3 Worgen Warrior
Rath - I respect your strategy - it looks fun for you guys. AV is my favorite map, and I will always be Alliance. Alliance will beat this strat, as futile as that may sound. I only wish I could queue up specifically against it. I have 1:45 to realize it's you, muster up in the cave, and convince 39 others of the strategy.

1. We cap IBGY at the beginning, and use 25+ to defend it. We use the Iceblood choke in reverse and defend the graveyard until it caps. We stay focused on said graveyard because it will cut the map in half, rendering other choke points save for FWV irrelevant.

2. We'll have to keep SHGY in the meantime, which is no small feat. We will have our best troops ready for the Horde initial advance and, if necessary, die defending our Graveyard

3. We will send 3-4 max resi players to East or West Frostwolf Tower, recapping those towers will require removing experienced players from the front, and by this time, your healers will be oom or dead.

After that, it's anyone's game:-)

To Battle!

Like i said in an ealier post. Ive led a pug group to a win against a horde premade and it was using the above strat. But it takes at least most listening and some good players. The AV layout really really REALLY favors the horde. Its embarrassing that the bgs are almost always laid out in the hordes favor
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
04/18/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Anastaszia
I've gone over what I thought was a rather good counter strat for Rath with Chewy, he said it'd be easy to counter for an aware leader, if you'd be willing to give some outlook on it Rath i'd appreciate.

I would be happy to review it and give my input and strategic response.

Please either send it to "rathamus@rathamus.com" or catch me on the World of Warcraft Public Vent and discuss it with me there.

this is an awful lot of writing for a "strat" that is just 40 people turtling an AV

As was mentioned before, it is designed to be as friendly and informative as possible for players who may be completely new to the Premades or the community/group itself; be comfortable joining and understanding how the process works.
Edited by Rathamus on 4/19/2012 1:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Priest
This should be called "Rath's Scorched Earth premades", as its not a original strat, its merely adapting the scorched earth strat applied by Horde in some battle groups back in BC.

Stormstrike and Bloodlust Horde PUGs were the pioneers of this strat, they were also the reason why the horde cave got moved back after alliance stopped queuing and started flooding the other BGs with premades for their honor.

But credit where credit is due for organizing the premades. I have played on your premade teams and against your teams (I have both horde and alliance toons)
Edited by Berewakk on 4/19/2012 1:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]